Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Hello thread I got really depressed this past week or so after blowing some job interviews and had a dietary relapse but I managed to stop it and get back in keto because I wanted to brag eventually like that shirtless goon upthread. Thanks GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Hello thread I got really depressed this past week or so after blowing some job interviews and had a dietary relapse but I managed to stop it and get back in keto because I wanted to brag eventually like that shirtless goon upthread. Thanks GBS

No biggie going off the wagon a bit, good bounceback

I’m in 2 week weight stall again, now to wake up one day and randomly be 6 pounds lighter..... i hope

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope you all reach your goals

As a goon who already completed this journey and went from a fattie with bad posture to someone with abs and so much muscle that my old shirts actually became too tight - I can tell you that it's extremely worth it.

Perks of being fit:

People automatically respect you more
Clothes look better on you. Like way better
Girls/Boys are way more into you
You usually have more energy
You usually just feel better in general
You can do more stuff and do it more efficiently
Your confidence will soar

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Feeling all those perks

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I wish we made fun of fat people more in this thread I think that would make it more popular.

Some middle aged woman insisting to me she plays lovely browser pet games nine hours a day and is morbidly obese because 'her health collapsed' and there's nothing else she can do and just lol at a grown adult mixing up such a simple concept as cause and effect and getting it all backwards.

Also just like...pet sites, what the hell. At least play games that are good as you wheeze away the final years of your life.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 4, 2018

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

edit: nevermind!

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 4, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There should be laws against the overflow effect

if your rear end and/or panniculus spills over and touches other people, you will be punished

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

more popular

problem spotted

stop caring about popularity and maybe you won't feel compelled to gang up on the socially vulnerable

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

I hope you all reach your goals

As a goon who already completed this journey and went from a fattie with bad posture to someone with abs and so much muscle that my old shirts actually became too tight - I can tell you that it's extremely worth it.

Perks of being fit:

People automatically respect you more
Girls/Boys are way more into you
You usually have more energy
You usually just feel better in general
You can do more stuff and do it more efficiently
Your confidence will soar

You don't have "abs". Hth

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

runupon cracker posted:

problem spotted

stop caring about popularity and maybe you won't feel compelled to gang up on the socially vulnerable

I'd rather sit next to Adolf Hitler on the plane than someone spilling over into all the nearby seats. What I'm saying is that fat people are literally worse than hitler. There's no actual downside to making GBS threads on fat people.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

You don't have "abs". Hth

Pretty sure I do buddy! Unless they are cancer cysts under the skin instead

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Pretty sure I do buddy! Unless they are cancer cysts under the skin instead

Ok then let's see

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
you're trying to trap me into posting pictures of myself

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Nurge posted:

I'd rather sit next to Adolf Hitler on the plane than someone spilling over into all the nearby seats. What I'm saying is that fat people are literally worse than hitler. There's no actual downside to making GBS threads on fat people.

I'm sorry you feel so lovely about your own life that you feel the need to validate yourself by dehumanizing people.

Are you also a magachud? It definitely fits the pattern just fyi.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Last fatty thread got closed because it was described as "Basically a bunch of former fat people lost weight because they were depressed, found out they were still miserable after they got in shape, and now lash out against current fatties to feel better about themselves". Can't say the results weren't there, it hit like a thousand pages ez.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

runupon cracker posted:

I'm sorry you feel so lovely about your own life that you feel the need to validate yourself by dehumanizing people.

Are you also a magachud? It definitely fits the pattern just fyi.

I'm sorry I wasn't born into the generation of humorless idiots who think empathy is the only virtue and that you can't make fun of things. Also I vote for these people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Alliance_(Finland). I don't know if that makes me a magachud or not. You figure it out.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like half my office signed memberships with a "hot yoga" place in May and now they're trying to cancel because none of them has been in the last month. They're switched to some sort of collagen weight loss shake instead.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

let's not turn this into another fat people hate thread. those threads always attract the worst scum bags

editing my previous post.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Personal progress has been good. My abs have gotten a lot more defined recently, and I've gained another 2 pull ups on my max. I've switched from 4 workouts a week to 5, with dedicated push/pull days rather than all-around days.

Yesterday I went to an outdoor calisthenics park and worked out with my shirt off and felt very comfortable doing so, something I wouldn't have done a couple weeks ago.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Verisimilidude posted:

let's not turn this into another fat people hate thread. those threads always attract the worst scum bags

editing my previous post.

Oh yeah. I don't really want the thread to go back either. This is fine. I just reject the idea that you can't hate on idiots. It's great and it's fun.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Nurge posted:

Oh yeah. I don't really want the thread to go back either. This is fine. I just reject the idea that you can't hate on idiots. It's great and it's fun.

Self loathing is never cool

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Self loathing is never cool

It's the most important tool for self improvement. If you think loving yourself is the key, you're goddamn deluded tbh.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Nurge posted:

It's the most important tool for self improvement. If you think loving yourself is the key, you're goddamn deluded tbh.

You can love yourself and hate the way you're living. It's good to be able to say, I love myself too much to keep doing self-destructive things. It's not that different from wanting a loved one to take care of their health because you care about them.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I want people I hate to get fit and healthy so they spend a longer time suffering on this gay Earth

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Bobbie Wickham posted:

You can love yourself and hate the way you're living. It's good to be able to say, I love myself too much to keep doing self-destructive things. It's not that different from wanting a loved one to take care of their health because you care about them.

This is not what people do though, they love themselves because they are perfect and worthy just the way they are no matter how they are and anyone who criticizes anything about their behavior is a hateful self-loathing sadsack bullying them to try to feel better about themselves. There are entire dangerous loving movements preaching this to anyone who will listen but people who tell kids with diabetes in their families just looking for advice that they should be eating 6000 calories a day and throw the scale away because medical science is a conspiracy and a lie should be protected as 'vulnerable populations' lmao.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I don't know that this is the thread for this any more really, but I'll take a stab at this one. Hating the way you behave is the same thing as hating yourself, because you are what you do. The self isn't some immutable absolute. Who "you" are dies and someone else replaces it every second of every day and so who you are changes little by little. If you hate your behaviour, you hate yourself. And there's nothing wrong with that. The only time this becomes a problem is when people get too obsessive about it and it develops into mental conditions, eating disorders, etc. A lot of that can be blamed on outside influence and pressure by media and society though. You can reasonably hate yourself to change yourself, and become someone you love. It can be a great motivator.

Having reasonable and attainable goals is a good way to not veer off into madness. Goals like trying to look like airbrushed models, or trying to win the gold medal at the olympics are good ways to become an obsessive weirdo and probably develop huge mental issues.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 5, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
IF you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zzulu posted:

This was so eye opening. I used to hate clothes shopping because everything looked terrible on me. Now I love it. I walk into any store and pick anything off the rack and it looks good on me. I'm actually picky and developing a style. If you'd have told me that two years ago that I'd be the type of dude to spend hours in dressing rooms comparing outfits, I'd have laughed in your face.

Seriously being fit is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

This thread took a bit of a turn from positive and helpful to "negative reinforcement is the only type of motivator"

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kullik posted:

This thread took a bit of a turn from positive and helpful to "negative reinforcement is the only type of motivator"

I'm not really seeing that but it's also good to acknowledge that different things work for different people. I've been overweight my entire life and being positive didn't do poo poo, it was only with some extreme examples of what I absolutely didn't want to be (in denial and constantly shifting blame for my own health onto outside factors) put in front of me on a daily basis that I was finally able to identify and confront my various lovely eating habits and take responsibility for changing them. Added to that, narcissism and science denial are not positive traits in anybody and seeing goons defending that mentality is just fuckin weird.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 5, 2018

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

making GBS threads on the fatties in the thread to help them isnt great optics

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
To take things back to the positive, I realised that as of around now I've been running for 4 years now, I completed couch 2 5K towards the end of summer 2014 having embarked on it at the start of my weight loss, by early spring 2015 I'd hit my goal weight and have stuck with it ever since, and I never stopped running.

I eat MORE now than when I was bigger (I lost around 65 lbs) because I run enough to counterbalance it and I continue to calorie count in my day to day life (special occasions aside) so I have the confidence that it's going to stay off

Here's my progress

And here's me running the London Marathon earlier this year

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So hows your excess skin?
Im serious, how did it work out for you?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nurge posted:

I don't know that this is the thread for this any more really, but I'll take a stab at this one. Hating the way you behave is the same thing as hating yourself, because you are what you do. The self isn't some immutable absolute. Who "you" are dies and someone else replaces it every second of every day and so who you are changes little by little. If you hate your behaviour, you hate yourself. And there's nothing wrong with that. The only time this becomes a problem is when people get too obsessive about it and it develops into mental conditions, eating disorders, etc. A lot of that can be blamed on outside influence and pressure by media and society though. You can reasonably hate yourself to change yourself, and become someone you love. It can be a great motivator.

Having reasonable and attainable goals is a good way to not veer off into madness. Goals like trying to look like airbrushed models, or trying to win the gold medal at the olympics are good ways to become an obsessive weirdo and probably develop huge mental issues.

This is awful advice. Almost all of it.

Are you actually incapable of holding an opinion of someone more nuanced than "person good" or "person bad?"

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kullik posted:

making GBS threads on the fatties in the thread to help them isnt great optics

If you don't want to be fat you should eat less calories than you burn, and anyone who insists otherwise is a liar--a bad personality trait possessed by bad people. I'm not interested in arguing about whether honesty is positive or negative, all l I can say is it's been working for me. I've lost almost 40lbs and all I had to do was finally be truthful and accountable to myself and with others about the number of calories I was eating every day instead of just moaning about how my diets never worked.

I feel like I discovered the cure for cancer and it's the simplest thing imaginable but all around me every day people are snorting lines of powdered fuckin uranium and don't want to hear about it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Zoe posted:

seeing goons defending that mentality is just fuckin weird.

Literally no one has done this

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Verisimilidude posted:

Literally no one has done this

Yes they have but in hindsight I forgot I was supposed to ignore the anime avatar person.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

We should all be destructively judging people for making the same mistakes we just learned to stop making

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So hows your excess skin?
Im serious, how did it work out for you?

mine, or in general?

I only lost 65 lbs, so I don't really have any. You tend to only see major issues when someone was morbidly or supermorbidly obese, like 100, 200, 300+ lbs lost. I was barely over the overweight category (about 2 BMI points into obese, which is 30+) so it wasn't an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

This thread is about weight loss and not about how much smarter and better you are than fat people for figuring out CICO and then having the mental fortitude to act on it.