Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wasn't that Yentl

https://youtu.be/8kN7EyPBmrI

Trapper song and When I was on Top of you are the beginning of the genius composer that is Parker.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

bushisms.txt posted:

https://youtu.be/8kN7EyPBmrI

Trapper song and When I was on Top of you are the beginning of the genius composer that is Parker.

I like how the opening musical number of Time Warped, his second failed musical project, was a beat-for-beat and shot-for-shot remake of "Schpadoinkle." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu1R8OjLU9g

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hereditary: is good

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
drat straight.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I love videos like these. It shows how the best thing in a category just becomes the norm after a few years and how people keep innovating. Plus, I've always liked the whole "in the shoulder of giants thing". Really shows how the bootstraps thing and "I did this on my own" is complete bull.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
lmao

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorman Thomas posted:

Actually the good version of Bone Tomahawk is Ravenous

Odd that Hollywood's never made a straight version of the Donner Party story. Get Russell Crowe as George Donner, Christian Bale as James Reed etc. Get some deranged but well-liked director who will literally starve their actors and force them to drive wagons across a salt flat in Utah then live in ox-hide lean-tos in a blizzard. Oscar bait start to finish.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How'd you see it?

It's on YouTube. Just do yourself a favour and don't check out the other videos on that channel.

the wobble
May 22, 2005

Bryter Layter
Doctor Rope

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's on YouTube. Just do yourself a favour and don't check out the other videos on that channel.

I saw the film in an art-house cinema in Brussels/Belgium more than 20 years ago and about the only thing I remember from the experience is that I was broken leaving the theater... Thanks for the reminder though, searching for info on it now I found that the film is completely downloadable from the director's website http://www.syberberg.de/Syberberg2/Events_2003/uncut.html , and think it's time for a rewatch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Miseducation of Cameron Post was good. Great performances, great cinematography, great soundtrack, and the 90's aesthetic feels good.

It is, however, incredibly frustrating spending the majority of the film in a gay conversion camp run by Nurse Ratched-lite. It perfectly captures the emotional abuse in the name of Christianity and faith and how that further complicates the moral confusion and self-doubt that is being a teenager in puberty, but it does so without vilifying religion and faith as a whole.

It's kinda like Lady Bird set in a gay conversion camp, but not nearly as warm-hearted and optimistic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Am I wrong or is this a Big Deal? It wasn't really on my radar:

quote:

EU to move ahead with cultural quotas for streaming services
The proposals will require that streaming services give over at least 30% of their on-demand catalogues to original productions made in each EU country where a service is provided (individual EU Member States could choose to set the content bar even higher, at 40%).

Streaming services will also have to ensure visibility and prominence for local content — so no burying the ‘European third’ in a dingy corner of the site where no one will find it, let alone stream it.

Seems like this is more likely to cause streaming services to shudder service in a lot of areas than to produce more local content. But in my wildest dreams this produces an environment akin to Italian cinema in the 60s and 70s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Don't they have/didn't they used to have something similar in Canada?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

this is really making me wish i had photoshop skills because goddamn that's a well of potential

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Watched Jawbreaker with some friends last night, and I liked it! Felt like a good bridge between Heathers and Mean Girls, without being as good as them, but still able to hold its own. I feel like there was a more interesting version lying another pass or two into the script, where Rose McGowan gets turned on by the power of killing a girl, hiding the body, and forcing the only willing witnesses to cover up and goes on to kill more people, but what it presents is already pretty dark and weird, so maybe it was fine playing it a little lighter. Still, liked the performances, cinematography, and candy-colored production design.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I vaguely remember a black and white movie called Singapore Sling. Anyone here seen it? Something about a private eye and bizarre sexual scenes is all I remember.

I’ve seen it. It’s not that good. Great cinematography, but the script is pretty weak and the only thing it has going for is is the contrast between well-lit neo-noir visuals and sexual perversion. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is a much better mix of grotesquerie and beauty.

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm waffling on Super cause I haven't seen it and i don't know how far things get with it. The actors are crowd favorites though.

If your audience has issues with sexual violence, do not show Super. As a whole, Super is a very dark, unpleasant movie, but there is a scene where Ellen Page rapes Rainn Wilson and it’s just about the grimmest thing in the whole movie.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Wheat Loaf posted:

Odd that Hollywood's never made a straight version of the Donner Party story. Get Russell Crowe as George Donner, Christian Bale as James Reed etc. Get some deranged but well-liked director who will literally starve their actors and force them to drive wagons across a salt flat in Utah then live in ox-hide lean-tos in a blizzard. Oscar bait start to finish.

Innaritu?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Watched Jawbreaker with some friends last night, and I liked it! Felt like a good bridge between Heathers and Mean Girls, without being as good as them, but still able to hold its own. I feel like there was a more interesting version lying another pass or two into the script, where Rose McGowan gets turned on by the power of killing a girl, hiding the body, and forcing the only willing witnesses to cover up and goes on to kill more people, but what it presents is already pretty dark and weird, so maybe it was fine playing it a little lighter. Still, liked the performances, cinematography, and candy-colored production design.

I’ve seen it. It’s not that good. Great cinematography, but the script is pretty weak and the only thing it has going for is is the contrast between well-lit neo-noir visuals and sexual perversion. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is a much better mix of grotesquerie and beauty.

If your audience has issues with sexual violence, do not show Super. As a whole, Super is a very dark, unpleasant movie, but there is a scene where Ellen Page rapes Rainn Wilson and it’s just about the grimmest thing in the whole movie.

I always thought the hallmark card audio chip being the vessel of comeuppance was weird but a macguffin is a macguffin. Or the jawbreaker is the macguffin and the hallmark is chekov's gun. It does a good job of predicting callout culture pre social media. Also Judy Greer in one of her wildest roles

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

the wobble posted:

I saw the film in an art-house cinema in Brussels/Belgium more than 20 years ago and about the only thing I remember from the experience is that I was broken leaving the theater...

Did they show the whole film in one piece? I'm not sure I'd have the stamina for that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That near-solid two decades of Spielberg/Lucas/Zemeckis/Cameron

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alan Smithee posted:

I always thought the hallmark card audio chip being the vessel of comeuppance was weird but a macguffin is a macguffin. Or the jawbreaker is the macguffin and the hallmark is chekov's gun. It does a good job of predicting callout culture pre social media. Also Judy Greer in one of her wildest roles

Fern Mayo is hilarious, because the only way to make Judy Greer unattractive is to give her a terrible wig.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It's funny how Judy Greer spent her career playing ugly duckling types with the pinnacle being seen as kitty Sanchez even though she's a total :swoon:

Now she plays...high strung moms

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

It's funny how Judy Greer spent her career playing ugly duckling types with the pinnacle being seen as kitty Sanchez even though she's a total :swoon:

Now she plays...high strung moms

Uh, she's a crush/sexual fantasy in Adaptation, from 16 years ago.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This sounds about right.

the wobble
May 22, 2005

Bryter Layter
Doctor Rope

Samuel Clemens posted:

Did they show the whole film in one piece? I'm not sure I'd have the stamina for that.

No, there was a lunch break if I recall. I'm quite a go-getter in these kinds of things, but the pause there was welcome :-)
The theater by the way, if you're ever around these parts, is a must-see in Brussels for film-fans, one of the best film museums in the world http://cinematek.be/.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You forgot to mention that the rape scene is played for laughs. Super is just a pile of poo poo movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can basically define James Gunn by the fact he wrote “and then the GIRL rapes the GUY!!!!!!!” into a script and clearly thought it was some hardcore shocking poo poo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

You forgot to mention that the rape scene is played for laughs. Super is just a pile of poo poo movie.

I don't think it is

To elaborate, the only "funny" thing about it is the rapist saying the word "gushy", and it's more creepy than funny. The scene is one of the darkest of the film.

It was a major talking point in a lot of reviews interviews, and I don't remember it ever being described as humorous or comedic.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 5, 2018

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alan Smithee posted:

See, I realized that everything I’d seen her in before Jawbreaker (barring Pottersville) she was always played up as ultra-sexualized.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

I don't think it is

To elaborate, the only "funny" thing about it is the rapist saying the word "gushy", and it's more creepy than funny. The scene is one of the darkest of the film.

It was a major talking point in a lot of reviews interviews, and I don't remember it ever being described as humorous or comedic.

I think one of Super’s major failings is that it’s too funny, where the rape scene (to me at least) isn’t played for laughs, but because of the film leading up to it you could easily think it’s supposed to be funny. Unintentionally adding that element of ambiguity to an extremely gross, unpleasant scene is not a good thing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

Uh, she's a crush/sexual fantasy in Adaptation, from 16 years ago.

Not to mention, in Arrested Development, one of her character’s gimmicks is always lifting up her shirt, and in Three Kings her introduction is her banging George Clooney.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, for sure. Syberberg used to host his films on his own site. I was just curious because I wonder what the experience was like watching on a computer screen or whatever, I sat through that motherfucker in the theater.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
So apparently Walter from The Big Lebowksi is popular with alt-righters and it's like...did you not watch the loving movie?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

James Woods Fan posted:

So apparently Walter from The Big Lebowksi is popular with alt-righters and it's like...did you not watch the loving movie?

These people do not possess self awareness. They see it and see a guy who never backs down and acts tough.

They gloss over him essentially being cucked (in the traditional sense, not the dumb new version), I guess.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

James Woods Fan posted:

I mean, Walter is technically proven right about everything in the movie except that Lebowski can walk.

edit: Also, gun nuts love the Over The Line scene.

Walter's alt-right popularity seems inevitable, really.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 5, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

I don't think it is

This is correct.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, Walter is technically proven right about everything in the movie except that Lebowski can walk.

edit: Also, gun nuts love the Over The Line scene.

Walter's alt-right popularity seems inevitable, really.

The line I think about most often about him is "You're not wrong, Walter, you're just an rear end in a top hat". Plenty of people value being right over being decent, I guess.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

These people do not possess self awareness. They see it and see a guy who never backs down and acts tough.

They gloss over him essentially being cucked (in the traditional sense, not the dumb new version), I guess.

That or they also identify with his humiliations. He's divorced, lives alone, deeply resentful while pretending he's not, has been "wronged" by a woman, and in turn lashes out by pointing guns and is never properly punished for that. The pathetic parts of the character are inherently relatable, especially for the alt-right crowd, and as such they're going to admire him even more.

Not sure how they square him being Jewish though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

A convert from Roman Catholicism to Judaism, no less.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Not all alt right poo poo bags hate the Jews. This is especially true with Christian Bigots where if they're really Christian (like actually read the Bible) they think the Apocalypse can't happen without Israel existing so while they think all Jews are going to hell, they are cool with them existing. The weirdest version of this was always Jack Chick, who hated everyone, including Christians in his own branch that didn't take things seriously enough, but he was usually oddly positive towards Jews and it really stuck out.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Used to hang out with a sentient Trump loving turd that hated Jews and was bitter about only being an extra in movies (he was well over 400 pounds so I don't know what roles he was expecting?). He would rant about Jews running Hollywood and all that poo poo but then he'd be super supportive of Israel. I asked him how he could reconcile being a massive anti-semite while supporting Israel and his response was "Israel is where Jesus is going to reemerge". This was like 15 years ago and it was my first exposure to this idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

The modern far right takes its cues from a Jewish ethnostate.

• Locked thread