Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What I found:

https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/ion/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's awesome, thanks.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So my steering wheel cover is falling apart. I started looking under it and I found out that the reason the PO put it on is because the covering on the steering wheel itself was coming off. It's a mess of fake leather and electrical tape under there. Who would I talk to to get the original wheel recovered?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I've a 2001 Chevy Cavalier with 128k miles. About one time out if ten when starting, it'll sort of "half start" with the check engine light on, as well as check oil and check battery. Is this kind of thing generally an alternator issue?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kid sinister posted:

So my steering wheel cover is falling apart. I started looking under it and I found out that the reason the PO put it on is because the covering on the steering wheel itself was coming off. It's a mess of fake leather and electrical tape under there. Who would I talk to to get the original wheel recovered?

Upholstery shop maybe? Or replace the wheel if it's readily available. I'm looking at the latter for my CR-V, apparently something in my hands is eating the urethane. Probably going to buy a leather wheel for the higher trim and replace the buttons while I'm at it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dandywalken posted:

I've a 2001 Chevy Cavalier with 128k miles. About one time out if ten when starting, it'll sort of "half start" with the check engine light on, as well as check oil and check battery. Is this kind of thing generally an alternator issue?

It sounds like you need to hold the key on "start" longer.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

PainterofCrap posted:

Definitely something in the serpentine belt circuit. You will have to take a look while someone cranks/starts the engine. It should become apparent rather quicky that a turny bit is not doing its job, and the serp belt is particularly unhappy about it, and making sure everyone in the area knows it.

Hopefully, it's a tensioner or idler pulley, rather than your alternator, water pump or (if so equipped) A/C compressor or power steering pump.

We'll look into it, thanks a lot - I think I have heard something about the AC being dry so it's possible someone turned it on in error and cooked the compressor.

Hopefully just a pulley.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kid sinister posted:

It's a Dodge you drive isn't it? The one on my ram started disintegrating when it had 12k miles on it. I've had a cover on ever since.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

Upholstery shop maybe? Or replace the wheel if it's readily available. I'm looking at the latter for my CR-V, apparently something in my hands is eating the urethane. Probably going to buy a leather wheel for the higher trim and replace the buttons while I'm at it.

Whenever I've driven after applying sunscreen and/or insect repellent, I've noticed a nice layer of black crud on my hands from the steering wheel. Not using such things isn't an option for me, so the steering wheels of vehicles I drive in the summer slowly get eroded. DEET, the active ingredient in insect repellents, is a lovely solvent for a range of widely-used plastics; dribble a little on a plastic raincoat and see what happens!

OP, get a leather (not fake leather) steering-wheel cover, something that evokes 1973 and nasty mustaches.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I’m looking to pull some rims off of something in a scrap yard for a stock 2000 firebird but I’m not sure what will fit. Any suggestions?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking to pull some rims off of something in a scrap yard for a stock 2000 firebird but I’m not sure what will fit. Any suggestions?

Other fourthgens and Corvettes should all have the same bolt pattern and similar enough geometry. Technically S10 wheels might work too :v:

ExecuDork posted:

Whenever I've driven after applying sunscreen and/or insect repellent, I've noticed a nice layer of black crud on my hands from the steering wheel. Not using such things isn't an option for me, so the steering wheels of vehicles I drive in the summer slowly get eroded.

Still nowhere near as bad as the junkyard second-gen Camaro steering wheel my dad had in C10 for a decade+. Whoever drove it in its original car must have used some sort of crazy rear end lotion on the regular because for literally *years* that wheel would seep black goop every time it got hot. In Arizona. Even soaked through a leather sew-on cover. It stopped ruining jeans by the time I started driving it but it was still a mess so a Grant was one of the first things that truck got.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well poo poo on me, after replacing the thermostat and coolant in the CJ-7 *something* is making a lot of noise up front. It's not a belt squeal, it sounds more like a rubbing noise but I can't see anything contacting anywhere. Could I have hosed up my alternator when the drat thermostat housing (which points right at the alternator) jizzed coolant on/around it? In the general wetness of flushing the radiator, is there somewhere I could have gotten water that would have messed up lubrication?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Getting a grinding noise when taking right turns from the rear. It's not wheel bearing but it something with the disc. I have a feeling its something with the dust shield and the rotor.

I was going to take this rotor off and put some dykem on the dust shield and rotate the rotor a few times to see the rub spots. I considered putting it on the rotor and seeing what happens.

Edit-took the tire off last night and hit the dust shield in a few spots around the rotor and it appears to have stopped the grinding.

stgdz fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 5, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A dumb "what would you do?" scenario. I'm selling my '09 Hyundai Elantra GLS because all sorts of little things are breaking on it (door handles, power window buttons, etc). And I feel like it's only a matter of time until the transmission shits itself because I swear Hyundais are on a timer and die once you're out of the warranty period.

My mom's got an old '98 Camry. Which, despite its age is holding up pretty well (tough to beat Toyota quality, even if it’s from the '90s). A serious tank of a vehicle. But some parts of her Camry are so rusted shut that they're almost impossible to work on.

tl;dr Would you replace an old as gently caress Camry with an '09 Elantra that seems to be a ticking maintenance bomb? I’ve taken care of my Elantra religiously but shoddy build quality is probably going to catch up, at some point.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 5, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

melon cat posted:

A dumb "what would you do?" scenario. I'm selling my '09 Hyundai Elantra GLS because all sorts of little things are breaking on it (door handles, power window buttons, etc). And I feel like it's only a matter of time until the transmission shits itself because I swear Hyundais are on a timer and die once you're out of the warranty period.

My mom's got an old '98 Camry. Which, despite its age is holding up pretty well (tough to beat Toyota quality, even if it’s from the '90s). A serious tank of a vehicle. But some parts of her Camry are so rusted shut that they're almost impossible to work on.

tl;dr Would you replace an old as gently caress Camry with an '09 Elantra that seems to be a ticking maintenance bomb? I’ve taken care of my Elantra religiously but shoddy build quality is probably going to catch up, at some point.

Your question is confusing. Are you asking if you should sell the Elantra and drive an 11 year older car? Or give your Elantra to your mom?

It sounds like the Hyundai is having minor problems only. How much is it worth? I’d just keep it and drive it until it dies since I can’t imagine you’d get more than a couple grand for it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Your question is confusing. Are you asking if you should sell the Elantra and drive an 11 year older car? Or give your Elantra to your mom?

It sounds like the Hyundai is having minor problems only. How much is it worth? I’d just keep it and drive it until it dies since I can’t imagine you’d get more than a couple grand for it.
Elantra's worth $4000 on the used market. Not a whole lot.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 11, 2024

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Why would you even contemplate giving your mother a car that you regard as a ticking time bomb / hassle / lemon? What have you got against your mother?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

ExecuDork posted:

Why would you even contemplate giving your mother a car that you regard as a ticking time bomb / hassle / lemon? What have you got against your mother?
Calling it a "ticking timebomb" might've been a bit much on my part. I'm more concerned about the smaller Elantra problems snowballing into something larger, because the Elantra works just fine right now but the repairs that I have done on it seem to be becoming more commonplace the closer I am to the end of the vehicle's warranty. But in either case- she isn't taking it after all since she doesn't want a manual transmission. So that conversation's done and over with.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 5, 2018

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Thought I was reading that backwards too. Don't pass a problem car off on your own family, yikes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
is there a legit karting thread floating around SA somewhere? (LO206)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Chunjee posted:

Thought I was reading that backwards too. Don't pass a problem car off on your own family, yikes.

To be fair, nothing in that post suggests the car is a ticking time bomb beyond a general worry that something will break since it’s out of warranty.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Besides, aren't 90's Camrys basically indestructable?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My mom has a 94 Camry V6 with 230k on it. Runs perfect and rust free.

I was about to sell my own 94 camry 4 cylinder (170k), but she asked me not to - she wants it for when hers dies. She loves it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

My dad and step mom have a 92 4 cylinder Camry with 230k on it. I just did the timing belt and oil pump and it still runs like new. No rust at all either. I don't think they would ever sell it. You get your hands on a 90s Camry, you keep it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Stupid question:

What's the best looking Camry?

I'd go with 99.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

They are all beautiful in their own way.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

shy boy from chess club posted:

They are all beautiful in their own way.

I dunno, the sixth generation is pretty loving hideous and I say that as a guy who had one in his driveway for 3 years

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Let's ask everdave, he will know

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Only 80s and 90s ones. After that they try to hard to be cool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My headliner is falling down (and driving with the windows down all the time isn't helping things). What's the glue I need to get to spray in there to get it to stick? Or would I be better off going to a shop to do it for me.

FWIW, it's coming down around the light in the back, so there is a big opening that I can spray glue through.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Uthor posted:

My headliner is falling down (and driving with the windows down all the time isn't helping things). What's the glue I need to get to spray in there to get it to stick? Or would I be better off going to a shop to do it for me.

FWIW, it's coming down around the light in the back, so there is a big opening that I can spray glue through.

Pretty sure it's this stuff.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BBV2S/

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
And also these from your local place where glue doesn't reach.

https://www.amazon.com/Sagging-HEADLINER-REPAIR-RETAINING-PINS-Set/dp/B002Z04XGK

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Chunjee posted:

. Don't pass a problem car off on your own family, yikes.

My mom screamed and hollered until my dad agreed to buy her aunt's one year old car with like 7000 km on it.

It was a 1990 Mercury Topaz.......... she regretted it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Great!

Great if I'm feeling lazy!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
My best friend growing up had that exact car! It was the most underpowered thing I've ever been in and I've been in at least three extremely underpowered hondas.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well poo poo on me, after replacing the thermostat and coolant in the CJ-7 *something* is making a lot of noise up front. It's not a belt squeal, it sounds more like a rubbing noise but I can't see anything contacting anywhere. Could I have hosed up my alternator when the drat thermostat housing (which points right at the alternator) jizzed coolant on/around it? In the general wetness of flushing the radiator, is there somewhere I could have gotten water that would have messed up lubrication?

Thinking there may have been some coolant deposited on the belts and making them noisy (read: grasping at cheap straws) I took a spray bottle of water and sprayed it on the belts while the engine was running. With a little experimentation I found that the belt itself didn't seem to have an effect, but hitting the hub of the power steering pump immediately silenced the noise.

Think the pulley is slipping on the shaft, or could the bearings within the pump itself be hosed? It's sort of a metal-on-metal noise, with an oscillating element to it like whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh rather than a constant noise.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 6, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yes to both. The bearings are going, it's binding up, and the belt is consequently dragging around the pulley.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

Yes to both. The bearings are going, it's binding up, and the belt is consequently dragging around the pulley.

Are the bearings replaceable or do I just order a new pump? They're pretty reasonable on Rockauto so that might just be the way to go.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

New pump. IT'S A MESSY JOB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
On the sagging roof liner thing, I know it's only a temp repair (because the cause is rotting foam behind and the glue can get messy or show through), but is there any spray glue that you can get with a nozzle that suits a straw? Like the old wd40 cans?
I need to put off my full proper relining replacement job for a while, but it's sagging in the middle and I think making a small hole and spraying with a straw where needed would be better as I won't disturb the other parts of the liner still hanging on.