Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fast travel can be cool dudes, just gotta think outside the box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7XjidN090

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

it was a very mediocre game

i'm still looking for ARPGs on the level of baldurs gate dark alliance, but aside from victor vran and the Ys games, that's not really PC's specialty (Xanadu Next comes close but is only partial controller support)

a really good one was shining force neo on ps2, despite having nothing to do with shining force. i might get EXA at some point because it's supposed to be basically more of the same

I'm one of the seven people that liked the Bards Tale action rpg.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

I'm one of the seven people that liked the Bards Tale action rpg.
I have that via Humble Monthly Trove, maybe i'll try it. i think it's the same engine as Dark Alliance

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dragon age 1 is good, and tbh I think its better than most of the "classic" bioware games. DA2 is rear end, and DAI is the most forgettable game generated by mankind

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the way jeff of GB is describing it, 'the quiet man' might be the AAA equivalent of crying is not enough

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

kingdoms of amalur was fun but extremely flawed. the game balance was completely hosed and it had tons and tons of voiced dialogue but most of it was incredibly boring. every town had lots of fully voiced nps you could talk to just because and they all said the same boring crap in slightly different ways. a mindboggling waste of time and effort

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in the x files FMV game, if you use the binoculars to look at someone's face close up, or take a picture, they say "what's wrong with you"

they had every actor record that line of dialogue in every location, rather than green-screen a stock animation, so you could do it again and again in new locations and get a new line read from the character

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

in the x files FMV game, if you use the binoculars to look at someone's face close up, or take a picture, they say "what's wrong with you"

they had every actor record that line of dialogue in every location, rather than green-screen a stock animation, so you could do it again and again in new locations and get a new line read from the character
what's wrong with you

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

chumbler posted:

If your open world doesn't have fast travel and no fall damage and you jump like 50 feet and run as fast as a car and then eventually gently caress it have a flying mech, then that open world is poo poo.

Yeah Xenoblade X was great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

what's wrong with you
they also did the same thing for "i don't want that", when you try to give them a random inventory object

they even had gillian anderson and david duchovny record those responses, which is a wild amount of effort for an FMV game especially one that only has mulder and scully in it for 1/6th of the game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Quiet Man looks like a game where the director said "I really loved the bouncer" on the toilet and some executive overheard it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

they also did the same thing for "i don't want that", when you try to give them a random inventory object

they even had gillian anderson and david duchovny record those responses, which is a wild amount of effort for an FMV game especially one that only has mulder and scully in it for 1/6th of the game

that was the first computer game i ever owned. my dad inexplicably bought it for me despite the fact neither of us ever watched an episode of the xfiles. sadly i never got it to work

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Kingdoms of Amalur was good and I'm sad we never got a sequel.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur was good and I'm sad we never got a sequel.

How many taxpayer dollars would you say is enough to make a worthy sequel?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

All of it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

to keep with the sports theme of curt schilling (amalur co-creator), much more money is spent to replace not-very-old football stadiums with marginally better ones, so just take money away from one of those projects

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man: the wily wars is pretty good when it's not running in slow motion

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know what I’ve come to dislike? 16- and 32-bit-era JRPG castles

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

You know what I’ve come to dislike? 16- and 32-bit-era JRPG castles

Wild Arms strangely had the best castles. Dragon Quest as a series in general tends to have the worst. Like why is this friendly castle that’s not a dungeon have to be a pain in the rear end to navigate with maze-like passages and going from the roof to the balcony through the dungeons as the only way to access the kitchen?

I tend to prefer castles as dungeons but my faith wavered in Tales of Destiny’s castle that has this awful zodiac puzzle out of nowhere.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The 7th Guest posted:

it was a very mediocre game

i'm still looking for ARPGs on the level of baldurs gate dark alliance, but aside from victor vran and the Ys games, that's not really PC's specialty (Xanadu Next comes close but is only partial controller support)

a really good one was shining force neo on ps2, despite having nothing to do with shining force. i might get EXA at some point because it's supposed to be basically more of the same

Diablo 3 on console has local 4 player co-op.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Wasn't there an EverQuest ARPG on ps2 that was the same engine as BGDA? I think it even got a sequel.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

I use the same pose and I'm holding a palico modeled after my IRL cat, Löwe. Games with cats are good.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

suuma posted:

Wasn't there an EverQuest ARPG on ps2 that was the same engine as BGDA? I think it even got a sequel.

Champions of Norrath 1&2 I think. They were both fun to play and I miss those type of games. Diablo 3 is close but I prefer classic fantasy settings with Elves and Dwarfs and Knights and Wizards...

I can check tonight. I should still have both those and both Dark Alliance games stashed away with my PS2.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 5, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, I still have those games too, they were a lot of fun in multiplayer. The second one was called Champions: Return to Arms, though I remember liking the first one a bit more.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Yesss, those were great.

I wonder what happened to all my ps2 games, I was so bad about taking care of discs back then.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/FlorentGorgesFR/status/1037239622395457536

:rip: intendo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Had a surprisingly great time playing the new Destiny 2 expansion all day yesterday. The encounters I've seen so far have been surprisingly fun and challenging, and I'm hugely looking forward to their heroic/endgame modes

How's DQ11 turning out? JRPG soul food, like that one Kotaku video insists?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It totally is and it's great

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

the worst was kingdoms of amalur because there was no fast travel AND no horse riding so you just had to run everywhere

This isn't true though, you can fast travel to any town.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Kingdoms of Amalur:

+ Really great world design
+ Fun combat
+ Cool monsters (but not enough of them)

- Everything else probably?

I wouldn't claim that Amalur was a "good" game, but it was entertaining enough for me to play start to finish. I think the biggest drive for me was seeing the new areas, they did a really good job of varying the environments and giving each one a lot of personality.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I loved Kingdoms of Amalur and was pretty excited for the MMORPG that was in development. From everything i've read it was EA Games fault for the titles failure.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
They were handing out old monitors at work, and I snagged one on my way out. I was hoping to use it to set up my retropie next to my bed, as bedtime gaming is probably the only way I'm gonna get to some of these older games I want to try. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually have an HDMI port and getting it covered to the ports that it does have (VGA and displayport) seem like a pain in the rear end.

I might make my way to Microcenter and see what I can rustle up but I thought this thread full of attractive geniuses might have good ideas.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur is the most boring fake looking game I've ever seen or played and it always baffled me that somebody could have played it for longer than the tutorial and not actually be a character in a Law and Order episode.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Amalur's biggest issue for me was that it started to drag on by the 3/4 point. Like, it was -too- long. Plus that universes version of elves was really weird and offputting and the whole first quarter of the game if not longer revolved around them.

EDIT: Wait, no, I was thinking of the Fae. Those guys were weird and I hated every time I had to talk to them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur is the most boring fake looking game I've ever seen or played and it always baffled me that somebody could have played it for longer than the tutorial and not actually be a character in a Law and Order episode.

yeah it seemed almost contemptibly generic to me from what i remember but to each their own

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you're into MMOs, you'd enjoy Kingdoms of Amalur.

The combat system was pretty loving decent from memory, you can basically build a spec that works for you around the types of weapons you like
(Chakrams + Giant Warmace)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1037339567630639109

Probably going to outline the online service.
35min long is nothing to sneeze at

(Please more Smash Bros characters)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Generally I actively avoid any anime dress up games or whatever the gently caress that genre is but holy poo poo the Cabaret Club Czar stuff in Yakuza 0 is addictive as hell

GOD drat IT YUKI, THE DUDE WANTS TO PARTY, GET IT TOGETHER, gently caress

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

If you're into MMOs, you'd enjoy Kingdoms of Amalur.

It was completely inspired by Everquest, but the world was missing all of the charm, mystery, and sense of exploration of Everquest. Curt Schilling use to be hardcore into EQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm listening to the Wild Arms soundtrack at work and now I want to be playing this game despite knowing nothing about it.

• Locked thread