Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"undue burden" is such horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This guy has Scalia's dick firmly in his mouth.

Of course he does, Kavanaugh is just another arch-conservative hack judge. That's why Republicans are trying to support him with the "wholesome everyman soccer dad" and "nominees can't answer how they'd rule on specific issues" lines because the reality is he'd vote in lockstep with the conservative wing of the court.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus she is loving moron, then again she comes from family that preaches super morality and then does the opposite.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

my feeling is that democrats need to work on getting outright lies on the record from him (like his claim in 2006 he wasn't involved in torture) to build a record to investigate him for lying to the Senate to get confirmed once a democratic president takes office

They already have Sessions lying to congress on the record to get confirmed and nothing came of it. There is just zero chance Senate republicans would remove one of their lifetime fascist's on the court for any reason.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Peace and love to all of you, it's been real

https://twitter.com/SweeneyABC/status/1037336124820279298

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm so glad feinstein called out the stare decisis bullshit.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I didn't think 12 monkeys was a documentary

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

loving finally

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Peace and love to all of you, it's been real

Working in NYC, this is literally my dystpoian nightmare.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

my feeling is that democrats need to work on getting outright lies on the record from him (like his claim in 2006 he wasn't involved in torture) to build a record to investigate him for lying to the Senate to get confirmed once a democratic president takes office

I agree. He'll probably Alberto Gonzalez temporary-memory-loss his way through it to try and avoid that fate though.

What are the odds that Democrats manage to get their hands on the document pile which McConnell and co buried as soon as they got a glimpse of it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Gunchat is not going anywhere in this testimony unless they get off their stupid obsession with black guns and go into all guns overall.

i don't want to get deep into gunchat, but this just isn't correct: people react viscerally to military-style weapons like an ar-15 and it's good politics to focus on the obsession with military-style weapons instead of the "self defense" and "hunting" weapons that supposedly are the basis for our need for toddlers to own guns.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Still in the Infinite Jest timeline.

The in-flight movie was the Entertainment.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i don't want to get deep into gunchat, but this just isn't correct: people react viscerally to military-style weapons like an ar-15 and it's good politics to focus on the obsession with military-style weapons instead of the "self defense" and "hunting" weapons that supposedly are the basis for our need for toddlers to own guns.

and, as southpaw is pointing out, he's already distinguishing his opinion as going farther than Scalia's

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1037345722587377664

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nothing like commemorating the 100-year anniversary of the second wave of the Spanish Flu than having a bunch of healthy people show up at their destination deathly ill.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

They already have Sessions lying to congress on the record to get confirmed and nothing came of it. There is just zero chance Senate republicans would remove one of their lifetime fascist's on the court for any reason.

sessions will be fired by the time that Democrats have the power to do something about it. Kavenaugh won't. The goal is not necessarily to impeach him (i agree that's not going to happen), but to delegitimize him in such a way you can pressure him to resign or support an expansion of the court, or use his criminality to tar republicans and their judges.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Strain viral marketing has gone too far

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

For those who didn't read the story, shot in the leg. Also: "The attacker was apparently unaware his victims were Americans. US ambassador Pete Hoekstra told Dutch TV late on Tuesday that it was an "attack on Western values"."

Hey, screw you, you glib POS. We haven't forgotten who you really are.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shifty Pony posted:

I agree. He'll probably Alberto Gonzalez temporary-memory-loss his way through it to try and avoid that fate though.

What are the odds that Democrats manage to get their hands on the document pile which McConnell and co buried as soon as they got a glimpse of it?

They need to go to a beach and find out where the baby turtles are coming from.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish they'd stop allowing him to just say i'd uphold precedent and reach back all his quotes about roe and poo poo.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I don't remember seeing his response to the Nike ad campaign mentioned ITT yet

https://deadspin.com/toilet-president-goes-easy-on-nike-for-endorsing-colin-1828818056

quote:

“I think it’s a terrible message that they’re sending and the purpose of them doing it, maybe there’s a reason for them doing it, but I think as far as sending a message, I think it’s a terrible message and a message that shouldn’t be sent. There’s no reason for it.”

“As much as I disagree with the Colin Kaepernick endorsement, in another way—I mean, I wouldn’t have done it. In another way, it is what this country is all about, that you have certain freedoms to do things that other people think you shouldn’t do, but I personally am on a different side of it.”

“Nike is a tenant of mine. They pay a lot of rent.”

Oh OK then I guess.

Also, the font Deadspin uses doesn't have a bold lowercase T :wtc:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish they'd stop allowing him to just say i'd uphold precedent and reach back all his quotes about roe and poo poo.

grassley is in charge of what the rules are and made the rule that he's not allowed to answer those questions

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Why not. Let's do this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

grassley is in charge of what the rules are and made the rule that he's not allowed to answer those questions

hahahah loving incredible.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
How many Hucks would a Woodward chuck if a Woodward could chuck Hucks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

evilweasel posted:

I agree that breaking the insane hold gun culture has on the country is key, and black guns are disproportionately held by utter tools, I just meant that in terms of what can be legislated it is not a good tack to take. But yes going off on gunchat is not a good derail.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"This seems to be a [tendency?] of mine to go through an experience and then write an article about it."

BEEP BOOP I AM CARPOOL DAD.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oh fun. Let's throw a pandemic into the mix.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

sessions will be fired by the time that Democrats have the power to do something about it. Kavenaugh won't. The goal is not necessarily to impeach him (i agree that's not going to happen), but to delegitimize him in such a way you can pressure him to resign or support an expansion of the court, or use his criminality to tar republicans and their judges.

He will never resign. It IS more ammo to argue for court packing but you don't really need ammo for process stuff. You just do what is in your power to do and court packing falls under that rubric to me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I agree that breaking the insane hold gun culture has on the country is key, and black guns are disproportionately held by utter tools, I just meant that in terms of what can be legislated it is not a good tack to take. But yes going off on gunchat is not a good derail.

yeah but what feinstein is doing is painting him, personally, as a gun extremist rather than working on legislation here.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Oh I guess they're saying 10 passengers sick now, not 100.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thing is, though, there's a handy cheat sheet

If Colin Kaepernick or Bernie Sanders flashes the "OK" hand sign, probably not intended to be racist

If an employee of Stephen Miller flashes the same sign, that's different

It's dumb, and it's at least arguably ok to still use it if you aren't a racist and aren't trying to dogwhistle with it

But if a trump admin official who works in immigration deliberately flashes it during a televised congressional hearing, well,

probably racist

:lol: at people like you considering 4chan to be the authority on what is or isn't acceptable to do

just :lol:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^^ you're a disengenious idiot.

Pestilence kramering in late as usual.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

a subpoena... a criminal trial subpoena.. for evidence.. under that set of special counsel regulations... was one of the greatest rulings

lol talk about qualifiers

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

He will never resign. It IS more ammo to argue for court packing but you don't really need ammo for process stuff. You just do what is in your power to do and court packing falls under that rubric to me.

you need the public to support court-packing, even if you won enough seats to pull it off. both to persuade vulnerable senators/reps to go along with it, and to minimize the backlash so that those seats aren't lost, since you want to hold power as long as possible. court-packing is an extreme action to take, though it has become necessary, and you need to lay the groundwork as much as possible.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Kavanaugh is bought and paid so hard. gently caress this dead gay county.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
FEINSTEIN: "Can a sitting president be required to respond to a subpoena?"

KAVANAUGH: "So that's a hypothetical question about uh what would be uh an elaboration or a difference for um US v Nixon's precise holding and I think going with the Justice Ginsberg opinion which is not really the Justice Ginsberg opinion alone: it's everyone's principle [very human smile] on the current Supreme Court and it's a matter of the canons of Judicial independence, I can't give you an answer on that hypothetical question."

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahahah loving incredible.

They got Bannon's good side.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Where are all of you going to go after Captain Trips wipes most of us out? I'm thinking Maine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that wasn't a great set of questions but recall from yesterday, Feinstein is by far the most moderate of the Senate dems on this committee. i think it's fine to get his initial equivocations on these things so Harris/Hirono/Blumenthal/Whitehouse can be more aggressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Pacra posted:

I didn't think 12 monkeys was a documentary

The Strain started like this.

e: but I'll be fine if Future rear end in a top hat shows up

• Locked thread