Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Cartoon posted:

It's the new stupid newbie avatar.

I'm a stupid newbie, so it's accurate. I can't fault it for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

drat, what happened here?

lowtax lost his spine and needed to set a new stupid newbie avatar that people would hate and would want to pay for an avatar to get rid of.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

alex314 posted:

It's been set to that for months already.

I'm mostly phone posting. I guess I hadn't noticed it until now.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Grumio posted:

Thirty Helens agree

:hai:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Steel rain continue to fall over Chungking.

This is nice and one sided.

I'll take a 5-1 kill rate in late '44 any day!

A quieter day today, but we are still winning in the air!

Tomorrow, however, should be fun.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Had to crank my volume to 9 for this one. It wasn't badly balanced between your voice and the game sound, it's just the overall volume was super low.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Had to crank my volume to 9 for this one. It wasn't badly balanced between your voice and the game sound, it's just the overall volume was super low.

Dammit. I turned some settings down to try and get rid of the wind in combat mission and never turned them back up. This will be an issue for the next couple of visiting then should be fixed!

I'm still learning a new video setup, and it's being a bit annoying.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I feel like we've been bombing Chunking for eons

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

months, its not doing much, but gives me something to say!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Its time to assault Chungking again, imo. See about blasting through those forts.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

4 September 1944

A US air raid on Genoa sinks the German torpedo boat TA-28 (ex-Italian Rigel) and corvette Uj-6085 (ex-Italian Renna) as well as damaging the nearly complete destroyer TA-33 (ex-Italian Corsaro II) beyond repair.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

It's tomorrow and I lust for ship death. I'm ambivalent towards who owns them

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

Its time to assault Chungking again, imo. See about blasting through those forts.

I mean, it's not like there's much else you could use those soldiers for....

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
You can't bomb fortifications directly, can you? Is that an obscure option in a sub-sub-menu for artillery bombardments?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wait, they shot back?

Mwah ha ha!

My subs are on the war path today!

Still not attack at Chungking.

Time to take more troops out! At least I can go invade India if this doesn't work!

My land based planes make a foolish attack, it seems that co-ordination between them and the Navy is lacking.

The plane strike runs into a wall of flak. No hits are recorded.

The afternoon strike records the same thing, planes kill what the flak does not. We can get planes on target, but we can't get through the support ships.

Their return strike is anaemic.

The carriers will return home to restock their planes. I think the American carriers will survive just through flak and CAP, I can out play them, but can't reach them any more. And I can't afford to lose 100 planes a day trying!

Then again, planes are replaceable, and at least my carriers took no hits! Shame about all those newly trained pilots though!

barman
Jan 29, 2013
Grey: why do you need carrière if you have 3 islands with Airbases ?

Why not fly in 100 zero’s and 200 jills , Francis and betties from the phillipines (which is in range, you can fly them in any time)) and blow them out of the water , if you are gonna Use a hammer , Use a BIG hammer !

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I thought we weren't using zeroes any more, too. Are they still the only carrier-based fighter available?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

barman posted:

Grey: why do you need carrière if you have 3 islands with Airbases ?

Why not fly in 100 zero’s and 200 jills , Francis and betties from the phillipines (which is in range, you can fly them in any time)) and blow them out of the water , if you are gonna Use a hammer , Use a BIG hammer !

The lack of land based air striking against naval threats has been odd. Never played this game, but IRL one of the big justifications for having carriers in the first place was to counter the land based air advantage an adversary would have in a Pacific conflict. And that keeps never happening.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I thought we weren't using zeroes any more, too. Are they still the only carrier-based fighter available?

Unless Grey has started producing Sams (A7M) without mentioning it, Zeroes are still the only carrier-based fighter available. Historically Sams never actually reached full production status though that was in large part due to several delays that shouldn't be present here, so they could theoretically be coming online in a few months or so.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Firing 1800 guns to kill 50 dudes is kinda welp

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Now that their air wings are depleted, this calls for a battleship sortie.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

PittTheElder posted:

The lack of land based air striking against naval threats has been odd. Never played this game, but IRL one of the big justifications for having carriers in the first place was to counter the land based air advantage an adversary would have in a Pacific conflict. And that keeps never happening.

This happened in real life - American air strikes, sweeps, and lrcap really hammered Japanese airfields, and the construction of a major airfield was considered a large enough threat to prompt the entire Guadalcanal campaign. Between that, overextension (or simply a failure to properly concentrate force), the unneeded transferring of land based air groups back to the home islands early in the war, and pilot attrition, Japanese land based air was never as effective as it could have been.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

wiegieman posted:

This happened in real life - American air strikes, sweeps, and lrcap really hammered Japanese airfields, and the construction of a major airfield was considered a large enough threat to prompt the entire Guadalcanal campaign. Between that, overextension (or simply a failure to properly concentrate force), the unneeded transferring of land based air groups back to the home islands early in the war, and pilot attrition, Japanese land based air was never as effective as it could have been.

Totally, but this doesn’t really explain why land-based air hasn’t been much of a factor in this campaign. The Marianas for instance are apparently in decent supply (barring the convoy that got savaged recently) and close enough to Japan that it shouldn’t be too hard to get planes there. But we haven’t seen many strikes launched from Guam/Saipan/Tinian.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, there is something odd with my ground based planes. They never seem to do much.

I am shipping in more and more to Guam though, the constant carrier patrols are a pain though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, there is something odd with my ground based planes. They never seem to do much.

I am shipping in more and more to Guam though, the constant carrier patrols are a pain though.

What mission are they set to?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Grey Hunter posted:

Wait, they shot back?

aaaaAAAAAAAAHHH!!! Stay away from my beautiful baby Tone. :argh:

GH send her back to Japan and keep her someplace completely safe to wait out the rest of the war.

I hear Hiroshima is nice this time of year....

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Yeah, I've seen LBA be a big threat before in the games by the witp lifers, it's probably an interface issue.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
How many planes are currently deployed in the Marianas? We've only seen about 50 planes in all, which is only about half the capacity of a single Essex or Yorktown. Not much they can do while outnumbered 4 to 1.

There are lots of things that are easy to forget to check in a rear-area that's now the front line: airfield size (did you build up Guam since conquering it or is it below size 4?), amount of aviation support in the hex (do you have at least 1 per plane?), supply in the hex (are you at the magic value of 20k to take replacement planes?), and whether any group is short on pilots (because the game doesn't refill these automatically for some reason). If there are Betties around, are they supplied with torpedoes?

barman
Jan 29, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Why SHIP planes in when they can fly in ?

The only thing you need is a level 2 airfield, some supplies and some aviation support, to launch a ship attack with single engine airplanes. So 100 oscars set low low naval attack can blow up these carriers easily if protected by some fighters.

Since you just produced 800 Helen transports ! Are you sure you are flying in the right planes ?

Preferably we want single engine planes , on naval attack mission, 1000 ft , 10 % on search mission and lots of them

barman
Jan 29, 2013
And remember, with all these transport planes,, especially the mavens, you can fly in from the philipines or truk:
air HQs,
aviation support,
supplies,
everything you need for a massive naval attack

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

alex314 posted:

Do planes consume supplies, oil or Avgas? I imagine launching 120 planes to stop a couple of bombers is pretty inefficient.

They do consume supplies. Though it's less inefficient than you'd think. 4-engine Liberators and two-engine medium bombers flying all the way from Australia vs single-engine fighters that enter the fight virtually right above their airbase makes for some very different consumption figures per plane.

Leperflesh posted:

Unless he's accelerated it, the A7M Reppu should slowly start production in six months or so. OTL there IIRC were working prototypes and production was about to start in December '44, only for an earthquake to gently caress up the factory. They were ready again to begin production in March '45, only for the factory to be promptly blown to smithereens by B-29s, destroying all the machining jigs and full-scale drawings of the plane.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

5 September 1944

Two German minesweepers, M-274 and M-276, scuttled at the mouth of the Scheldt.

mercenarynuker posted:

It's tomorrow and I lust for ship death. I'm ambivalent towards who owns them

Historical losses will return on the 12th.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

barman posted:

And remember, with all these transport planes,, especially the mavens, you can fly in from the philipines or truk:
air HQs,
aviation support,
supplies,
everything you need for a massive naval attack

I have all these things. and their setting are right, they just rarely fly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Grey Hunter posted:

Execute their commanders

barman
Jan 29, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Printscreen Please of the base , the planes and the airgroup settings orders

I think we might be able to help here

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No troop ships near Rabaul.

Really, they should get the message by now!

Manus has a PT boat infestation. We clear most of that out.

We deal with another air strike.

It seems only the planes on the ground were in danger.

Once again we took them apart in the sky.

and on the sea.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Allies are just going to end up with a million fighters and one bomber in a carrier somewhere at this rate right? :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's like you have to sacrifice a chicken every time you want a concerted airstrike. How hard - and I mean genuinely hard - would it be for the game to let you just click on a target and drop a pin on the map that said "if you're in range, fly here and kill everything you see"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

gains.jpg

(A6M model with A7M model)