Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Someone in the Warhammer 40K thread objected to my frequent use of math to discuss the efficacy of certain units.

I loving love it.

I read that as 'meth' first and I was like "right on!". But math is cool too, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I really worry about some of the people who play this game sometimes https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/9d0x5j/reduce_reuse_and_recycle_thats_what_i_do_to_my/

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Hey those prisoners attacked the colony trying to kill my pawns. The least they can do is be training dummies for the doctors.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah I remember when we decided that was an appropriate and legal thing to do with prisoners of war.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I remember when we decided that was an appropriate and legal thing to do with prisoners of war.

I'm not going to lie and say my most recent colony hasn't lopped the arms off a POW so that my best constructor could have replacement arms for the ones said prisoner's faction chopped off.

epilogue: he was sold into slavery with no arms and his prison girlfriend is mad about it. Somewhere along the way he died. Probably because he has no arms and severe brain damage from the temporary removal of his heart in an attempt to save another one of my colonists.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 5, 2018

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Those bytes deserve human rights!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
god not this poo poo again

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

To some extent it's a legitimate gameplay strategy to source human organs, especially from people who are going to die anyway, because colonists losing bits is part of normal gameplay and you don't want to let them limp around disfigured. I occasionally source organs from raiders who got turned into vegetables and have no hope of long-term survival. The mood penalties for doing it exist to balance it out, and you can get bionic stuff to avoid them and source more humane limbs. But what I linked is just torturing imaginary people for no good reason. There's no gameplay justification for chopping people up and feeding them to their friends through a soylent green machine.

It'd be nice if there was a mod that encouraged you to return prisoners unharmed by ransoming them back to the factions you captured them from. I don't think I've ever heard of someone actually selling prisoners as slaves; it's too unwieldy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
There was a prisoner ransom mod in a16, I think? It was way too powerful (something like $1500 per prisoner) but it did have some interesting wrinkles to it like a chance that negotiations would break down and trigger another raid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

slaving prisoners also gives unhappy thoughts to non psychos so regardless of the potential money involved it's mostly not worth doing it just based on that.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I mean if a slaver happens to pass buy early on when I happen to have some prisoners on hand I might sell them if everyone is in a good mood and can take the hit for a few days, but that's a lot of ifs. I never take prisoners with the intent of selling them, like you say with all the variables it's just too clumsy.

I mean you can totally release them for faction relation benefits, the problem is no one wants to be friends with the pirates cause then they would stop raiding you and that would be boring. Whatever way you look at it we're all a bunch of psychos playing this game, deliberately avoiding an easy road to making peace so you can amuse yourself butchering waves of drug addicts is hardly that much better than what's going on in that reddit thread.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You can get away with it occasionally if you decide you've got one too many prisoners and the opportunity comes up since it's just -3, but it stacks for each one, so definitely not something you could build your economy around, outside of a gimmick colony.

Pharnakes posted:

I mean you can totally release them for faction relation benefits, the problem is no one wants to be friends with the pirates cause then they would stop raiding you and that would be boring.

Unless b19 changed it, pirates will never improve their relation above -100. The "optimal" strategy for pirates is to maim them and get them addicted to poo poo, then release them so they'll show up to later raids weakened and carrying extra loot.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 5, 2018

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Unless it's changed recently I don't think it's possible to become friends with pirate factions even by releasing captives, they always hate you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you cannot become friends with pirate factions. they're guaranteed to always hate your guts. releasing prisoners is helpful in the context of enemy tribal and outlander factions, and it's absolutely worth it in the context of enemy tribal factions because holy gently caress their human wave tactics are a goddamn problem.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I generally chuck human meat into the prisoner nutrient paste machine just because it's not worth selling and usually I don't need the chemfuel. I don't design my prison around it like that guy though

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I put all my human & insect corpses in the dog food freezer and forget about it. Handily this also destroys the clothing too so you don't get piles of tainted poo poo lying around. When you reach a stable colony with animals doing most of the hauling your colonists never even have to see the corpses either, and if I get a colonist recruit who I don't like I put them straight in the freezer and crank it up so they freeze to death before anyone gets a chance to talk to them and get attached.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Personally I just burn raider corpses (and all tainted clothes) in the furnace.

Dogs REALLY seem to love eating human flesh, though, for some reason.

Keeshhound posted:

There was a prisoner ransom mod in a16, I think? It was way too powerful (something like $1500 per prisoner) but it did have some interesting wrinkles to it like a chance that negotiations would break down and trigger another raid.

It makes sense because raiders will do this to you if they kidnap your pawns, and because factions will get upset about how you treat their imprisoned members.

I'd also really like it if a mod made it so that based on what you did in your colony, the rules of engagement for raids (at least for non-pirate ones) would change as well. And if you're known for butchering your prisoners, well, you might not get a ransomed colonist back whole.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Danaru posted:

I generally chuck human meat into the prisoner nutrient paste machine just because it's not worth selling and usually I don't need the chemfuel. I don't design my prison around it like that guy though

Kibble? A hay + human/insect meat kibble is cheap, can be eaten by most animals, and doesn't require refrigeration. I assume you could also feed it to prisoners by having a small kibble stockpile in each cell, but I haven't tried it since I have enough canines to eat it all.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That requires a psycho/bloodthirsty to do the work though, and might result in a colony wide mood debuff for butchering? I can't remember now, been a while since I tried that. If you just let them be eaten raw it gives no mood penalty, even for fellow colonists, although it is far less nutrition efficient you are right.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I've been flirting with starvation off and on after toxic fallout and some pawns ate kibble made with human meat. They were not too happy about it.

Plus I'd never butchered humans and it turns out everyone was pissed about that as well.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Kibble? A hay + human/insect meat kibble is cheap, can be eaten by most animals, and doesn't require refrigeration. I assume you could also feed it to prisoners by having a small kibble stockpile in each cell, but I haven't tried it since I have enough canines to eat it all.

This is pretty much what I do. There's still never enough kibble to go around, but it's a good way to clean up the bodies after a raid. I just found out about the chemfuel thing my last play through; normally I just run a bare surplus of solar until I get geothermal off the ground.

Though, I suppose organ harvesting prisoners before euthanizing them is both a good way to get replacement organs and train my doctors. It might be macabre, but it is pretty compelling.

E; The mood hit really isn't the end of the world, I'm amazed so many people are commenting on it. If you're running a decent colony their comfort/joy bonuses easily offset it, not to mention any mind altering substances you might be feeding them in order to help them cope with the crushing reality that they're only one bad raid away from becoming dog food themselves.

Double edit: Jesus, on re-reading that I've come to realize that my colonies are dark, dark places.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 5, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Facebook Aunt posted:

I rarely have any animals to feed, and generally I only butcher because it gets rid of the bodies and the leather sells for higher than most leathers :v: win/win as long as I keep everyone happy enough to make up for the debuffs

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NatasDog posted:

Double edit: Jesus, on re-reading that I've come to realize that my colonies are dark, dark places.

That's my point!!!!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
For money you're better off just growing an assload of cotton and setting up a bunch of tailoring benches in front of a TV. Trying to squeeze value out of a corpse just isn't worth it. Chuck 'em in a hole and get back to the actually profitable endeavors.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

On one of my colonies in like A17 I dealt with raider corpses by burying all of them, along the edge of the mountains. The graves eventually stretched lines across half of the map, and raiders kept pouring in. It wasn't very efficient.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just landed a new colony with a husky named Lucky, who instantly got major carcinoma. 10/10

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I hope you're planning on treating that with massages and kind words, and not your actual medicine.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I hope you're planning on treating that with massages and kind words, and not your actual medicine.

I treated it with a knife. I don't got time for that poo poo.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It would've been regular training for your doctor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pharnakes posted:

That requires a psycho/bloodthirsty to do the work though, and might result in a colony wide mood debuff for butchering? I can't remember now, been a while since I tried that. If you just let them be eaten raw it gives no mood penalty, even for fellow colonists, although it is far less nutrition efficient you are right.

Daru was already putting human meat in the prisoner nutrient paste dispenser so the mood penalty was accounted for. It's just a matter of what to do with the meat.

"We butchered humanlike" is a -6 debuff that lasts 6 days and doesn't stack. Your colonists are equally dismayed by butchering one guy as butchering 20. So it makes sense to do the butchering in big batches when people are pretty happy.

"I butchered humanlike" is an additional -6 debuff that stacks up to -20 on top of the "we" debuff, for a total of -26 for 6 days. Pretty bad. Unless you have a psycho, bloodthirsty or cannibal to do the butchering: Getting one of those 3 is pretty easy, cannibals are cool and good since they have no other bad side effects.

Butchering also produces weirdly valuable human leather, and if you make the mistake of letting them make clothes out of it most colonists will also get a mood penalty for wearing human leather. But you can avoid that by not allowing it for crafting and just selling it instead. Nobody wants the clothes a corpse died in but all factions are happy to buy the skins. :shrug:

The other options for corpse disposal also have problems. You can keep the corpses in a dedicated corpse freezer for canines/pigs to munch directly, but any colonist that sees them will get a -3 to -9 mood debuff (only lasts .25 of a day though). You can leave them rotting in the sun but that is a whopping -7 penalty that stacks up to -20 each time they are seen (but again only for .25 of a day each time). Or you could bury them, I suppose, but eventually that adds up to a lot of good land permanently dedicated to corpse containment.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

On one of my colonies in like A17 I dealt with raider corpses by burying all of them, along the edge of the mountains. The graves eventually stretched lines across half of the map, and raiders kept pouring in. It wasn't very efficient.

this poo poo is why i keep telling folks to just make a mass grave dumping site on the edge of the map

at least out there the bodies will eventually loving rot out. technically they will in graves, too - if you deconstruct the grave after 2 seasons or something like that, the body won't come out and you can just reclaim it. but who the hell wants to go dig up graves like that a couple times a year?

Facebook Aunt posted:

The other options for corpse disposal also have problems. You can keep the corpses in a dedicated corpse freezer for canines/pigs to munch directly, but any colonist that sees them will get a -3 to -9 mood debuff (only lasts .25 of a day though). You can leave them rotting in the sun but that is a whopping -7 penalty that stacks up to -20 each time they are seen (but again only for .25 of a day each time). Or you could bury them, I suppose, but eventually that adds up to a lot of good land permanently dedicated to corpse containment.

there's the crematorium, which will just let you vaporize corpses directly, but i don't consider that a good use of time or resources compared to the mass grave in nowheresville option.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 5, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could always try making armies of the dead out of raiders with rimworld of magic :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Keeshhound posted:

For money you're better off just growing an assload of cotton and setting up a bunch of tailoring benches in front of a TV. Trying to squeeze value out of a corpse just isn't worth it. Chuck 'em in a hole and get back to the actually profitable endeavors.

They can watch TV while working?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Butchering also produces weirdly valuable human leather, and if you make the mistake of letting them make clothes out of it most colonists will also get a mood penalty for wearing human leather. But you can avoid that by not allowing it for crafting and just selling it instead. Nobody wants the clothes a corpse died in but all factions are happy to buy the skins. :shrug:
Head into the Assign menu, edit the outfit choice. Deselect one particular piece of clothing you don't use anyway, then in the crafting bill set it to use human leather exclusively. Just make sure that your materials selection for other clothes doesn't include human leather (IIRC it doesn't by default anyway).

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I tend to put the corpse pile in some cubby hole along the mountain where it can't be seen by passers by. I always have all kinds of trouble getting my dumb animals to eat corpses. Huskies were the worst, they're weak enough that they can't hunt for themselves anything bigger than a hare, but obviously they're not gonna eat grass. So I'd have to hunt *for* them and leave a small pile of various things next to the kennel for them to eat. And if there was kibble available they'd walk right past the corpses to get at the kibble. Hey you stupid dog, I'm trying to save that for the muffalos for the winter! Why don't you show what a mighty hunter you are and get your own drat food all summer. I've got alpaca's more self sufficient than this.

If you don't want to try and use corpses, and you don't want to bury them, then pick one of those mostly formed stone rooms around the map, put them all in there, and have a single pawn visit it with a molotov, problem solved.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Facebook Aunt posted:

They can watch TV while working?

They used to be able to, at least. I haven't gotten to that point in 19.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody hellfire but Tough pawns are hard to kill.

Just had a lady shrug off multiple shotgun rounds to the face out of pure spite.

Five shotgun rounds point blank and two pawns clubbing her to death to finally put her down, fighting all the way.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Are you sure she wasn't hopped up on go-juice? That drug is no joke. The raider pawns using it always get to my defenses first and absorb 200 bullets to keep sprinting on broken legs into my firing line. They just won't loving die.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think so, she literally just didn't take much damage which is what the description says Tough does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, Tough is great. Wimp is infuriating though. They go down to pain at 20%