Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Skimmed through, saw no fights. See you next week.

They only have two more episodes? The champ still needs to switch to the white colour scheme from the op which isn't as good as the current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

They only have two more episodes? The champ still needs to switch to the white colour scheme from the op which isn't as good as the current one.

He threw his coat off at the end for no apparent reason to reveal an identical white coat.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

He did switch by ripping off his black coat near the end.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I must say, this series did an excellent job in taking what should've been an extremely awesome scene, putting the protagonists and the friends they made along the way against the entire world in an uphill battle to save their friends, and creating something no one could ever give the slightest of a poo poo about. They managed to gently caress up something that's been done over and over and always is an extremely epic moment. Impressive.

The awful art and animation didn't help but even with the best of it ever it'd still suck. Hell, I like Kyoya here and that's still not enough to save it from the unbearable blandness that is the protagonist cast, the Build Divers best known for constantly fawning over how cool Riku is despite doing nothing impressive and having no personality to speak of.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah. To be fair I do feel like they kind of tried to humanize Riku a bit by having him lose against Tiger-san and Ogre dude. Like, theoretically this final "Riku vs. the world" thing should actually have more weight if he actually isn't as awesome as everyone else thought- that he really is just something of a underdog in way over his head, but chooses to fight to save Sarah anyways.

Unfortunately this show is still Build Divers, so it doesn't work at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

Yeah. To be fair I do feel like they kind of tried to humanize Riku a bit by having him lose against Tiger-san and Ogre dude. Like, theoretically this final "Riku vs. the world" thing should actually have more weight if he actually isn't as awesome as everyone else thought- that he really is just something of a underdog in way over his head, but chooses to fight to save Sarah anyways.

Unfortunately this show is still Build Divers, so it doesn't work at all.

To be fair, the show's perfectly entertaining when it tries to do individual Force Shenanigans/Adventure episodes. The wheels only fall off when they try for serious drama, and that takes up something like 2/3rd's of the show for no good reason. The fundamental failing of the cour-long Break Decal arc was it just tries so hard to make you care for things that would just have been far more entertaining if they worked properly. Like the desert town full of Gunpla builders. Or the Beargguy festival. Or the force fight to defend the shuttle launch site.

I also think they oversold the premise of how Sarah's damaging GBN, because it's explained too well in a way that anyone with a passing knowledge of computers and networking can tell you exactly why their plan just will not actually work. It's a perfectly legitimate threat, and I quite like the premise, but the problem is there is no actual solution to this issue that doesn't end in any system holding Sarah in it making GBS threads the bed with a memory overflow error. And they can't restore from backup because she's integrated throughout billions of little overflowing memory values, so it'd just buy you however much time was between the last back and the moment the system poo poo the bed. And given the scope of the system in question, it'd probably be a span of hours at most.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Turn Sarah into Skynet and just make it a Terminator prequel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Turn Sarah into Skynet and just make it a Terminator prequel.

You could stay on brand, even.

Hashmal, IBO prequel.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
This show is stupid in all the charming ways, namely the Admin:
'haha, right, yeah we'll let you stage a figh-'
'I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE'
'wait wh-'
YEAH WE'LL ALL DO IT!'
'hold on no sto-'
'ALRIGHT, YOU BETTER BE READY FOR US!'
'...son of a bitch what is wrong with you idiots.'

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm impressed. It takes some real spite to set up that many action scenes and show nothing but the finishing move every god drat time.

Also a double screw you to the makers for getting my hopes up that Tsukasa might join in the action. (Also good job series, the villain of the first arc is literally the most likeable and relateable character in the whole thing!)

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

RillAkBea posted:

I'm impressed. It takes some real spite to set up that many action scenes and show nothing but the finishing move every god drat time.

Also a double screw you to the makers for getting my hopes up that Tsukasa might join in the action. (Also good job series, the villain of the first arc is literally the most likeable and relateable character in the whole thing!)

Cut out pictures taped to popsicle sticks would be a step up for there animation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sazabi posted:

Cut out pictures taped to popsicle sticks would be a step up for there animation.
I agree, Gunplare Kano would have been good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I love how Shahry's reasons to fight (wanting to protect GBN from Sarah) are completely wrong, but Tigerwolf's are, undeniably, 100% right (RIKU WANTS THIS).

Also, I can't believe how many times "Riku" was said in this episode. As if it was the answer to everything. Even Tigerwolf's Sekiha Tenkyoken-ish move is named after him!

Ugh. Sekai was less of a black hole.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
It just occurred to me that GBN is so poorly programmed that they literally birthed a sentient lifeform due to essentially a mass buildup of floating point errors.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Riku had a line that made me realize one of the reasons this end isn't working. He said something about his allies risking so much on this dangerous mission. But they aren't actually risking anything. If their GUnpla is destroyed in game, that means that it's out of commission for a set amount of time, but that's true of it being destroyed during any other mission. If the administrator had said something like, "anyone who sides with Riku's Force will be banned" then there would be actual stakes. But there's no stakes. In fact, the only real risk they're running is that they might win and destroy the game.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, I can't believe how many times "Riku" was said in this episode. As if it was the answer to everything. Even Tigerwolf's Sekiha Tenkyoken-ish move is named after him!

With the way people talk about him they might as well have played up how much of a prodigy he is. New kid starts tearing poo poo up and is already be a threat to the top players, of course people are talking about him.

Basically they should have made Riku really really good at gunpla and made Ayame the main character.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

I love how Shahry's reasons to fight (wanting to protect GBN from Sarah) are completely wrong, but Tigerwolf's are, undeniably, 100% right (RIKU WANTS THIS).

Ugh. Sekai was less of a black hole.

I also think it would've worked better flipped. Tigerwolf likes fighting, he should've been the one to side with the Coalition to get a good fight out of Shahry. And Shahry should've sided with Riku from the beginning because he loves Gunpla specifically, not the actual gameplay of GBN

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

3 posted:

It just occurred to me that GBN is so poorly programmed that they literally birthed a sentient lifeform due to essentially a mass buildup of floating point errors.

There's a :notch: joke in there somewhere but I have no idea what it is.

Caros
May 14, 2008

3 posted:

GBN is a tremendous loving mess. They create AI due to glitches, the entire service is so incredibly easy to hack that the break decal bullshit can't even be seen by the programers, let alone stopped. And then in this loving episode a GM administrator can't delete a bugged asset because they are in a player's base, a place where apparently the owner gets to override the goddamn moderation staff.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In a way that's very faithful to MMO games and the huge tangled mess of code they can build up

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Tiger even asks fox "why side with them. They're Riku's enemy." And now the boy who started playing like a month ago is gonna beat the top players in the game. I hope Sarah gets deleted just so Riku cries or yells and suffers. And I hope it's the first scene that actually gets decent animation for once in this miserable commercial of a show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

3 posted:

It also means she literally can't exist anywhere else, because she's just running off all those badly-coded functions rather than independent processes.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also means she literally can't exist anywhere else, because she's just running off all those badly-coded functions rather than independent processes.

Except that they are just going to download her into a toy girl gunpla where she can live forever because this show is made by idiots.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This episode is doing a great job of making a bad plot worse by ruining the characters it touches. The entire crux of the matter is ridiculous and makes the admin look like a combination of stupid and callous. But even assuming the admin is right and Sarah MUST be deleted for the sake of sustaining a game community, then Kyoya is a terrible rear end in a top hat for betraying his allies and making it so that Sara's life should be decided on the outcome of a goddamn videogame battle.

"She was born from our love for gunpla, therefore we should be the ones who decide her fate." was a thing that was said this episode and I hate it.

Kyoya was one of the five secondary characters I liked and now he's a piece of poo poo. If you told me that the final arc of this series was a massive battle that would make me yearn for the days of break decals I would've called you an idiot. And yet here we are.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Random thought: Would the attempt at drama here work any better if instead of just GBN being at stake it was the entire internet itself that could potentially be destroyed just by Sarah existing?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The concept that there's even a debate about whether or not to deliberately extinguish the life of a sapient being to ensure the continuing operation of an MMO is kind of unbelievable.

Raxivace posted:

Random thought: Would the attempt at drama here work any better if instead of just GBN being at stake it was the entire internet itself that could potentially be destroyed just by Sarah existing?

Probably not, because if the threat spread outside the game itself, it would be even less plausible that the solution would be "decide her fate with gunpla battle"; you'd have the police locking down Not-Banrise HQ and pulling plugs on servers instead.

I mean, the only real logical and ethical solution here would be to shut down the stupid MMO and put the servers on ice to study how Sarah came to be in detail(as in, real detail, not "born from the love of gunpla detail"), and ideally figure out if there's a solution to the exponential expansion problem to preserve her existence. But that doesn't lead to gunpla battles, so instead we have everyone being really loving stupid/unlikeable and the administration being unbelievably incompetent/callous.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 12, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

Same fundamental failure; She has to die because there's literally nowhere else for her to go, and even if there was she'd just cause an inevitable memory failure once she fills up all the RAM.

GimmickMan posted:

This episode is doing a great job of making a bad plot worse by ruining the characters it touches. The entire crux of the matter is ridiculous and makes the admin look like a combination of stupid and callous. But even assuming the admin is right and Sarah MUST be deleted for the sake of sustaining a game community, then Kyoya is a terrible rear end in a top hat for betraying his allies and making it so that Sara's life should be decided on the outcome of a goddamn videogame battle.

"She was born from our love for gunpla, therefore we should be the ones who decide her fate." was a thing that was said this episode and I hate it.

Kyoya was one of the five secondary characters I liked and now he's a piece of poo poo. If you told me that the final arc of this series was a massive battle that would make me yearn for the days of break decals I would've called you an idiot. And yet here we are.

If they wanted to do something fun with Momoka, they should've had her just belly-beam Karuna the moment the lift opened. Having her get pushed into a fight when she had him dead to rights in a closed space isn't a good look for a protagonist.

Kanos posted:

The concept that there's even a debate about whether or not to deliberately extinguish the life of a sapient being to ensure the continuing operation of an MMO is kind of unbelievable.

Probably not, because if the threat spread outside the game itself, it would be even less plausible that the solution would be "decide her fate with gunpla battle"; you'd have the police locking down Not-Banrise HQ and pulling plugs on servers instead.

I mean, the only real logical and ethical solution here would be to shut down the stupid MMO and put the servers on ice to study how Sarah came to be in detail(as in, real detail, not "born from the love of gunpla detail"), and ideally figure out if there's a solution to the exponential expansion problem to preserve her existence. But that doesn't lead to gunpla battles, so instead we have everyone being really loving stupid/unlikeable and the administration being unbelievably incompetent/callous.

I'm starting to suspect the writer or director's had their pet MMO story sitting in a drawer somewhere for a while, planned out in meticulous detail, and they're just inserting it into the first show they had the chance to work on.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 12, 2018

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Why couldn't we have just had another "sports anime, but the sport is miniature giant robot fights."
The first one was good. The second one was good besides every time Sekai was on screen, which unfortunately was a lot. How did this episode manage to make giant robot fights boring?

At least the champ's Gundam looked sufficiently intimidating with it's camera angles, I guess.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Captain France posted:

Why couldn't we have just had another "sports anime, but the sport is miniature giant robot fights."
The first one was good. The second one was good besides every time Sekai was on screen, which unfortunately was a lot. How did this episode manage to make giant robot fights boring?

At least the champ's Gundam looked sufficiently intimidating with it's camera angles, I guess.

Doesn't help that almost every fight boils down to either unmoving robots exploding, or weird close ups of single suits moving slightly before a large light gets thrown at there opponent.

The fights are really bad if the animators have an aversion to showing two robots move on screen at once. Besides that trashy flying towards each other gimmick.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Thank god this bland pointless adventure about online gaming is about to be over.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's really terrible is that we're going into a climactic battle between Riku and the Champion, but they both want the same thing, to waste time until Sarah can be saved. The show is so in love with Riku that even the final antagonist completely agrees with him and is going out of his way to help him achieve his goals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On a side-note, I'm surprised the shoulder rocket/railgun pods the 00 Sky was sporting haven't been announced as an HGBC pack. It seems pretty HGBC-ish for coming out of nowhere, and they're generally pretty quick about announcing stuff shown in an episode if it hasn't already been.

That and the Physalis custom, considering it's in the opening credits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The only good thing about this episode was momo's surprise meeting underground.

It's sort of funny how build fighters came after a really lovely gundam show, while this came right after a gundam show I genuinely liked. Guess we can never have both :(.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Kanos posted:

But that doesn't lead to gunpla battles, so instead we have everyone being really loving stupid/unlikeable and the administration being unbelievably incompetent/callous.

higher ups stamping out the heart/soul of the franchise so they can keep sterile gunpla battles going really is GBD in a nutshell

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

After catching up on the last two episodes, the only thing I can really say is Riku.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just realized something kinda damning about this show as a Build series;

Anyone notice how few new Gunpla designs and kits we've gotten past the midway point? Usually by now everyone has their hot new machine rolling out And immediately advertised for release as a HG kit within the next two-three months. Even the Champ's ride, when poo poo's going down and things are Super Serious.... is the same Age-II Magnum, only white.

The kits that are upcoming are all things that showed up as recently as the first-cour finale. I think the only new HG designs from the second cour have been the 00 Sky, the Blast Jegan, and maybe the Guard Frame? Not counting the HGBC scooter, anyway.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

kits that are upcoming are all things that showed up as recently as the first-cour finale. I think the only new HG designs from the second cour have been the 00 Sky, the Blast Jegan, and maybe the Guard Frame? Not counting the HGBC scooter, anyway.

the Impulse Gundams Arc and Lancier, and of course

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just realized something kinda damning about this show as a Build series;

Anyone notice how few new Gunpla designs and kits we've gotten past the midway point? Usually by now everyone has their hot new machine rolling out And immediately advertised for release as a HG kit within the next two-three months. Even the Champ's ride, when poo poo's going down and things are Super Serious.... is the same Age-II Magnum, only white.

The kits that are upcoming are all things that showed up as recently as the first-cour finale. I think the only new HG designs from the second cour have been the 00 Sky, the Blast Jegan, and maybe the Guard Frame? Not counting the HGBC scooter, anyway.
And out of the whole Build Divers crew, Riku is the only one who gets an upgrade. Yuuki doesn't even count because they sidelined him so hard he sort of only barely exists as a character. Coming up with alternates for Momo and Ko-1 would have been simple enough. Penguin themed HyGogg and IBO style The O? Ayame's a little harder to pin her theme down beyond 'ninja' but even just an upgrade to ninja Banshee would have worked just fine.

Anyway only 2 more episodes of this crap and then we can forget about it and save our outrage up for Narrative :v:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to cry myself to sleep because I thought about IBThe O too much and now I'm sad it will never happen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ninja Full Armor Unicorn, surely? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ayame has three clones she can spawn from colored balls which can fuse into a gun and those haven't shown up yet.

Next week is the finale, right?

-e-
Aww, penultimate.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 15, 2018

• Locked thread