Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

I’m actually on like the 5th day of a road trip in the Camry is why I haven’t been heard from ha. So far so good!

I’ve paid for the Landcruiser it should be on the boat soon if not already loaded.

That's actually pretty awesome, you go you crazy hound!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

I’ve paid for the Landcruiser it should be on the boat soon if not already loaded.

Wait did you order a mail order bride too?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wait did you order a mail order bride too?

Ha ha. The Landcruiser is an actual brown vehicle or maybe that is just code for a mail order bride as well this has gone too far lol

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Toyotas are known to be long lasting and reliable.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hilux Surf sold for $13050, fairly low but over my minimum profit zone based on what I have into it. :toot:

Thems the breaks.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Hilux Surf sold for $13050, fairly low but over my minimum profit zone based on what I have into it. :toot:

Thems the breaks.

Why do you think so? Seems very low. What were the comments on BAT? I’ve been out of town or I’d have been following along.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Why do you think so? Seems very low. What were the comments on BAT? I’ve been out of town or I’d have been following along.

Typical comments but it's an auction so things can be fickle. I know what I had into it, I knew what I'd like at a minimum for profit and it met that. Yeah 18k or whatever would have been nice but that's what happens when you roll the dice.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Wonder if the auction ending mid afternoon on a national holiday where people try to be outside all day had anything to do with it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

glyph posted:

Wonder if the auction ending mid afternoon on a national holiday where people try to be outside all day had anything to do with it.

Could not have helped.

Also, I just took a good look at the engine compartment and it was a bit grubby. In the future, you'd probably be well served by a quick degreasing and a liberal application of WD-40, it works wonders.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how come I dont see any spray on liners on the kei trucks and so many rusty truck beds? Is there some sort of environmental law that makes them hard to buy in Japan?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fauxtool posted:

how come I dont see any spray on liners on the kei trucks and so many rusty truck beds? Is there some sort of environmental law that makes them hard to buy in Japan?

Probably isn't environmental in the slightest and instead might have everything to do with kei trucks being the absolute cheapest vehicles that exist and are treated as such. They beat the poo poo out of them and don't even get seat covers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Whatup nerds if you're like me and regularly import way more cars into the United States (and who isn't these days?) then you know that detailing your new JDM rides is cool and good. I recently bought a steam unit, all it does is make steam that you can shoot out of a wand. Comes with a bunch of attachments and things yeah? Today though it's permanently earned its keep

Before:

After:

Takes seconds, like less than 10 seconds to just effortlessly lift off old wax from everything. All these hard-edged stickers of course but anything with details that catches wax and dirt gets obliterated with this thing. The Jimny has a whole lot of hard edges and obvious-welds that are just out on the body, along with the external door hinges. This steamer is rad.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 5, 2018

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Post the steamer you used, dummy!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

Post the steamer you used, dummy!

NO

U

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G00BT72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-au9sIsFhSDYsTl.htm
For now the plan is to title and register in TX before trying to register in CA. Hopefully the tiny engine size gives me an EPA and smog exemption.
I glad I started with something cheap to figure this stuff out

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

For now the plan is to title and register in TX before trying to register in CA. Hopefully the tiny engine size gives me an EPA and smog exemption.

Good deal! It gets addictive

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fauxtool posted:

Nice score.

I'm having two, maybe three, inspected today to possibly bid on. How many cars can I have inspected before Matt/Yoshi start getting sick of me not bidding? These are my first couple but I'm always wary about pulling the trigger sight unseen, especially on some of the more exotic/specialty cars I'm looking at.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nice score.

I'm having two, maybe three, inspected today to possibly bid on. How many cars can I have inspected before Matt/Yoshi start getting sick of me not bidding? These are my first couple but I'm always wary about pulling the trigger sight unseen, especially on some of the more exotic/specialty cars I'm looking at.

They don't give a poo poo, if and when they sell a car it's all good.
I totally understand what it's like to buy sight unseen but I've actually grown to like it. No hassle and no haggling.

Autozam is best

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

Good deal! It gets addictive

What did it sell for? I can't see anything that says on that page.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

They don't give a poo poo, if and when they sell a car it's all good.
I totally understand what it's like to buy sight unseen but I've actually grown to like it. No hassle and no haggling.
I've bought sight unseen once and it worked out ok but I at least had a seller that took a ton of questions and sat on the phone with me for an hour or two.

Looking closer at some of these cars...are Japanese market knock offs common? Three of these have popped up in the past couple days, all ending tonight. I thought Morgan Plus 4 or 4/4 initially but a lot of the details aren't right and all three of them look identical. I can't figure out what the hell they are unless Morgan made a base-base model for the Japanese market. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out wtf these things are.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-weUSPBaUIB4yY.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lGSaEbfBcUjnpb.htm - this one has more pics

$350 USD

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 5, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Says 39k yen when logged in.

And Nitro - yeah they don't care, I have had literally 100+ translated and probably 10-15 inspected.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

everdave posted:

And Nitro - yeah they don't care, I have had literally 100+ translated and probably 10-15 inspected.

You've got to figure they'll get multiple requests for the same cars sometimes too, so they can save some labor that way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$350?

What's that going to cost to import then? Fees, shipping and registration?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

$350?

What's that going to cost to import then? Fees, shipping and registration?

Registration varies but figure $2k US on top to get it to port in USA and that is a little high. This one will probably be $15-1700 I am guessing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chicken tax on that one tho? It's a two-seater flatbed kei truck, right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Leperflesh posted:

Chicken tax on that one tho? It's a two-seater flatbed kei truck, right?

25% on 350 bucks though, that's not even $90 bucks. The rest is true though, 2500~ or so depending on transport from Port once in the US and getting a US state title.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's pretty reasonable.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

That's pretty reasonable.

And the tax is charged on what your invoice says. Your invoice, much like selling a car here in the US, can say ~anything~.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My need for a fun tiny Japanese Automobile is increasing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That kei truck is only one of those.

A Beat or AZ-1 would be the only things I'd consider but still not worth it for me at least. And I'm American sized so :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

KakerMix posted:

25% on 350 bucks though, that's not even $90 bucks. The rest is true though, 2500~ or so depending on transport from Port once in the US and getting a US state title.

Oh right, it's a % on the sale price, not some kind of fixed or minimum fee. That's fine then, cool.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Larrymer posted:

A Beat or AZ-1 would be the only things I'd consider but still not worth it for me at least. And I'm American sized so :v:

Yeah I’d love an az1 but doubt I’d fit being 6’3”.

Are any of the smaller jdm cars especially good for tall people? Parking here in nyc would be a dream.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not fat anymore but I don't want an AZ1, the Hilux Kaker just sold really does call my name. Something like that. I dunno, I'm completely adrift automotively and have no idea what I actually want to own next.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

Yeah I’d love an az1 but doubt I’d fit being 6’3”.

Are any of the smaller jdm cars especially good for tall people? Parking here in nyc would be a dream.

The Honda Beat is the one kei sports car that can swallow tall dudes (heh). Clarkson fits comfortably in one. Cappuccino can probably work too and is consistently the "best" of the 3 when taking livability into account. AZ-1 is unquestionably the coolest but you pay for it in other ways.

Also secured a warehouse and office space, B-3 is the place to be :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm not fat anymore but I don't want an AZ1, the Hilux Kaker just sold really does call my name. Something like that. I dunno, I'm completely adrift automotively and have no idea what I actually want to own next.

Just a reminder, but if you're used to driving a Mazda 6 and a Miata, a Hilux (or any truck) is going to ride and drive like utter dogshit in comparison. Might want to go drive an older Toyota truck first to get a feel for it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cappos are fine at that height.

If you have trouble in a kei car, try a smaller steering wheel to give you more room to position your legs.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

If you have trouble in a kei car, try a smaller steering wheel to give you more room to position your legs.

Yeah, with the AZ-1 it's about the legs, if you've got length in the legs you'll have a worse time. Also the regular cars review dude is a huge idiot and wears giant new balance shoes so naturally has issues getting his feet to the pedals. Don't wear retiree shoes and you'll be fine :colbert:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am definitely going to buy an rx-7 and cappuccino but I wanted to make sure I could actually import them before spending bigger money. Thats why I went with a $350 kei truck first

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KakerMix posted:

And the tax is charged on what your invoice says. Your invoice, much like selling a car here in the US, can say ~anything~.

The duties are charged on Purchase Price, Inland Transport, any Buying Fees (Yoshi's fee). He will be paying 25% on all of these. Remember my $1100 kei truck was nearly 700$ in duties and fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

InitialDave posted:

+1 for a Beat.
Also, for girth consideration, one of my uncles is his neighborhood's Santa Claus and he fit. He did have a noticeable effect on acceleration.