Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think thew only David Lynch movie I havent watched yet is Dune

But I heard bad things about it

It's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would consider Dune to be an interesting failure at the very least- you still have some neat visuals, the first time Kyle and Lynch worked together, Patrick Stewart and Sting etc.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Blue Velvet is my favorite Lynch movie. The scene at Ben's (that suave gently caress!) is a masterpiece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7dDAm3NAk

I about fell over watching this the first time when it got to the "In Dreams" part.

There's only a couple scenes where I think Dern and Mclaughlin's lines are... not great. Dennis Hopper carries the whole movie though imo.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I want to be a cool guy and say Dune is actually good, but it is bad. Interesting bad, at least.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I WILL KILL YOU! :ese:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need to watch Wild At Heart. I love everything Elvis related and that + Lynch sounds loving brilliant.

e: I just realized Cage’s jacket is also Goro Majima’s and now I’m imagining a combination of Yakuza and Nick Cage and oh god I’m close I’m close I’m cu
He basically is Majima in this movie so yeah you've got to see it

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dune is a hell of a film and entertaining as gently caress. It's only a failure in terms of being an adaptation IMO, everyone who worked on that film is giving it their all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Elias_Maluco posted:

I watched Lynch's entire filmography last year and Dune was the only one I didn't really like much. Just about every other one of his movies is a masterpiece that I couldn't stop thinking about, but Dune just kinda fell flat for me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dune is carried by its performances and production design. The story is nonsense, even for people who read the book. But the setpieces are pretty amazing. It's the kind of film you can watch muted and get a lot from the visuals but it's also fun hearing really good actors and actresses quote lines from the book.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've seen all his films except The Elephant Man.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've seen all his films but The Straight Story.

I didn't like Wild at Heart much - it was a bit too much of a freak show - but I want to give it another shot.

Dune is not good, but I don't blame Lynch for that. Apparently he felt he couldn't do it justice in anything less than a 6-hour cut, but the studio forced him to 2 hours. He touches on some of the experience making Dune in his book Catching the Big Fish, and it was clearly a depressing and demoralizing experience for him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I've seen all his films but The Straight Story.
You should really watch The Straight Story. It's good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Straight Story is the single most depressing G-rated movie I've ever seen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just don't expect any of the Lynch trademark surrealism and nightmare logic from Straight Story. It's, well, very straightforward.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
I love Dune. I love everything about it. I love the dialogue, the costumes, the eyebrows.

I even love the weirding way.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Elias_Maluco posted:

Piling on, but you should watch Dune. A lot of people don't like it because it's not a great adaptation of the book or a great rip on space opera films or even very good at being a David Lynch film. Here's the thing: gently caress that though, it's bizarre and has some great performances and there aren't many films like it. You're not going to be mad about having seen it for sure and it's never uninteresting.

As for favourite Lynch films -- mine is officially whichever one I watched last. I love them all. Whenever I do a rewatch I inevitably conclude THAT one is my favourite.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Straight Story's great, I hadn't seen it until last year and it's now one of my favorite Lynch films. Also one of my favorite scenes in Twin Peaks is Stanton just sitting playing guitar, so that adds up.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just don't expect any of the Lynch trademark surrealism and nightmare logic from Straight Story. It's, well, very straightforward.

I feel like this is decent advice for someone who's only seen Eraserhead or suchlike, but if you've seen all of Twin Peaks you're more than prepared for the Straight Story given how many hours of it are given over exclusively to honest to god small-town American dramedy, often around incredibly old men in very gradual transit.

The guy who hasn't seen Elephant Man should get on that also.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Straight Story's great, I hadn't seen it until last year and it's now one of my favorite Lynch films. Also one of my favorite scenes in Twin Peaks is Stanton just sitting playing guitar, so that adds up.

I stumbled across an album released by Stanton on Spotify the other night, which I didn't know existed and then it made me cry. HDS was a gift.

Edit: and if you haven't seen Lucky, you need to get right on that. It even has David Lynch in an acting role.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 6, 2018

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Dune is not good, but I don't blame Lynch for that. Apparently he felt he couldn't do it justice in anything less than a 6-hour cut, but the studio forced him to 2 hours. He touches on some of the experience making Dune in his book Catching the Big Fish, and it was clearly a depressing and demoralizing experience for him.

He must have changed his mind about that. In the recent Room to Dream he says it’s his own fault. Lynch knew that Dino de Laurentiis wanted a blockbuster, which couldn’t be longer than 2h18m. When he signed the contract he sold out. It would be Dino‘s movie, not his. At least de Laurentiis let Lynch make Blue Velvet the way he wanted to. :shrug:

I‘ve also somehow never seen The Elephant Man. Not sure why.

Lost Highway always seemed to me like a bad version of Caché (in the sense that Caché actually executes on the premise rather than going on a weird tangent). It’s really impressive that he managed to make that movie after the Twin Peaks movie bombed so hard, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I used to not like Cache very much because it seemed kind of didactic to me, but then seeing both versions of Funny Games back to back really kind of put it in perspective for me lol.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

InfiniteZero posted:

Piling on, but you should watch Dune. A lot of people don't like it because it's not a great adaptation of the book or a great rip on space opera films or even very good at being a David Lynch film. Here's the thing: gently caress that though, it's bizarre and has some great performances and there aren't many films like it. You're not going to be mad about having seen it for sure and it's never uninteresting.

As for favourite Lynch films -- mine is officially whichever one I watched last. I love them all. Whenever I do a rewatch I inevitably conclude THAT one is my favourite.

Alright, you conviced me

My personal favorites are, equally, Lost Highway, Mulholand Drive and Inland Empire

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I ain’t never watching Dune, idgaf what y’all think

Also I don’t think Elephant Man is all that great

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

wa27 posted:

Blue Velvet is my favorite Lynch movie. The scene at Ben's (that suave gently caress!) is a masterpiece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7dDAm3NAk

I about fell over watching this the first time when it got to the "In Dreams" part.

There's only a couple scenes where I think Dern and Mclaughlin's lines are... not great. Dennis Hopper carries the whole movie though imo.

Just a sidenote because I never get to say it: Dean Stockwell's resume is bonkers

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Dean Stockwell never ceases to blow me away and I'm a big fan of his character acting - all the way from his fantastic Twilight Zone episode (I never that was him till now!) to what he did on BSG.

The idea that Lynch wrote the role of Ben for him specifically, and that he let Dean do all his own makeup, and that Dean came up with the idea of singing into the light.... Goddamn, he must be one suave motherfucker in real life, too. And it makes me wonder too, because Ben's makeup is SO perfectly creepy/sleazy in that way you know is inspired from some all-too-real life experience that's kinda being shown in the cadence of a bad trip/dream by Lynch. I don't know, somethin' like that.

I'm glad people relate to the way I see and feel about Lynch films. And also, I'm quite familiar with Gasper Noe and Michael Haneke (and Lars von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg) along with some of their predecessors - Rainer Werner Fassbinder is kinda probably my favorite director who could fall into the "European Arthouse" category, he was just a goddamn genius and a bit of a maniac - not as much as Herzog but moreso then Wim Wenders, in the context of his German contemporary peers. Well, he was always my favorite.

Anyway, I was thinking about him because I'd been reminded of his utterly fantastic adaptation of Berlin-Alexanderplatz which I realized reminds me of The Return/Season 3 in terms of like... length and breadth and scope, and being a very personal and singular MASSIVE creation that really sort of encapsulates the personality of its creator in a particularly epic way. I hope that makes some degree of sense - in terms of tone and content they're both different, but still. Berlin-Alexanderplatz is a pretty amazing 15-hour TV show/massive film, though. I'm probably a bit more attached to it because I saw it like.. 17 years ago or something on VHS and it was this REALLY special thing and there was just nothing else remotely like it on TV. It's certainly more... queer than anything Lynch ever does, but then it's Fassbinder so... deal, 'kay? :)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Let's see what my local grocery store chain is doing
https://twitter.com/chuchugoogoo/status/1037784769482743813
:stare:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hi Achilles :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1037683596167970816?s=21
I thought this tweet was good.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just moved in with two new roommates who have never ever seen Twin Peaks nor do they know anything about it... I don't quite know how to get them truly intrigued/hooked enough, though... Thery're both a bit younger than me and very prone to pulling out their cellphones and half-paying attention to stuff.. But one of them is very into the mystical and supernatural and inexplicable and I hope like seeing the Red Room dream scene for the first time and such will knock his socks off... Who knows.

I dunno if we'll ever make it to season 3 because of how dated seasons 1 and 2 are... I'd skip a lot of season 2 for them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kaworu posted:

I'd skip a lot of season 2 for them
You'll want to be careful with that kinda talk around these parts

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

I just moved in with two new roommates who have never ever seen Twin Peaks nor do they know anything about it... I don't quite know how to get them truly intrigued/hooked enough, though... Thery're both a bit younger than me and very prone to pulling out their cellphones and half-paying attention to stuff.. But one of them is very into the mystical and supernatural and inexplicable and I hope like seeing the Red Room dream scene for the first time and such will knock his socks off... Who knows.

I dunno if we'll ever make it to season 3 because of how dated seasons 1 and 2 are... I'd skip a lot of season 2 for them.

By the time you finish the Laura arc you'll know whether or not they can handle Season 2. If all they're interested in is finding out who the killer is, they probably won't get into it. If they fall in love with the wacky characters, there's still plenty there worth watching in Season 2.

Unless you're one of those weirdos who doesn't like the Nadine amnesia storyline or General Ben Horne.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If they're not into it after the pilot then gently caress them. No amount of hand holding or babying them to trick them away from their phones is going to cut it, and I suspect David Lynch wouldn't want them watching Twin Peaks either.

EDIT: I mean Jesus loving Christ, I got into Twin Peaks because my best friend said you gotta see this poo poo man, then gave me a cassette tape. Then I watched the cassette tape. Why do we need loving traps with sticks and mechanisms to get people to watch TV now holy poo poo

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 7, 2018

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I personally think the season 2 wackiness just makes the finale that much more disturbing. Like, a bubbly lull of hacky soap opera, amnesia, and pine weasels, and then you’re slapped in the face with pure unadulterated metaphysical horror.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The mid-season 2 storylines aren't great, but Diane Keaton's episode that wraps them all up is fantastic. The really borderline unwatchable part of Twin Peaks S2 is everything right after that all the way until the finale.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just let them watch the show and don't guide their experience or skip things or tell them "These are the bad parts."

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

You should skip whatever they don‘t like. A friend of mine has tried watching the series multiple times, and she always gets fed up halfway through season two. It‘s not just the soap bullshit or the terrible new characters. Cooper also turns dangerously inept, which makes it even more frustrating.

Roland Barthes himself said (in Le Plaisir du Texte) that it‘s good (and erotic) to skip over passages if it gives you pleasure. Who are you to disagree with Roland Barthes? :colbert:

Get off your high horses (which are the white of the eye), people.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Skipping season 2 episodes on first watch is dumb since even the worst ones are still relevant to the later good ones. I wouldn’t even bother trying to show this show to someone with no attention span.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yo, I want my friends to read Lord of the Rings. Which chapters can they skip? They get bored and start looking at sparkly things

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd argue that at least some season 2 filler only ended up more relevant with The Return.

Like Ben Horne's Civil War thing where he imagines himself changing history only ends up becoming a comedic foreshadowing for Cooper literally (And tragically) changing history in The Return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You guys are being silly. It's okay to skip the lovely parts of a show and still consider yourself a fan of it.