Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

First Nations' problems can be easily solved by giving them real estate, as we know housing values go up uP UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Duck Rodgers posted:

Will Bernier's party be appreciably more racist/sexist than the CPC? So far the main difference spoken of is the supply management/corporate welfare stuff. What has Bernier's position been in the past on abortion, immigration, reconcilliation etc?

He thinks multiculturalism should be reversed and Canada should significantly reduce immigration.

Here are some choice tweets:

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1034821402212425728

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1032256603209134080

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1033454406816215046

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1032252288444710912

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1032008796950781952

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1031332376377483265

You can really feel the (((globalism))) in that one

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1030550820876472320

"I only said more diversity would destroy the country, not that new immigrants would destroy the country, god can't you read???"

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1029722397581094913

"Why draw attention to the genocide we committed when we could instead focus on all the progress made by First Nations under Canadian domination, such as"

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1028802319910166529

The tweet that launched a thousand hot takes, where he not only says we should stop becoming more diverse but that we should "reverse" our current levels of diversity.

If you prefer something other than tweets, he recently tweeted a link to his still-up CPC leadership campaign policy page, saying that his new party will be based on the same policy ideas listed there. Here are some highlights:

quote:

Get Ottawa out of health care, and transfer tax points to the provinces

Healthcare is an area of provincial jurisdiction. But due to years of federal interference, provinces have become reliant on transfer payments to pay their doctors and run their hospitals. This leads to bickering between Ottawa and the provinces over who is responsible for our abysmal healthcare system. Transferring tax points to provinces and ending Ottawa interference will create accountability. Breaking the taboo around private sector involvement in healthcare will bring innovation. That is the right plan.

This probably means "get rid of the Canada Health Act and begin the process of privatizing Canadian healthcare"

quote:

Privatize Canada Post and eliminate its monopoly on letter mail

Canadians have long benefitted from competition in the market for packages. What’s more, letter mail volume decreases by 6% per year. With the skyrocketing cost of stamps and constant threats of labour action, there is simply no reason to maintain Canada Post’s monopoly on letter mail. We all know that monopolies have less incentive to reduce costs and improve service. Postal services should operate in a competitive environment, just like any other sector of the economy.

quote:

Lower air travel costs by privatizing airports and opening the sector to more competition

Canada has some of the highest air travel costs in the world. In cost competitiveness, we rank 124th. Many Canadians rarely, or never, fly because of the cost. Many others only fly from American airports because it is so much cheaper there. To tolerate this in a country as vast as Canada, where air travel is often a necessity, is unacceptable. Privatizing the airports, and running them like businesses instead of government cash cows, will help reduce costs. It is also important to open the sector to more competition by lowering foreign ownership requirements and pursuing open skies agreements with other countries. These measures will help keep more money in the pockets of Canadian travellers. It’s the right plan.

quote:

Abolish the Capital Gains Tax

Everyone knows the more you tax something, the less of it you get. The Capital Gains Tax is a tax on investment. When our economy is hardly growing at all, why would the government want to have less investment in the private sector? Abolishing the Capital Gains Tax would make sure you never pay tax on any of your savings. It will give our entrepreneurs access to a larger pool of capital. And it will allow every single Canadian to invest more and save more money. It is the right plan.

quote:

Drop Corporate Income Tax from 15% to 10%

One of the Harper Conservative Government’s major achievements was to reduce the corporate income tax from 22% in 2007 to 15% in 2012. But we can still do better. Canada’s combined corporate income tax rate is 15th highest in the OECD. Bringing it down to 10% will increase the after-tax return on investment, and thus encourage businesses to invest more. This will create jobs and unleash Canada’s productive forces. This is the right plan.

quote:

Scrap the Carbon tax

Canadians all support cleaner air and water. But a carbon tax won’t do anything to protect our environment. All it will do is increase costs on business and kill jobs. Increasing the price of fuel and the price of electricity will put the price of everything up. Businesses will be forced to choose between keeping employees on payroll or paying the hydro bill. This is unacceptable. This tax needs to be scrapped. It is the right plan.

quote:

Cut federal tax to 15% on income between $15,001 and $100,000, and 25% tax rate on income above $100,000

Canadians are paying too much tax. The Income Tax Act is a complicated mess that costs Canadians nearly $7 billion a year to comply with. Every Canadian deserves a tax cut. Simplifying the Income Tax Act by reducing taxes on all income above $15,000 and below $100,000 will mean that those earning in this range will save as much as $2,163 per year in taxes. Taxing income earned over $100,000 at 25% will keep more money in the pockets of Canadians. It is a tax cut for every single Canadian. This is the right plan.

Note: he also wanted to eliminate all tax on the first $15k. Current federal tax rates:
15% on the first $46,605 of taxable income, +
20.5% on the next $46,603 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 46,605 up to $93,208), +
26% on the next $51,281 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $93,208 up to $144,489), +
29% on the next $61,353 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 144,489 up to $205,842), +
33% of taxable income over $205,842.

In other words, this would be an enormous tax cut. And yet, despite the enormous drop in revenue from this and other cuts in taxes on capital gains, corporations, and carbon...

quote:

Balance the budget within two years of taking power

Debt and deficits are nothing more than deferred taxes on our children and grandchildren. At some point, the bill will come due for the reckless spending from the Trudeau Liberal government. That is why it is important to present a balanced budget within two years of taking office, commit to only running balanced budget, and legislate a debt repayment schedule. This is the right plan.

That's right, he'll balance the budget. How? By massively reducing social spending, as hinted at in his plan to privatize pretty much everything the government does. Of note: while fiscal libertarianism may not seem like a racist or sexist policy, it often ends up being one because a lot of the policies that force our country to not be racist and sexist, like enforcement of acts mandating equal rights, or social spending to benefit disadvantaged groups, require money to be spent on them, which is why the "fiscal conservative, social liberal" idea is always a chimera.

There's a bunch of gun stuff too, I'm not going to copy/paste all of it but it's worth noting that 1) relaxing gun policy was one of the seven pillars of his campaign; and 2) the gist of all the gun stuff is "more guns". See for yourself if you must.

quote:

Reduce the total number of immigrants to 250,000 per year

Preventing our businesses from hiring the immigrant manpower they need with red tape is a big government policy. At the other extreme, mass immigration that would create social tensions and is not in the interest of Canadians is also a big government policy. A government under my leadership would find an appropriate middle ground so as to unleash Canada's economic potential. I would reduce the number of immigrants from 300,000 a year under the Liberal government back to 250,000 as it was on average under the Harper government.

quote:

Increase resources for CSIS, the RCMP, and Canadian immigration officials to do background checks and interviews as necessary

To ensure our security, I would increase resources for CSIS, the RCMP and Canadian Immigration and Citizenship to do background checks on all classes of immigrants, including more face-to-face interviews if deemed necessary.

One of the few places he promises to spend more money is to increase policing on immigration.

quote:

Immigration must not be used as a tool to forcibly change the cultural character and social fabric of Canada

Our immigration policy should not aim to forcibly change the cultural character and social fabric of Canada, as radical proponents of multiculturalism want. The vast majority of Canadians rightly expect immigrants to learn about our history and culture, master one of our official languages, and adopt widely shared Canadian values such as equality of men and woman, tolerance for diversity and respect for Canadian law.

This is a not-very-subtle dogwhistle saying "admit fewer people of colour so Canada can remain a white country".

tl;dr: the crux of Bernier's policy proposals is: fewer immigrants, less diversity, more guns, more police, privatize government.

e: also his leadership platform never once mentioned First Nations, so what we know about his ideas on that front are based on the bad tweets

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 5, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PittTheElder posted:

First Nations' problems can be easily solved by giving them real estate, as we know housing values go up uP UP!

Yeah, I guess we could return some of that unceded land

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

bunnyofdoom posted:

Personally, I am more hoping that like this shines a light on some of the more egregious poo poo.

The different here is that Ford replaced Brown, not Ford created his own party. The Trump example also is that he didn't go off and create his own party either.

This is more early 90's con split then Trump/Ford.

The Reform party basically set the agenda for the 1990s though and people associated with it are now the elder statesmen of the conservative movement. With Reform in opposition the rest of the political spectrum was dragged to the right and the Chretien Liberals - after getting elected on a platform of oppossing NAFTA and investing in new government programs - used the Reform party as an excuse to dramatically cut back transfer payments and tax rates. While a lot of the more populist elements of the Reform platform like an elected senate never went anywhere the party had a significant impact on Canadian politics.

So again, I'm not getting the triumphalism here. Even if the Conservatives lose the next election because of vote splitting there are plenty of elections after that where an anti-immigrant party with real growth potential could now be on the ballot. If you're thinking ten years ahead instead of one then that doesn't seem like something to celebrate, especially when the best thing establishment liberalism has on offer right is Justin Trudeau.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Do all of these white supremacist politicians know literally 0 non-white people? I can imagine them meeting someone at a dinner party and being like "Nice to meet you! I literally want to kill you!"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

PittTheElder posted:

"We have... the absolute need of awakening in the savage Indian broader desires and ampler wants. To bring him out of savagery into citizenship we must make the Indian more intelligently selfish before we can make him unselfishly intelligent... The desire for property of his own may become an intense educating force. To wish for a home of his own awakens him to new efforts. Discontent with the teepee and the starving rations of the Indian camp in winter is needed to get the Indian out of the blanket and into trousers, — and trousers with a pocket in them, and with a pocket that aches to be filled with dollars."

— Merrill E Gates

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Aside from the white supremacy everything quoted sounds good tbqh, delete all government please

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 5, 2018

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

xtal posted:

Aside from the white supremacy everything quoted sounds good tbqh

Inasmuch as the only image of colonial administration is at it is run through the fantasy of it as a magical civilizing and enriching force.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xtal posted:

Do all of these white supremacist politicians know literally 0 non-white people? I can imagine them meeting someone at a dinner party and being like "Nice to meet you! I literally want to kill you!"

The ones they know or work with are some of the good ones who know their place. Our new FEMALE employee rolls her eyes at feminist stuff, we found out Chuck is 1/2 native and was adopted to a nice white suburban family and he has some strong common-sense real-talk opinions on the coddling and handouts people on reserves get. Amir immigrated here legally, he's not christian but he's super anti-union and his son is in the Canadian forces fighting terrorists so he's ok.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

xtal posted:

Aside from the white supremacy everything quoted sounds good tbqh, delete all government please

I thought anarchists were supposed to pretend that the outcome of abolishing government wouldn't be a massive increase in private tyranny. When you start cheering for privatized healthcare the mask kinda slips.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

quote:

Hello Members!

On behalf of the SFU BCYL team, welcome back to school! We hope everyone had a great summer and we’re hoping we can keep things lively this fall.

Just a couple of quick announcements on our end. First, we will be hosting our Legalize Uber and Chill Pub Night on September 20 at Club Ilia. Feel free to bring your friends and spread the news, we hope to see you all there!

The team will also be at Clubs Days on September 11 and 13 so be sure to swing by and say hi!

We hope the rest of your first week back goes well and let’s have a great fall term!

Sincerely,

The SFU BC Young Liberal Club

PS - if you haven't already, be sure to confirm your membership in the club for the semester by logging in to go.sfss.ca
Lol

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

I thought anarchists were supposed to pretend that the outcome of abolishing government wouldn't be a massive increase in private tyranny. When you start cheering for privatized healthcare the mask kinda slips.

It's already privatized, just by people with guns. And anarchism requires the removal of capitalism; the issue of state vs corp ownership is irrelevant to it.

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 5, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

The ones they know or work with are some of the good ones who know their place. Our new FEMALE employee rolls her eyes at feminist stuff, we found out Chuck is 1/2 native and was adopted to a nice white suburban family and he has some strong common-sense real-talk opinions on the coddling and handouts people on reserves get. Amir immigrated here legally, he's not christian but he's super anti-union and his son is in the Canadian forces fighting terrorists so he's ok.

Or, to put it in Mad Max tweet form:

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1031324991684575232

"It's okay for me to be racist because some people of colour are also racist"

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Helsing posted:

I don't know why you think the public/private binary would exist outside of the capitalist systems, private property and organizations (like corporations) that hold them exists because there are laws in place that regulate how they are run. They aren't intrinsic to human condition and wouldn't immediately fill the vacuum of 'no government' from an anarchist perspective.

If you're a libertarian you tend to believe in replacing government with the 'free market' and basically corporations, that's where 'private tyranny' is an issue.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

Bernier platform

This is pretty much the Moen-Libertarian platform almost word for word, except Moen wanted a 15% flat tax with tax credits for being a student/old/2 other things I forgot.

Bernier is going to take enough support from Scheer that he collapses the big tent Conservative experiment and pushes everything further right... If he can get enough candidates to ruin.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Helsing posted:

So excited for a racist xenophobic party that might actually attract media attention and prominent support! Based on my meticulous record of watching every West Wing episode ever and my solemn commitment to never learn anything from 2016 I have determined that this can mean only good things for the country.

Like, for fucks sake, even if this does help Trudeau win the next election don't any of you people realize politics occurs on a longer time scale than four years? If I had to choose I would rather Scheer run the country than have a genuine hard right party emerge at exactly the moment in history when hard right parties are rapidly gaining support.

All the racists that will vote for Bernier would still exist without his new party - the difference being of course that they’d simply fall in line and vote Conservative. A split amongst the right is good because it’ll makes the racists less likely to get into power. Bernier splitting the right vote is a lot less dangerous to immigrants and minorities than Bernier co-opting the CPC into the dogwhistle anti-immigrant party

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

Or, to put it in Mad Max tweet form:

"It's okay for me to be racist because some people of colour are also racist"

Some of my best friends are black!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Idk about it going "further right". It's not like these weren't already popular pet ideas within the Reform party

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

xtal posted:

It's already privatized, just by people with guns. And anarchism requires the removal of capitalism; the issue of state vs corp ownership is irrelevant to it.

So do you not think a lot of vulnerable people would suffer worse if the current system were privatized (using the conventional usage of that word)?

Toalpaz posted:

I don't know why you think the public/private binary would exist outside of the capitalist systems, private property and organizations (like corporations) that hold them exists because there are laws in place that regulate how they are run. They aren't intrinsic to human condition and wouldn't immediately fill the vacuum of 'no government' from an anarchist perspective.

If you're a libertarian you tend to believe in replacing government with the 'free market' and basically corporations, that's where 'private tyranny' is an issue.

Private hierarchy and authority long predates the modern state and continue to exist in situations where the state collapses. The idea that removing laws magically removes the basis for inequality doesn't become any less dumb when the person advocating for it calls themselves an anarchist instead of a libertarian.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

All the racists that will vote for Bernier would still exist without his new party - the difference being of course that they’d simply fall in line and vote Conservative. A split amongst the right is good because it’ll makes the racists less likely to get into power. Bernier splitting the right vote is a lot less dangerous to immigrants and minorities than Bernier co-opting the CPC into the dogwhistle anti-immigrant party

This seems completely wrongheaded frankly. People's opinions and attitudes are shaped by their political environment and the actors within it. Political parties don't just reveal pre existing attitudes they also shape and change those attitudes over time.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

So do you not think a lot of vulnerable people would suffer worse if the current system were privatized (using the conventional usage of that word)?

They would suffer worse (because of capitalism.) It's wild to live in a society that enslaves the working class, tosses them some crumbs and says "the working class needs us! think of the crumbs!"

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 5, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

That's about as meaningful as asking a very sick person if they haven't considered not getting sick in the first place.

Unfortunately the Canadian working class can only look enviously on the lucky inhabitants of Libya or Idlib who fortunately have been freed from state tyranny.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

xtal posted:

State services can't be a solution because relying on the state is itself a problem.

:thunk:

I know you tried to edit this out but I'm not sure why since it is the clearest expression of your opinion. You're literally cheering for someone who said they plan to privatize healthcare and then blaming the state when called out on it.

We can just skip the next part of the conversation where in order to have anything functioning in your society you end up reinventing the government but with a new name, in the same inevitable way that every anarchist commune ever ends up being insanely cliquey, hierarchical and toxic.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Helsing posted:

This seems completely wrongheaded frankly. People's opinions and attitudes are shaped by their political environment and the actors within it. Political parties don't just reveal pre existing attitudes they also shape and change those attitudes over time.

I would have to agree with Helsing here, and it's why I want the NDP to be an actual left socialist party, even if it means less tangible power in the short term.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

You're literally cheering for someone who said they plan to privatize healthcare and then blaming the state when called out on it.

This is completely correct. Delete all government. TIA

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
State x being present is a Bad Thing in that it means we're lacking in public x. Go donate to Four Thieves Vinegar and shut up.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Smashing the state one privatized service at a time :downs:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Anarcho-communism is probably like the one ideology that is dumber than anarcho -capitalism, and that’s quite a hurdle

Syndicalists are alright.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It's like the galaxy brain meme came to life and started posting in this thread

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

It's like the one time someone tried to convince me anarchy could work on a large scale because he has a friend that lives in a household with 5 other people and they live in "anarchy"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

If playing too much Civilization has taught me anything, you need to spend a few years in Anarchy before you switch to Communism

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Anarchic groups can definitely exist and prosper, the one that immediately comes to mind is Alcoholics Anonymous. The problem being that literally everyone has to be on the exact same page and it’s incredibly easy for wreakers to mess everything up.

To think that an anarchic organization could handle something like healthcare or public housing on a large scale seems to be pretty ignorant. Some organizations and services demand a certain amount of hierarchy to function efficiently

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xtal posted:

State x being present is a Bad Thing in that it means we're lacking in public x. Go donate to Four Thieves Vinegar and shut up.

No thanks. As someone dependent on medicine for good brains, I don’t want the only source of my meds to be a rickety anarchist commune.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DariusLikewise posted:

If playing too much Civilization has taught me anything, you need to spend a few years in Anarchy before you switch to Communism

And that civilizations are ruled by immortal god-kings.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Yes, and it is going to get much, much worse before it improves.

Not to be too fatalistic about it, other than silencing him there is not many alternatives to pursue. He has a platform to shout his nonsense from and it will sway people.

Hopefully the Canadian left has been paying attention to south of the border for the last 3 years.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

No thanks. As someone dependent on medicine for good brains, I don’t want the only source of my meds to be a rickety anarchist commune.

Maybe you should try and make it less rickety? Or have fun with your wait times and insurance and pharma-corps loving you over I guess.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/881161169469403137

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

xtal posted:

Maybe you should try and make it less rickety?

And this won't result in the reinvention of states because...

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

And this won't result in the reinvention of states because...

That conclusion says more about you than anything I put forward. Do you conduct a hostile takeover of the local community garden too? Not everything has to be about coercion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

xtal posted:

That conclusion says more about you than anything I put forward. Do you conduct a hostile takeover of the local community garden too? Not everything has to be about coercion.

Lmao