Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not sure this belongs in the MH thread or not (its like 34,000 posts long) but how in the ever loving gently caress do you target lock something? I've done everything possible and not even changing the controls will let me target lock anything.

Am I royally loving this up? Its pretty annoying not to be able to lock on to one thing and have my dude face it so I I can beat the poo poo out of it.

So when you're in the zone with the monster, you need to hit ZL, and from then on when you hit L it'll focus your camera on the monster instead of your character's facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not sure this belongs in the MH thread or not (its like 34,000 posts long) but how in the ever loving gently caress do you target lock something? I've done everything possible and not even changing the controls will let me target lock anything.

Am I royally loving this up? Its pretty annoying not to be able to lock on to one thing and have my dude face it so I I can beat the poo poo out of it.

The best you can do on large monsters (bosses primarily) is using ZL to lock on the target (their icon in the top right should change to have a target superimposed over it) and the left shoulder after that will point your camera in the direction of the monster. You can't lock your camera or target onto an enemy as a significant portion of the gameplay and challenge is aiming your attacks precisely at particular parts of the enemy monster as you need to attack different parts of large monsters with different weapons due to weaknesses, resistances, hardness against weapon types, and other considerations like severing or damaging parts to weaken the enemy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zibidibodel posted:

The best you can do on large monsters (bosses primarily) is using ZL to lock on the target (their icon in the top right should change to have a target superimposed over it) and the left shoulder after that will point your camera in the direction of the monster. You can't lock your camera or target onto an enemy as a significant portion of the gameplay and challenge is aiming your attacks precisely at particular parts of the enemy monster as you need to attack different parts of large monsters with different weapons due to weaknesses, resistances, hardness against weapon types, and other considerations like severing or damaging parts to weaken the enemy.

Oh good god.

Uh ok well I'm not sure this is the game for me... I'm gonna spend more time with it but not being able to lock on to things is a bit frustrating when there are like 3 dudes running around.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Oh good god.

Uh ok well I'm not sure this is the game for me... I'm gonna spend more time with it but not being able to lock on to things is a bit frustrating when there are like 3 dudes running around.

you're never going to get into a fight with three large monsters simultaneously, the game engine literally cannot handle it

fwiw monster hunter world does have true lock on along with the ability to lock onto small monsters so get hype for monster hunter portable world releasing in 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

How many hours is into the breach (or is it "infinite"?) trying to get a lot of bang for my buck these days, it looks right up my alley but dont want spend money on something that won't keep me occupied for very long

A given playthrough is 1-3 hours depending how long it takes you to strategize and how long you choose a given run to be. Assuming you play the game with each unique squad once thats 6-18 hours of gaming. Thats assuming every run succeeds and moving at a decent pace through the game.

MarcusSA posted:

Oh good god.

Everyone who said world unfucked the game series were not joking.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MarcusSA posted:

Oh good god.

It’s not a huge deal, you’ll only fight one boss monster at once. The smaller ones that may also be around won’t be an issue most of the time and you can ignore them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

you're never going to get into a fight with three large monsters simultaneously, the game engine literally cannot handle it

fwiw monster hunter world does have true lock on along with the ability to lock onto small monsters so get hype for monster hunter portable world releasing in 2020

Yeah what I mean is like the few fights I've had there will be one big fucker but like 3 smaller dudes running around and it would be nice to lock on to one of them but I guess not.

Barudak posted:

Everyone who said world unfucked the game series were not joking.

This seems to be the case.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah what I mean is like the few fights I've had there will be one big fucker but like 3 smaller dudes running around and it would be nice to lock on to one of them but I guess not.

Honestly I mostly ignore the smaller enemies and incorporate their movements into my dodges and vaults, eventually the big guy usually kills them all. It's more of an issue in early game when even the large monsters aren't very large (like Great Maccao) but by the time you're fighting really large enemies they just catch all the little enemies in their each and every swipe/rush until they're all gone... except the bullfangos... they can go to hell...

Edit: I'll also say another mitigating factor is that once you get used to the controls you realize the weapons are very predictable in where they'll hit based on your facing so it becomes less of an issue as well.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Oh good god.

Use paintballs on each big monster and look at the minimap. If the 3 dudes giving you problems are the big monster and two tiny things, just kill the tiny things. Or ignore them! The only adds I kill are boars cause they're so god damned annoying.

Not being able to lock on sounds crazy but it works once you adjust. The game wouldn't with with lock on like in Zelda, Dark Souls, etc. You need to precisely aim/jump off ledges at weird angles/whatever and if the game forced you to lock onto a target hitting what you want to hit would be maddening.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zibidibodel posted:

Honestly I mostly ignore the smaller enemies and incorporate their movements into my dodges and vaults, eventually the big guy usually kills them all. It's more of an issue in early game when even the large monsters aren't very large (like Great Maccao) but by the time you're fighting really large enemies they just catch all the little enemies in their each and every swipe/rush until they're all gone... except the bullfangos... they can go to hell...

Edit: I'll also say another mitigating factor is that once you get used to the controls you realize the weapons are very predictable in where they'll hit based on your facing so it becomes less of an issue as well.

Ah ok makes sense I guess.

Oh yeah why do the corpses disappear so quickly? I'm not very far into the game but things don't seem to stay on the ground very long.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok makes sense I guess.

Oh yeah why do the corpses disappear so quickly? I'm not very far into the game but things don't seem to stay on the ground very long.

That's probably just a byproduct of originally being on the 3DS and needing to get poo poo off the screen before more stuff spawned in.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

MarcusSA posted:

Really, dealing with the little monsters is a matter of getting used to dealing with them as they come. Many large monster fights don't have any, and ones that do you'll learn to work with them with experience. Of course, no level of experience will be able to outdo a Rhenopolos charging from off screen out of nowhere. Those jerks seem to have an undying hatred of hunters. :v:

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah, that's a PAIN IN THE rear end. I pretty much scramble to loot some while my palicos hold off other enemies when killing large chains of small monsters so they don't disappear. I don't, however, usually worry about the little ones when fighting against a large monster. It's pretty much all hands on deck to get my VALOR DODGE on so I don't die! (I main Valor Greatsword and am only through the 5* Low Rank missions, and this is my first real Monster Hunter game that gripped me)

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Ziddar posted:

Really, dealing with the little monsters is a matter of getting used to dealing with them as they come. Many large monster fights don't have any, and ones that do you'll learn to work with them with experience. Of course, no level of experience will be able to outdo a Rhenopolos charging from off screen out of nowhere. Those jerks seem to have an undying hatred of hunters. :v:

Haha, I was fighting a stupid condom dragon and another one dropped out of the sky and there were Bullfangos around charging me. I just re-paintballed them, ran to another zone and waited for them to split out of that area.

Edit: Condom Dragon is here - http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Khezu

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zibidibodel posted:

Yeah, that's a PAIN IN THE rear end. I pretty much scramble to loot some while my palicos hold off other enemies when killing large chains of small monsters so they don't disappear. I don't, however, usually worry about the little ones when fighting against a large monster. It's pretty much all hands on deck to get my VALOR DODGE on so I don't die! (I main Valor Greatsword and am only through the 5* Low Rank missions, and this is my first real Monster Hunter game that gripped me)

OK I guess I am going to have to give it a bit more time. I really want to like the game but drat they don't make it easy!

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

OK I guess I am going to have to give it a bit more time. I really want to like the game but drat they don't make it easy!

Also make sure to try out weapons and find a weapon/style combo that fits your playstyle. What weapon are you using right now?

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Zibidibodel posted:

Haha, I was fighting a stupid condom dragon and another one dropped out of the sky and there were Bullfangos around charging me. I just re-paintballed them, ran to another zone and waited for them to split out of that area.

Edit: Condom Dragon is here - http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Khezu

Remember, you can throw dungbombs at large monsters to make them flee the area. They're also handy to have when a monster pins you, as it'll immediately break the pin.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zibidibodel posted:

Also make sure to try out weapons and find a weapon/style combo that fits your playstyle. What weapon are you using right now?

Using some dual swords that looked cool but seem to do dick all for damage

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MarcusSA posted:

If you ever get the hardware to play it, you should try out Monster Hunter World. I suspect that you're being held back by the "Monster Hunter Jank" that made the series so niche outside of Japan in the first place. MHW brings so many quality-of-life fixes to the series that it makes the prior games worse simply by existing.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Using some dual swords that looked cool but seem to do dick all for damage

Dual Blades are pretty fun and awesome, but they do way less damage per hit, but they give you a LOT of mobility. They shine for me against faster large monsters that I'm always dodging heavily. I like Greatsword for its damage, but it's VERY slow and takes a lot of deliberation. I'd recommend checking out some videos by Gaijinhunter or some others on youtube on weapon types, styles, and playstyles. Then practice and practice and practice your moves until you feel like a BOSS when you get the perfect hits in perfect timing.

Ziddar posted:

Remember, you can throw dungbombs at large monsters to make them flee the area. They're also handy to have when a monster pins you, as it'll immediately break the pin.

Yeah... I always remember that after I make a bunch of dungbombs and don't bring them with me on a hunt. That's one of the things I've gotten least used to (other than throwing the bug for insect glaive and letting buffs drop). I should really use them on Nargacuga when he's going to the stage where he sleeps off-screen so you can't even get the heavy damage attack against him.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

If you ever get the hardware to play it, you should try out Monster Hunter World. I suspect that you're being held back by the "Monster Hunter Jank" that made the series so niche outside of Japan in the first place. MHW brings so many quality-of-life fixes to the series that it makes the prior games worse simply by existing.

Yeah honestly I'll probably get it in the steam winter sale. I'm at my MH quota for the next few months.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I only played one monster hunter on the PSP. It annoyed me with how quickly it dove me into everything because I would have had to figure out all of the stats and how the world works and make decisions right out of the gate with no real tutorial of any sort.

Is it still that way or did worlds change this?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Here's a fun question:

What digital (indie) only games are worth a look and are not on Steam? So far I have Snipperclips, Blaster Master Zero, and Voez as the candidates.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Human Crouton posted:

I only played one monster hunter on the PSP. It annoyed me with how quickly it dove me into everything because I would have had to figure out all of the stats and how the world works and make decisions right out of the gate with no real tutorial of any sort.

World is waaaaaaaaaaay more user-friendly and eases you into the loop much more

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Dunno, just seemed boring after a couple levels. :shrug: I just got done playing a couple Shovel Knight campaigns so maybe that contributed but I'm not super into platformers to be honest. Bayo just seems like button mashing which may be fun but not my thing. I need to go back and give it at least a few more minutes and give it a chance, but I have a feeling it'll be the same result.

Favorite games are probably RPG and ARPG/Diablo games, Zeldas, Metroids, and Rocket League. Odyssey was just ok but I loved the poo poo out of some previous Mario sandbox (64, galaxy) games. I didn't like the controls or hat gimmick much. :can:

Not sure man, not every game from genres I like hits home every time either. I like Nintendo 1st party stuff but less now that I'm getting older.

bayo's only a button masher if you're really bad at it and refuse to engage with its mechanics

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

World gives you good tutorials whenever you are about to learn something new. World is also simpler to understand by default so you'd have little trouble getting into it.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

I don't know why I've never known this but MHGen Ultimate got way easier when I learned that capcom has an official online manual that actually has GOOD INFORMATION on stuff like weapon attack sequences and styles...

http://game.capcom.com/manual/MH_GenU/en/switch

Why they don't tell about this everywhere in the game I'm at a loss for. When I looked for it I had to cheat and find a link inside their site by messing with the link to the online manual to the original Generations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shadow225 posted:

Here's a fun question:

What digital (indie) only games are worth a look and are not on Steam? So far I have Snipperclips, Blaster Master Zero, and Voez as the candidates.
I really enjoyed Golf Story but it was also during the dry spell between Spla2n and Odyssey so I didn't mind putting a lot of time into it. I dunno if it'd keep my interest now when I've got 20 different games I still need to play.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm excited for Xenoblade torna if only for more original music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRtAbX2-f3A

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zibidibodel posted:

I don't know why I've never known this but MHGen Ultimate got way easier when I learned that capcom has an official online manual that actually has GOOD INFORMATION on stuff like weapon attack sequences and styles...

http://game.capcom.com/manual/MH_GenU/en/switch

Why they don't tell about this everywhere in the game I'm at a loss for. When I looked for it I had to cheat and find a link inside their site by messing with the link to the online manual to the original Generations.

It's in the start menu, as are explanations for the weapons and styles and recommended combos. Probably the same information.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Nintendo just posted a look at a full board game playthrough on their japanese YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPefFPVOL8

GameXplain Analysis video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sgerdGijF4

Bonus Stars are returning of course; two Bonus Stars get given out at the end (one for most helpful allies and the other being the usual Happening Star). Also, that ending really reminds me of the OG Mario Party ending.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey.

Hey guys.

You know the legend of Zelda game where you play as Zelda that everyone has wanted for a while?

I just came up with the perfect title for such a game and I'm very proud of it.

The Zelda of Legend

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1037396793212973056?s=21

Gonna own!!!!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kvlt! posted:

How many hours is into the breach (or is it "infinite"?)

It's "infinite", though once you can consistently beat it your motivation for replaying it might dwindle to unlocking all of the achievements.

There's still a huge bang-for-your-buck, and I'm enjoying it again even though I burned out on it when I beat everything when it was first released.

There's also huge possibility for interesting self-imposed challenge runs.

Barudak posted:

Assuming you play the game with each unique squad once thats 6-18 hours of gaming. Thats assuming every run succeeds and moving at a decent pace through the game.

Those are crazy unrealistic assumptions and anyone new to the game is going to get significantly more hours of enjoyment out of it.

I know you didn't mean to be misleading but I don't want the above-quoted poster to get the wrong impression. Game is worth $15.

American McGay posted:

I really enjoyed Golf Story but it was also during the dry spell between Spla2n and Odyssey so I didn't mind putting a lot of time into it. I dunno if it'd keep my interest now when I've got 20 different games I still need to play.

I've been enjoying continuing Golf Story lately even though I have a surplus of games. It's still relaxing and amusing (except when it's stressful), and makes a pretty good game to play in public spaces because the quirky humor is easy for others to drop in on.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lack of lock-on is the one monhun QOL thing that's a feature, not a bug. You want to be able to position and swing your weapons at different angles because of how the weapon attacks animate and how you usually want to be beating specific parts of the monster. A bunch of the weapons would be useless and you wouldn't have a good time cutting tails and poo poo if you were locked into the center of the monster.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tender Bender posted:

Lack of lock-on is the one monhun QOL thing that's a feature, not a bug. You want to be able to position and swing your weapons at different angles because of how the weapon attacks animate and how you usually want to be beating specific parts of the monster. A bunch of the weapons would be useless and you wouldn't have a good time cutting tails and poo poo if you were locked into the center of the monster.

Well yeah that's why Monhun World has multiple lock-on points if you wanna use it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Maybe I've just been playing games longer than other people but, like. Just point yourself at the monster.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

How many hours is into the breach (or is it "infinite"?) trying to get a lot of bang for my buck these days, it looks right up my alley but dont want spend money on something that won't keep me occupied for very long

Very replayable, a run is only 90 minutes-3 hours or so depending, and you could very well beat the game on your first run. But the point is to beat it with different squads, each squad has different moves and abilities so you learn how to approach missions differently with each one. And there are achievements to target, some of which are basically "play well" and others involve unorthodox goals or challenge runs.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Well yeah that's why Monhun World has multiple lock-on points if you wanna use it.

Sure but it's not like MH XX's "press the button to point the camera at the monster" is some arcane inscrutable thing. There are genuine problems with the older titles but I don't get why, now that world is out, people need to act like every feature of the older games was complete trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If Metroid isn't in this direct I will continue living exactly as I have since being horribly, horribly disappointed by Other M.

• Locked thread