Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ThornBrain posted:

We all need a maze in our lives.

It was very considerate of you to go to all that effort to make a delicious snack for that Like Like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Tarm Ruins is definitely one of the most memorable parts of this game - fantastic atmospheric music, and actual puzzles using the season mechanics to their fullest. It's really not a big area, only a handful of screens (the puzzle section is just four!), but nobody forgets it. I wish there'd been more areas like this in the game (the only area I think compares is the Temple Remains, which we'll be getting to in a couple of episodes; interestingly, another musical highlight too).

Fun thing about the trading sidequest: if you know the hint already, you can skip the trading quest entirely: it doesn't check whether you've given the Deku Scrub the phonograph or anything, just whether you followed the directions.

That poor shield.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
All dragons, all the time.

Dragons

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Something about the Tarm Ruins music reminds me a lot of Shadowgate. Can't quite put my finger on why.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a short little area but for some reason it's just really neat

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

All dragons, all the time.

Dragons

Are you sure you wanted to post this here, and not in the Restoration Queen thread?

The Tarm Ruins show that the rod of seasons had a much higher potential for cool gimmicks than the time travel thing in ages. Too bad that they rarely use it this well.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

If the entire last half of the game were like Tarm Ruins, this game would shoot up to the top slot of my favorite Zelda games.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Minor piece of trivia: if you're playing an un-linked Seasons game, your first sighting of Twinrova (in disguise) is right in front of this dungeon entrance.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tarm ruins also does a really good job of quickly highlighting the vibrant color palettes the game has. it's a good as hell little segment that plays to the game's strengths. it probably seems weird to see a bunch of people praise such a tiny little bit of the game but the overall package is very aesthetically pleasing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If you're insane like I am and going for 100% seed rings, that patch of dirt near the dungeon is the best place to farm. There are two extremely rare rings that only show up in two different areas of both games, and in Ages you can only access one of those patches in a linked game. You can use the dungeon item in the next dungeon to kill the Armos statues in the Lost Woods area, and they respawn when you walk off the screen. It takes 40 defeated enemies for a Gasha Nut to spawn so you can get them in short order.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I'm learning as I record more portable Zeldas for later LPs: the portable games make the boomerang way cooler than the 3D games.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm triggered by your nonchalance at having lost your shield. The completionist in me would have gone apeshit long ago.

The magnetic gloves are such a cool item. They get consistent use many times after the dungeon you get them in, unlike the Cane of Somaria.

The upgraded boomerang is great, but there's some visceral satisfaction at killing enemies with just your sword (and shield!).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Sure would suck to fall down that hole to the lowest floor right before the Magic Boomerang room before getting it...

Otherwise this is such a cool action dungeon (and boss) (and item). I'm kinda eh on Seasons in general compared to Ages, but this one part is a standout to me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Zelda series isn't much for instant death, but if you get crushed by the closing walls in the leadup to the Boss Key, you'll automatically die.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

get that OUT of my face posted:

The Zelda series isn't much for instant death, but if you get crushed by the closing walls in the leadup to the Boss Key, you'll automatically die.

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure a potion won't save you from it either! That's very unusual for Zelda, and might actually be the first time it's happened (the only other I can think of is getting caught by lava in the digging tunnels of that one Skyward Sword dungeon).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Explopyro posted:

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure a potion won't save you from it either! That's very unusual for Zelda, and might actually be the first time it's happened (the only other I can think of is getting caught by lava in the digging tunnels of that one Skyward Sword dungeon).

A potion won't save you from death if you return to the shop in Link's Awakening after stealing something.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Dead men wakawakawaka no tales.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just realized that not only is Ambi running around in a completely different place, she's also running around 400 years in the future (from her perspective). That's gotta be trippy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

somehow i completely forgot the desert segment, but i guess part of that is because it's so short and only a couple of screens with just a single notable 'thing' to do there

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

They make you jump through hoops to get the Rad Ring but man once you get it that bad boy's never coming off Link's finger.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Just a shame Link doesn't have more fingers, really.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The only time the Red Ring is less damage than the Power Ring L-3 is when you're using the Wooden Sword. With the Noble Sword it does the same damage with no drawback, and with the Master Sword it does more damage.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Peahats are the helicopter guys. The enemies driving you crazy in the desert were Leevers.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Perhaps it only became a crypt because the dragon kept eating everyone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A trick for that boomerang puzzle: when it hits something it returns right to you, but can still hit things along the way. So instead of throwing the curve you can throw it straight along the bottom then curve it up into the wall. Not as useful here (both the methots are a bit tricky, it's just which one the player can do better), but this trivializes a couple of boomerang puzzles later on.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
My trick for that puzzle was using the magnetic gloves to kill the darknuts on the other side of the pit. Drag 'em in, and the bridge extends, and then you can just hit the switch with your sword, though it's pointless at that point.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Anyone who says they don’t use the Roc’s Cape to fly around all of Holodrum is a loving liar and they’re going to hell

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Anyone who says they don’t use the Roc’s Cape to fly around all of Holodrum is a loving liar and they’re going to hell

What's fun is there are a couple of holes up north which are intended for the cape but can just barely be lept with pegasus seeds, the feather, and the game being forgiving with how much of you needs to land outside a pit to not fall in. The downside is that when you try to go back there's a ball and chain guy who hangs out right on the other side of the pit, so you have to make a pixel-perfect jump while avoiding being bodied by the guy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bruceski posted:

What's fun is there are a couple of holes up north which are intended for the cape but can just barely be lept with pegasus seeds, the feather, and the game being forgiving with how much of you needs to land outside a pit to not fall in. The downside is that when you try to go back there's a ball and chain guy who hangs out right on the other side of the pit, so you have to make a pixel-perfect jump while avoiding being bodied by the guy.

Sounds like a job for gale seeds

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Short detour to the linked game's Hero Cave for some brainteasers and body bruises.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's a pretty bad reward for doing this bullshit, considering that killing the four golden monsters in not really more challenging, just maybe a bit more work in traveling to their locations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Remember how I mentioned the boomerang doesn't care about walls when it comes back to you? That can help on the first puzzle here to hit some of the far back switches, and on the second one you just stand below that twisty passage, throw it right and curve up, and hit the wall on the opposite side of the switch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Hero's Cave in Ages is even harder with the puzzles than the one in Seasons, but interestingly, the final room is an enemy gauntlet instead of a puzzle, in a weird little role reversal.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The penultimate part of the LP takes us through the final dungeon. One of the more bland-sounding names, but it's more accurately a Fire And Ice Dungeon.

Sunday will be the final part of the LP and the thread!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Can someone remind me why you can't juse Pegasus Seed + Roc's Feather into the last dungeon right after the 5th dungeon? Cause it looks like the only item you absolutely must have is the magnetic gloves

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I suspect the Pegasus Seeds work because of Greek Mythology references. In some myths Pegasus was born from Medusa after she was decapitated by Perseus, and the Pegasus in general is associated with him, ergo Pegasus seeds stun the Gorgon and let you hyper decapitate her or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One of the linked game rings you get prevents slipping on ice. Makes quite a difference here.

lezard_valeth posted:

Can someone remind me why you can't juse Pegasus Seed + Roc's Feather into the last dungeon right after the 5th dungeon? Cause it looks like the only item you absolutely must have is the magnetic gloves

At 10:40, I don't believe seeds+feather can go three spaces in the 2D plane.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Bruceski posted:

One of the linked game rings you get prevents slipping on ice. Makes quite a difference here.

At 10:40, I don't believe seeds+feather can go three spaces in the 2D plane.

And these games don't have the Boots which let us go the 3 spaces when combined with the feather either, so that's why, Link is just too slow. Capcom frowned on sequence breaking and things that allowed it a lot more than Nintendo ever has.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You can get over three-space wide gaps with just the feather and the pegasus seeds if you try hard enough, it's a slightly awkward and definitely unintended jump but it's possible. I would guess, however, that the Subrosian doing a firework does not spawn until you beat the 7th dungeon.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shooting Pegasus Seeds at most enemies stuns them. And you can also shoot Mystery Seeds at the miniboss to make it switch from fire form to ice form, and vice versa. It makes fighting it a little quicker.