Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What are considered “failures” in the MCU? Like critically IM2, Thor: LW and maybe Avengers AoA but everything has performed fairly well at the box office I believe?

The closest thing to a flop I could think of is Incredible Hulk. But who knows, they’ve set expectations so high, I wouldn’t be surprised if one that comes out and makes only half a billion dollars as a bomb.

Also just writing that sentence above is making me lol at DCEU. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/1037409300241637378

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sticksy posted:

What are considered “failures” in the MCU? Like critically IM2, Thor: LW and maybe Avengers AoA but everything has performed fairly well at the box office I believe?

The closest thing to a flop I could think of is Incredible Hulk. But who knows, they’ve set expectations so high, I wouldn’t be surprised if one that comes out and makes only half a billion dollars as a bomb.

Ant Man and the Wasp did below expectations and still made $600 million.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sticksy posted:

(Sad Iron Man is what makes this.)

Edit:

I think this joke is actually from circa 2010 or so (whenever Disney bought Marvel) and it's another "how things change" thing:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 5, 2018

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

You ever stop and remember for a second how Sony thinks it's going to successfully make a Spiderman cinematic universe without Spiderman, featuring stand alone films for such luminaries as Jackpot or Morbius or Kraven in a non-Spidey-hunting-context, and get totally gobsmacked at how completely the U.S. economy has become an engine primarily geared towards rewarding rich failsons and protecting them from the consequences of being profoundly stupid with vast sums of money?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SlimGoodbody posted:

You ever stop and remember for a second how Sony thinks it's going to successfully make a Spiderman cinematic universe without Spiderman, featuring stand alone films for such luminaries as Jackpot or Morbius or Kraven in a non-Spidey-hunting-context, and get totally gobsmacked at how completely the U.S. economy has become an engine primarily geared towards rewarding rich failsons and protecting them from the consequences of being profoundly stupid with vast sums of money?
Yes, I also read the leaked Sony emails

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
But what if the movies are good

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SlimGoodbody posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, I also read the leaked Sony emails

Excuse me, one half of the people on those email chains were women.

Don't erase rich faildaughters from history.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fangz posted:

But what if the movies are good

lol be serious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where's my failson windfall?

Did McKelvie design Carol's post Ms. Marvel look?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

But what if the movies are very buzzworthy and cool

Edit: Also, one thing that it really annoys me to read is when people who write about movies - not necessarily critics, but people who report on new releases, that kind of thing - describe a movie as "buzzy". I have no good reason for disliking this, it just pisses me off.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Then, it's NBD. (No Big Deal - a saying they use to describe an effortless nonchalance at an electronic music concert)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Then, it's NBD. (No Big Deal - a saying they use to describe an effortless nonchalance at an electronic music concert)

I even rewrote the theme song lyrics for them, but they didn't use them.

Spider-Man, Spider-Man,
Active member of Instagram!
He's so cool, can't you see?
Everything is just N.B.D.
Look oooooouuuuuut!
Here comes the Spider-Maaaaaaaaaan!

And so forth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

zoux posted:

Yep, that's his.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nice to see Maria in this movie. Hopefully that means we'll get Rambeau Pt. II.

Though I find it hard to believe someone in the Air Force would be given the call sign "Photon".

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

So, the main Skrull villain in Captain Marvel (setting aside the substantial possibility of plot twists) is a guy whose main distinguishing traits in the comics are (a) not being able to shapeshift, and (b) being a laughingstock among the Skrulls, and whose last appearance was a Howard the Duck story where he assembles a bargain-bin knockoff of the Infinity Gauntlet that includes two “Dance Gems.” That’s... odd.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 5, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Let's just say Marvel's limited access to named Skrulls because the Fox purchase isn't finalized meant they had to scrape the underside of the bottom of the barrel, regardless of the truth of the matter.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Lobok posted:

Though I find it hard to believe someone in the Air Force would be given the call sign "Photon".

I don't. I've heard of people with callsigns such as "Silent Bob" and "Meatwad"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

Carol better have the call sign Cheeseburger.

zoux posted:

When do I start worrying that it's not going to do very well and this is the one that sinks the MCU :ohdear:

From the article:

That makes sense, and there is no way this sinks MCU. There will have been a huge gap between Ant Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel, so people will be excited that it will be coming out, plus they're going to promote the poo poo out of this over the next few months. People have clearly not tired of Marvel. You'd need like a bunch of movies in a row to sink it anyways.

A lot of people are saying this might be there to plant seeds for the next major story line after Thanos is defeated, Secret Invasion. If that gets Spider-Woman on screen, i'm all for it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

howe_sam posted:

Let's just say Marvel's limited access to named Skrulls because the Fox purchase isn't finalized meant they had to scrape the underside of the bottom of the barrel, regardless of the truth of the matter.

I wonder who owned Paibok before the purchase.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I want this to mean that either:

a) Fury is constantly being wounded near his eye but never quite on it until it becomes hilariously contrived, or
b) Fury eventually loses his eye due to an infection he gets from not properly treating that minor flesh wound.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phylodox posted:

a) Fury is constantly being wounded near his eye but never quite on it until it becomes hilariously contrived, or
b) Fury eventually loses his eye due to an infection he gets from not properly treating that minor flesh wound.

The entire Earth segment will be a slapstick sequence where Nick is constantly slipping and tripping and almost losing an eye.

Like Crispin Glover in Hot Tube Time Machine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sesq posted:

I don't. I've heard of people with callsigns such as "Silent Bob" and "Meatwad"

Those I get. I'm not saying Photon isn't cool enough like Iceman or Maverick or something. It doesn't really sound like a nickname either. But whatever, just something that struck me as odd.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

That makes sense, and there is no way this sinks MCU. There will have been a huge gap between Ant Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel, so people will be excited that it will be coming out, plus they're going to promote the poo poo out of this over the next few months. People have clearly not tired of Marvel. You'd need like a bunch of movies in a row to sink it anyways.

I imagine there's likely to be a certain amount of cross-promotion with Infinity War 2, which is odds on to be the biggest movie of 2019 (only a couple of other serious contenders that occur to me) and is probably the most anticipated of all the blockbusters coming out next year. We already know (because we've been told) that Captain Marvel will have an important role in that, so I reckon the CM movie could benefit a lot just from being the thing that whets the audience appetite before Infinity War 2 a couple of months later.

pubic works project posted:

I wonder who owned Paibok before the purchase.

No joke, if future MCU villains include a team comprising Fantastic Four villains from the 90s like Occulus (POWER INCARNATE!), Devos the Devastator, Paibok (THE POWER-SKRULL!) and, I don't know, loving Hyperstorm or Aron the Renegade Watcher, I think I would be very happy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phylodox posted:

In Winter Soldier they showed that the eye isn't actually missing, just damaged. This is actually in line with original 616 Fury who took a piece of shrapnel to the eye but didn't lose it. I don't know if they ever showed what was going on with Ult Fury but IIRC they blamed it on Wolverine.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

howe_sam posted:

That's entirely possible, actually, and somehow slipped my mind.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

zoux posted:

Where's my failson windfall?

Yup, although I think the current one is an update to the McKelvie design that Kris Anka did. It’s basically the same but has some more detailed panels on the suit. The movie one looks a little more like Anka’s as a result.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's one of the better costume redesigns...well maybe ever. Must be pretty gratifying to see it up on the big screen. (Not Jamie -> Kris, Ms. Marvel to Captain Marvel I mean)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It literally just now dawned on me that people are acting like Maria's young daughter might be a big deal back in current mcu time and not like 10yo because its 2018 and the 90s werent just a few years ago

I'm getting old

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dacap posted:

Yup, although I think the current one is an update to the McKelvie design that Kris Anka did. It’s basically the same but has some more detailed panels on the suit. The movie one looks a little more like Anka’s as a result.

Yeah, the original Captain Marvel upgrade for Carol is super spandex. The newer version is more like actual clothing, though still very tight.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dacap posted:

I don't like the lop-sided look of the belt. I feel like that would bug me resting on my rear end like that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Phylodox posted:

He probably lose it from paper clip.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1036985335740289024

That character has an entire beard, the DCCU is doomed

I mean I'd dump the DCCU for The Witcher too. If they do it right it's going to make Game of Thrones money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1037476672008740864

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Captain Marvel costume looks terrible, so it's a successful adaptation of the comic book one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lurdiak posted:

The Captain Marvel costume looks terrible, so it's a successful adaptation of the comic book one.

yikes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wut

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I never liked that costume. I mean yeah at least it's not a sex pervert outfit like her old one, but I think it's bad. Like armor plates Superman bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I like the costume but I've never been a fan of the color scheme.

• Locked thread