Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

fishmech posted:

You may have tracking protection blocking it now.

That was it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Looks like Firefox 62 is out. Also, Firefox ESR 52 is EOL now so everybody is being upgraded to ESR 60, which means lots of tears as people's old XUL extensions are disappearing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can wait it out. If they don't update, I may have to get 62.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Nalin posted:

Looks like Firefox 62 is out. Also, Firefox ESR 52 is EOL now so everybody is being upgraded to ESR 60, which means lots of tears as people's old XUL extensions are disappearing.
:qq: This! This is why Firefox is failing!
:qq: I'll totally move to Palemoon this time! We don't need* you Mozilla!!!!

*ignores that Palemoons' development depends on Mozilla's development of Firefox

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Honestly, the "rip the bandaid off" change to WebExtensions for 57 is probably preferable to what's happening in Thunderbird, where it's just death by a thousand cuts as features in Gecko are removed so stuff breaks (e.g. TB 60 now requires you to do some other new thing to make options panes work since the old way got deleted). I wrote a half-dozen TB extensions and I really don't feel motivated to update them all every few months...

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Merkinman posted:

:qq: This! This is why Firefox is failing!
:qq: I'll totally move to Palemoon this time! We don't need* you Mozilla!!!!

*ignores that Palemoons' development depends on Mozilla's development of Firefox

Nah, Pale Moon has been getting increasingly divorced from the underlying Firefox engine for years now. Which means it's also gotten progressively shitter as more and more of the modern internet breaks using it due the devs steadfast commitment to not implementing modern standards because "The Man doesn't own us and also, why aren't websites and extension devs making special accommodations for our lovely 2012-time warp browser and why is Flash being sunset this is discrimination, curse you Googleeeeeee!!!"

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Having a hard cutoff for XUL is fine but ff57 and 58 were buggy, memory-leaking messes that should never have seen the light of day. They were missing table stakes features that both Chrome and Firefox had for years.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Somebody come up with a funny title and I will replace the 15 year old forums catchphrase I used.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
What do people use for mouse/rocker gestures in Quantum? I think that's just about the only thing I use regularly that hasn't been converted to WebExtensions in some shape or form.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

pokecapn posted:

What do people use for mouse/rocker gestures in Quantum? I think that's just about the only thing I use regularly that hasn't been converted to WebExtensions in some shape or form.
I use foxy gestures.
Mouse gestures on Linux are probably the only thing where Firefox is currently incontrovertibly better then chrome.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Alereon posted:

Somebody come up with a funny title and I will replace the 15 year old forums catchphrase I used.
That burning smell is a fresh update.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

pokecapn posted:

Which old extension did you use and what parts do you find most important?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

pokecapn posted:

Gesturefy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Does Firefox have a profile feature that lets each window have its own cookies and settings?

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

Does Firefox have a profile feature that lets each window have its own cookies and settings?

It does, you launch it with
code:
firefox.exe -P

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Da Mott Man posted:

It does, you launch it with
code:
firefox.exe -P

Thanks. Is there a way to see at a glance what profile a window is?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

Thanks. Is there a way to see at a glance what profile a window is?

The easiest way would be to give each profile its own theme (or a special toolbar button or something).

If you don't want different browser settings for each "profile", you could also just use container tabs, which add a special color to each tab so you know what's what.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Alereon posted:

Mozzarella Foxfire: Hold the cheese.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Alereon posted:

Mozilla Firefox: More fire and fewer cancer warnings than California

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Alereon posted:

gimme fuel gimme fire gimme browsers I desire

(I don't know)

anyway I just came here to post that the latest update lets you fill your new tab page with even more tiles if that's your thing and it's definitely my thing so I'm happy about it :thumbsup:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pikestaff posted:

anyway I just came here to post that the latest update lets you fill your new tab page with even more tiles if that's your thing and it's definitely my thing so I'm happy about it :thumbsup:

You've actually been able to do this for a while, but they added UI for it in this version. Still, making prefs like this more accessible to people who aren't turbonerds is always nice.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Avenging Dentist posted:

If you don't want different browser settings for each "profile", you could also just use container tabs, which add a special color to each tab so you know what's what.

He is specifically talking about this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/

It won't have its own browser settings, but each container will have its own web storage and cookies.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a way to transfer Super Start websites to some other add-on of its kind?
What sidebar are people using?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 6, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Firefox: Quantum Entangled with Chrome

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Looks like 63 (Dev Edition) doesn't support media.autoplay.enabled anymore and I can't seem to find any GUI options for disabling autoplay, either. Anyone have any ideas?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The browser is incredibly fast so far. I have to applaud them for making a noticeable speed boost, unless it really was from knocking out a few add-ons.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

xamphear posted:

Looks like 63 (Dev Edition) doesn't support media.autoplay.enabled anymore and I can't seem to find any GUI options for disabling autoplay, either. Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe it got renamed? I use this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disable-autoplay/ It takes the bulk of it while letting me whitelist.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/62.0/releasenotes/

quote:

Updates for enterprise environments:

AutoConfig is sandboxed to the documented API by default. You
can disable the sandbox by setting the preference
general.config.sandbox_enabled to false. Our long term plan is to
remove the ability to turn off the sandboxing. If you need to
continue to use more complex AutoConfig scripts, you will need to use
Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR).
Does anyone get what this is saying? We just started using autoconfig.js at my work to lock down some about :config settings, did it used to be able to do more and now they're saying that's all it'll do?

Also, what's the deal with this?

quote:

In advance of removing all trust for Symantec-issued certificates in Firefox 63, a preference was added that allows users to distrust certificates issued by Symantec. To use this preference, go to about :config in the address bar and set the preference "security.pki.distrust_ca_policy" to 2.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Knormal posted:

Also, what's the deal with this?

Back in like, 2016 or so, Symantec was caught issuing SSL certs for domains like google.com to people who didn't own those domains. Google didn't like that and said they were going to completely distrust all Symantec SSL certs in Chrome. Symantec then sold their CA business to DigiCert and now browsers are removing trust in the old Symantec root certs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alereon posted:

Firefox v62 and beyond - there is no Dana, only XUL.

Super late edit: 62 has finally fixed the smooth scrolling bug for me! I had to turn that off about five versions ago. Now it works. No more janky scrolling!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 6, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How does Firefox's CPU and memory usage compare to Chrome? And is there a way to quickly make a new window with a different profile like you can with Chrome's profile button?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jewel Repetition posted:

How does Firefox's CPU and memory usage compare to Chrome?

No idea. Firefox and Chrome get new releases constantly so benchmarks are usually outdated. Best to just download them both and see how your own personal use case fares.

Jewel Repetition posted:

And is there a way to quickly make a new window with a different profile like you can with Chrome's profile button?

Nope!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How do you make a new profile window whatsoever? I'm trying to run Firefox with -P but it doesn't prompt me after the first window

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i did some dinking around with Windows shortcuts a while back and got to a Chrome-like behavior where i could pin two profiles to my (Win 10) taskbar and they would open correctly and not stumble over each other, so it's possible. I don't remember how I did it though :pwn:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why does Firefox say it imported all my cookies and bookmarks from chrome but there's no bookmark bar and I'm not signed into anything?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jewel Repetition posted:

Why does Firefox say it imported all my cookies and bookmarks from chrome but there's no bookmark bar and I'm not signed into anything?

Firefox doesn't import all your cookies from Chrome and it definitely doesn't automatically enable a bookmark bar.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

fishmech posted:

Firefox doesn't import all your cookies from Chrome and it definitely doesn't automatically enable a bookmark bar.

Which cookies does it import then? Is there a way to export all of them from Chrome and import them with an addon?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jewel Repetition posted:

Right click to the left of your address bar and click "bookmark toolbar". If there's nothing there, check your bookmark manager and see if you need to move over bookmark toolbar stuff from Chrome.

As for Cookies, I've never had a browser import from anything to anything save my logged in websites? Can you just... log back in?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Right click to the left of your address bar and click "bookmark toolbar". If there's nothing there, check your bookmark manager and see if you need to move over bookmark toolbar stuff from Chrome.

As for Cookies, I've never had a browser import from anything to anything save my logged in websites? Can you just... log back in?

I'm logged into ten thousand web sites and I don't even have the passwords for some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i did some dinking around with Windows shortcuts a while back and got to a Chrome-like behavior where i could pin two profiles to my (Win 10) taskbar and they would open correctly and not stumble over each other, so it's possible. I don't remember how I did it though :pwn:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Shortcut_to_a_specific_profile

Is that the method you were thinking?