Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I could totally use some Majima spinoffs. He's so lovable and handsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Synthbuttrange posted:

Kenshiro has killed millions.

Okay gonna try forget that Yakuza exists until the next game comes to the pc.

Just buy a PS4 and stop whining already. That applies to all PC gamers, really.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't want to say it was outright bad but

that Majima story was kinda bad. Only part I really liked was seeing Makoto again.
I just really didn't like his combat and it felt like there was very little effort put into it. Mad Dog style is fun in concept but just ugh. Missing half my combos because Majima flips halfway across the screen sucks.

The Majima stuff is shoehorned into Kiwami 2 due to how much people loved playing as him in 0. It probably serves to replace the section of the original 2 that took place in the second district of Osaka that they cut out of K2. Not having played K2 yet, that’s my speculation, anyway.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Deadguy2322 posted:

Just buy a PS4 and stop whining already. That applies to all PC gamers, really.

lol bitch please, buy me a fuckin ps4 and ill happily play it, but im not dropping a few hundred bucks on a console to play like 3 or 4 games that I don't have on PC :cmon:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Look at that manager swagger!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah whoever heard of buying a console to play games you're interested in, especially more than one. just lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

man nurse posted:

Yeah whoever heard of buying a console to play games you're interested in, especially more than one. just lol

lol who is saying this is a bad thing

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there a list of Street Bosses?

Last ones I fought were
Kamurocho: Guy with God as his title.
Sotenbori: Some Gold Samurai guy

Wondering how many are left so I can get that done with

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there a list of Street Bosses?

Last ones I fought were
Kamurocho: Guy with God as his title.
Sotenbori: Some Gold Samurai guy

Wondering how many are left so I can get that done with

I think you're about done, the gold samurai was my final one, and the god guy was one of the last ones I did too.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

man nurse posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot who liked Yakuza 0 so much I dropped like 400$ on a Ps4 to play Kiwami 1 and 2 before the PC release.

To be fair though, I wanted an excuse to get a console, it's just there wasn't a game series so good that justified me getting one until now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just wish they would tell us the 3-5 remasters are definitely coming to the west! gently caress!!!!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just wish they would tell us the 3-5 remasters are definitely coming to the west! gently caress!!!!

I mean they gotta, right?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I mean, they probably are, right? They just had that survey asking people if they wanted Kenzan and Ishin localized; I'd think anything is possible at this point.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I mean they gotta, right?

I'm sure they're gonna based on the Kiwami 2 surveys and the fact that Sega said western popularity was a big reason they did the remasters, I just want a definite answer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell I own 4 and 5 through PS+ already I just don't want to dig out the PS3

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

are those 3-5 remasters in the style of Kiwami or are they upscaling for the PS4?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They haven’t announced them so we don’t know, but I’m assuming just upscales/shaders

They’re PS3 games so the graphics wouldn’t be egregious to play on a PS4 the way Yakuza 1 and 2 would have been

Edit: oh yeah forgot Y3 came out on PS4 in Japan last month and it was a simple upscale, so probably that

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 5, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Carlosologist posted:

are those 3-5 remasters in the style of Kiwami or are they upscaling for the PS4?

They're just the PS3 games at 1080p 60fps and quicker loading. Yakuza 3 will probably have all the cut for the west content restored as well (if it comes out here).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Steve Yun posted:

They’re PS3 games so the graphics wouldn’t be egregious to play on a PS4 the way Yakuza 1 and 2 would have been
Yakuza 1 is a bit rough, but 2 looks really good for a PS2 game. It would hold up quite well as a PS4 remaster with a few tweaks to the models and textures, FFXII: Zodiac Age style.

Of course, now that we have Kiwami 1 and 2 there's approximately a 0% chance of a Ryu ga Gotoku 1 & 2 HD port to the PS4 because nobody would buy it, but I would still love to see that.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I tried to go back and play Yakuza 4 on PS3 and it just ain't happening. 720p, blurry and jaggy as all get out, 30 fps. I'm jonesing for these PS4 remasters. C'mon already!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think the blurriness is by far the biggest problem with Yakuza 4. I can deal with 720p, 30 fps and the occasional aliasing (which I never thought was a huge issue with Yakuza 4), but the blur just makes the whole thing look like a mess. I think it was meant to make the visuals appear less jaggy and did a decent job on that front, but... well, just look at this:

That's the game running at its native 720p resolution using PS3 component cables. HDMI would be slightly sharper, but thanks to HDCP it's a pain in the rear end to record.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Almost done with Kiwami2, I'm in chapter 16 and I'm being told that I should prepare, so... I ended up spending the evening finishing the Cabaret Club.
All in all I liked the new batch of hotesses, althrough I really didn't care for Yua, her character is bland and uninteresting.
Aika is just the funny girl but she was cool tho, Shoko gets a nice development, Kirara (despite her really scary gameplay model, could you just blink in a while ??) was surprisingly interesting and the VA did a good job, Koyuki is cute but unfortunately not as cute as Yuki in Y0, and Kana was by far my favourite.
Kirara's subquest being a second round of Yuki's subquest in Yakuza0 was hilarious, especially Koyuki fainting at the thought of Yuki having a boyfriend, Kirara and Kiryu's spying on Yuki and Kiryu slowly lowering his head when they're found out
I may have burnt out a little on this minigame but I'll be sure to check Hokuto's version.

Onward to finish the game now, right in time for Spiderman.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zanael posted:

Almost done with Kiwami2, I'm in chapter 16 and I'm being told that I should prepare, so... I ended up spending the evening finishing the Cabaret Club.
All in all I liked the new batch of hotesses, althrough I really didn't care for Yua, her character is bland and uninteresting.
Aika is just the funny girl but she was cool tho, Shoko gets a nice development, Kirara (despite her really scary gameplay model, could you just blink in a while ??) was surprisingly interesting and the VA did a good job, Koyuki is cute but unfortunately not as cute as Yuki in Y0, and Kana was by far my favourite.
Kirara's subquest being a second round of Yuki's subquest in Yakuza0 was hilarious, especially Koyuki fainting at the thought of Yuki having a boyfriend, Kirara and Kiryu's spying on Yuki and Kiryu slowly lowering his head when they're found out
I may have burnt out a little on this minigame but I'll be sure to check Hokuto's version.

Onward to finish the game now, right in time for Spiderman.

I had to give Aika and Kirara sunglasses because their eyes weirded me out

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Aika's seen some poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

man nurse posted:

I tried to go back and play Yakuza 4 on PS3 and it just ain't happening. 720p, blurry and jaggy as all get out, 30 fps. I'm jonesing for these PS4 remasters. C'mon already!

I played em all last year and it didn't really bother me but I still play a lot of old games.

I'll buy the remasters if they come out in English though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Doc M posted:

I think the blurriness is by far the biggest problem with Yakuza 4. I can deal with 720p, 30 fps and the occasional aliasing (which I never thought was a huge issue with Yakuza 4), but the blur just makes the whole thing look like a mess. I think it was meant to make the visuals appear less jaggy and did a decent job on that front, but... well, just look at this:

That's the game running at its native 720p resolution using PS3 component cables. HDMI would be slightly sharper, but thanks to HDCP it's a pain in the rear end to record.

wait, isn't that where the takoyaki place usually is? they turned it into some ice cream dairy death dump in the future? that's some loving bullshit, man.

also love how you can recognize street locations like your own actual home town. yakuza is the best.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Every time I go by where pocket circuit used to be, I feel grief

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I get some tips, I'm getting genuinely pissed off at this Amon fight with the guns.

He just arbitrarily turns invincible halfway dead and then shoots me for a absurd amount of damage. If I hit him he doesn't flinch or anything. If I heat move I do 0 damage to him. This poo poo is loving awful and I've lost twice to it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Every time I go by where pocket circuit used to be, I feel grief

i know this feel irl whenever i pass by the pachinko parlor that used to be the huge sega arcade in shibuya

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get some tips, I'm getting genuinely pissed off at this Amon fight with the guns.

He just arbitrarily turns invincible halfway dead and then shoots me for a absurd amount of damage. If I hit him he doesn't flinch or anything. If I heat move I do 0 damage to him. This poo poo is loving awful and I've lost twice to it.

Going to assume Kiwami 2?

If he's the one I'm thinking about you use the staircase to wait out his invincibility. Honestly, the staircase completely cheeses him because he can't shoot through it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Onmi posted:

Going to assume Kiwami 2?

If he's the one I'm thinking about you use the staircase to wait out his invincibility. Honestly, the staircase completely cheeses him because he can't shoot through it.

Yeah Kiwami 2. I just got him with a magic pixel left.

I have no idea how this got approved, honestly.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

man nurse posted:

If you think 4 looks rough these days, I fired up 3 on my PS3 while thinking of going for the platinum trophy, since I left off really close to getting it, and the filtering on the screen is just like looking through gauze. The screen caps I’ve seen of the remastered version look so much better it’s insane!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Spoilers for Koyuki’s cabaret club side story

Catching a thief

Lol at the camera angles and physical acting in these scenes. They’re overacting like they’re in a silent movie. Well maybe they kinda are...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 6, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So, I don't know how to Mahjong at all but for shits and giggles I decided to play a few rounds to see if I can just slowly absorb the rhythm of it after reading the rules a few times (I didn't) yet somehow this happened.

This is what I'm referencing. The tiles are different but he did win with a Mangan in the first major arc.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I hate to tell you this, but a mangan is any hand that just happens to score a high amount of points. (specifically han, which are the numbers it's counting up at the result screen) Mangan is 4-5, haneman is 6-7, baiman is 8-10, etc.

That said, I'd love a zawa-zawa button.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 6, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tempting as it is to steal any tiles that you can, learning to resist and stealing when you need to is a big part. Stealing a tile to form a set seems like a big advantage but it locks you into that set and opens your hand. You're giving up flexibility and the bonus from having a closed hand.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Tempting as it is to steal any tiles that you can, learning to resist and stealing when you need to is a big part. Stealing a tile to form a set seems like a big advantage but it locks you into that set and opens your hand. You're giving up flexibility and the bonus from having a closed hand.

True, but 'all triples with dora 3 attached' is a pretty drat good time to play fast so long as you started with a lot of pairs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Whenever people start talking about Mahjong I feel like I'm trapped in a hellish fever dream

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This raises a very good point, which is goddammit where is Yakuza Kiwami on PC? It's been almost 12 hours since I finished Yakuza 0 and I can't hold out much longer :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It has a Steam page so maybe in 2018.