Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

almost certain this tweet wasn't about making bathtub epinephrine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Azerban posted:

Is that like a bathtub mint julep?

xtal fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 5, 2018

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

xtal posted:

Maybe you should try and make it less rickety? Or have fun with your wait times and insurance and pharma-corps loving you over I guess.

The rickety foundations of an anarchic society are not something you can simply ‘fix’ it’s a systemic problem that is a manifestation of the way that type of society would function.

You might as well try and fix the inherent contradictions of capitalism.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I see you too have discovered the joys of earnestly engaging xtal.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

infernal machines posted:

I see you too have discovered the joys of earnestly engaging xtal.

Oh you two are two different people?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

xtal posted:

I should also point out that the most common critique of anarchism is "what if someone objectionable tries to capture the power vacuum?" Meanwhile we are living under Ford, Tory and Trump. Democracy isn't so great at that either.

Please stop editing out these candid examples of how dumb you are.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Toalpaz posted:

Most of the time, yes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Toalpaz posted:

:lol:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Azerban posted:

yeah. I get the feeling xtal is real privileged to not need anything beyond maybe an annual checkup or they wouldn't be pretending anarchist communes can medicines good

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I have no current medical conditions needing attention. I can't see the merits of universal healthcare.

Or school.

Or roads.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Also how dare doctors pretend to have medical authority I know how best to treat my diabetes with bloodletting

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

Please stop editing out these candid examples of how dumb you are.

I didn't remove it because it was wrong, thanks for the qft

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

yeah. I get the feeling xtal is real privileged to not need anything beyond maybe an annual checkup or they wouldn't be pretending anarchist communes can medicines good

I'm also guessing he has never seen what happens when somebody in a small and insular community sexually assaults or harasses other people and the only mechanism for dealing with any disputes relies on "consensus".

That having been said, since no political ideology has yet made us immortal post scarcity demigods I can only conclude all political systems are equally bad.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Also how dare doctors pretend to have medical authority I know how best to treat my diabetes with bloodletting

No, my communal partner says you need to take one grain of sugar diluted in 100L of water. Anarchism only works if you contribute and listen to the community, man.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The thought of Bernier splitting some of the right vote is Vince.gif

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I remember during the first Alberta election that the Wild Rose participated in, plenty of the usually more progressive voting friends of mine said they were too terrified of a possible Wild Rose government, and therefore voted for the Alberta Conservative Party instead of the NDP/Liberals/whoever they would usually vote for.

Two elections later and our province is about to be steamrollered by a bunch of fuckers way more regressive than Prentice or Redford ever were. Helsing is right to be worried. FPTP can be way too easily gamed with a little long-term planning.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Square Peg posted:

I remember during the first Alberta election that the Wild Rose participated in, plenty of the usually more progressive voting friends of mine said they were too terrified of a possible Wild Rose government, and therefore voted for the Alberta Conservative Party instead of the NDP/Liberals/whoever they would usually vote for.

Two elections later and our province is about to be steamrollered by a bunch of fuckers way more regressive than Prentice or Redford ever were. Helsing is right to be worried. FPTP can be way too easily gamed with a little long-term planning.

If only Canadians could reach a consensus on electoral reform through a cryptic facebook quiz.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Helsing posted:

Private hierarchy and authority long predates the modern state and continue to exist in situations where the state collapses. The idea that removing laws magically removes the basis for inequality doesn't become any less dumb when the person advocating for it calls themselves an anarchist instead of a libertarian.

I'm not an anarchist, but this strikes me as an unfair dismissal of both anarchist thought and anarchist groups as they existed in the real world. For the first, there's a lot that you're missing if you're just going to dismiss the works of Proudhon or Bakunin, and for the latter there have been plenty of communities and tribes that could be arguably described as anarchist. The biggest I'm familiar with is the Nuer tribe of Ethiopia, who had no formal positions of leadership, no laws beyond what the community decided upon on a case-by-case basis, and were about 100,000 strong at their height during the age of colonization, so this sort of system can scale surprisingly well in the right circumstances.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Square Peg posted:

This is true, but it also gave us easily the best government we've had in half a century, and finally destroyed the Alberta Liberal Party. The potential for good things is there.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Falstaff posted:

I'm not an anarchist, but this strikes me as an unfair dismissal of both anarchist thought and anarchist groups as they existed in the real world. For the first, there's a lot that you're missing if you're just going to dismiss the works of Proudhon or Bakunin, and for the latter there have been plenty of communities and tribes that could be arguably described as anarchist. The biggest I'm familiar with is the Nuer tribe of Ethiopia, who had no formal positions of leadership, no laws beyond what the community decided upon on a case-by-case basis, and were about 100,000 strong at their height during the age of colonization, so this sort of system can scale surprisingly well in the right circumstances.

What was the relationship between father and children or husband and wife under the Nuer? Between a religious official (or equivalent) and a lay person? Because the idea that a society organized primarily around cattle herding and run by groups of elders was non-hierarchical seems like a pretty dubious claim, before we even get into the questions of whether such a system is even vaguely applicable to an industrial society.

Anyway I did some quick googling about Nuer strategies of conflict resolution and found the following contemporary account taken (via google books) from "Discussing Conflict in Ethiopia" (p. 37-39). If you think this is a flawed or unreliable account then let me know since I'm just going by what can easily be found on google:

This doesn't sound very horizontal. Everyone's position is based on birth, age and gender, conflicts are entirely conceived of as a group vs. group affair, the entire system revolves around the ownership and exchange of property and women are very blatantly cast as inferior to men.

Also, weirdly enough, when the state collapsed these people didn't spontaneously solve all their problems by relying on their local anarchistic conflict resolution methods. They just started massacring each other:

And to be clear I'm not questioning that a non-state society can function. It obviously can because most societies throughout human history haven't had a state in the way we would think of one today. By that standard feudalism is anarchy and a monarch is just the eldest decision maker of a commune that has taken steps to makes things "less rickety" as xtal put it.

When you think you're a leftist but you're advocating the same system as Hans-Herman Hoppe maybe you should start asking how you ended up where you are.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

xtal posted:

Maybe you should try and make it less rickety? Or have fun with your wait times and insurance and pharma-corps loving you over I guess.

Have fun with our amazing world that democracy and capitalism make better every single day fuckin a.

Oh no there's a wait time if you need an entirely new hip for free, better abolish government. And your stupid centrism quote sucks, things are getting better at a decent rate. Unless you have a good plan to increase that rate being driven by the 10 billion horsepower engine of capitalism which you don't so go loving smoke weed in your community garden goddamn ungrateful anarchist parasite good thing we live in such a great society that we can easily tolerates a percentage of people who actively contribute nothing

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Square Peg posted:

what makes you think a Jim Prentice government would not have eventually fallen to the same gobshite insurgency

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Helsing posted:

*snip*
And to be clear I'm not questioning that a non-state society can function. It obviously can because most societies throughout human history haven't had a state in the way we would think of one today. By that standard feudalism is anarchy and a monarch is just the eldest decision maker of a commune that has taken steps to makes things "less rickety" as xtal put it.

When you think you're a leftist but you're advocating the same system as Hans-Herman Hoppe maybe you should start asking how you ended up where you are.

Yeah, I'm not advocating anything; like I said, I'm not an anarchist and I don't subscribe to anarchist thought. I'm saying you're painting with way too broad a brush in your effort to (deservedly, imo) dunk on xtal.

What you posted is, as best I can tell, perfectly accurate, but it misses a lot of nuance of the history of the tribe. I'll admit, I'm going off 10+-year-old memories of an anthropology course so a lot of the details are lost to fuzzy memory, but during first contact with Europeans the Nuer elders weren't considered leaders as we think of them, they were just considered the wisest people around - tribesmembers could (and often did) ignore their advice. In fact, that the Nuer didn't have any traditional leaders made colonization very difficult for the British, since this frustrated the usual strategies the British would employ.

Obviously, the Nuer of today are not the Nuer of the 19th or 18th centuries - no culture survives colonization unscathed, not even the colonizers. And likewise, the Nuer weren't exactly an idyllic culture - they raided their neighbours with impunity, and no their women weren't exactly given the same kind of autonomy that the men of the tribe enjoyed, to put it lightly. But they also didn't have any kind of singular authority or ruling caste, and even what (kinda-sorta) authorities they did have didn't get to go around telling people what to do (elders who tried to do that tended to cease being considered elders in their communities.) They're just one example among many of cultures that defied a lot of what westerners considered (and consider) to be natural outcomes of inherent human nature.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Have fun with our amazing world that democracy and capitalism make better every single day fuckin a.

Oh no there's a wait time if you need an entirely new hip for free, better abolish government. And your stupid centrism quote sucks, things are getting better at a decent rate. Unless you have a good plan to increase that rate being driven by the 10 billion horsepower engine of capitalism which you don't so go loving smoke weed in your community garden goddamn ungrateful anarchist parasite good thing we live in such a great society that we can easily tolerates a percentage of people who actively contribute nothing

capitalism is poo poo dude

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Falstaff posted:

Yeah, I'm not advocating anything; like I said, I'm not an anarchist and I don't subscribe to anarchist thought. I'm saying you're painting with way too broad a brush in your effort to (deservedly, imo) dunk on xtal.

What you posted is, as best I can tell, perfectly accurate, but it misses a lot of nuance of the history of the tribe. I'll admit, I'm going off 10+-year-old memories of an anthropology course so a lot of the details are lost to fuzzy memory, but during first contact with Europeans the Nuer elders weren't considered leaders as we think of them, they were just considered the wisest people around - tribesmembers could (and often did) ignore their advice. In fact, that the Nuer didn't have any traditional leaders made colonization very difficult for the British, since this frustrated the usual strategies the British would employ.

Obviously, the Nuer of today are not the Nuer of the 19th or 18th centuries - no culture survives colonization unscathed, not even the colonizers. And likewise, the Nuer weren't exactly an idyllic culture - they raided their neighbours with impunity, and no their women weren't exactly given the same kind of autonomy that the men of the tribe enjoyed, to put it lightly. But they also didn't have any kind of singular authority or ruling caste, and even what (kinda-sorta) authorities they did have didn't get to go around telling people what to do (elders who tried to do that tended to cease being considered elders in their communities.) They're just one example among many of cultures that defied a lot of what westerners considered (and consider) to be natural outcomes of inherent human nature.

This discussion made me very curious so I went and found a fairly recent journal article on interpretations of Nuer history and anthropology, and it critiques a lot of these ideas as rooted in British ideas of power that couldn't cope with the idea that a society might be hierarchically organized around a different conception of power.

Quotes are from Susan McKinnon, "Domestic Exceptions: Evans-Pritchard and the Creation of Nuer Patrilineality and Equality," Cultural Anthropology 15, no. 1 (2000): 35-83. https://www.jstor.org/stable/656640 if you have JSTOR access.

p. 42 posted:

Ultimately, Evans-Pritchard and Fortes have excluded from the comparative study of political systems all that they have relegated to the substructural "domestic" domain-including bilateral kinship, affinal relations, and the "internal" differences in status between persons, individuals, and categories-and all that they have relegated to a superstructural domain of religion, ritual, and myth-including religious ideas of power and religious-based distinctions in status. It is this set of exclusions, I will argue, that makes it possible for Evans-Pritchard to represent the Nuer as patrilineal and egalitarian at the same time that he so meticulously documents all the "matter that did not fit"-matter that, in the end, would have told a very different story of Nuer political life.

p. 48 posted:

Although members of dominant lineages may be linked to one another by egalitarian relations of buth, members of dominant and attached lineages are linked to one another by relations of hierarchy. Members of the dominant lineage of a clan are considered "aristocrats" (dil, plural diel).14 They are the "owners" of the land, by right of prior occupation:

If you are a dil of the tribe in which you live you are more than a simple tribesman. You are one of the owners of the country, its village sites, its pastures, its fishing pools and wells. Other people live there in virtue of marriage into your clan, adoption into your lineage, or of some other social tie. You are a leader of the tribe and the spear-name of your clan is invoked when the tribe goes to war. Wherever there is a dil in a village, the village clusters around him as a herd of cattle clusters around its bull. [Evans-Pritchard 1940a:215]

p. 49 posted:

Evans-Pritchard discounts the political significance of the hierarchical differentiation between dominant and attached lineages, aristocrats and strangers/Dinka, because this differentiation is constructed along affinal and matrilateral lines, which, for Evans-Pritchard, belong not to the political domain but, rather, to the domestic domain. In this way, even though Evans-Pritchard is clear that the agnatic structure of the tribal system at the lowest level of the system, the village community, is complicated by hierarchical relations of affinity, matrilaterality, and adoption, he discounts the political import of the nonagnatic, hierarchical relations at this level.

p. 53 posted:

However, there is a more serious issue here. That is, because Evans-Pritchard has defined the political domain as distinct from the religious domain (which includes hierarchies of ritual power) and the domestic domain (which includes hierarchies of affinal and matrilateral relations), he is able to exclude almost all mention of hierarchical relations from his depiction of the political life of the Nuer.

pp. 53-54 posted:

Over and over again, throughout The Nuer (but especially in chapter 5), Evans-Pritchard makes the same series of exceptions:

only in reference to rules of exogamy, certain ritual activities, and to a very limited extent to responsibility for homicide [1940a:203]
outside a ceremonial context [1940a:203, 210, 211, 227]
outside ritual situations [1940a:227]
apart from questions of ritual and exogamy [1940a:230, 221]

Indeed, apart from all these contexts, it is true that nonaristocrats are not differentiated from aristocrats. However, after all the exceptions, the only contexts that remain are "ordinary social life" (see Evans-Pritchard 1940a:204, 227, 228, 235) and the political context of warfare.

pp. 65-67 posted:

The Power of the Political
Evans-Pritchard's inability to integrate the hierarchical dimensions of Nuer life into his analysis of Nuer politics resulted not only from his distinction between the political and the domestic but also from his distinction between the political and the religious-which entailed a distinction between "real" political power to coerce and religious power to influence. For Evans-Pritchard, politics has to do with power, and power has a specific definition. It does not involve ritual power or any other kind of power except the " 'external' or 'public' sanctions that may ultimately entail force" (Yanagisako 1987:113):

In a strict sense Nuer have no law. There are conventional compensations for damage, adultery, loss of limb, and so forth, but there is no authority with power to adjudicate on such matters or to enforce a verdict. In Nuerland legislative, judicial, and executive functions are not invested in any persons or councils. [Evans-Pritchard 1940a: 162, emphasis added]

Even in his discussion of the leopard-skin chief, Evans-Pritchard is at pains to make a distinction between the power to persuade and influence, on the one hand, and the authority that has the power to enforce (cf. Free 1988:110):

It was clear from the way in which my informants described the whole procedure that the chief gave his final decision as an opinion couched in persuasive language and not as a judgement delivered with authority. Moreover, whilst the sacredness of the chief and the influence of the elders carry weight, the verdict is only accepted because both parties agree to it. ...
No one can compel either party to accept a decision. [Evans-Pritchard 1940a: 163-164, emphasis added]

Evans-Pritchard recognizes that the leopard-skin chief "has a sacred association with the earth (mun) which gives him certain ritual powers in relation to it, including the power to bless or curse" (1940a: 172). But he is careful to distinguish this kind of ritual power from any "real" political force, and he goes to some effort to discount the power of the chief s curse as a kind of showman's trick:

We conclude, therefore, that a chief's curse is not in itself the real sanction of settlement, but is a conventional, ritual, operation in the settlement of feuds, which is known to everyone in advance and is allowed for in their calculation.... These affairs are like a game in which everybody knows the rules and the stages of development: when one is expected to give way, when to be firm, when to yield at the last moment and so forth.... It may ... be said with certainty that no amount of pressure from a leopard-skin chief, if it is ever exerted, can settle feuds expeditiously, if at all, between the larger tribal sections. [1940a:175-176, emphasis added]

Indeed, Evans-Pritchard refers to the leopard-skin chief "as a chief, with the caution that we do not thereby imply that he has any secular authority, for we hold that his public acts are mainly ritual" (1940a:173). Here, he clearly distinguishes the sacred and the secular, the ritual and the political, the "conventional" and the "real." This makes it difficult for him to describe the leopard-skin chief's position:

Nevertheless, his function is political, for relations between political groups are regulated through him, though he is not a political authority controlling them. . . .
On the whole we may say that Nuer chiefs are sacred persons, but that their sacredness gives them no general authority outside specific social situations. [1940a: 173]

For Evans-Pritchard, it is not a possibility (or at least it is a paradox) for a political order to be founded on anything other than the authority and power to force compliance with laws. To the extent that this definition of politics as power to use force does not apply to the Nuer, the Nuer have no "law," and the leopard-skin chief (or anyone else, for that matter) has no "real" (i.e., political) power-although he may have prestige and influence based on ritual power.18 The possibility that a political order might be founded on a different notion of power, especially a religious notion of power, is not seriously considered by Evans-Pritchard.

The same criteria that hold for the leopard-skin chiefs hold for the aristocrats, whom Evans-Pritchard describes in the following manner:

Those elders with most influence are the gaat twot, the children of bulls. Such a man is called a tut, bull, and in strict usage this is equivalent to dil, tribal aristocrat. [A] dil is a member of the dominant clan in each tribe and, in virtue of his membership, has within that tribe a slightly superior social position. This clan is not a ruling class and the enhanced prestige of its members is very indefinite. The clan system has no hereditary leadership; a senior lineage does not rank higher than others; there is no "father of the clan"; and there is no "council of clan elders." [1940a: 179]

It is significant, here, that the one thing that Evans-Pritchard does not mention is what gives the dominant thok dwiel its superior position-that is, its distinct ritual status and power, which are not shared by the stranger Nuer and Dinka who are attached to the dominant thok dwiel through female links. Moreover, as with the leopard-skin chief, because their status is defined in terms of ritual powers-not the power to force compliance with laws-these powers are not seen by Evans-Pritchard as relevant to the political order: the aristocrats are seen to have "prestige rather than rank and influence rather than power" (1940a:215).'9 Consequently, they are deemed to have no political power whatsoever; and the hierarchical order of Nuer society is deemed to have no political consequences.

Evans-Pritchard's own cultural distinctions-between political and domestic, between group rank and individual prestige, between political and religious, and between "real" political power and merely conventional ritual power-have sheared apart the cultural logic that gives value to Nuer distinctions. And in the process, I would suggest, he has disassembled the logic of a specifically Nuer political order.

She then lays out a complex picture of a Nuer political system based on a two-tier social structure where one of the tiers are referred to as "aristocrats" and the most important things to determine your social status are your family's ancestral power and the amount of cattle you own:

p. 69 posted:

Gough outlines a kind of two-tiered system. On the one hand, the aristocrats (the "bulls") have rights over land and own considerably more cattle, which makes it possible to establish permanent "legal" marriages, achieve the patrilateral affiliation and patrilocal residence of children, and, thereby, establish deep and extended agnatic continuity over time. By contrast, stranger Nuer and Dinka have no rights over the land on which they reside and own considerably fewer cattle, which makes it more difficult to establish permanent "legal" marriages and the patrilateral affiliation and patrilocal residence of children. They are more likely to engage in one or another form of impermanent union, attach themselves through affinal or matrilateral links to other thok dwiel, and see their children affiliate to other men's thok dwiel. To the extent that they are able to establish agnatic continuity, the time depths of their thok dwiel tend to be shallower (about three generations deep) than those of the aristocrats (Gough 1971:94, 11).

p. 70 posted:

The two-tier hierarchy of Nuer society is realized not only through the differential forms of marriage, affiliation, and residence but also, and as a consequence, through the differential relation to ritual power. That is, to the extent that men affiliate patrilaterally and are able to maintain agnatic continuity within a particular territory over many generations, they remain connected to their ancestors and the land of their ancestors, of which they are the "owners"-both ritually and otherwise. To the extent, however, that men are unable to secure agnatic continuity over many generations and end up dispersed among the territories of which other groups are the "owners" and aristocrats, they lose the ritual power entailed by continuous connection to agnatic ancestors and to the land of their ancestors. The differential access to ritual power is significant because it is one of the key markers of hierarchy for the Nuer themselves.

p. 72 posted:

Because brothers married in order of seniority (Evans-Pritchard 1951:141), both younger brothers and, especially, younger half brothers had to wait until their elder brothers all married, at which point their father's herd might be exhausted, leaving few cattle for their own marriages. The potential for conflict increased when the father died, leaving control over the herds in the hands of either an elder brother or a paternal uncle

pp. 73-74 posted:

What, then, is the political significance of these affinal and matrilateral relations? Holy argues that they operate to give shape to political relations not simply at the lowest level of the local community (which both Evans-Pritchard and Holy describe as the "interpersonal" level) but also at the higher levels of larger tribal segments (1979a:34-41).25 However, they are not simply part of the static structure of political relations; the dynamic tension between patrilateral and affinal/matrilateral relations is precisely what drives Nuer political life. Moreover, the impetus to expand and to raid the Dinka for cattle is fueled by this process of establishing new bulls as nuclei of new communities. Gough notes that the "society was thus one in which leadership of local communities, sections, and tribes derived partly from hereditary advantages and partly from personal ambition and talents; and in which the raiding of other peoples provided avenues to upward mobility" (1971:118; see also Free 1988; Kelly 1985). Nuer expansion was driven, in part, by this dual movement that pushed brothers apart and pulled together those related matrilaterally and affinally.

If everyone was able to make permanent "legal" marriages and secure the patrilateral affiliation and patrilocal residence of children, the Nuer social order would look pretty much like the bare-bones model of an egalitarian segmentary patrilineal system that Evans-Pritchard envisions in The Nuer. However, the Nuer have conceived a far more complex range of possible marriage, affiliation, and residential alternatives. And it is the differential articulation of these various alternatives that defines the parameters of equality and hierarchy in Nuer society. Indeed, the dynamics of Nuer politics, its expansion, and the formation of new communities around new "bulls" depend on the double fact that some men are able to marry with full bridewealth, affiliate patrilaterally, and live patrilocally whereas others must make lesser marriages, affiliate matrilaterally, and reside either matrilocally or xorilocally (see Gough 1971:118).

I think that last quote is particularly important because the author is arguing that the particular familial structures that seemed so strange to the British were part of the motivations for the Nuer to raid and invade their neighbours, not something tangential or unrelated. Because if you weren't able to accumulate the wealth that made you part of the higher tier of society, you weren't able to enforce your patriarchal power over your family unit. And to be frank I don't think a society composed of patriarchal family units based on hereditary status and wealth inequality is what most anarchists have in mind when they talk about some idealized anarchist society.

I want to be clear, this is far from my area of expertise, but the impression I got from reading this article was that Nuer society was actually pretty far from an egalitarian or anarchist model as we would think of it today. It seems the British were unable to understand the hierarchies and structures of Nuer society because it was based on familial, ritual, and religious power rather than codified laws and their enforcement with violence, but the end result wasn't an anarchist society, it was one still organized around unequal and hierarchical structures of clan, family, gender, and wealth. And, further, it appears this was a society where those structures may have encouraged violent conflicts with others based on the motivations of securing family and economic power within patriarchal Nuer social hierarchies.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 6, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

A Typical Goon posted:

Anarcho-communism is probably like the one ideology that is dumber than anarcho -capitalism, and that’s quite a hurdle

Syndicalists are alright.

At this point I'm fine with being called a tankie because I like the state because the alternative is that

Furnaceface posted:

Hey now, Jacques and Sophie did their part. :colbert:

The fact I can still remember that stuff 25 years later terrifies me a bit.

e:

Sorta surprised there's no téléfrançais vaporwave by nostalgic by-wait here we go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0nJax1V9bs

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 6, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

A Typical Goon posted:

capitalism is poo poo dude

time to check your temporal privilege

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Helsing posted:

So excited for a racist xenophobic party that might actually attract media attention and prominent support! Based on my meticulous record of watching every West Wing episode ever and my solemn commitment to never learn anything from 2016 I have determined that this can mean only good things for the country.

Like, for fucks sake, even if this does help Trudeau win the next election don't any of you people realize politics occurs on a longer time scale than four years? If I had to choose I would rather Scheer run the country than have a genuine hard right party emerge at exactly the moment in history when hard right parties are rapidly gaining support.

so did you like the reform party joining with the PCs or what

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

still waiting to hear how a Jim Prentice (pbuh) PC government would have staved off a far-right insurgency from Wildrose etc

for the purposes of the hypothetical you get to assume Jim doesn't die a year into his term, (or maybe assume he does die, for funsies) but everything else stays the same

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 6, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JawKnee posted:

so did you like the reform party joining with the PCs or what

The Reform party was a parasite that took over its host. They just wanted the name since having that made them much more electable outside Alberta. And Barrie. Because of course Barrie.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

THC posted:

still waiting to hear how a Jim Prentice (pbuh) PC government would have staved off a far-right insurgency from Wildrose etc

for the purposes of the hypothetical you get to assume Jim doesn't die a year into his term, (or maybe assume he does die, for funsies) but everything else stays the same

The die was cast as soon as the wildrose became a strong party. As others have said, it is nice to get some NDPipeline government as a byproduct of the right wing split. But the UCP are now quite a bit more right than the former PCs and are the odds on favourite for government.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

are they really that much further to the right though? these elements were a powerful faction of the PC party, before they became the Wildrose party, before finally becoming a powerful faction of the UCP party. Jim Prentice PC government gets wiped out in 2019 after failing to conjure a dozen pipelines into existence, or it's a minority and they get dissolved and wiped out even sooner. Or Prentice still dies after a year because the time gods demand a sacrifice, and the reeling party either merges with WR to save its rear end, or it selects another damp rag of a leader, and gets wiped out in 2019.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 6, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

are they really that much further to the right though? these elements were a powerful faction of the PC party, before they became the Wildrose party, before finally becoming a powerful faction of the UCP party

The Wildrose party was slightly less insane before Danielle Smith and her contingent crossed the floor leaving only the least sane people behind. Prentice said some things that needed to be said and he paid dearly for it, because Albertans and reality are not good friends, the reasonable faction of the APCs went straight down with him, and it allowed for the right wing in Alberta to be represented by the lunatics.

Beyond that, Prentice inherited a party on the ropes because "Special Ed" Stelmach was just about the dumbest fucker to ever grace Canadian politics -- an Albertan conservative who managed to piss off the oil industry, I presume because his constituency was mainly people who gently caress livestock and drink more vodka than water -- creating the environment for a schism in the first place.

God only knows for whom Notley is insufficiently right-wing, apart from the aforementioned sheepfuckers. I was skeptical at first but she has run a goddamn good government in the face of constant opposition from all sides.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

vyelkin posted:

This discussion made me very curious so I went and found a fairly recent journal article on interpretations of Nuer history and anthropology, and it critiques a lot of these ideas as rooted in British ideas of power that couldn't cope with the idea that a society might be hierarchically organized around a different conception of power.

Quotes are from Susan McKinnon, "Domestic Exceptions: Evans-Pritchard and the Creation of Nuer Patrilineality and Equality," Cultural Anthropology 15, no. 1 (2000): 35-83. https://www.jstor.org/stable/656640 if you have JSTOR access.

This is really interesting, thank you; if this represents current scholarship on early modern Nuer history, then obviously my understanding of the tribe is just plain wrong.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

This is the best Helsing post in this thread

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Jagmeet Singh facing calls from many to reinstate Weir

So, yeah, NDP is eating itself now. Well, this is just gonna be a poo poo sandwich election ain't it?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, yeah, NDP is eating itself now. Well, this is just gonna be a poo poo sandwich election ain't it?

The party was never going anywhere without purging the vast majority of the old guard, who are still clinging on to power and dictating their direction.

It still terrifies me a bit that this will just help out Scheere somehow though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
An emboldened ethnonationalist right and a distingrating left, yeah Helsing is spot on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

quote:

the investigation, which found one claim of harassment and three claims of sexual harassment against Weir were sustained — all of which were deemed to be "on the less serious end of the spectrum," involving the MP standing too close or failing to read non-verbal cues in social settings.

The gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if the NDP won't stand up for its sex pests, who will?!