Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It needed surface work as cover but if you want a cool story about secret large scale underground construction, read about the now decommissioned government apocalypse bunker at the Greenbrier hotel in West Virginia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Durzel posted:

I'm not entirely sure where the Gus and MIke show can really go now, besides continuing to establish things that we know about from BB (i.e. superlab).

Gus is already running Los Pollos, Mike is working with him, Hector has had his stroke and will be in a wheelchair shortly, Tyrus and Victor have been introduced, etc. Their arc is to all intents and purposes overlapping the beginning of Breaking Bad already, being that the finished superlab was introduced in season 3 of that show.

That being said, I'm sure there will be some interesting and entertaining things to come.

Lalo and Nacho aren't around in BB. I'm thinking Gus and/or Mike had something to do with that.

Oh man, what if Lalo is another criminal lawyer?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 5, 2018

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I imagine by introducing the Breaking Bad scenes, they are working their way to the end of the series. Saul doesn’t get huge ratings but somehow got renewed before the season started. I figure this is because next season is the last and they pitched their course to the finale.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Supercar Gautier posted:

I would think if it were just sentimental tokens, he wouldn't have sealed it behind a wall. He wasn't even that careful with his hoards of drug money.

No doubt there are more secrets in that box, but it seems to me that his "greatest hits" tape is his prized possession. I think he feels the need to protect it more than anything, not just because he is deathly afraid of being found out, but because he loved that time in his life and wants to hold on to it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Lalo and Nacho aren't around in BB. I'm thinking Gus and/or Mike had something to do with that.

Oh man, what if Lalo is another criminal lawyer?

Competing criminal lawyers? I like it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

That actor really sold the hell out of being carsick, grouchy, shady, and competent. I also love how there's a place in Gus' cartel for people who aren't icy badasses. If you're good at what you do you can work for Fring even if your a goof like Gale or a pukey German engineer.

Or a total loving psychopath like Walt.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cojawfee posted:

Unfortunately, Mike goes for the ultimate PI trick. He gets killed by his adversary.

Holy poo poo, has it really been 6 years?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVsUILlPG3c

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I wonder if that german guy was specifically sourced from Madrigal or was just a random engineer willing to do shady work that they scouted out

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just hope he isn't killed. It's such a trope going back to like classical history to hire the best dude to make your secret lab, super-castle, secret dungeon and then kill them and the workers so the secret never gets out.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Baronjutter posted:

I just hope he isn't killed. It's such a trope going back to like classical history to hire the best dude to make your secret lab, super-castle, secret dungeon and then kill them and the workers so the secret never gets out.

‘For the love of God, Mr. Fring!’
‘Yes, for the love of God.’
*starts industrial dryer*

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did we ever find out, explicitly, what Gus did with the bus-load of cleaning ladies that Walt brought into the super lab? That was such a loving selfish thing to do by Walt, he could have been condemning them all to death. Gus claims he had to bus them all away and they could never work in the state again... but I always felt it was a bit ambiguous if that was all a euphemism for them all having to be "disappeared"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think that is Gus' usual MO. He seems to legitimately appreciate good help.

The only exception I can think of is Victor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Baronjutter posted:

Did we ever find out, explicitly, what Gus did with the bus-load of cleaning ladies that Walt brought into the super lab? That was such a loving selfish thing to do by Walt, he could have been condemning them all to death. Gus claims he had to bus them all away and they could never work in the state again... but I always felt it was a bit ambiguous if that was all a euphemism for them all having to be "disappeared"

I think he deported them, but we never got a follow-up, no.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd say just deport them, killing them probably creates more questions/attention than just shipping off some Mexicans back to Mexico.

I totally forgot about that, goddamn what a dumb and rear end in a top hat move that was. I mean, Gus was going to plot to kill Walt or Jesse one way or another and probably turn the other to just cook for him, but drat Walt just kept needling him and making that seem more and more like the right call.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I'm not defending all of Walt's actions, but people seem to forget that the incident that put Walt on Gus's death list was Walt protecting Jesse from being murdered by Gus and Mike. So it's a bit weird to hear Mike in his last episode going off on Walt about how he should have just kept his head down when they were working with Gus and everything would have been fine. Yeah, and your new surrogate son Jesse would have been dead by your hand, Mike.

The Human Crouton posted:

I don't think that is Gus' usual MO. He seems to legitimately appreciate good help.

People also forget that Gus is a loving psychopath as well. Sure, Victor hosed up by showing his face at the scene of a murder connected to Gus, but other than that he was a totally loyal and competent employee second only to probably Mike. Seems to me the non-psychopath criminal thing to do would have been to give him a hush money payout in recognition of his years of service and then pack him off to Mexico or something and warn him never to come back. But Gus is a psycho, and I think even Mike realizes it after that even though he decides not rocking the boat is the best option.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 5, 2018

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

The Human Crouton posted:

The catch is that Victor made two or three massive mistakes in a short time frame: getting spotted by witnesses at Gale's, breaking boundaries by cooking without asking Gus' permission, and carjacking Jesse outside Gale's in public like that with all that heat around makes 3 if it counts. And he did it when Gus was also super-uber-pissed, AND (let's face it, Walt's plan worked, so that means: ) he got out-maneuvered by his own employee who he didn't even want to hire in the first place. Extra salt in that Gus wouldn't have hired Walt anyway if Gale hadn't convinced him to do it.

I think Walt used the Icarus metaphor because subconsciously he knew it applied far more to himself than to Victor. Also being Walt, he's always gotta prove his education to Jesse.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cnut the Great posted:

it's a bit weird to hear Mike in his last episode going off on Walt about how he should have just kept his head down

Walt brought in Jesse, and wasn't Jesse on his poo poo list for a revenge killing?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Agent Escalus posted:

The catch is that Victor made two or three massive mistakes in a short time frame: getting spotted by witnesses at Gale's, breaking boundaries by cooking without asking Gus' permission, and carjacking Jesse outside Gale's in public like that with all that heat around makes 3 if it counts. And he did it when Gus was also super-uber-pissed, AND (let's face it, Walt's plan worked, so that means: ) he got out-maneuvered by his own employee who he didn't even want to hire in the first place. Extra salt in that Gus wouldn't have hired Walt anyway if Gale hadn't convinced him to do it.

I think Walt used the Icarus metaphor because subconsciously he knew it applied far more to himself than to Victor. Also being Walt, he's always gotta prove his education to Jesse.

I don't think using a basic "flying too close to the sun" metaphor was in any way him trying to "prove his education to Jesse."

I don't get why, with all the countless reasons legitimately painting Walt as a monster, people have to go to these great lengths to indulge their hate boner for a fictional character by painting literally everything he does as evidence of some villainous quality. The Walter White character is an anti-hero who becomes an anti-villain. He isn't competently lacking in redeeming characteristics. The show is better and more complex than that.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm not defending all of Walt's actions, but people seem to forget that the incident that put Walt on Gus's death list was Walt protecting Jesse from being murdered by Gus and Mike. So it's a bit weird to hear Mike in his last episode going off on Walt about how he should have just kept his head down when they were working with Gus and everything would have been fine. Yeah, and your new surrogate son Jesse would have been dead by your hand, Mike.

It's not like it's impossible that Mike's being deliberately disingenuous because he's sick of Walt's poo poo, bending the facts a little bit to shine the harshest possible light on Walt's lovely choices.

After all, lying to someone to gently caress with their head is the oldest cop trick there is!

That said, Mike's more right than he is wrong in that conversation. It's not clear for certain whether or not they had completely decided to kill Jesse and/or Walt UNTIL Walt started loving with them and giving them no choice.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I don't get all of the hand wringing about how evil Walt is but then people act like Mike is just a friendly grandpa. He was a thuggish murderer who had absolutely no moral high ground over Walt. He probably had less since Walt did at least a few non selfish things during the series.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Gus and Mike would not have had a reason to kill Walt if Walt had just had some humility and shut up and done his job. Mike is 100% right in that conversation IMO.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Walt brought in Jesse, and wasn't Jesse on his poo poo list for a revenge killing?

It makes no sense for Mike to condemn Walt for bringing in Jesse because, as I said, Jesse has become like a son to Mike at this point. The intent of that monologue was clearly to condemn Walt for allowing his ambition to destroy a comfortable though subordinate situation. And sure, ambition is a part of why he killed Gus, but Walt was also fairly justifiably in fear for his life and the life of his family, as a result of actions he took to protect Jesse from Gus.

Unless they were going for some amount of irony, I think the writers simply fell in love with the Mike character just as much as the viewers and forgot exactly how and why those prior events played out.

hailthefish posted:

It's not like it's impossible that Mike's being deliberately disingenuous because he's sick of Walt's poo poo, bending the facts a little bit to shine the harshest possible light on Walt's lovely choices.

After all, lying to someone to gently caress with their head is the oldest cop trick there is!

That said, Mike's more right than he is wrong in that conversation. It's not clear for certain whether or not they had completely decided to kill Jesse and/or Walt UNTIL Walt started loving with them and giving them no choice.

Jesse killed two of Gus's dealers after being explicitly warned not to and being made to understand that such things were Gus's decision to make. At this point Jesse is nothing but a worthless junkie to Gus. There's absolutely no reason for him to let Jesse live. He's not sending Mike out to look for him to give him a scared straight talk. Gus is a ruthless drug dealer who likely got to where he is by becoming exactly the sort of person Walt becomes. The only difference is Gus is motivated by revenge against the Salamancas and the Cartel while Walt is motivated by revenge against the elite society he believes screwed him over.

Mike isn't so different from Walt either. He's become an enforcer for thugs and murderers who sell poison to addicts all so he can leave an oversized inheritance to his granddaughter to assuage his guilt for her father's death. Better Call Saul makes it clear that while Kaylee and her mother could use Mike's help, it quickly becomes something more than simple necessity. For Mike it becomes more or less completely about guilt, which his daughter-in-law takes subtle advantage of even while the jobs Mike takes to support them make him angry and embittered and drive him away from her emotionally (as we see with the support group incident). At this point I think the only reason Mike keeps working for Gus is so he can watch that number next to the dollar sign go up and up and up, not necessarily because Kaylee needs it, but because he needs it.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Gus and Mike would not have had a reason to kill Walt if Walt had just had some humility and shut up and done his job. Mike is 100% right in that conversation IMO.

Have you even been following the conversation?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

...dude, I was just saying.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Agent Escalus posted:

...dude, I was just saying.

Sorry, it's just frustrating because it sometimes feels like it's impossible to analyze Walt as a human character in these discussions since everyone talks about him like he's Satan incarnate rather than just a bad person. It's the same problem with Chuck. I know tons of people who don't understand that Kim is right to be concerned about the way Jimmy's refusing to deal with Chuck's death, because they think Chuck was such an irredeemably evil person that he deserved to die by his own hand in horrible pain, and that Jimmy shouldn't care at all. It just bums me out that so many people apparently watch these shows like that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cnut the Great posted:

Sorry, it's just frustrating

No it isn’t. It’s television.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

No it isn’t. It’s television.

Okay, my mistake.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

I imagine by introducing the Breaking Bad scenes, they are working their way to the end of the series. Saul doesn’t get huge ratings but somehow got renewed before the season started. I figure this is because next season is the last and they pitched their course to the finale.

they'll renew it forever because it gets prestige (& netflix will pick it up if they drop it)

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Was there no follow-up this week to Mike ignoring Stacey's phone call? I hope there's more development between them that causes the estrangement than the one time Mike was an rear end in a top hat to a grief therapy group.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bob Odenkirk confirms that Lalo is 'crazy'. Makes him sound like Super Tuco.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/better-call-saul-season-4-episode-5-bob-odenkirk-breaking-bad-1202926127/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Walt got Jesse hired at the lab to keep him from 1) bringing charges against Hank for beating his rear end and 2) to keep him from dropping dime on Heisenburg during same. So it was kinda self preservation and a whole lot of Jesse being the real Walt Jr. that got him involved with Gus at all. And then yeah beefing with the 2 dealers that caused Walt to full-measure their asses to save his life. The only way to avoid all that would have been to ice Jesse rather than hire him and Walt would never go for that. I can kinda see Walt would consider 'keeping his head down' to not be an option in that scenario.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

I hope to God that I am never rescued by a superhero named Super Tuco

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

Walt got Jesse hired at the lab to keep him from 1) bringing charges against Hank for beating his rear end and 2) to keep him from dropping dime on Heisenburg during same. So it was kinda self preservation and a whole lot of Jesse being the real Walt Jr. that got him involved with Gus at all. And then yeah beefing with the 2 dealers that caused Walt to full-measure their asses to save his life. The only way to avoid all that would have been to ice Jesse rather than hire him and Walt would never go for that. I can kinda see Walt would consider 'keeping his head down' to not be an option in that scenario.

And it's worth pointing out that while those two reasons for him hiring Jesse are accurate, the show also goes out of its way to show Walt starting to get irrationally irritated with Gale despite it basically being love at first sight a few days earlier. It's clear Walt actually misses Jesse. Jesse is the only person Walt is ever willing to admit is just as good as him at what he does, which is huge for someone with an ego as big as Walt's. That's not something he'd do just to secure somebody's loyalty. This isn't to ignore all the ways Walt uses and emotionally manipulates Jesse, but the reason Walt does that is because he doesn't want to lose him, because he means something to him. He considers Jesse his one true partner, and one of the ways he's getting back at Elliot Schwartz in this power fantasy he's living out is to perform the role of the loyal 50/50 partner he believes Elliot failed to be for him. Jesse is also an alternative son for Walt. Whereas the disabled Walt Jr. is a physical manifestation of Walt Sr.'s self-image as a man whose full potential has been thwarted by forces outside of his control, Jesse represents the unlimited potential of the Heisenberg persona. That's why Walt is constantly stressing Jesse's "potential" to him. Walt knows he's going to die, and he doesn't want Heisenberg to die with him. Jesse is Heisenberg's legacy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cnut the Great posted:

And it's worth pointing out that while those two reasons for him hiring Jesse are accurate, the show also goes out of its way to show Walt starting to get irrationally irritated with Gale despite it basically being love at first sight a few days earlier.

that was an act, fam

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Jesse is the only person Walt is ever willing to admit is just as good as him at what he does, which is huge for someone with an ego as big as Walt's.

Saying this was also an act on Walt's part. I seriously doubt he thought Jesse could cook as good as him. Jesse wouldn't be able to account for certain things, and Walt even says this and gives some technical examples at some point (like Jesse being unable to recognize certain unwanted chemical reactions or something).

e: I just remembered that Walt says this to Victor, not Jesse, but I think it still stands.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 6, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So what were those metal cylinder things the German guy was pressing against the floor?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a Schmidt rebound hammer. Basically it lanuches a steel slug into a hard surface and measures how far it bounces back. It is a non-destructive way of measuring concrete strength.

Likely he was getting an idea of whether the floor might be able to support any weight with a hole dug under it or if it was cut-rate garbage concrete that would have to be replaced somehow.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 6, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Well I learned something today.

The thing about having to discreetly truck out the dirt reminded me of a bit in one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books where Captain Vimes is trying to work out how far the dwarves are digging under the city by seeing if there's records of how many more trash wagons have been passing through the city gates lately.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

withak posted:

I do heavy civil design and estimating for a living and going with the 2nd guy over the 1st was a no-brainer. After the first guy finished his pitch I thought the writers were going to go the wildly-unrealistic route for plot reasons, then when the 2ng guy whipped out his tape measure, flashlight, Schmidt hammer, and preliminary list of ways things could go wrong I literally did a fist pump.

Same. Secant walls!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

that was an act, fam

No it wasn't. Nothing about that moment--not the way it's written, not the way it's acted--indicate that it's anything other than Walt making a major concession against his own ego in order to win Jesse back. At that point Jesse can cook every bit as well as Walt can, and Walt knows it. He's not acting.

This is exactly my point with people just going "Walt's an evil rear end in a top hat and that's it" and misunderstanding crucial aspects of the show because of it.

Last Chance posted:

Saying this was also an act on Walt's part. I seriously doubt he thought Jesse could cook as good as him. Jesse wouldn't be able to account for certain things, and Walt even says this and gives some technical examples at some point (like Jesse being unable to recognize certain unwanted chemical reactions or something).

e: I just remembered that Walt says this to Victor, not Jesse, but I think it still stands.

How does it stand? You just undermined your sole supporting point.

Walt wants Jesse to be every bit as good as him. Jesse is his protege. He's the one who's going to take over his empire and keep pumping out Blue Sky after he's gone.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Didn't Walt have a meltdown later on where he declared that Jesse would never be as good as him? I think he genuinely thought of Jesse as a surrogate son and the one to carry on the Heisenberg legacy, but I always felt that Jesse was only the world's second-greatest meth cook in his mind.

Takes No Damage posted:

One thing that frustrated me in that whole scenario is that Gus never made it clear whether he was actually ordering the dealers to murder a child. After the fact he's more than happy to tell Walt that he would have killed those two on his own, and it always left me with the impression that they could have had a functional working relationship if they'd just went straight to Gus and told him that they don't work with child killers. Regardless of his actual intentions, Gus would've been more than happy to acid drum a couple of goons if it meant keeping Walt and Jesse in the fold.