Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Baronjutter posted:

I measure buildings with a laser and the way the french guy was using it made me think he wasn't actually measuring things, just randomly lasering. Like what's the point of taking a measurement from standing in a random spot? You do it from one wall to another, you butt the end of the tool up against something else. At first I thought the scene was just done by someone who doesn't know much about using these lasers professionally to measure and draw up buildings but if anything it's another layer to show him as an over-confident fool.

Yes, me too. Lasers are great except on the factory floor you somehow always have line of sight obstructed by a machine.

And there's no way the guy squared up to anything at all either. The guy who brought his 80 year old 100m tape that still works fine and uses a leadholder would be my obvious pick too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Huh? Can you explain? I’m curious and don’t want to waddle through 20 min of them saying how fantastic their staff is.

the lady who plays Paige in BCS was talking about voice acting gigs - she was one of the NPCs in that series

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

eke out posted:

the lady who plays Paige in BCS was talking about voice acting gigs - she was one of the NPCs in that series

"Well, we're being given the signal to wrap up. I just want to get one quick thing in that I liked the superlab survey scenes. Ok, who's going to say "better call saul" this week?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I like how Howard at his worst looking is just us on our tryhard days

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
That actor really sold the hell out of being carsick, grouchy, shady, and competent. I also love how there's a place in Gus' cartel for people who aren't icy badasses. If you're good at what you do you can work for Fring even if your a goof like Gale or a pukey German engineer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

"Well, we're being given the signal to wrap up. I just want to get one quick thing in that I liked the superlab survey scenes. Ok, who's going to say "better call saul" this week?"

lol it's so weird how people itt have this complex about a podcast that's like, happy and collegial, to the point that the main criticism is they're just all being too damned friendly!!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every podcast with show business people has to devote a certain amount of airtime to tediously talking about how great everyone they work with is. It's just one of those things.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

eke out posted:

lol it's so weird how people itt have this complex about a podcast that's like, happy and collegial, to the point that the main criticism is they're just all being too damned friendly!!
It would be totally fine if it was a few minutes here and there, but usually it ends up being like half the runtime of a podcast that's supposed to be about Better Call Saul to the point where they don't talk about a lot of interesting things that go into making Better Call Saul that they could be talking about.

e: Although I'm listening to the newest one now and that doesn't seem to be the case with this one, which is refreshing.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 5, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

That actor really sold the hell out of being carsick, grouchy, shady, and competent. I also love how there's a place in Gus' cartel for people who aren't icy badasses. If you're good at what you do you can work for Fring even if your a goof like Gale or a pukey German engineer.

Yeah Gus' talent scouting and willingness to work with people outside the normal avenues of the criminal lifestyle was one of his big strengths. He was always very much the scalpel to the Cartel's hammer. Even bringing Walt on board was a great scouting decision on paper he just didn't know how far his loyalty to Jesse extended.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Gus seemed to value those who simply loved their field of expertise and held the actual work to high regard. Coupled with a non-criminal background, which means they will be quiet, under the radar, and not difficult to deaal with. It makes perfect sense.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Human Crouton posted:

That's what I'm most looking forward too as well. Moving the dirt out is the hardest part, I think. You couldn't even cover it by doing a legit expansion to cover all of the hardware moving in and out because you'd have city inspectors all over the place.

Well if the laundry operation was up and running, they likely could just haul the dirt out similar to hauling out the meth, just heavier with the dirt.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I subscribe to the interpretation that he's assassinated.
Read a great essay detailing the use of editing and perspective in that scene that I'd dig out if I wasn't phone posting. The beat when, every other time in the sequence, it's supposed to be from Tony's point of view is when the cut to darkness happens.

This is cool stuff, the kind of thing that would go great in a podcast format... :argh: For the record I don't hate the Sopranos ending, more the generation of poor imitations it inspired.

For the latest episode, I really liked it as well. It was jumping around to so many different plots that for like the last 4 scenes I kept expecting them to smash to credits but there just kept being more show. Gus looms out of the shadows? OK show's over. Howard scene in the bathroom? Yeah we're done here. Jimmy still on my screen? I don't know why but I like it.

I've got a big print of a photo of that Dog House neon sign (which is a real place in Albuquerque) so I appreciated all of the loving shots of the sign reflected in street puddles. Weird that a show like this makes me want a 4k TV more than most movies.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

This is cool stuff, the kind of thing that would go great in a podcast format... :argh: For the record I don't hate the Sopranos ending, more the generation of poor imitations it inspired.

For the latest episode, I really liked it as well. It was jumping around to so many different plots that for like the last 4 scenes I kept expecting them to smash to credits but there just kept being more show. Gus looms out of the shadows? OK show's over. Howard scene in the bathroom? Yeah we're done here. Jimmy still on my screen? I don't know why but I like it.

I've got a big print of a photo of that Dog House neon sign (which is a real place in Albuquerque) so I appreciated all of the loving shots of the sign reflected in street puddles. Weird that a show like this makes me want a 4k TV more than most movies.

Definitely save your money up for an OLED 4K. Looks amazing on my LG, especially the dark scenes.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
If there was one thing from Breaking Bad that I felt needed explanation, it was the superlab and how it was built. I am so glad this is going to be a plot line.

Last Chance posted:

In the BB-era scene, Saul grabs a box from behind the constitution. No doubt containing the alpine shepard boy.

That box was actually featured in the first scene of the pilot. I think it just had some pictures, letters, and the VHS tape of Saul's commercial reel.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Takes No Damage posted:

Dog House neon sign (which is a real place in Albuquerque)

The shows kind of make it out to be a bit of a dive, almost in bad part of town. Apparently it isn't, it's right across the street from a decent-looking apartment building, and it was one of the first restaurants of its type in ABQ - but I wonder what the owners think of the episode's gritty depiction, complete with mugging?

(Also revealing: NM is the second poorest state in the USA?! I knew Louisiana was #1 but figured #2 would be an economic basket case like Michigan or a sparsely populated one like Wyoming. Or maybe Mississippi, because, well, Mississippi.)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Agent Escalus posted:

The shows kind of make it out to be a bit of a dive, almost in bad part of town. Apparently it isn't, it's right across the street from a decent-looking apartment building, and it was one of the first restaurants of its type in ABQ - but I wonder what the owners think of the episode's gritty depiction, complete with mugging?

(Also revealing: NM is the second poorest state in the USA?! I knew Louisiana was #1 but figured #2 would be an economic basket case like Michigan or a sparsely populated one like Wyoming. Or maybe Mississippi, because, well, Mississippi.)

I'm assuming the owners are smart and realize this is the best publicity they've ever had.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Exploder posted:

That box was actually featured in the first scene of the pilot. I think it just had some pictures, letters, and the VHS tape of Saul's commercial reel.

I would think if it were just sentimental tokens, he wouldn't have sealed it behind a wall. He wasn't even that careful with his hoards of drug money.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Agent Escalus posted:

The exact order of the bottom few shuffles around a bit.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This describes something I didn't even notice. Jimmy IS going to see a shrink, until he realizes that if Hamlin is seeing one and is still that hosed up, what's the point?

A behind the scenes video I saw puts an even deeper twist on Jimmy being apprehensive about a shrink.

At Jimmy's core, beneath his charming and scrappy attitude, there is a deep sense of self-loathing. Chuck's death was the ultimate consequence of his behavior, and it's as though his ghost is haunting Jimmy, reminding him of what he's done. Since then, he's been slowly twisting himself up, burying his trauma and grief and pushing all of his terrible feelings deep inside himself, and it's like he's been terribly poisoned. He can't sit still because he's afraid to be alone with himself, afraid of who he is.

If Howard, a man who was as balanced as could be, was seeing a shrink and looking like that, what the hell would Jimmy look like after facing his own demons?

So on one layer, yes, it could just be Jimmy saying "Eh, gently caress it, if it's not working for him, then it's not gonna work for me." But you can go deeper and see that it's not just a lack of resources or will, it's a very deep fear that if Jimmy wants to get better, he would have to come to terms with the person that he's become. The tragedy is that fear and hatred of himself, as it turns out, is far stronger than his need for recovery.

He would rather punish himself. He would rather go incognito as a manager in a Cinnabon in Omaha, Nebraska, telling himself that he deserves a lifetime of banal mediocrity for the deeds that he's done.

That's just my interpretation though.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

eke out posted:

The podcast used to do a lot more "here's how we pulled off this shot" and "this was the thought process behind this scene" talk. They kind of don't do much of that anymore, and people who miss it blame the topics that fill the time instead.

I've come to terms with the idea that it's no longer a "behind-the-scenes" podcast, and more of a "after-hours wrap-up and celebration hangout" podcast, a thing they do to de-stress near the end of the production run. And so I skip episodes more often than I used to, and life goes on.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Agent Escalus posted:

The poorest state is Mississippi, I thought, by most reckonings?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income

I used to live in Michigan. Detroit isn't in great shape, but there's lots of Michigan that isn't Detroit.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this episode of the podcast revealed the teaser was shot on film and how few film processing companies are even left in the era of 4k. which i thought was pretty cool and informative.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I was enraptured watching the German guy doing his thing. I've ended up googling "piling rigs", "secant walls", "CFA piles", what that tool was he pushed down on the concrete, etc as I didn't understand any of it at the time.

I also failed to notice the indiscretion on the part of the French guy talking about the tunnel, which was probably enough for Gus and Mike to know he wasn't trustworthy.

A well cooked steak of an episode.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Durzel posted:

I've ended up googling "piling rigs", "secant walls", "CFA piles", what that tool was he pushed down on the concrete, etc as I didn't understand any of it at the time.

I did that too and now I hope they show us the actual construction process because I have no idea how they would use these things without anyone noticing.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

NowonSA posted:

Yeah Gus' talent scouting and willingness to work with people outside the normal avenues of the criminal lifestyle was one of his big strengths. He was always very much the scalpel to the Cartel's hammer. Even bringing Walt on board was a great scouting decision on paper he just didn't know how far his loyalty to Jesse extended.

"They wanted me to build a lab in a filthy barn, a cheap setup to be abandoned after a few months when someone noticed the smell. And I must confess, I almost gave them what they wanted. Then, I thought, no. No, this is America."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Kim is Wendy.

Change my mind.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I also got a bit of a Gale vibe from the German guy, where his grouchiness and nausea was slowly replaced by feelings of trepidation and excitement. He's not sure he's up to the task, but he's grateful for being given the opportunity and will certainly do his best. That's exactly the kind of guy whose loyalty Gus knows how to win, and he was pretty clearly sold by the time Gus spoke to him in perfect German.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They didn't hire the Frenchie because he was going to strike after a week

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

And then surrender to the DEA.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ceci n'est pas un homme. Non homme de tout

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I also got a bit of a Gale vibe from the German guy, where his grouchiness and nausea was slowly replaced by feelings of trepidation and excitement. He's not sure he's up to the task, but he's grateful for being given the opportunity and will certainly do his best. That's exactly the kind of guy whose loyalty Gus knows how to win, and he was pretty clearly sold by the time Gus spoke to him in perfect German.
Yeah I did get the same Gale vibe. He’s clearly competent and not as interested in bragging as the other engineer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gus is more of a classical guy and Frenchman was new wave

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
The Frenchman reminds me of an Ocean's Eleven member.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, I love this. Both dudes are super into their projects because they’re given nearly infinite resources to solve a really hard problem in their field of passion. Gus is basically funding endowed faculty chairs in chemistry and engineering; but, instead of having to do university service by sitting on boring rear end committees and overseeing grad students, these guys have to help create a meth empire.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wonder if that second contractor would enjoy Franch as a condiment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

No because guy 1 was the franch of people

Also I've tried franch and it's just kinda....there. If Dramamine won't help....

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I seem to be in the minority here, but I really don't care how the superlab was made. I suppose it's the natural progression for the Mike/Gus plot, but meh.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I seem to be in the minority here, but I really don't care how the superlab was made. I suppose it's the natural progression for the Mike/Gus plot, but meth.

fixed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It occurs to me that the first guy was basically sort of Walt, but before Walt. Cocky, not careful (spilling the specific beans on a previous job, being confused about the privacy measures that were taken). Gus and Mike see this, and go the other way.

If only they had been consistent with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I'm not entirely sure where the Gus and MIke show can really go now, besides continuing to establish things that we know about from BB (i.e. superlab).

Gus is already running Los Pollos, Mike is working with him, Hector has had his stroke and will be in a wheelchair shortly, Tyrus and Victor have been introduced, etc. Their arc is to all intents and purposes overlapping the beginning of Breaking Bad already, being that the finished superlab was introduced in season 3 of that show.

That being said, I'm sure there will be some interesting and entertaining things to come.