Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

What? Peres wasn't assassinated, he died of a stroke. You're confusing him with Rabin, the PM who actually was assassinated by a right-wing extremist radicalized by (among others) the Likud's rhetoric.

Oops. You're right.

And yeah, they cheered that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kurnugia posted:

Can anyone think of any allies the Palestinians might have once the 3rd intifada gets going? I mean, it looks to me like we could be heading to full on death camp stage of the genocide.

Palestinians crumble, are slaughtered and erased from history while Israel, with unconditional backing from the west and in especially the US, is respected and has many allies.

Of course this won't stop Israel from pretending to be the poor plucky little put-upon victim whenever convenient. As :umberto: said, the enemy is both weak and strong, and the corollary is that the fascist state is also strong and weak both.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dunno about you guys but I'm digging this whole 'Bibi delivers a morally ambiguous comic book villain monologue on Twitter' thing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dunno about you guys but I'm digging this whole 'Bibi delivers a morally ambiguous comic book villain monologue on Twitter' thing.

:frogout:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't mean that the fascism is actually ambiguous, I mean it's just the type of monologue comic book writers give their villain when they want the reader to think it's not a black and white situation.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kurnugia posted:

Can anyone think of any allies the Palestinians might have once the 3rd intifada gets going? I mean, it looks to me like we could be heading to full on death camp stage of the genocide.

The question isn't whether the Palestinians have any allies, it's who has the leverage to influence Israel and the will to use it? No one is going to go to war with Israel, for instance - the IDF is a tough opponent even without the risk that the US might come to their aid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Issaamro/status/1035656029101608960

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Main Paineframe posted:

The question isn't whether the Palestinians have any allies, it's who has the leverage to influence Israel and the will to use it? No one is going to go to war with Israel, for instance - the IDF is a tough opponent even without the risk that the US might come to their aid.

How tough can a military that gets spooked by kites and small children with rocks be?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Things that Israel Defense Forces have to protect:
  • Fences
  • Bags of poop

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

In other news I came across an article in Ha'aretz about how snipers on the gaza "border" are suffering an increased amount of mental trauma which isn't being treated aptly by the army. Which is good because if you serve on the gaza fence you deserve to swallow a loving bullet.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Ultramega posted:

In other news I came across an article in Ha'aretz about how snipers on the gaza "border" are suffering an increased amount of mental trauma which isn't being treated aptly by the army. Which is good because if you serve on the gaza fence you deserve to swallow a loving bullet.

Such anger, yes! Let the hate flow through you, young one.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Soon, your journey to conservatism will be complete :xd:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ultramega posted:

The IDF barely treats its soldiers from physical harm, let alone mental.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

I'm willing to genocide an entire race just because they aren't Jewish.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
israel fuckin sucks

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

communism bitch posted:

israel fuckin sucks

Your contribution to the thread is greatly appreciated.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

communism bitch posted:

israel fuckin sucks

This gentleman used to be called oberleutnant. presented without comment on his obvious nazism

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013
Someone, please add this thread to the places that have been invaded by the british.

Perhaps this time they will finally manage to not leave the place a total mess.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tooo late, we're kicking you out and building a national homeland for *spins globe* the maya

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Someone, please add this thread to the places that have been invaded by the british.

Perhaps this time they will finally manage to not leave the place a total mess.

They can't even seem to leave their own country in any reasonable order, so that sounds a bit unlikely. :shrug:

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Main Paineframe posted:

With the US defunding UNRWA, there’s going to be a gap in funding for keeping millions of Palestinians from starvation and other ills. Arab states with the most refugees are unlikely to be able to afford to fill in the missing funds. Refugee families are going to be spurred into action. Israel’s about to create a problem for itself and its neighbours that hasn’t existed since the mid-1980s.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Miftan posted:

The IDF barely treats its soldiers from physical harm, let alone mental.

Any more information om this? In my head I have always portrayed them as very casualty-averse.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Retarded Goatee posted:

Any more information om this? In my head I have always portrayed them as very casualty-averse.

Being casualty-averse isn't the same as taking good care of the wounded. Isn't it Israeli doctrine to kill their own soldiers to prevent them being captured by Palestinians?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Being casualty-averse isn't the same as taking good care of the wounded. Isn't it Israeli doctrine to kill their own soldiers to prevent them being captured by Palestinians?

It's not official policy anymore, I don't think, but it was/is definitely unofficial policy. Look up Hannibal Doctrine. I was wounded in the IDF and I know plenty of people who have been, not from combat but stress (physical and mental) and the IDF HATES paying out for the long term damage that infantry stuff causes and will fight you in court to prove pre existing conditions and junk like that. They're massive assholes even to their own pawns.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Wow it's almost as if every single military in the world is staffed by the most cynical, transaction-oriented pieces of poo poo you can pour into a pair of BDUs who treat anyone below E3 as a piece of expendable poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ultramega posted:

Wow it's almost as if every single military in the world is staffed by the most cynical, transaction-oriented pieces of poo poo you can pour into a pair of BDUs who treat anyone below E3 as a piece of expendable poo poo.

You'd think there'd be some kind of distinction between a professional and a conscription-based army, but this is basically the enlisted experience in the US armed forces, as far as I can tell.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Also, much like the IDF the american military hasn't won a war since the 40's

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ultramega posted:

Also, much like the IDF the american military hasn't won a war since the 40's

I believe it's '67 for the IDF.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VideoGameVet posted:

I believe it's '67 for the IDF.

It won '73, just with way more losses than it was expecting. It also arguably won '82, because it got the PLO expelled from Lebanon.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

The 1967 war has a lot of myths around it so depending on who's doing the telling it was either a pitched battle against the retrograde arab hordes bent on drowning little israel or just a complete slaughter so ymmv on that.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It won '73, just with way more losses than it was expecting. It also arguably won '82, because it got the PLO expelled from Lebanon.

lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ultramega posted:

It's because the military's current purpose is largely just political posturing and propping up arms manufacturers, and thus there's a constant desire to do maximum show of force while minimizing any costs or impacts that aren't directly related to hardware purchases.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hong XiuQuan posted:

With the US defunding UNRWA, there’s going to be a gap in funding for keeping millions of Palestinians from starvation and other ills. Arab states with the most refugees are unlikely to be able to afford to fill in the missing funds. Refugee families are going to be spurred into action. Israel’s about to create a problem for itself and its neighbours that hasn’t existed since the mid-1980s.

Saudi Arabia will probably pick up the tab. Once MBS officially becomes king, and is serious about his pro-Israel stance, he might use Saudi funding of the Palestinians as leverage to force them to agree to a pro-Israel peace deal.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Genuinely interested to hear why you think that because the only articles I've been able to find paint a very different picture of prevailing saudi attitudes toward the palestinians.

quick edit: obviously not what regular people in the kingdom think, more what the people who actually shape and dictate their foreign policy.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ultramega posted:

The 1967 war has a lot of myths around it so depending on who's doing the telling it was either a pitched battle against the retrograde arab hordes bent on drowning little israel or just a complete slaughter so ymmv on that.

Once the IAF took out the opposition, it was a pretty quick over. The opportunity to resolve the Middle East conflict was squandered after that war.

FWIW Jordan cooperated with Israel in the '73 war.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Jordan loving sucks.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Khan al Ahmar is composed of 5 sites clustered around Highway 1, 10 km East of the armistice line. It offers commanding views of the road from both sides at ranges between 50-500 meters from a patchwork of structures and hills. It's the only town behind the effective front line of Jewish settlements in the area.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Well, at least the Palestinians had their day in court

Hahahaha. No way Israel would let this exist. It's like a purpose-built ambush spot. And no, the irony of the inhabitants pre-dating (the modern paved version of) the highway is not lost on me.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Preen Dog posted:

Khan al Ahmar is composed of 5 sites clustered around Highway 1, 10 km East of the armistice line. It offers commanding views of the road from both sides at ranges between 50-500 meters from a patchwork of structures and hills. It's the only town behind the effective front line of Jewish settlements in the area.

Hahahaha. No way Israel would let this exist. It's like a purpose-built ambush spot. And no, the irony of the inhabitants pre-dating (the modern paved version of) the highway is not lost on me.

What, are towns not allowed to be on hills near highways anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm sure that you could build a settlement on a hill near a road as long as you didn't let palestinians in