Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

sebmojo posted:

I thought it looked good for stompy robot feel, but the chance of it having a good game around it is slim. I'm optimistic though bc it's a better way to live :shobon:

At least it isn't in CryEngine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Our local Amechwarrior is who authors that AI mod: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-release-better-ai-tweaks-for-deadlier-ai.1075322/ As they mentioned up thread, it's been updated for 1.2

As for the gear and other goodies, you'd have to rip them out of the RogueTech mod package

OK, cool! I was really impressed that the AI actually used high ground to protect its LRM boat.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can cheese the stock ai pretty easily. It's straight up a better game with those improvements alone

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

What mods should I be using in the vanilla game to beef up the gameplay? AI, more gear, etc. I'm not sure what's compatible with 1.2. I installed RogueTech and I really want fancy gear and better AI in my vanilla campaign.

Anything that makes Star League weapons more accessible. You need all the Gauss Rifles.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's still some limitations to the engine. For example, 'Streak' missiles cannot have all the models hit / decline to fire on a 'miss' like they do in the tabletop, so instead they just make them more accurate, longer ranged and ignore 2 pips of evasion. Unfortunately they also weigh 1.5x more as well as more heat.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Tabletop style streaks would suck in this anyway, because it fucks with the heat management in a bad way (something you could avoid by giving them a x number of missiles always hit floor to their to-hit rolls).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 5, 2018

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I haven't used the Hatchetman since I last played tabletop...25ish years ago. So, I looked it up, and, holy crap this thing is going to be fun for a 45 ton mech. An AC10 & two medium lasers with the hatchet are going to make it versatile at most ranges. I think it'll have one extra heat sink; which I'll likely ditch in favor of support weapon, if the hardpoints support it. Or just more armor. With a better pilot (shorter min range penalties), I'd drop the AC10 to an AC5 and throw more armor on board.

Sadly, the Axman doesn't come out until 3048. :(

That said, nothing is going to stop me from putting a hatchet on a Black Knight if I can.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 5, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm not sure why people think the Hatchet is going to be aynthing but a built in higher-than-normal melee boost for the Hatchetman chassis. Did HBS say anything to indicate it's not? Making it a weapon you can stick on other mechs would be a ridiculous amount of work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm not sure why people think the Hatchet is going to be aynthing but a built in higher-than-normal melee boost for the Hatchetman chassis. Did HBS say anything to indicate it's not? Making it a weapon you can stick on other mechs would be a ridiculous amount of work.

Glue it to the side of the Urbanmech

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

DatonKallandor posted:

I can't really see it as a weapon you stick to mechs to boost melee given arm mods are already covering that same design space.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

DatonKallandor posted:

I know in my heart of hearts that it's just going to be part of the chassis, but I still have hope.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I can hope that the hatchet can be disabled by a critical hit or arm removal and have the bonus damage dropped down to normal for its weight. They could also future proof the hatchet by making it a melee weapons hard point, but with only one chassis with it for now. That a bit single use, but you could then have +++ hatchets or swords. Could even make the hatchets super rare and possibly need to field a hatchetless Hatchetman during a flashpoint deployment.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Huh. Rifles seem like they're pretty efficient in Roguetech. A medium rifle comes in at 1t lighter than an AC5, does the same damage for slightly less heat, and has an integrated 1t of ammo in it as well. You can't use special ammo with it, but if you've got a spare hardpoint and 7t you might as well. I just got a Catapult that I've kitted out with a RAC5 and AC5 and all the accuracy buffs I can get on it. I'd been using a RAC5 Vindicator that was dangerously fragile, and this thing might be a nice change.

I also really want to find another Echidnae part so I can get a 55t jumpjet monster and load it up with every bit of flame equipment I can. Combine that with heatseeking LRM/SRM support from my Kintaro, Centurion, or both, and I think that its going to be a bit silly.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Let me tell you the tale of my Medusa.
Due to some minor tactical errors in the dropship mission, he ended up facing off against Victoria and her friends mostly alone, supported only with indirect fire from Glitch in an increasingly close to red lining Centurion LRM boat.

Behemoth and Steeljaw (Dekker of course died in his cardboard Spider way back in the first mission) scrambled to get into range, but they were a few turns off.

Taking shelter in a crater with his Hunchback Medusa set to work. The first AC20 shot slammed through the cockpit of one of Victoria's guards.
The poor old Hunchback took a heavy beating, but help was coming, and Glitch's LRMs softened his targets. There was no better cover he could reach outside of the crater anyway.
Medusa pulled the trigger again, setting off an ammo explosion and shearing off the side torso and its accompanying arm, crippling another of Victoria's guards.

Return fire was harsh. His left leg blew out under him and Medusa fell. The suffering of the poor abused Hunchback wasn't over, and just as support arrived, Medusa lost his left side torso. But he still had his AC20, and a few rounds left. He struggled back to his feet, and let loose another shell. Another enemy mech fell. Only Victoria in her Catapult K2 left.
She fired all she had trying to end the battered and limping Hunchback that defied her, overheating her K2.

Medusa laughed at her. The last of his mech's armour was gone, flowing off the structure in molten rivulets, but he was still alive.
He had faced down impossible odds and survived, and now Behemoth and Steeljaw were in range to end Victoria.
He was still laughing when the Catapult's foot crashed through his cockpit.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
I played at launch and just picked the game back up to try the Ability Beta. Am I out of my mind, or has salvage changed? My recollection is legging provided 2, coring 1, and any other pilot incap gave all 3? Does blowing one leg off (but not both) cause you to lose salvage?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

DatonKallandor posted:

The secret is that we already have hatchets in this game, but for some reason they're called Arm Mod ++ and don't have a model associated with them when you mount them on a mech.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I still have my starter mechs, but found an AC20+ for sale that I can somewhat afford. Will I be able to duct tape that thing onto one of my babby mechs?

Is it even worth trying to?

Also, do I need to keep buying ammo for my guns, or is a container of ammo good forever? I'm worried about how much it will cost to supply it with ammo if I have to buy another crate after each mission.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

binge crotching posted:

I still have my starter mechs, but found an AC20+ for sale that I can somewhat afford. Will I be able to duct tape that thing onto one of my babby mechs?

Also, do I need to keep buying ammo for my guns, or is a container of ammo good forever? I'm worried about how much it will cost to supply it with ammo if I have to buy another crate after each mission.

assuming vanilla, you can jam the ac20 on a shadowhawk :getin:

ammo doesn't deplete but if the box gets destroyed in combat then it will need replaced. Otherwise feel free to sell your 50 boxes of ac2 ammo.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

binge crotching posted:

AC20 + 2xML fit nicely on the Centurion you get from the first story mission.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I've been trying out RogueTech on a lark and ran into a pretty :xcom: scenario.

Setup: I've outfitted a TBT-5N, to 5 JJ's, 2 SRM6, 3ML, nearly max armor and 1 ton of ammo for the SRMs in each leg. So a mid-range brawler

Contract: Convoy Ambush - 1/2 skull. I'm rocking all mediums so feeling pretty confident

Round 1: TBT runs into a forest, with full evasion pips, with no LoS on any enemy mechs but within sensor range

Round 2: At initiative 4 a Jenner with thunderbolt missiles hits the RL which crits through armor one of the SRM ammo bins. This caused a cascading problem where it blows off the RL + RT + RA and crits the engine going down immediately

I can see why they gave mechs CASE naturally. I ended up completing the mission and got lucky with the pilot living. For a while there I was just staring at the screen processing what just happened

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I must be an idiot. I can't figure out how to un-storage a mech so that I can use it.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Click the Storage button from the mechbay view; it'll show you your complete (and partial) mechs. Find the one you want, select it, and select Make Ready.

e: :smug:

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 5, 2018

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Groetgaffel posted:

I must be an idiot. I can't figure out how to un-storage a mech so that I can use it.

In the mech bay you can click the storage tab, and see all storaged mechs. Select which mech you want to manage and a menu pops up on the bottom right with options of what you can do

e;fb :argh:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I've been trying out RogueTech on a lark and ran into a pretty :xcom: scenario.

Setup: I've outfitted a TBT-5N, to 5 JJ's, 2 SRM6, 3ML, nearly max armor and 1 ton of ammo for the SRMs in each leg. So a mid-range brawler

Contract: Convoy Ambush - 1/2 skull. I'm rocking all mediums so feeling pretty confident

Round 1: TBT runs into a forest, with full evasion pips, with no LoS on any enemy mechs but within sensor range

Round 2: At initiative 4 a Jenner with thunderbolt missiles hits the RL which crits through armor one of the SRM ammo bins. This caused a cascading problem where it blows off the RL + RT + RA and crits the engine going down immediately

I can see why they gave mechs CASE naturally. I ended up completing the mission and got lucky with the pilot living. For a while there I was just staring at the screen processing what just happened

With the new Roguetech crit rules, where weapons can crit while you still have armor, CASE is essential (I have CASE II on all of my mechs, my LRM boat has an entire torso just full of ammo with one slot for CASE II and I refuse to add more ammo due to the fact that you can only put one CASE II on a mech for some reason)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Hremsfeld posted:

Click the Storage button from the mechbay view; it'll show you your complete (and partial) mechs. Find the one you want, select it, and select Make Ready.

e: :smug:

In the mech bay you can click the storage tab, and see all storaged mechs. Select which mech you want to manage and a menu pops up on the bottom right with options of what you can do

e;fb :argh:
I guess it's bugged then, because I only have have incomplete mechs under that tab, despite sitting on like ten stored mechs that I can sell in the store.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

2 SPOOKY posted:

I played at launch and just picked the game back up to try the Ability Beta. Am I out of my mind, or has salvage changed? My recollection is legging provided 2, coring 1, and any other pilot incap gave all 3? Does blowing one leg off (but not both) cause you to lose salvage?

You don't lose salvage for only blowing one leg off.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

mods changed my name posted:

assuming vanilla, you can jam the ac20 on a shadowhawk :getin:

ammo doesn't deplete but if the box gets destroyed in combat then it will need replaced. Otherwise feel free to sell your 50 boxes of ac2 ammo.

Thanks a lot! I have 17 days of travel to the next mission, so I should be able to get it refit by then. And that's very good to know about ammo cans; I'll keep a couple around but sell the others I collect.

Organ Fiend posted:

AC20 + 2xML fit nicely on the Centurion you get from the first story mission.

I think that's the one where the woman offers 1.7m for a mission (instead of the 50k or whatever I was getting before)? The game crashed when I tried doing that one, and apparently the last auto-save was from before I changed systems to go talk to her. I can always move it to the new mech after I talk to her again (and manually save).

Since I know she's going to give me a giant pile of money for doing that mission, I was hoping it would be worth spending 200k buying a gun that with the bonus damage can basically 2-shot all of the mechs I've seen so far.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do the large Battltech states operate captial ships without compact KF drives for intrasystem defense or capable of being transported by JumpShips?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Baron Porkface posted:

Do the large Battltech states operate captial ships without compact KF drives for intrasystem defense or capable of being transported by JumpShips?

Compact KF Drives are lostech; they have to use JumpShips for force movements.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

2 SPOOKY posted:

IIRC that's the starting point but there's still a die roll for how many pieces you actually get.

binge crotching posted:

Ammo restocks forever, so the only time you need to buy more ammo is outfitting new mechs, or if you lose an ammo box from damage. Except you'll never actually need to buy ammo, you'll have it coming out of your ears from salvage.

Buying + guns: don't bother in the early game. First, the good stuff doesn't even show up until you are out of the first 4 systems. Second, you can get to the mid-game without needing them at all, and during that time you'll probably find some upgrades in salvage. And last, you want to pump all your money into argo upgrades and, if you have any left over, generous pay. Morale bonuses build for the whole game, morale is your lifeline in bad situations.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

binge crotching posted:

Thanks a lot! I have 17 days of travel to the next mission, so I should be able to get it refit by then. And that's very good to know about ammo cans; I'll keep a couple around but sell the others I collect.

I think that's the one where the woman offers 1.7m for a mission (instead of the 50k or whatever I was getting before)? The game crashed when I tried doing that one, and apparently the last auto-save was from before I changed systems to go talk to her. I can always move it to the new mech after I talk to her again (and manually save).

Since I know she's going to give me a giant pile of money for doing that mission, I was hoping it would be worth spending 200k buying a gun that with the bonus damage can basically 2-shot all of the mechs I've seen so far.

If you have the money, its totally worth it. Early on, an AC20 hit will cripple or kill just about anything you're fighting at that point. Just make sure you put a pilot with high gunnery into it (missing with that AC20 sucks much more than missing with a ML). In my first campaign, I was lucky enough to find a +20 damage AC20 in the store. I put it on the centurion, and that mech was the star of my mercenary company for a long while.

I wouldn't, however, suggest mounting it on another mech before the centurion. None of the mechs you start with can mount it very well (SHD sacrifices way too much to mount it ... centurion has more available tonnage because its slower/has a smaller engine), and even if you do squeeze it in moving it to the centurion afterward will put both mechs in the mech bay for a long time. Early on, repairs/refits take a long time, so you need to minimize mechbay time, or you'll just be bleeding money while you're waiting for your mechs to finish. Your starter mechs in stock or lightly modified can take the first story mission. Finish the mission, get the centurion, configure it, then pick a nice 2 to 2.5 skull planet a few jumps away, and the centurion (and your other mechs) will be ready to go when you get there.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Organ Fiend posted:

I wouldn't, however, suggest mounting it on another mech before the centurion. None of the mechs you start with can mount it very well

On the subject of adding 'Mechs to the game that really aren't well-suited to what they mount, I really, really hope that at some point someone mods in the Hollander.

Look at that. 17 tons of weapons in a 35 ton 'Mech, all devoted to the one system. And he looks psyched to be here.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Breetai posted:

On the subject of adding 'Mechs to the game that really aren't well-suited to what they mount, I really, really hope that at some point someone mods in the Hollander.

Look at that. 17 tons of weapons in a 35 ton 'Mech, all devoted to the one system. And he looks psyched to be here.

Hollander: When you need to not only compensate for your micropenis, but every micropenis in the sector.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Hollander were pretty cool in Mech Commander

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Breetai posted:

I misread a spoiler about the gauss rifle mech you get in this game and was really excited that I'd be getting a Hollander eventually.

The Highlander is an acceptable substitute.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

I guess it's bugged then, because I only have have incomplete mechs under that tab, despite sitting on like ten stored mechs that I can sell in the store.
And now it suddenly works again. :shrug:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

VolticSurge posted:

Hollander: When you need to not only compensate for your micropenis, but every micropenis in the sector.

If your penis is growing out of your shoulder please see a doctor immediately.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Baron Porkface posted:

This basically slows military logistics down to the age of sail. The Jumpship takes a week to charge its KF drive and dropships must be dumping an ungodly amount of delta v just to go from the Jumpship to Planetside and back.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Organ Fiend posted:

If you have the money, its totally worth it. Early on, an AC20 hit will cripple or kill just about anything you're fighting at that point. Just make sure you put a pilot with high gunnery into it (missing with that AC20 sucks much more than missing with a ML). In my first campaign, I was lucky enough to find a +20 damage AC20 in the store. I put it on the centurion, and that mech was the star of my mercenary company for a long while.

I wouldn't, however, suggest mounting it on another mech before the centurion. None of the mechs you start with can mount it very well (SHD sacrifices way too much to mount it ... centurion has more available tonnage because its slower/has a smaller engine), and even if you do squeeze it in moving it to the centurion afterward will put both mechs in the mech bay for a long time. Early on, repairs/refits take a long time, so you need to minimize mechbay time, or you'll just be bleeding money while you're waiting for your mechs to finish. Your starter mechs in stock or lightly modified can take the first story mission. Finish the mission, get the centurion, configure it, then pick a nice 2 to 2.5 skull planet a few jumps away, and the centurion (and your other mechs) will be ready to go when you get there.

Good to know, I didn't realize it would take forever to refit it. It's only +10 damage and not +20, but I think it'll work. I'll buy it, and then wait to put it on until I finish the next mission. Plus that'll give me a chance to get some more Gunnery in my shooty guys, since they both only have the Multi-Target skill so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Panfilo posted:

This basically slows military logistics down to the age of sail. The Jumpship takes a week to charge its KF drive and dropships must be dumping an ungodly amount of delta v just to go from the Jumpship to Planetside and back.
Since the ships are capable of sustaining 1g of acceleration for weeks on end, without having massive radiators all over the place, it would appear that they're using not just torchdrives, but Epstien drives. As such, delta v would be a non-issue.