Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you are the type of Christian that thinks the book of revelations is going to occur in our lifetime, Israel needs to exist so God can destroy it.

Also wanting the Jews to get out of America and go to their own country is an idea that appeals to anti-semites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

If you are the type of Christian that thinks the book of revelations is going to occur in our lifetime, Israel needs to exist so God can destroy it.

Also wanting the Jews to get out of America and go to their own country is an idea that appeals to anti-semites.

Yeah I mean, supporting Israel so it can be Jesus' landing pad is really just using Jews as a commodity for you own weird cult. It's basically the "I know black people." of anti-semitism.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I mean, supporting Israel so it can be Jesus' landing pad is really just using Jews as a commodity for you own weird cult. It's basically the "I know black people." of anti-semitism.

Yeah pretty much. They believe that all the Jews in Israel are going to Hell after the rapture anyway, it's just a piece of the puzzle they need to fulfill the prophecy. I already know all the stuff you guys are saying, but they still hate Jews so it's still peculiar that they idolize Walter in the way they do.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Look bro anti-zionism is not anti-semetism there is a huge difference I just don't want (((them))) ruling the world anymore ok?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It’s ok because Walter isn’t a real Jew (ethnically); he’s converted so he could reconvert back to good old Catholicism. Then he wouldn’t be a stinking Jew anymore!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

therattle posted:

It’s ok because Walter isn’t a real Jew (ethnically); he’s converted so he could reconvert back to good old Catholicism. Then he wouldn’t be a stinking Jew anymore!

Ahem, Protestantism.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

therattle posted:

Yeah I was thinking that could also be a part of it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
My favorite bit with Walter is him gently correcting the dude’s “oriental” with “please, dude, the preferred nomenclature is Asian American,” and his admiration of the Viet Cong as “a worthy loving adversary.”

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah the John Milius school of conservativism veers more toward the hyper-libertarian. How much that's really just a Trojan horse for all the usual bugbears of the GOP is debatable, maybe.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I just was browsing soundtrack albums on Spotify and the soundtrack for RED caught my eye:
Retired Extremely Dangerous 2:26
Rotating Enforcement Device 1:42
Radical Early Discovery 3:29
Rapidly, Executioners Destroyed 0:31
Regular Easygoing Dudes 1:01
Rockets Eagerly Dispatched 1:33
Realtor’s Explosive Death 1:08
Russian Embassy Divertimento 1:43
Rendezvous, Encounter, Discussion 0:41
Rocking Escape Ditty 2:28
Rehash Every Detail 2:12
RED Evades Dunning 1:03
Reluctant Execution Decision 2:07
Ridiculously Extravagant Disguises 2:09
Revenge Es Delicioso 3:13
Really Elegant Diversion 1:59
Rescuing Ex-Agents Daily 2:00
Ruined Election Dinner 4:19
Restraining Elected Dignitaries 3:04
Relieved Embrace, Done 0:59

:hmmyes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

Yeah the John Milius school of conservativism veers more toward the hyper-libertarian. How much that's really just a Trojan horse for all the usual bugbears of the GOP is debatable, maybe.

Milius always had this kind of :tinfoil: theory that anyone who's sincerely right-wing should hate the government so much they they'd become anarchists.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

Ahem, Protestantism.

Ah, I thought someone in this here thread referred to Catholicism.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Skwirl posted:

These idiots are so sad they're pining for something not even in the Bible. The rapture is literally fan fiction based on fan art.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

The whole "Why can't the alt right understand that Walter is satirical" thing reminds me of military dudes getting amped up watching movies like Apocalypse Now.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Milius always had this kind of :tinfoil: theory that anyone who's sincerely right-wing should hate the government so much they they'd become anarchists.

I mean, he's not wrong. Also, AnCaps are effectively that.

plz dont pull out posted:

The whole "Why can't the alt right understand that Walter is satirical" thing reminds me of military dudes getting amped up watching movies like Apocalypse Now.

Asking these people to understand satire is like asking a conservative Christian to understand what Christ meant by feeding the poor and healing the sick and flipping the tables.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I met multiple people going to college on the GI bill that joined the marines because of Full Metal Jacket.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I met multiple people going to college on the GI bill that joined the marines because of Full Metal Jacket.

This is always the one I hear people reference in regards to this to the point I gotta wonder what got more people enlisted: FMJ or Top Gun?

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Asking these people to understand satire is like asking a conservative Christian to understand what Christ meant by feeding the poor and healing the sick and flipping the tables.

What I mean is I think they (might) get it the same way those military dudes understand that Apocalypse Now is supposed to be anti-war. They just don't care. People attach to things and characters that are supposed to be the bad all the time, like people seemed to do with Kilmonger in Black Panther. Like a major thing I learned from this forum was letting my own feelings and experiences inform how I felt about particular media, sometimes regardless of what its creators intended.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

This is always the one I hear people reference in regards to this to the point I gotta wonder what got more people enlisted: FMJ or Top Gun?

I'm just continously surprised at how many men associated masculinity with having a drill Sargent scream homophobic slurs at them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

the wobble posted:

The theater by the way, if you're ever around these parts, is a must-see in Brussels for film-fans, one of the best film museums in the world http://cinematek.be/.

Oh man, and they're doing a Mizoguchi retrospective too. Bloody Belgians, having all the luck.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

At least he had the decency to not do blackface.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mierenneuker posted:

I just was browsing soundtrack albums on Spotify and the soundtrack for RED caught my eye:
Retired Extremely Dangerous 2:26
Rotating Enforcement Device 1:42
Radical Early Discovery 3:29
Rapidly, Executioners Destroyed 0:31
Regular Easygoing Dudes 1:01
Rockets Eagerly Dispatched 1:33
Realtor’s Explosive Death 1:08
Russian Embassy Divertimento 1:43
Rendezvous, Encounter, Discussion 0:41
Rocking Escape Ditty 2:28
Rehash Every Detail 2:12
RED Evades Dunning 1:03
Reluctant Execution Decision 2:07
Ridiculously Extravagant Disguises 2:09
Revenge Es Delicioso 3:13
Really Elegant Diversion 1:59
Rescuing Ex-Agents Daily 2:00
Ruined Election Dinner 4:19
Restraining Elected Dignitaries 3:04
Relieved Embrace, Done 0:59

:hmmyes:

Someone had fun with that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, VRV is so much fun. It’s pretty badly organized, but I never know what I’m gonna find. Heavy Metal Parking Lot? A bunch of Nikkatsu Noirs? An animation VFX showcase reel from 1982? It’s just a wild array.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Someone had fun with that.

I approve. More people should have fun with this stuff rather than being so self-serious. Michael Giaccino is a master at it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i just realized that in addition to eating at my bucket list restaurant on my birthday trip to Chicago, Mandy is gonna be in theaters

hell drat yeah

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

i just realized that in addition to eating at my bucket list restaurant on my birthday trip to Chicago, Mandy is gonna be in theaters

hell drat yeah

As a person who's big on eating at new places I'm gonna need more information about this restaurant

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The better example is when Ted Cruz said that Homer Simpson is what republicans aspire to be. I'm not sure if he's just that stupid and awful or he's never actually watched the Simpsons, because Jesus Christ the only tv character I could think of as a worse idol would be Dennis Reynolds.

Skwirl posted:

I knew one of these in high school. I ran into him a couple years back and it doesn't sound like he thinks that was a good decision anymore.

What I mean is I think they (might) get it the same way those military dudes understand that Apocalypse Now is supposed to be anti-war. They just don't care. People attach to things and characters that are supposed to be the bad all the time, like people seemed to do with Kilmonger in Black Panther. Like a major thing I learned from this forum was letting my own feelings and experiences inform how I felt about particular media, sometimes regardless of what its creators intended.

Even if you're some fiercely pro-military patriot I can't even begin to fathom what about that movie would make someone think joining the Marines is at all a positive experience.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

As a person who's big on eating at new places I'm gonna need more information about this restaurant

Literal Best Restaurant in the World Alinea. I'm slightly more of a foodie than the rest of my family but my mom found a one-person reservation and thought I would like to do it regardless of whether there was anyone else there (which is correct)

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

CPL593H posted:

The better example is when Ted Cruz said that Homer Simpson is what republicans aspire to be. I'm not sure if he's just that stupid and awful or he's never actually watched the Simpsons, because Jesus Christ the only tv character I could think of as a worse idol would be Dennis Reynolds.

Wow, I hadn't even heard that happened. That's also pretty funny in light of Bush's "America is too much like the Simpsons and not enough like the Waltons."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

James Woods Fan posted:

Used to hang out with a sentient Trump loving turd that hated Jews and was bitter about only being an extra in movies (he was well over 400 pounds so I don't know what roles he was expecting?). He would rant about Jews running Hollywood and all that poo poo but then he'd be super supportive of Israel. I asked him how he could reconcile being a massive anti-semite while supporting Israel and his response was "Israel is where Jesus is going to reemerge". This was like 15 years ago and it was my first exposure to this idiocy.

Name post combo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Almost Blue posted:

Wow, I hadn't even heard that happened. That's also pretty funny in light of Bush's "America is too much like the Simpsons and not enough like the Waltons."

Compassionate conservatism

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Almost Blue posted:

Is it the Waltons or Little House on the Prairie that has a ton of really hosed up story arcs?

DC Murderverse posted:

Literal Best Restaurant in the World Alinea. I'm slightly more of a foodie than the rest of my family but my mom found a one-person reservation and thought I would like to do it regardless of whether there was anyone else there (which is correct)

Looks pretty wild

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Almost Blue posted:

Incidentally a selfish, belligerent, willfully ignorant, abusive alcoholic who basically slid through the cracks and has been successful in life because of white privilege is not only spot on for the GOP but such an incredible self own that I don't think you could come up with anything better if you wanted to make fun of these people.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cruz: "we should be like this is not the Simpsons: a xxx parody by new sensations"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If the Simpsons was made today there's no loving way they'd own a house.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CPL593H posted:

Incidentally a selfish, belligerent, willfully ignorant, abusive alcoholic who basically slid through the cracks and has been successful in life because of white privilege is not only spot on for the GOP but such an incredible self own that I don't think you could come up with anything better if you wanted to make fun of these people.

Don't you mean yellow privilege?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

There's a guy in my area that does this Simpsons bar trivia thing and I went to a few of them and it was fun the first couple times, but it gets increasingly awkward for all the reasons you'd expect and this most recent time I felt like I might cringe myself to death and I'm not sure I'll be going back.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lurdiak posted:

If the Simpsons was made today there's no loving way they'd own a house.

Yeah, it'd be Bob's Burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it'd be Bob's Burgers.

Yeah but funny.

• Locked thread