Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

Can't really put a price on safety. Headlights are on my list, it's just I have things that i have to deal with that are even more dangerous to ignore!

That's a brake line. Replaced them all with stainless lines today. Feels about the same pedalwise, but before I was unable to lock the wheels at speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

um excuse me posted:

That's a brake line. Replaced them all with stainless lines today. Feels about the same pedalwise, but before I was unable to lock the wheels at speed.

Sure you don't have air in the lines still? I've never had a car that it wasn't a pretty immediate difference in pedal stiffness. Unless you're running pads with very little bite, I guess.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I did an entire fluid flush as well. My hypothesis is garbage pads. The car has had a rough past, I wouldn't be surprised if a PO put the cheapest pads they could find on it. No matter though, those will be replaced as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Removing the heater hoses makes removing the cas so much easier. Luckilly they needed replacement anyway. O ring on the cas was rock hard.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So I finally got down to business and replaced my old and busted exhaust on my miata. I snagged a racing beat header, magnaflow cat, and cobalt mid pipe and muffler, along with all new gaskets and hardware.

I also snagged a new o2 sensor and used the old cruddy one to plug up the downstream hole which isin't used on my '95.

Overall the install went pretty smoothly, everything fit perfectly, and the hardest part was stripping the new o2 sensor wires with my busted rear end old wire stripper. It sounds ptetty good - not too farty but loud enough that it's fun - and best of all no rust or busted bolts or exhaust leaks!

The green '01 is my friends 6 speed special editon - she let her ex drive it for a bit and she blew the headgasket - the dealer wanted to just replace the whole engine so I figured I'd give it a shot - going to do a compression+leakdown test first and then start tearing it apart - hopefully it's just the radiator and gasket.

The other car is my new daily - '18 Civic Si, which I must say is an absolutely fantastic car.

Old and busted:

New Hotness:

Voltage fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 21, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to box off that intake to draw air from outside of the car? I can't think of a much worse place to have it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's a nice hot air intake you've got there.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
It came with the car - I'd like to reroute or box it out, but I'm curious as to how much power I'm actually losing if I just keep it as is.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Also - worth getting a megasquirt? I'd love to just tinker with it, but since I have an intake and exhaust I assume I could eek out at least a little extra power, or is it not worth it since I'm staying NA.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I eventually want to go catless with massive 300+ duration cams and ITBs. All NA and none of that is happening without megasquirt.

It's cool at the very least to take that extra step to learn how modern engines work. I think that's worth the $600 or so myself. A lot of people will disagree though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Voltage posted:

Also - worth getting a megasquirt? I'd love to just tinker with it, but since I have an intake and exhaust I assume I could eek out at least a little extra power, or is it not worth it since I'm staying NA.

It's not the worst thing you can spend money on (kyb shocks). There are some old dyno charts floating around of stock (or stockish) Miatas getting a good 10 ft-lbs+ across the entire range just switching out the ECU. A VVT motor with a tuned air intake (~22-24" length), RB header, and 2.25" exhaust is an easy recipe for ~140-150ish whp @ 120+ ft-lbs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got a cruise control switch and rewired my clutch switch to it. Have to hold cruise on to start the car instead of clutch. Should prevent 98.33% (repeating of course) of thefts.

Just get a cruise switch. Find the two pins that connect when you hit on and wire them to some spades and stick them into the cruise switch connector. Car just looks like it has factory cruise.

Maybe I shouldn't tell anyone lol

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 25, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Don Lapre posted:

Got a cruise control switch and rewired my clutch switch to it. Have to hold cruise on to start the car instead of clutch. Should prevent 98.33% (repeating of course) of thefts.

Just get a cruise switch. Find the two pins that connect when you hit on and wire them to some spades and stick them into the cruise switch connector. Car just looks like it has factory cruise.

Maybe I shouldn't tell anyone lol

I was thinking of doing something along these lines to mine if I ever upgrade the clutch, since FM says to mechanically bypass the clutch interlock to save the thrust bearings in the engine. If I use that clamp thing then I don't have cruise control anymore since the system will see the clutch pedal as always in.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Got a krikit gauge. Both accessory belts are way under tensioned. Hopefully fixing it fixes some noises I have.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I should probably get one as well. One of the belt's been squeaking when cold since forever but seems to become more frequent now. Guessing it's the alternator since the charging voltage drops while it slips.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Farking Bastage posted:

I hope you fine folk aren't too hostile towards those little turbo'ed mutants with the Italian bodywork. I bought one yesterday.

Found a dealership that had 20 of them, including 12 abarths. Hit them up on the last day of July and got this one fully optioned for 29k

That's gorgeous. If I didn't believe in having 3 car payments I'd be searching right now.

You guys think they'll ever update the 124 down the line (ie, get it more in line with the ND's hp) or is it a one-generation vehicle?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GD_American posted:

That's gorgeous. If I didn't believe in having 3 car payments I'd be searching right now.

You guys think they'll ever update the 124 down the line (ie, get it more in line with the ND's hp) or is it a one-generation vehicle?

I get the feeling it's a one and done. Look at the regular 500, they haven't really done anything with it since 2007.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, brought the NA to the shop because I can't figure out why my driveline creaks when I reverse or apply brakes. Checked the rotors for cracks, nothing. Checked the CV axle for slop and the boots for tears, nothing. Checked the wheel bearings for slop, nothing. It was driving me crazy so I enlisted professional help.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I did all the measuring over the weekend, and determined that if I rotate my Miata 90 degrees on wheel dollies and push it against the back wall of my two car garage I can (surprisingly comfortably) fit all three of our cars in our two car garage. Harbor Freight has two options:

These knock-off GoJaks which don't require a jack and just lift your car with a foot pedal: https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lbs-capacity-vehicle-positioning-wheel-dolly-62234.html

And these much cheaper versions that require the car to be jacked up first: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html

I'm leaning towards the GoJak knock-offs largely because all the videos I've seen make it seem like way less screwing around to just pump the pedal a few times on each wheel but because of how I'll need to position the car against the wall to make everything fit I'm not going to be able to lower one side down so it'll stay up on the dollies over the winter. I keep seeing lots of people online saying that this is going to gently caress up my tires and cause flat spots where it's resting on the two rollers of the dollies, but I haven't seen anyone that this has actually happened to.

Is this something to worry about at all? Or am I correct in my assumption that modern tires sitting on dollies like this for ~5 months won't result in any damage that doesn't just immediately work itself out as soon as the tires warm up after a few minutes of driving?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just rolled it back and forth every few weeks, but that's probably not an option for you...

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They heavily salt roads here so I have winter cars that are already rusting, I park my Miata for 5-6 months at a time with no flat spotting, when I had a Lotus Esprit and it was only driven a few hundred miles a year it got flat spotted tires that needed replacing.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Yeah I'm in the Chicago 'burbs where they use so much salt on the roads it's borderline unbelievable.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
Unless your tires are under inflated or already on their last legs you will be fine.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rhyno posted:

Tomorrow I will give the card a very thorough cleaning and then wipe it down with mineral spirits. I'm going to pull some of the small trim pieces to experiment with as far as painting/vinyl dye to see how black I can get this.

So how is this going? I'm about to start tearing my NA apart to replace the absolutely disgusting tan carpet with black and I'm going to change the whole thing to black I'm getting the seats reupholstered in black cloth with red stitching :getin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BloodBag posted:

So how is this going? I'm about to start tearing my NA apart to replace the absolutely disgusting tan carpet with black and I'm going to change the whole thing to black I'm getting the seats reupholstered in black cloth with red stitching :getin:

Had some life stuff pop up (nothing bad) so the interior project has been on the backburner a bit. Still haven't pulled the dash and am still a bit hesitant to do so. I hit a NC owner up on Instagram and he's been giving me tons of help with some stylistic changes I want to make. And I now qualify to work overtime at work so I'll be doing that every other weekend so even less time to work on it. I did pull my carpets and while I was originally going to replace it there
s only a tiny hole from my heel so I'm still going with the nice rubber mats.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
About to start tearing in to my friends '01 - long story short the radiator blew and it overheated, she took it to a shop which told her it had a blown headgasket and needed a new engine and also a new subframe - so I figured I'd give a shot and see if it just needs a rad and headgasket (and timing belt while I have it apart.

I just plugged all the wiring back in so I can do a compression test, and if it's no good I'll just pull the head and check for damage. Any tips?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If it overheated, there's a good chance the head is done; if it was dieseling on your friend, it's most likely toast. But you won't know this until you start pulling it apart and send it off to a machine shop.

Junkyard longblocks should be in the $800-1200 range. I know a lot of people have had luck with motors from Japan, too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Finally cured my over 5k rpm metallic noise. loving factory exhaust. Put a OEM replacement on and noise is all gone.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
My 2003's A/C is short cycling, about 5 seconds on and 5 seconds off. Cant keep up in 90+ heat. Seems like the passenger side radiator fan isn't coming on at all, which is supposed to be the one that comes on with the AC system according to the internet. So I'm thinking fan, relay, or electronics. What are the steps to diagnose whats broken?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mcgreenvegtables posted:

My 2003's A/C is short cycling, about 5 seconds on and 5 seconds off. Cant keep up in 90+ heat. Seems like the passenger side radiator fan isn't coming on at all, which is supposed to be the one that comes on with the AC system according to the internet. So I'm thinking fan, relay, or electronics. What are the steps to diagnose whats broken?

You probably need refrigerant. What it's almost definitely doing is:

1. Sees pressure on low side and starts compressor
  2. Sucks the minuscule amount of refrigerant out of the low side
  3. Low pressure cut off trips and the compressor turns off
  4. Pressure equalizes back to low pressure side
  5. GOTO 1

Go put a gauge on the refrigerant line and report back.

Note: if your fan is straight up not working it could be doing the same thing in reverse after the ac has had a while (1 min?) to overheat the system. Ac would still work on the freeway and I don't think it would cycle that fast.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 2, 2018

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

mcgreenvegtables posted:

The fan is the problem here. "Fan" fuse feeds another "AC Fan"? fuse. The fan motor itself may be bad or may not be getting a ground. "Engine" fuse powers the relay, ECM activates it. The relay itself may be bad.

If you can, use some wires to put power to the fan directly, you'll know right away if the fan motor is shot. Also start it up, put the AC on, and check for power and ground at the fan plug.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 2, 2018

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well gently caress you to traffic! :argh:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Does the NB have that diagnostics port? On the NA if you jumper GND to TFA, it'll turn on both fans if the key is in the on position.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If you're playing around with jumpers, I think you can connect the wires going into the low pressure cutoff switch to each other with the ac on and it should stay on to test if low refrigerant is the problem. Don't do this for any longer than you need to because you're basically running the compressor without proper lubrication.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well gently caress you to traffic! :argh:

So this is, according to the shop that had a look at it, a 2500€ repair job. Lets see if the insurance is willing to pay that or if they are trying to get it written off as totaled...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shai-Hulud posted:

So this is, according to the shop that had a look at it, a 2500€ repair job. Lets see if the insurance is willing to pay that or if they are trying to get it written off as totaled...

Is that repair quote based on them buying you a new NB? Because 2.5k will get you a tidy one.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Theophany posted:

Is that repair quote based on them buying you a new NB? Because 2.5k will get you a tidy one.

Most of it is painting half of the car because of the scratches around the rear lights. But around here I'd be hard pressed to find a halfway decent roadworthy NB with the 1.9l engine that's not rusted to hell or leaking like crazy for 2,5k.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shai-Hulud posted:

Most of it is painting half of the car because of the scratches around the rear lights. But around here I'd be hard pressed to find a halfway decent roadworthy NB with the 1.9l engine that's not rusted to hell or leaking like crazy for 2,5k.

Yikes, I didn't realise the market was that lofty in Germany.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Theophany posted:

Yikes, I didn't realise the market was that lofty in Germany.

Yeah i had a look around and can only find one car in 100km range thats cheaper than 2,5k (1,6k to be precise) and still has a valid TÜV inspection. And you can see the rust gnawing on that one from the pictures alone. After that you get a couple ones at 2,5k that need their TÜV redone so who knows how hosed those are and then the prices go up to 4-5k fast.

Im' thinking about just doing the repair myself and pocketing the money though. Changing the bumper can't be that hard. I just have to find someone to paint it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
What's the best NA replacement battery these days?