Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

Lol I finally just listened to them and holy poo poo is it not what I expected. The name made me think of something more like some famous skateboarder’s vanity math rock band.

It's a reference to Henry Rollins' "Kill Everything Now Mode"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
everything but 'Success' is good IMO -- I have a particular soft spot for Venerable because I saw them on that tour

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's a reference to Henry Rollins' "Kill Everything Now Mode"

That’s cool I guess but ends up sounding pretty corny. Kill Everything Now would have been better but to each his own, they sound good :v:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
yeah but when youre at the bar wearing your cool KEN Mode shirt and that girl asks u about the KEN, u get a chance to blow it right then and there!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I always figured it was a reference to Divine's political beliefs

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

I always figured it was a reference to Divine's political beliefs

That would be ESN Mode (Eat poo poo Now)

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Weaponized Cum posted:

yeah but when youre at the bar wearing your cool KEN Mode shirt and that girl asks u about the KEN, u get a chance to blow it right then and there!

Gotta wear that unlicensed Ken shirt they used to sell on tour, that way everyone will think you're just a cool guy who likes Street Fighter.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Juaguocio posted:

Gotta wear that unlicensed Ken shirt they used to sell on tour, that way everyone will think you're just a cool guy who likes Street Fighter.

Oh poo poo I need that without even knowing what it looks like

Also lol @ me getting owned doubly by skipping the band and then not realizing the name is a god drat Henry Rollins link

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cool.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh poo poo I need that without even knowing what it looks like

Also lol @ me getting owned doubly by skipping the band and then not realizing the name is a god drat Henry Rollins link

As I recall I got it on their 2015 tour.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The new Clutch album is about as much of a Clutch album as it can get.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Saw the Sumac show in Boston last night, really great lineup. Infernal Coil was a huge wall of black death and killed it. Dalek was really cool, the beats are dark and heavy and makes me want to see more metal/hip hop combo shows with other groups that have the same sort of vibe going on. And Sumac was incredible. I think this is the fourth or fifth time I've seen them, and this was probably the best they've been. The parts of the show where they (seemingly at least, though it could all be rehearsed) just jam and do freeform doom are great. They also played Rigid Man, which I hadn't seen them play yet and it was outstanding. Nick Yacyshyn is a beast on the drums, and Brian from Russian Circles has a killer tone with that bass, and of course Aaron is a madman. Nate Newton happened to be at the show, which was cool, and Aaron mentioned Caleb Scofield at the end of the night, which is something that obviously still moves him, as you could see in his eyes.

What a loving show. See it if you can.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know that the Encyclopedia Metallum says they're not metal but holy poo poo Royal Thunder pretty goddamned good live.

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Shakenbaker posted:

Royal Thunder pretty goddamned good live

My band was supposed to open for them last month but they were stopped at the border & the show was cancelled. So I still haven't seen them live and every time I hear somebody say this I die a little more inside. Like drat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LkiMNK57l4

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I didn't really dig Dalek when I saw them and honestly the juxtaposition of dark synth music and sludge music kind of left me feeling lukewarm about the first Days of Darkness.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Crouton posted:

My band was supposed to open for them last month but they were stopped at the border & the show was cancelled. So I still haven't seen them live and every time I hear somebody say this I die a little more inside. Like drat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LkiMNK57l4

Not to salt the wound but seriously Miny's seriously incredible to hear live. Their encore was just she and Will doing Plans together, and it took the sting out of probably never seeing Zoroaster play again.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Crouton posted:

Added to my bandcamp wish list. Thanks!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Added to my bandcamp wish list. Thanks!

Yeah same. This is so good.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Shakenbaker posted:

I know that the Encyclopedia Metallum says they're not metal but holy poo poo Royal Thunder pretty goddamned good live.

Good God - I'm extremely not a fan of EM-type gatekeeping on poo poo like this. There are some serious, crazy logic loops you can create when defining music based on arbitrary, historically based genre hallmarks.

Perfectly, it reminds me of a rant by one of the hosts of Fried Lightning on this week's episode (which is also about Dopethrone, excellently): https://soundcloud.com/user-758985205/podcast-ep-11-electric-wizard-dopethrone https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fried-lightning/id1374747745?mt=2

It seems like they are getting rid of the stupid voice modulation poo poo after some complaints by fans. I kind of like it, but I had a friend tell me it makes the podcast literally unlistenable, so different strokes I guess :shrug:

oh wait also THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZnG8-fgc8

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey firebad do u by any chance enjoy the podcast "fried lightning"?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
EM is dumb about a lot of poo poo but Royal Thunder never really sounded like a metal band to me. It’s not nearly as weird as keeping Between the Buried and Me or Rosetta out.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Hey firebad do u by any chance enjoy the podcast "fried lightning"?

Yeah - I was wondering how long it would take to get a response like this. Obviously, I do, and also probably obviously, the dudes who make it are friends that I'd like to help, because they appear to be SUPER lovely at publicizing the thing they make. If folks here think my constant advocacy is annoying, I can totally stop, they just seem to frequently talk about poo poo relevant to this thread.

EM is dumb about a lot of poo poo but Royal Thunder never really sounded like a metal band to me. It’s not nearly as weird as keeping Between the Buried and Me or Rosetta out.

Also, yeah - I don't think this particular case is as relevant as the ones you mentioned, and I'm probably just a little too aggressively anti-gatekeeping, in general.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Melvins with Al Cisneros doing an Ozzy impression- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

love it

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

:vince:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Really hope that EP has an original

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I wasn't lazy and went to go see that Sumac/Dalek/Infernal Coil show last night.. that was some kinda sonic journey. There was a sizeable part of the crowd that came just for Dalek then left after them. That was fine as the venue was a goddamn hotbox as it was. I bought Sumac's new CD and listened to it in the car on the way home.. could pick out a couple parts that they played live from it, it's pretty drat good.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
lol aaron must be buddies or fans of dalek's because i saw then open for ISIS in 2002/2003 when they were touring for Oceanic and it was awesome

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Same in 06 for whatever album was out then. Saw them at black cat with Zombi and Dalek. Good show

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Detective Thompson posted:

Saw the Sumac show in Boston last night, really great lineup. Infernal Coil was a huge wall of black death and killed it. Dalek was really cool, the beats are dark and heavy and makes me want to see more metal/hip hop combo shows with other groups that have the same sort of vibe going on. And Sumac was incredible. I think this is the fourth or fifth time I've seen them, and this was probably the best they've been. The parts of the show where they (seemingly at least, though it could all be rehearsed) just jam and do freeform doom are great. They also played Rigid Man, which I hadn't seen them play yet and it was outstanding. Nick Yacyshyn is a beast on the drums, and Brian from Russian Circles has a killer tone with that bass, and of course Aaron is a madman. Nate Newton happened to be at the show, which was cool, and Aaron mentioned Caleb Scofield at the end of the night, which is something that obviously still moves him, as you could see in his eyes.

What a loving show. See it if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNc76Jx0P0

Nick's a great guy, and pretty much lives to drum. You can usually find him at Rufus Drum Shop here in Vancouver.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah that dude is also in baptists, right? he is a maniac behind the kit

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Between the Buried and Me

haha this is ridiculous, haven't they basically been a Dream Theater+Mr Bungle tribute for like a decade now. are basketball shorts really not that metal lmao

edit: i realize this isn't the thread for it but golly. i'm guessing this is some sort of decade-plus inside baseball distaste for metalcore drama

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 10, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
their album from 2015 (Coma Ecliptic) is very much that, their other material not so much

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

edit: i realize this isn't the thread for it but golly. i'm guessing this is some sort of decade-plus inside baseball distaste for metalcore drama

That's correct. Sometime in the late 2000s they decided that metalcore bands were more than 50% core or something and removed most of them. They're still off even though they haven't really been metalcore in like a decade. Also there are a bunch of bands that aren't metal at all by modern standards.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I used to love BTBAM, they disappeared up their own asses after The Great Misdirect. Colors and their S/T album are classics IMO

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I used to love BTBAM, they disappeared up their own asses after The Great Misdirect. Colors and their S/T album are classics IMO

You should listen to the Parallax EP and also their double album from this year, very much a return to form imo. I'm not a huge fan of Parallax II but the EP is their most technical work by far

(full disclosure they are my favorite band by a huge margin)

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I love Bong Toke Bastard Amplifier Mammoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
new Rezn is lit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIU6qlHwgdc

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Love these guys. They really do well at the atmospheric aspect of their sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
it'a like someone took all of King Gizzard & The Wizard Lizard's happy pills away and replaced it with a bad dmt trip