Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

psydude posted:

The UK has charged two Russian intelligence officers with trying to murder the Skripals.

Of course they got on a plane back to Russia as soon as the deed was done, so unless they're dumb enough to travel somewhere with extradition, nothing will ever happen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/world/europe/russia-uk-novichok-skripal.html

Russia taking the usual line of “nope, never heard of ‘em, wasn’t us”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

"The Orange Id is interfering with our ability to quietly turn the country into a dystopian libertarian hellscape"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Wtf was going on here? Crazy chinese protesters?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5hyEUFbfg

Someone read him the op ed

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's Pence.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Op-Ed motivations are slightly odd. Clearly proud of stuff like the tax cuts, DOD funding, other generic conservative points. Says they manage the president and work despite him to get these conservative things through. Says president overreacting or acting impulsively is a problem. Knows full well the president is sensitive to leakers.

So what’s the motivation to even write it? Simple self-importance? Wanting a “normal” conservative job in case he/she gets canned?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The Op-Ed uses words and phrases similar to Pence. It is indeed entirely possible that it's not Pence himself but one of his staffers, or someone just trying to do a frame job.

Theory: Dems retake the house and tie/take the Senate. Pence 25ths, Dems are onboard, far fewer Republicans have to sign off on it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Wtf was going on here? Crazy chinese protesters?

Yah. You can see government thugs coming in to break them out of it and they are fighting back.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd kind of guess Kelly. Stupid enough to be proud of some of it, but embarrassed by the more public screw ups, and padding his legacy/parachute by having some weak anonymous letter to point to if anyone calls him a bitch.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

The Op-Ed motivations are slightly odd. Clearly proud of stuff like the tax cuts, DOD funding, other generic conservative points. Says they manage the president and work despite him to get these conservative things through. Says president overreacting or acting impulsively is a problem. Knows full well the president is sensitive to leakers.

So what’s the motivation to even write it? Simple self-importance? Wanting a “normal” conservative job in case he/she gets canned?

Vasudus posted:

It's Pence.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'm reasonably sure that Pence initiating a 25th against Trump would be political suicide at best. He can't command the GOP id like Trump can and any Republican agreeing with removing Trump will be crucified by the QAnon loving base.

Trump has to either step down or be voted out. Impeachment and the 25th are completely out of the question because the GOP is too terrified of losing their careers/pissing off a mentally unstable base that believes they're under attack.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1037464177269514240?s=21

:thunk:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pence is the only one in the room who can't be fired and was smart enough not to touch the Russia poop and stands to gain from Trump's removal and has enough basic literacy to have written that.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
pence was like brought on by paul manafort though I thought??

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

It's Pence.

I'd put my money on this. The article is too simply worded to be from a general imo.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My guess is either Dan Coates or Nikki Haley.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
https://twitter.com/jamescdownie/status/1037441482469335043

This is why I think it's Pence, someone very close to Pence, or someone trying to frame Pence.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Maybe it’s some lower level of the seniors who wants their boss fired.

Or someone who loves chaos mode Trump and wants the moderates poo poo on more.

Or maybe it’s an intelligent rat who cools delicious food?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Keep dreaming. Trump is here till 2024.

Embrace the suck.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

... ‘kay?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Love how the president usually tries to discredit whomever publishes an article with anonymous sources but this time he immediately confirms that he believes it's real

He must be loving furious

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Pence talked about horses too much and someone wants him out of there

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

Keep dreaming. Trump is here till 2024.

Embrace the suck.

The whole white house is currently pointing fingers at each other, Donnie is alternating between Not Mad and Really Not Allcaps Mad, and everyone that touches the presidency is absolutely miserable.

What I'm saying is that there are upsides to the suck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1037464177269514240

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

https://twitter.com/jamescdownie/status/1037441482469335043

This is why I think it's Pence, someone very close to Pence, or someone trying to frame Pence.
He really can't touch Pence so getting him murderously mad at him could be hilarious. Maybe he'll send him to pick up McDonald's in Homs.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It’ll be funny if Pence gets poo poo on just based on some senior speechwriter or comma director’s use of “lodestar”

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mister Sinewave posted:

It was a long time ago I guess but I honestly don't remember weird political stuff or anything in Starship Troopers, it seemed like a "wholesome" becoming-a-man-in-the-army sort of story because spaceships and power armor and finally feeling like I know what I'm doing in an environment of hardship and danger (but not too much danger to me personally) and dropping to a planet in power armor and maybe shoot a bug in the face or something.

Unless that was the satirical part since Heinlein knew perfectly well what war was like, but I really didn't get any fashy stuff I guess.

I'm guessing you assumed the wholesomeness included how all the soldiers were prime examples of masculinity and smart, honourable men while women can only be pilots and exist for the military to make male soldiers to feel the need to protect the otherwise defenseless female? also iirc only vets could vote

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THAT IS TREASON DONNY

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Gaslighting Trump into killing himself seems like the best outcome for the GOP at this point because then they get someone competent to push their hellworld agenda and get a martyr and get to blame the liberal media for all of it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

THAT IS TREASON DONNY
Find him and execute him in the Rose Garden, Obama wouldn't have the balls..

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Gaslighting Trump into killing himself seems like the best outcome for the GOP at this point because then they get someone to competent to push their hellworld agenda and get a martyr and get to blame the liberal media for all of it.

If somebody takes over for Trump they are going to be the lamest duck imaginable. There's no way the GOP Congress would hold together after losing the guy they spent 2+ years rallying their base behind.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Eej posted:

I'm guessing you assumed the wholesomeness included how all the soldiers were prime examples of masculinity and smart, honourable men while women can only be pilots and exist for the military to make male soldiers to feel the need to protect the otherwise defenseless female? also iirc only vets could vote

yeah it was the whole "Service Guarantees Citizenship" thing. This is presented as an ideal solution in the novel. Which really kinda blows if you can't serve for any number of reasons. It's pretty hosed up!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1037468276014637056?s=21

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

loving followed

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

loving followed

Yeah same

Edit : my wife and I buy all of those 70s cook book. Got some weird cocaine one with like titties that I should post

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mods changed my name posted:

yeah it was the whole "Service Guarantees Citizenship" thing. This is presented as an ideal solution in the novel. Which really kinda blows if you can't serve for any number of reasons. It's pretty hosed up!

The novel makes it clear you don’t have to be in the military; you can do your time in the Space Peace Corp or Space Civilian Conservation Corps.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Ah ok, tbf it's been a long time so I appreciate the correction

Edit: but none of that really contradicts what I said

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what is going onright now

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I think this works by jeopardy rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Someone told him about the 25th amendment.

• Locked thread