Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

that's a big yard

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Protip: If you are cutting down a door, but also flipping the sill, make sure you leave an additional inch or so of the door for the increased gap.

Time to go buy another door, probably. :suicide:

Other than that, it looks pretty good. (I still need some shims, put on new trim, and paint everything)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah buy the right one this time. Why on earth would you do what you’re doing?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The right one doesn't exist, it's a doorway created through hate and incompetence from a PO and it's requiring substantial work to get the door in there.

If you're referring to flipping the sill, that's because left handed outswing doors are few and far between and heinously expensive. I can buy 2 of the "wrong" doors with a frame and still save money. Now that I've got a frame installed though, I should be able to source a second hand door to cut down without too much trouble. If it comes down to it. I'm hoping I can just find a longer door bottom to take up the slack.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

The right one doesn't exist, it's a doorway created through hate and incompetence from a PO and it's requiring substantial work to get the door in there.

If you're referring to flipping the sill, that's because left handed outswing doors are few and far between and heinously expensive. I can buy 2 of the "wrong" doors with a frame and still save money. Now that I've got a frame installed though, I should be able to source a second hand door to cut down without too much trouble. If it comes down to it. I'm hoping I can just find a longer door bottom to take up the slack.

I had two outswing exterior fiberglass prehung doors installed (one was left hand one right hand but no difference in price) for $1000 total. It was impossible to find anything in stock at a big box store, and I even tried ordering custom ordering through Lowe's and they took 6 weeks and screwed up the order so I just had it refunded. Once I went to a small local door store, they came out, quoted it and had them both installed within a week.

I had to paint the doors though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I see it’s under 80” assuming the one on the left is, so I get it now. I was thinking when you said flip the sill that you were turning it upside down instead of inside out. That would have made your handles super high instead of extra low like they are now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Droo posted:

Once I went to a small local door store, they came out, quoted it and had them both installed within a week.

I had to paint the doors though.

This is the way to go. They will just ask you which of the features off the matrix you want, in out, left right, and a door will appear. It was under a grand installed for a prehung half light integrated blinds exterior prehung fiberglass door. I think ours is right/in. They just build a part number out of the catalog and actually know what they are doing.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

that's a big yard

I love my yard

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CloFan posted:

I love my yard

Where the hell do you live, Nebraska?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Arkansas :razorfront:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

H110Hawk posted:

This is the way to go. They will just ask you which of the features off the matrix you want, in out, left right, and a door will appear. It was under a grand installed for a prehung half light integrated blinds exterior prehung fiberglass door. I think ours is right/in. They just build a part number out of the catalog and actually know what they are doing.

If this solution doesn't last I'll persue this route further. Part of my problem was that I started this after dealing with all the plumbing tomfoolery so I was pretty much in a "gently caress everyone I'll just do it myself" mood. All in all I'm in this doorway like $200 so far, so if I can get a year or whatever use out of it it's totally worth it. Especially since I'll probably get all my exterior doors replaced too at some point. Maybe I can get a discount or something.

E: that yard above owns

e2: Here is today's (first) horrifying home discovery. One of the old garage door springs has rubbed through the outer insulation of a live. Why is there a wire on the side of the garage wall like that? Where does it go? Yay homeownership.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 19, 2018

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

CloFan posted:

I love my yard

same

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got the initial first floor concept back to start thinking through ideas. Adding on the new master bath/closet, and turning the existing bath/closet into laundry/storage. We definitely have enough room in the yard for the addition though we’ll need to move the playground about 20 feet.

The bonus room upstairs is yet to come.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hello M'Closet

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, gently caress. I thought I could install the dishwasher myself, but, uh...

It was direct wired, and there was a cable coming from the wall under the garbage disposal switch and another one coming up from the basement. Both of these were peeled back and, for some reason, each had a totally exposed copper wire, the two were tied together, and the whole thing wrapped liberally in tape.

I...think they were somehow running power to the garbage disposal via the connection going to the dishwasher.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That ground, and it should be tied together. But in a box.

If that's the worst you found it's not all that bad.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I need to go cut a hole in my (old) roof, before they put the ceiling up.

Also run some bootleg electrical :grovertoot:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Had a power surge yesterday (ATT apparently cut through a power line). Both AC units, fridge, two computers, two printers, all sorts of other crap are dead. Yikes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gvibes posted:

Had a power surge yesterday (ATT apparently cut through a power line). Both AC units, fridge, two computers, two printers, all sorts of other crap are dead. Yikes.

Yow. Is this the sort of thing that the utility is on the hook for and can then get it back from AT&T?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Yow. Is this the sort of thing that the utility is on the hook for and can then get it back from AT&T?
Yeah, I'm not sure how this will work. All my neighbors seem to have suffered significant harm, so we could probably lawyer up together.

Aside:
- wirecutter top rated surge protector both protected sensitive electronics and survived
- a cheaper tripp-lite protected attached electronics but died in the process

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So there seems to be a possum that lives in the vicinity. I notice him on some of my outdoor camera footage at night. I can't tell where it comes from, since Nest only captures short chunks of video, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't hang around or anything, although there are parts of the backyard not covered by the camera.

Should I be worried? I know possums carry disease, but I also don't want to disturb wildlife much.

I have an old storage shed in the back that has a bunch of worn down wooden cabinets, and a few of them seemed to have been chewed into from the back wall last time I looked. Might the possum be living there? Any way to check safely?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

gvibes posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how this will work. All my neighbors seem to have suffered significant harm, so we could probably lawyer up together.

Aside:
- wirecutter top rated surge protector both protected sensitive electronics and survived
- a cheaper tripp-lite protected attached electronics but died in the process

The Tripp-lite, like most surge suppressors, likely uses a varistor for overvoltage protection (the resettable breaker is for overcurrent protection). This is a sacrificial part that burns/melts internally to create an open circuit very quickly.

You are going to want to replace any surge protection or battery backup device that survived this, because they are likely not long for this world anymore.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

So there seems to be a possum that lives in the vicinity. I notice him on some of my outdoor camera footage at night. I can't tell where it comes from, since Nest only captures short chunks of video, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't hang around or anything, although there are parts of the backyard not covered by the camera.

Should I be worried? I know possums carry disease, but I also don't want to disturb wildlife much.

Possums eat a poo poo-ton of ticks, so unless you legit think you're going to come into contact with one and get bitten or something, you should just leave it be. It's doing more to help than hurt.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I have an old storage shed in the back that has a bunch of worn down wooden cabinets, and a few of them seemed to have been chewed into from the back wall last time I looked. Might the possum be living there? Any way to check safely?

They are unlikely to carry rabies, which is the thing you want to be worried about. They're creepy little buggers, and like spiders, good if you can stand them. It's very likely to hiss at you if you come near it, so wear long clothes, tuck em into your shoes, and prod things with a stick.

https://opossumsocietyus.org/faq-opossum/

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Possums eat a poo poo-ton of ticks, so unless you legit think you're going to come into contact with one and get bitten or something, you should just leave it be. It's doing more to help than hurt.

H110Hawk posted:

They are unlikely to carry rabies, which is the thing you want to be worried about. They're creepy little buggers, and like spiders, good if you can stand them. It's very likely to hiss at you if you come near it, so wear long clothes, tuck em into your shoes, and prod things with a stick.

https://opossumsocietyus.org/faq-opossum/

Apparently they eat roaches too.

Sounds good to me!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just to be clear, you're in North America and are talking about an Opossum, right?

Anyway yeah they're actually cute and good and harmless and will play dead rather than risk a fight, but if you disturb them they're more likely to just amble away than do either.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Just to be clear, you're in North America and are talking about an Opossum, right?

Anyway yeah they're actually cute and good and harmless and will play dead rather than risk a fight, but if you disturb them they're more likely to just amble away than do either.

Yes, I'm in Central Texas.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

gvibes posted:

Blew the blowers in both AC units. $3200. So it begins.

According to the HVAC guy, the thermostats of my neighbor's house literally blew off the walls.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gvibes posted:

According to the HVAC guy, the thermostats of my neighbor's house literally blew off the walls.

:stare:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

gvibes posted:

Who do you call when something like this happens? Your insurance company and make them deal with ATT? Or your power company? Or do you just have to bite the bullet and hope ATT reimburses you?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Home owners insurance should cover it. They'll go after any responsible parties, but ultimately that's what you pay them for.

Also is the ATT worker ded? Cause drat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stories like that are why I bought a nice single-outlet surge protector for my fancy new fridge.

No idea how you would go about protecting the AC though

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

TheWevel posted:

Who do you call when something like this happens? Your insurance company and make them deal with ATT? Or your power company? Or do you just have to bite the bullet and hope ATT reimburses you?
I don't even know. I'm going to start with homeowners. Will submit at least the deductible to the power company as well. My deductible is high as hell too - 2500.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Seems like an opportune time to ask: are whole-home surge protectors worth it? Every time I look in to it I seem to end up finding conflicting info.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Seems like an opportune time to ask: are whole-home surge protectors worth it? Every time I look in to it I seem to end up finding conflicting info.
I am getting a quote!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Wouldn't it just be more convenient than circuit breaker box or fuse box? I would expect those to act the same way for spikes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I had these lightning protector boxes in my breaker box but I just assumed they were some snake oil scam that electricians sold the previous owner.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fill your breaker box with mineral oil and seal it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

If you know your way around an electrical panel they're pretty cheap to put in. Turn off house power, add a two pole 50 amp breaker, connect wires, turn power back on.

I went with an EATON CHSPT2ULTRA, it's around $120.

I can't see how it would be worse then *not* having it. Maybe it does nothing? Maybe it saves everything else in the house from getting destroyed.