Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightWonder
Nov 15, 2015

"I Use Psychic To Put Stuff In The Toilet."
Then if I may interject here. I've seen you post in a lot of the GW threads and it comes out that you have a very love/hate relationship here. If you like the models, go ahead and build a paint them. If you like the lore, feel free to read the books and if you like the game then go ahead and play. But you just disagreeing with one thing or another, changing those likes and hates on a whim. Have you ever taken a moment to step back and look at this hobby and thought "is this something i enjoy our of habit or is this something I actually like?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
We're here to discuss gw AoS dude not my idiosyncrasies. I can do as I enjoy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

For_Great_Justice posted:

We're here to discuss gw AoS dude not my idiosyncrasies. I can do as I enjoy.

making GBS threads up threads disrupts other people's posting. Don't be shocked when you're called out for toxic discussion in a discussion forum.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

This thread is a discussion regarding AoS an subjects surrounding it. If you don't my posting please feel free to ignore it but this isn't a discuss For_Great_Justice thread, feel free to make one for that subject.

I'll stick to AoS talk from here on out, let's keep personal thoughts about posters out of the thread.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

This thread is a discussion regarding AoS an subjects surrounding it. If you don't my posting please feel free to ignore it but this isn't a discuss For_Great_Justice thread, feel free to make one for that subject.

I'll stick to AoS talk from here on out, let's keep personal thoughts about posters out of the thread.

If you're willing to learn to post right then fine but dont play the master puppeteer like this discussion is unprovoked, Jesus dude.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Dakka?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Have you ever considered that maybe- just maybe- if you're being told to gently caress off from multiple threads for doing this exact thing that maybe the point of commonality is not the threads themselves?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

You know the more I think about the realm and Endless spells the more I like them, way easier than giving every faction or subfaction their own version under another name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am interested in how Beasts of Chaos are going to be presented. When their book comes out.

Will it be Legions of Nagash like, or will it just merge the factions.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 4, 2018

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't even know they were sub divided to start. It'd be cool if they pull it together. I can't imagine too many tribes existing next to each other without merging by way of blunt object to an opposings chief's head.

Beasts are cool.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Quit making GBS threads up my thread with your disingenuous bullshit, rear end in a top hat.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Yeah, they keep doing this same thing in all the GW threads. It's a boring gimmick.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Love to make bad decisions.

(I'm making a mixed Destruction army.)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I think the AoS lore being bad is worth talking about considering the designers of the game actively encourage you to create your own stories in their world

If the lore sucks and has no good guys, how the hell are people supposed to relate to it and forge their narratives?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

I think the AoS lore being bad is worth talking about considering the designers of the game actively encourage you to create your own stories in their world

If the lore sucks and has no good guys, how the hell are people supposed to relate to it and forge their narratives?

The lore doesn't suck anymore, and GW is actively making it better. And it isn't that there aren't any "good" guys, it's just that nobody is without a skeleton in their closet (at the very least.) Stormcast, like Space Marines, vary in their level of zeal and connection to normal humans. The Dwarfs (sky and fire) are greedy, but still have a sense of honor. The Idoneth are tragic elves who don't like what they are, but also don't just want to curl up and die. Lizards are pretty much good guys, fighting Chaos in all its forms. Free People are just normies trying to get by.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am a big fan of the lore in AoS 2.0. Just presenting the planes as huge places that get weirder the farther out you go while also giving examples of things that exist there is the best part about the new edition. Copying 40ks freedom to do whatever because the scope of the world is so huge, while also giving you concrete places to care about if you don't want to craft your own original stuff is great.

I also like that it is fighting back against Evil. My Chaos army controls some region of Ghur where I am up to no good while my buddy who plays Stormcast is the force sent to liberate the region and banish my army back to Chaos Dimension. Nice and simple, and if I want I can give my characters Ghur items to increase the flavor.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Whether or not the lore is pure literary genius or the same as every other fantasy narrative is irrelevant, the one trick low effort lovely trolling (I hope it was trolling because gently caress me would a real conversation with him be boring as gently caress) got old many, many posts ago across both threads.

FlamingFigs
Oct 22, 2015

These posts be hella gay

richyp posted:

Whether or not the lore is pure literary genius or the same as every other fantasy narrative is irrelevant, the one trick low effort lovely trolling (I hope it was trolling because gently caress me would a real conversation with him be boring as gently caress) got old many, many posts ago across both threads.

I imagine your refering to For_Great_Justice. If you are, sadly no it was not trolling. I once knew him, he actually belives this. I wish i was kidding

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
AoS lore is extremely stupid fun and GW seems to have embraced how goofy the setting is. How vast it's all become also gives fantastic amounts of room for writing lore and fun stuff for your dudes if you're into that sorta thing. I'm slowly writing-up backstory for my Kharadon's having a traveling sky flotilla with some Stormcast buddies that have been stationed as the flotilla is large enough it's kinda become a town, and the Kharadon's keep moving into Shyish because they're hoping to get a payout for bringing the Stormcast to where the souls are.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Lore is lore dudes enjoy it if you want.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Business Gorillas posted:

There are good guys it's just some of the people on the good guys side are huge assholes.

The Daughters of Khaine for example are super evil, but on the side of the order. A short story featured a city discussing if they wanted to let them into the city to set up a enclave and temple. As while they are useful in a fight, there are rumors of them abducting people to ritually sacrifice and of them attacking their own allies. Ultimately they decide to let them in under the logic "That it's better to just give them what they want and have them fight alongside us, then making enemies of them and having to fight them and the Chaos Barbarians outside the city at the same time."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
My only complaint about AoS 2.0's lore is how hard it swerved into the grimdark - I didn't expect a lore snippet about the people in Azyr getting nerve-stapled for compliance. Everything else is a huge improvement, and it definitely is starting to feel more lived in.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Love to make bad decisions.

(I'm making a mixed Destruction army.)

The message says 'Thank you for your Order' when the army is CLEARLY destruction.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Orks are fun. Don't know if they get Foot of Gork or Mork like Ironjawz but if so cast it every chance you get its great.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Now that spells are all big fancy models, there is an absolutely 100% likelihood of a big green plastic foot appearing in the future for the Ork endless spell.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsterEnvy posted:

There are good guys it's just some of the people on the good guys side are huge assholes.

The Daughters of Khaine for example are super evil, but on the side of the order. A short story featured a city discussing if they wanted to let them into the city to set up a enclave and temple. As while they are useful in a fight, there are rumors of them abducting people to ritually sacrifice and of them attacking their own allies. Ultimately they decide to let them in under the logic "That it's better to just give them what they want and have them fight alongside us, then making enemies of them and having to fight them and the Chaos Barbarians outside the city at the same time."

It really depends on the subfaction too, which is great for forging that narrative but is kinda lazy. Though they are decent at keeping the feel of the faction across all of them.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

A big green foot would be great. The used to have the old foot cut out from the fantasy ork codex. Could make it a mortal wound bubble that kicks through units.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The AoS lore feels like they started out doing the absolute bare minimum and deliberately severing connections to the most interesting parts of Warhammer lore, then backtracked and started filling it in when they realised they'd left nothing for players to actually get attached to. With all the made up trademarkable words and deliberate move away from recognisable aesthetics it feels like the game is a legally distinct knockoff of itself.

Especially doesn't help when all these factions are supposed to be in grand coalitions, but we don't see any points on how they actually interact with each other, they're actually worse at it than even 40k so far. Are there even like cross-faction heroes that can appear in either group or both? Units that fill in gaps between them? It seems like massive wasted potential so far for one of the few things that could be an improvement on the original game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Age of Sigmar armies are pretty limited in scope by design (except Stormcast) so I think the idea is that for bigger games you are going to take allies to cover deficiencies in your force. I think you can see this trend for sure in 40k now where all the new armies are going to be a limited number of units like Custodies that you can play as a solo force as you like but make more sense as part of a larger coalition.

I expect while Orks in 40k are getting some beautiful new models there won't be anything really new. If the speed freaks stuff is more than just a renaming of existing units with some mechanical tweaking I would be surprised.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Especially doesn't help when all these factions are supposed to be in grand coalitions, but we don't see any points on how they actually interact with each other, they're actually worse at it than even 40k so far.

The Grand Alliances aren’t political coalitions so much as ideological. The factions of Order can unite to fight threats from the other Grand Alliances, but each Grand Alliance has a fair amount of in-fighting (except maybe Death, which Nagash limits to just rivalries).

The Malign Portents Harbringers are essentially cross-faction heroes and can be taken by any army in their GA as a general or just ally.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Managed to get 800pts out of a Greenskinz SC with some basic conversions.

Now I just need a tonne more boyz.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
AoS feels a lot more like a game that needs big guys, not just a fuckton of troopers. Sure my skeletons could be good with enough of them and the right support, but they will still get munched by a Star drake.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Beerdeer posted:

AoS feels a lot more like a game that needs big guys, not just a fuckton of troopers. Sure my skeletons could be good with enough of them and the right support, but they will still get munched by a Star drake.

Some forces are amazing with big monsters, but some like Daughters of Khaine love to drop like 60+ minis on the board.

Those 30 witches, fully buffed will remove a star drake in one round. They are terrifying

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm headed to Warhammer World to play a big game tomorrow, so I will let you all know how things go. I'll take plenty of photos!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like the big stuff feeling powerful. I am building Chaos Dwarfs now, and holy cow Bull Centaurs are amazing now. I can see why I can't use my old models for them.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Big powerful models are one of the main reasons I like the Kharadons. It's hard to beat the fun of scooting your airships around the table raining death on your enemies.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Multiple wounds transferring over units is one of the main reasons I love AoS. It makes the big, powerful attacks feel so powerful, when they wipe out like, 4 guys in a single swing. My warboss managed to lawnmower through an entire unit of 20 clanrats by himself.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I would love if something like that transferred over to 40k. It would sure as hell answer the horde problem when a lascannon can plow through 6 conscripts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Badablack posted:

I would love if something like that transferred over to 40k. It would sure as hell answer the horde problem when a lascannon can plow through 6 conscripts.

It was originally to make it so that big stuff like that was meant to be used on big things like it was supposed to, which is fair. But in turn it made it hard to deal with hordes.

Maybe make it so that only half of the damage spills over in 40k would be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe give some weapons a rule called pierce an half of what it does spills. Shoot a las cannon into a crowd I'd imagine it'd just cut through bodies.