Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just pulled the trigger on $35 in cards to finish off that boohoogland modern wizards deck. should be a nice change of pace from playing UW for 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I just pulled the trigger on $35 in cards to finish off that boohoogland modern wizards deck. should be a nice change of pace from playing UW for 2 months.

I would have sold them to you. I have the deck.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

you like it that much, huh? :-P

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Death of Rats posted:

The Narnam Renegade/Fetch package

:eyepop:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I’d be interested!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pontius Pilate posted:

I’d be interested!

What are you looking for?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm looking to pick a Vintage deck for an upcoming event, but I'm totally out of the loop on the Vintage metagame.

Last year I played this event, I played Oath and did alright, but there was a ton of PO Storm which was a really rough matchup. This time I'm eyeing decks like Leovold/BUG, Grixis Thieves, Jeskai Mentor, that sort of thing.

I'm having a hard time finding writeups for those that talk about their place in the current metagame though. How do the different blue-based midrange/control decks stack up against the staples like Storm, Shops, and Oath?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Which deck is better positioned in the general Modern Meta right now, between Jund and Tron?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Tron, probably.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Tbh I wasnt aware jund was positioned in the meta at all.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I think Tron would be the way to go as well with humans and UW control still being as popular as they are.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Actually, speaking of which: what's the Modern meta look like right now, anyways?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually, speaking of which: what's the Modern meta look like right now, anyways?

Humans and UWx control variants have the largest metashare, jund is a bit out of favor these days, tron is good, spirits (both versions) are doing well, and it's modern, so random different things constantly pop up at events and do ok.

Oh, and hollow1 decks are stupid and still going strong. Hardened scales affinity seems to be growing in popularity over normal affinity.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I keep seeing a few Bant Spirits lists popping up with both CoCo and Aether Vial and I really hope it doesn't catch on as I built the Bant version specifically to avoid needing Vials :argh:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I keep seeing a few Bant Spirits lists popping up with both CoCo and Aether Vial and I really hope it doesn't catch on as I built the Bant version specifically to avoid needing Vials :argh:

that's just people copying the GP top 4 list. I stand by bant with no vials.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Jund has been forced out almost completely by Mardu, and nobody plays that deck anymore, either. Honestly, other than UW, humans, and tron, the rest of the modern field seems really variable right now.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lawnie posted:

Jund has been forced out almost completely by Mardu, and nobody plays that deck anymore, either. Honestly, other than UW, humans, and tron, the rest of the modern field seems really variable right now.

Spirits is pretty good against humans, decent against uw, and uuhh 50/50ish against tron

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Honestly modern is pretty not great right now. For the most the part prominent decks are pretty mediocre play experiences. I hope GRN mixes things up a bit

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Walked posted:

Honestly modern is pretty not great right now. For the most the part prominent decks are pretty mediocre play experiences. I hope GRN mixes things up a bit

I have had the exact opposite of this experience

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

I have had the exact opposite of this experience

Different strokes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I find that Tron, KCI, And Hollow One / Bridge one are poor decks to have as significant players in the meta. But everyone has a different view I'm just not into it.

Legacy is pretty alright right now though so I'm not stressing either

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What are you looking for?

A mutavault and the grips of nimble obstructionists and wizard’s lightnings.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Last time I played modern I died on turn 3 3 games in a row through several blockers and Paths and in one game a Spell Queller then lost a game 3 that would have gotten me 9 packs because my top 15 cards had 2 lands and 1 Hierarch with 1 additional land in the next 10 cards.

I still didn't die on turn 1 to a 1 mana enchantment 2 games in a row and get mana screwed in every game after that match so I guess it's better than legacy.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Walked posted:

I find that Tron, KCI, And Hollow One / Bridge one are poor decks to have as significant players in the meta. But everyone has a different view I'm just not into it.

Uw seems like a great deck to have at the top and seems to be a more positive play experience than the other tier 1 decks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Don't tell me Jund is bad don't tell me

I'm going to go to Hong Kong next week and win

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

I agree about KCI and to a lesser extent hollow1/bridgevine being unfun to play against, but KCI isn't a popular deck for the most part from what I've seen at least. Tron is annoying but at least there's some play against it.

Meanwhile decks like UW/x control, humans, affinity variants, spirits, etc. are all fun to play and play against and have a lot of interactive games.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

Last time I played modern I died on turn 3 3 games in a row through several blockers and Paths and in one game a Spell Queller then lost a game 3 that would have gotten me 9 packs because my top 15 cards had 2 lands and 1 Hierarch with 1 additional land in the next 10 cards.

I still didn't die on turn 1 to a 1 mana enchantment 2 games in a row and get mana screwed in every game after that match so I guess it's better than legacy.

Did I dread of night you last weekend or something?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Don't tell me Jund is bad don't tell me

I'm going to go to Hong Kong next week and win

It’s not great, bob.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Did I dread of night you last weekend or something?

Everyone else I play against does, you might as well too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

that's just people copying the GP top 4 list. I stand by bant with no vials.

I might have the time and energy to go to FNM this week for once so you better be right mister! :mad:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Playing in a tournament Saturday, don't have much time to test but I want to play UW Control so I'm looking at this decklist right now and I'd like to discuss it: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19977&d=329531&f=MO

At first glance it seems heavily geared towards grindier games and the mirror. I wonder if the Ancestrals are better served being additional removal right now, I really don't want to just durdle and die.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

TheKingofSprings posted:

Playing in a tournament Saturday, don't have much time to test but I want to play UW Control so I'm looking at this decklist right now and I'd like to discuss it: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19977&d=329531&f=MO

At first glance it seems heavily geared towards grindier games and the mirror. I wonder if the Ancestrals are better served being additional removal right now, I really don't want to just durdle and die.
I'm a little bit curious as to why people play Oust over Condemn in this deck. Is 3 life and sorcery speed better than more life and requires attacking but works at instant speed? It doesn't deal with mana dorks very well, but letting you play at instant speed seems like it might be worth it. Why am I dumb?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

standard.deviant posted:

I'm a little bit curious as to why people play Oust over Condemn in this deck. Is 3 life and sorcery speed better than more life and requires attacking but works at instant speed? It doesn't deal with mana dorks very well, but letting you play at instant speed seems like it might be worth it. Why am I dumb?

Being unconditional is a really big deal and some creatures never need to swing to be a problem.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

standard.deviant posted:

I thought about this and switched to oust eventually. It's more proactive. Condemn requiring attackers is too conditional against something like humans where your non-path removal wants to get rid of a thalia or meddling mage. Also good at hitting a spell queller. Ultimately that 5th removal spell is worse than path but you need it to be efficient at the right times and people good at using lockdown creatures will be smart about attacking with them. You can also oust a big creature in hollow1 and sometimes prevent them from having ferocious for phoenix, where condemn is too late.
Theres also fringe cases where you do silly things like oust your own snapcaster and redraw him with jace or Opt for value.

Re: ancestrsls, control is popular so they can actually be good game 1. Personally I play 1 main and 1 side. UW control has 3-4 flex spots for personal preference and meta adjustment.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 6, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Nibble posted:

I'm looking to pick a Vintage deck for an upcoming event, but I'm totally out of the loop on the Vintage metagame.

Last year I played this event, I played Oath and did alright, but there was a ton of PO Storm which was a really rough matchup. This time I'm eyeing decks like Leovold/BUG, Grixis Thieves, Jeskai Mentor, that sort of thing.

I'm having a hard time finding writeups for those that talk about their place in the current metagame though. How do the different blue-based midrange/control decks stack up against the staples like Storm, Shops, and Oath?

play landstill which is good against both oath and shops and is medium against PO because that deck is just nonsense. it is worse against other Big Blue decks.

the blue decks that have access to white cards are good against shops and oath. the blue decks that do not have access to those things are not. dredge is good and, simultaneously, unplayably bad against the field. Storm is the best and there isn't anything you can do if it decides it is going to win, but the more flusterstorm and flusterstorm-adjacent cards you have in your deck, the better your odds.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lawnie posted:

It’s not great, bob.

Good thing I've sadly moved away from Bob and into the Tracker build. SB is more for control (which I expect to be out in force.)

Deck: Jund

//Lands
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Raging Ravine
1 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Stomping Ground
1 Treetop Village
1 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Collective Brutality
1 Dreadbore
2 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Tireless Tracker

//Sideboard
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Languish
3 Fulminator Mage
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Nissa, Vital Force
1 Pithing Needle
2 Obstinate Baloth
1 Nihil Spellbomb

Display deck statistics

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've been toying with Jund myself, since I already picked up sets of promo foil Liliana, Bob, and Collective Brutality for my Phyrexian Obliterator deck (that I started building when I adopted Phyrexian Obliterator).

I'm actually a big fan of Blightning, since emptying your opponent's hand is a great way to fight the various flavors of control and combo.

Here's a video of Reid Duke tearing poo poo up with Jund just a couple weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxgokh3M8As

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

Everyone else I play against does, you might as well too.

Stop playing DnT and you won't get dreaded!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've been toying with Jund myself, since I already picked up sets of promo foil Liliana, Bob, and Collective Brutality for my Phyrexian Obliterator deck (that I started building when I adopted Phyrexian Obliterator).

I'm actually a big fan of Blightning, since emptying your opponent's hand is a great way to fight the various flavors of control and combo.

Here's a video of Reid Duke tearing poo poo up with Jund just a couple weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxgokh3M8As

Blightening seems like it's fighting for k-command's spot though, which is just a way better card. Jund could theoretically be built around beating up control, but it'll never do as good a job as mardu/abzan since they get threats like lingering souls. You'd have to give up some of your creature matchups I think. Bob is weirdly annoying as a control player, because I don't want to let it sit around and draw cards but pathing a turn 2 bob feels really bad as well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bob can be a great card in Jund's bad matchups
I loved Bob against Tron because it was a card draw machine. If control can't kill him he wins you the game. But Humans, Burn, or Hollow One, he has cost me many games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Stop playing DnT and you won't get dreaded!

Sure let me play one of the many other playable decks that are reasonably priced such as