Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

This will never not be fantastic to me. Sandi is so aggressively untalented that the movies she paid to be in (funding indies with backer cash) still left her on the cutting room floor and she gets told "thanks for the cash, fuckers. Now you get nothing in return." Laser-guided karma.

A much smarter person, Tommy Wiseau, had the sense to understand that you must use your money for literally every aspect of a movie's production in order to ensure your participation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

This will never not be fantastic to me. Sandi is so aggressively untalented that the movies she paid to be in (funding indies with backer cash) still left her on the cutting room floor and she gets told "thanks for the cash, fuckers. Now you get nothing in return." Laser-guided karma.

This is the best. And I hope it keeps on happening.

The professional scammer getting scammed by a bunch of out of high school indie directors is really perfect. I hope she blows it all on being "drug mom #3".

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Someone please elucidate on her bad movie failures, what were they and how was she involved re: backer cash

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Frog Act posted:

Someone please elucidate on her bad movie failures, what were they and how was she involved re: backer cash

Sandi's tour-de-force in American Satan was one such tale of victory. CIG's cash was used to help fund this straight-to-landfill excremental disaster, which by that description you'd think would be perfect for Sandi. But although she was filmed "acting" in some scenes, the theatrical cut of the film had every one of her scenes cut 100%. She found out during the premiere screening she attended. The look on her face leaving the theater was absolutely amazing, I'm sure someone here has it - it was posted quite a bit.

I don't have the facts about their agreement with the producer, so I'm torn between two theories - the contract fine-print never mentioned the post-edited final cut, or they pulled a Chris Roberts and simply didn't honor the contract.

It was poetry.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

Sandi's tour-de-force in American Satan was one such tale of victory. CIG's cash was used to help fund this straight-to-landfill excremental disaster, which by that description you'd think would be perfect for Sandi. But although she was filmed "acting" in some scenes, the theatrical cut of the film had every one of her scenes cut 100%. She found out during the premiere screening she attended. The look on her face leaving the theater was absolutely amazing, I'm sure someone here has it - it was posted quite a bit.

I don't have the facts about their agreement with the producer, so I'm torn between two theories - the contract fine-print never mentioned the post-edited final cut, or they pulled a Chris Roberts and simply didn't honor the contract.

It was poetry.

I'm fairly certain this is just goonhistory at this point. Amusing none the less.

And hey it worked, she's in that other movie.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Neltharak posted:

I dunno, between sandi and him surely they have had the sense to save backer money.

Um, no, Chris (and Sandi) can not manage money as shown by this project.

They may have money now, but they will live beyond their income and waste the money they have in no time once there INCOME stops.

I am sure Chris had made millions of dollars (before) this kickstarter but was as bad with his money as he is with game design/ project management/ creative/ body weight control, that he was near broke by the time the kickstarter started.

I have to ask, what value do YOU see in Chris Roberts?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

"Until such time as it is released, you have no valid criticism of the content."

Well, there goes the thread.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SoftNum posted:

I'm fairly certain this is just goonhistory at this point. Amusing none the less.

And hey it worked, she's in that other movie.

Someone watched the movie and confirmed it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

please post the picture of sandi at the premiere

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

It was poetry.

I don't think that is as true as you hope, I believe the photo of her and Chris leaving a movie was from another time. I call this Goon FUD (called!)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kosumo posted:

I don't think that is as true as you hope, I believe the photo of her and Chris leaving a movie was from another time. I call this Goon FUD (called!)

I paid :10bux: for dreams.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Kosumo posted:

It was from the American Satan premiere. I was watching a YouTube video about the premiere and did a double take on the flyby of Chris and Sandi. I dropped a link to it in thread but what none of us knew then was that she’d been cut from the film. Chris and Sandi knew, they’d just seen it, but we would have to wait until the wider release came to realize why she seemed displeased.

Somebody else has the pic but if need be I can find the link in my history.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Frog Act posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGgqWWAZWL0

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

It was from the American Satan premiere. I was watching a YouTube video about the premiere and did a double take on the flyby of Chris and Sandi. I dropped a link to it in thread but what none of us knew then was that she’d been cut from the film. Chris and Sandi knew, they’d just seen it, but we would have to wait until the wider release came to realize why she seemed displeased.

Here is where the sighting got dropped.

Here is the flyby.

Bootcha posted:

Just in case you missed G0RF's hint:

I’m not sure when in thread the news broke about Sandi getting cut. It was right after the screenings expanded to multiple cities. Maybe in February?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 6, 2018

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

What kills me is years ago during the MMO boom a buddy and I had the idea to announce a fake MMO and open forums for it with Google ads on them “to pay for bandwidth since we’re a small company.” Every now and then we’d pay an artist a few bucks and release some concept art or doctored screenshots and keep people posting in the forums and collect the money for years.

And yet this scam has been far surpassed.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

G0RF posted:

If that is so I am happy to be wrong …. just did not think that the evidence was solid (like Star Citizens ramps).

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Like, if you're flipping through scripts to produce, how on Earth do you stop on a film called "American Satan"? How in any way, shape, or form could something with that name produce a good movie?

I guess this is from the wife of the guy who thought "Lucky Number Sleven" was a winning title.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

What kills me is years ago during the MMO boom a buddy and I had the idea to announce a fake MMO and open forums for it with Google ads on them “to pay for bandwidth since we’re a small company.” Every now and then we’d pay an artist a few bucks and release some concept art or doctored screenshots and keep people posting in the forums and collect the money for years.

Your scam was Archered.

Cameroon_TLPC
Jun 15, 2018

CEO, Lead Designer and Game Director

playlovepledge.com

Raskolnikov posted:

It Love Pledge going to release in 2018?

Two weeks?
We're still in pre-alpha testing stages, but much like Cyberpunk 2077, we've recently hit a major milestone! You can now play the game completely one-handed. We've also removed some of the more extraneous shortcuts, like hitting ALT+LSHIFT+F11 to bring up the main menu. Our engineers are nothing short of amazing!

Our lore team also sent out an update today:
https://twitter.com/PledgeTeam/status/1037525988647694336

Cameroon_TLPC
Jun 15, 2018

playlovepledge.com

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

This is 100% what we are absolutely not doing. You have my word. We are producing a real game, just look at all of this artwork!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cameroon_TLPC posted:

This is 100% what we are absolutely not doing. You have my word. We are producing a real game, just look at all of this artwork!

I have faith.

Fake edit: holy poo poo elon musk, just stop.

Real edit: there’s a Stimpress? Why this changes everything.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

THEGRIMTOWER: When Edgelords Attack

quote:

American Satan is the story of a young rock band who play a form of music that would offend anyone with a functioning set of ears who sell their souls to Malcom McDowell in exchange for Deathklok-like success.

American Satan is an artifact of the early 2000s. The creation of a man who is clearly pining for the bygone days of his early 20s, when he was wearing impossibly large Jncos, listening to Limp Bizkit, and awkwardly hitting on teenage girls outside of the local Hot Topic. A man whose only exposure to cinema came in the form of mallcore rock and roll vampire tale Queen of the Damned, the jump cut nightmare that was Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, and possibly House of 1000 Corpses. Run these cinematic influences through the filter of a few too many episodes of Behind the Music and the short attention spans of the Ritalin generation and you’ve got this flick.

Put simply, American Satan is a dull, hyperactive, unwatchable mess. However, given the film’s pedigree, I don’t think making a good film was of primary concern to writer/director, and Sumerian Records founder, Ash Avildsen. It becomes abundantly clear shortly into the film that this was likely never intended to be an entertaining movie, but rather was intended to be an extended commercial for a bevy of bland Sumerian Records artists. In scene after scene, the background music (which mostly consists of bland nu metal revival tripe) is boosted so loud as to practically drown out the rest of the film’s audio. Almost as if to scream, “hey, don’t pay attention to that, pay attention to this instead.”

At least, I certainly hope this was intended to be a thinly veiled commercial. If it was intended as a serious film, then it is even worse. The story is paced like it was written by a 15-year-old with ADHD who was fed a steady diet of coffee spiked with methamphetamine. There are more jump cuts than a Youtube skeptic video. What’s even worse is the repeated uses of deus ex machina. Top this off with the characters being generally unlikeable rock and roll cliches who spout “edgelord” tripe masquerading as dialogue. This is what makes it exceptionally ridiculous when it seems like the filmmakers want the viewer to feel sorry for Johnny when he ODs, or when his girlfriend leaves him. If you want that to be the case, your characters have to have some redeeming qualities, don’t they? They can’t just be the living embodiment of every early 2000s metal forum troll who typed “LiKe tHiS.” This is, of course, to say nothing of the acting. No one in this movie puts in anything that could even be remotely confused for a passable performance. I wasn’t expecting much from Andy Biersack or Ben Bruce. Rock musicians, by and large, can’t act worth a drat. They work fine in small cameos, but I certainly would never want one to carry a film. Malcom McDowell, who I believe is the most seasoned actor out of the cast here, just seems checked out and on auto pilot until the cash is in his hand. This goes for Mark Boone Junior as well.

If one thing is abundantly clear from viewing American Satan, it is that the Sumerian Records crew need to stay far, far away from the cinema. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities to be found in this film. This is not even in the realm of so bad it’s good, this is just bad.
^
:sandance: was cut from this.

Cameroon_TLPC posted:

We're still in pre-alpha testing stages, but much like Cyberpunk 2077, we've recently hit a major milestone! You can now play the game completely one-handed. We've also removed some of the more extraneous shortcuts, like hitting ALT+LSHIFT+F11 to bring up the main menu. Our engineers are nothing short of amazing!

Our lore team also sent out an update today:
https://twitter.com/PledgeTeam/status/1037525988647694336

:lol::lol::lol:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

wow, she's an exceptionally bad actress, even compared to her dinner theater compatriots. she sounds unrehearsed and like she's not confident in her own delivery. this whole thing is just boring a low effort, too, ugh

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I watched a bit into this forgetting the context of why it was posted. It was confusingly boring. I am not smart.

Cameroon_TLPC
Jun 15, 2018

playlovepledge.com

Hav posted:

Fake edit: holy poo poo elon musk, just stop.
We don't stop. Ever.
https://twitter.com/PledgeTeam/status/1037533423458385920

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

A jpeg that fine has to be worth at least $650 cash monies

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Sumerian Records

edit: Hilarious, this is their logo:

Uh, that's not exactly Sumerian, fellas.

Aqua Seafoam Shame fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 6, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmbo even when I take a break from the UK's second biggest shitshow to catch up with America's biggest I can't escape the ouroboros of shitposting
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1037548777677234177

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Gravity_Storm posted:

A jpeg that fine has to be worth at least $650 cash monies

What game is this again? I know someone in the thread is making it and I'll give it a look, but is it really just going to be stuffed with so many references to poo poo literally nobody but us in this thread would get?

That said, put in a coward named T'bak.
and idk, some space pirate who is only known by her alias, The Lusitania. Or The Yamato.

Edit: Or the General Slocum might be most fitting for Star Citizen, since the huge death toll on that ship was mostly due to an incompetent captain, crew, and poo poo like rotted-through life-vests and lifeboats nailed to the side of the ship.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 6, 2018

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Ghostlight posted:

lmbo even when I take a break from the UK's second biggest shitshow to catch up with America's biggest I can't escape the ouroboros of shitposting
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1037548777677234177

Is Trump a backer?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Foo Diddley posted:

CIG's next magic buzzword that will fix the networking will be called... *pulls scraps of paper out of a hat* Predictive Data Stream Balancing

Programmable Efficient Network Isolation Servers

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

"...like, 7 years or something. I don't know why that number came up. Just totally random number."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/dominictarason/status/1037051864251031552
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1037065480291471360

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Breetai posted:

Someone watched the movie and confirmed it.

I think SoftNum meant the part about Sandi using CIG's money to help finance American Satan in exchange for a sweet role as Vic's Mom is just amusing goonhistory and not actually something supported by evidence.

(While technically every cent the Roberts are paying themselves to "work" for CIG comes from backers, it's not CIG's money that went into the movie unless they paid it out of a corporate account. And if they did that...well, they've got huge, huge problems in their future, because piercing the corporate veil is something you do not do if you want to stay wealthy and/or out of jail.)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lovers of that fine British show Hustle will know that romantic "moral" conman ethos of giving the mark an out. This is to guarantee however, that the mark will usually always be too greedy to back off; the goal after all is to get them to bite something that seems too good to be true. But also, there is the vital insurance that the mark believe the narrative they bought into is complete and thus protect you as you melt into the shadows.

The core dishonesty of SC is that "out" that the faithful repeat to themselves: they are donating to a project without the expectation of something back. The mark believes the fable, but I'm not at all sure the conmen have done their homework.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
wasn't he absolutely loving fawning over it and refused to listen to any criticism whatsoever as he continued to try and sell people on the game because "those developers were held back by blizzard and now they can make the game right"

like I purchased hellgate london and thought it was okay for the first couple hours, but anything after that was a complete loving nightmare mess

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Trilobite posted:

I think SoftNum meant the part about Sandi using CIG's money to help finance American Satan in exchange for a sweet role as Vic's Mom is just amusing goonhistory and not actually something supported by evidence.

(While technically every cent the Roberts are paying themselves to "work" for CIG comes from backers, it's not CIG's money that went into the movie unless they paid it out of a corporate account. And if they did that...well, they've got huge, huge problems in their future, because piercing the corporate veil is something you do not do if you want to stay wealthy and/or out of jail.)
you don't need to give them money, you can lend them cameras and talent and a bunch of other poo poo

but yeah, I'm p confident they gave them money for both this and the perception movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Trilobite posted:

Sandi is head of marketing with a faked marketing degree (or was that the marine biology degree?). They pay themselves, even though not qualified. They lent out office space to do filming. Yeah, it is CIG's money IMO.