Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Yeast posted:

Yeah.

My Apple Watch dings me when my kerbside parking's about to expire, and I can extend it with a tap.

(Australian).

Man... I don’t even drive and that is cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How do I make it so if I set a timer on my phone, it shows up on my watch?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Housh posted:

How do I make it so if I set a timer on my phone, it shows up on my watch?

Set the timer on your watch.

If you set the timer on your phone the alarm will go off on your watch, but won't appear as a countdown on your watch. This is a feature, I think - it allows you to run separate timers on your phone and watch. This is occasionally useful if you're doing far too much in the kitchen.

T.K.
Dec 25, 2009

shenanigans upon 1000 equally unprecedented shenanigans

Coq au Nandos posted:

Set the timer on your watch.

If you set the timer on your phone the alarm will go off on your watch, but won't appear as a countdown on your watch. This is a feature, I think - it allows you to run separate timers on your phone and watch. This is occasionally useful if you're doing far too much in the kitchen.

Pretty much. Timers, alarms, and stopwatches all don't sync across phone/watch for precisely this reason.

Don't be an idiot like me, set your normal wakeup alarm on your watch, and forget to charge it the night before expecting it to carry over to your phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

T.K. posted:

Pretty much. Timers, alarms, and stopwatches all don't sync across phone/watch for precisely this reason.

I always thought this was dumb as hell - they could have just designed the phone app to allow multiple timers and sidestepped the problem entirely

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If I set a timer on my phone it'll go off on my watch

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If I set a timer on my phone it'll go off on my watch
But it doesn't show the countdown does it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it weird to want a thinner watch? Maybe the 42mm is too big on my bird wrists but id love if these things had a slight contour like the Pebble classic. For all the things I like about the apple watch, it just feels like a little metal brick on my arm and I'm never not aware of it being there.

e: Also ive never worn a real watch before. maybe I should use a G-Shock for a little white and then go back?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not weird at all.

Maybe the Series 5 or 6 will see a major design revision that'll make it thinner.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

buglord posted:

Is it weird to want a thinner watch? Maybe the 42mm is too big on my bird wrists but id love if these things had a slight contour like the Pebble classic. For all the things I like about the apple watch, it just feels like a little metal brick on my arm and I'm never not aware of it being there.

e: Also ive never worn a real watch before. maybe I should use a G-Shock for a little white and then go back?

I used to frequently wear a Seiko diver, which is a full 50% heavier than my SS Apple Watch on similar bands, so this doesn't bother me at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not the weight that's at issue, it's the design they went with. The way it bulges the sensor cluster so it can press into your wrist makes it look like it's always hovering uncomfortably over your arm. It doesn't contour to the human body at all.

Which I'm content with but I can see how someone would not like it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Thinner watches would be neat but I like it as it is. I just hope they don't sacrifice wristband backwards compatibility for thinness down the line. As such I'm super glad they're apparently keeping the wristband compatibility with the 4.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

buglord posted:

I have the smallest wrists and I use a 38mm. There’s no issue with the size and weight. I use the sport loop and feel when I’m wearing it less than any watch I’ve ever owned.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

buglord posted:

Yep, all the time. I feel like my 38mm is thicccc

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

xzzy posted:

The way it bulges the sensor cluster so it can press into your wrist makes it look like it's always hovering uncomfortably over your arm. It doesn't contour to the human body at all.

Yeah that explains my gripe perfectly. Maybe it's a heart rate thing because my old fitbit HR thing felt just as unnatural because the sensors were bulged out.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Isn't battery another limiting factor to thickness?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I have baby hands and wrists and I rock a 42mm and never feel that it’s there. I can’t imagine something smaller.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

Isn't battery another limiting factor to thickness?

I like my battery life as it is (my watch can tolerate me forgetting to charge it a few nights) so I would begrudgingly prefer the thickness should it come to that. I do wish it contoured to the wrist instead of simultaneously floating onto and digging into my wrist.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought the new watch was rumored to be thinner.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, why can't Dark Sky get their complication right?

Every time I see an update to the Apple that specifically cites Apple Watch improvements and yet, every time, it has issues keeping updated information displayed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Ugh, why can't Dark Sky get their complication right?

Every time I see an update to the Apple that specifically cites Apple Watch improvements and yet, every time, it has issues keeping updated information displayed.

I think the exact same thing :lol: and keep switching between DS and AccuWeather. AccuWeather seems super delayed on the complication, even if I open up the phone app to get the correct forecast, it takes forever for it to make it to the watch.

I think for DS to work, you have to open the phone app after an update to kick the watch app, or else it'll just display "Dark Sky." That said, after doing that, it seems to be updating just fine. So far.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I got a real sport loop and it's very good.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
One year and 361 days wearing my S2 never being particularly careful, never had so much as a scratch.

Today, hastily wrapping a microphone cable like I do every day, connector swung around my wrist and full-shatter.

Sucks paying the deductible on a device that will be 2 generations old in a matter of days.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’d probably just wait it out and buy a S4. Or get a S3 on discount.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’d probably just wait it out and buy a S4. Or get a S3 on discount.

Should be able to sell a S2 for more than a $50 deductible though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

Should be able to sell a S2 for more than a $50 deductible though.

$80

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My S3 keeps crashing a lot lately. Could iOS 12 beta on my phone contribute to that? Is there a good restore-from-backup thing to do to a watch that might improve random quirky things like that?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wouldn’t mind a thinner watch and I agree with the complaints that it lifts off your wrist a bit cause the sensor design and that makes it seem much more thick

Also I ended up going from a 42mm to a 38mm and I much prefer it, even as a dude. Maybe I have dainty wrists. Though if you have poor eyesight I could see the 42mm as being better. But really the 42mm just seems gigantic now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fourwood posted:

My S3 keeps crashing a lot lately. Could iOS 12 beta on my phone contribute to that? Is there a good restore-from-backup thing to do to a watch that might improve random quirky things like that?

It's possible. iOS 12 and WatchOS 5 come out next week, so if you can wait just a few days you'll probably be in the clear.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol the new Watches are bigger so your bands will look weird. Thanks Crapple.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Looking forward to getting discounts on the series 3 bands.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

lol the new Watches are bigger so your bands will look weird. Thanks Crapple.

According to the article....

Apple measures watches by the height of the case. All watches to date have been 38mm and 42mm tall. These new watches represent a 2mm increase on both the smaller and larger sizes.

So, bands should be fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m keeping the S3 until it breaks or gets murdered by software updates. I’m really, reall,y really looking forward to not having to say “hey siri” as a prompt anymore.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m keeping the S3 until it breaks or gets murdered by software updates. I’m really, reall,y really looking forward to not having to say “hey siri” as a prompt anymore.

Wait why won't you have to say hey siri anymore?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol aint nothing true till I see it at the key note.

Haven't you guys learned anything?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wait why won't you have to say hey siri anymore?

It’s getting raise to speak so just bringing the watch up / turning it on will be enough to get a Siri command (or shortcut). It’s in the OS preview

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same but I'm also extremely worried that the move to a 64bit processor is going to seriously shorten the life of the S3.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It took years to exorcise the 32 bit phones, you'll be sick of your watch by the time it's obsolete.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s getting raise to speak so just bringing the watch up / turning it on will be enough to get a Siri command (or shortcut). It’s in the OS preview

I can’t wait for Siri to activate every time I want to know the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I can’t wait for Siri to activate every time I want to know the time.

I too am randomly saying commands out loud when checking the time.