Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

or like an american version of the five-star movement.

the Favstar Movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scary! posted:

Unfortunately I think this is the best indicator, but I’m hoping court packing will be one of the litmus tests for anyone running (amongst a plethora of other issues that are in dire need such as UHC, which we won’t get unless the courts are changed)

policy matters a lot less than fundamental politics right now: what good is Medicare for All when it's overturned in a 5-4 decision.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

policy matters a lot less than fundamental politics right now: what good is Medicare for All when it's overturned in a 5-4 decision.

In the scenario where Medicare for All is passed into law there are more than 9 seats on the SCOTUS

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rastor posted:

In the scenario where Medicare for All is passed into law there are more than 9 seats on the SCOTUS

You've got people signing on to M4A who haven't signed on to an expanded court right now, so I'm not so sure about that.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You've got people signing on to M4A who haven't signed on to an expanded court right now, so I'm not so sure about that.

The only reason they haven't signed on is because it hasn't been brought up in mainstream discussion yet.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
repeal marbury vs madison

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Lastgirl posted:

Mike Pence, trump thread's allover it

I found two trump threads and it was not fun at all

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agean90 posted:

The only reason they haven't signed on is because it hasn't been brought up in mainstream discussion yet.

yes it has

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.48b17efae67a
https://newrepublic.com/article/148358/democrats-prepare-pack-supreme-court
https://www.vox.com/2018/7/2/17513520/court-packing-explained-fdr-roosevelt-new-deal-democrats-supreme-court
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/06/democrats-need-to-pack-the-supreme-court-with-libe.html
https://mic.com/articles/190053/court-packing-might-become-the-next-internal-battle-for-democrats#.KupvvsK8d

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ericandre/status/1037413585847087104

andre 3000? more like andre 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I wonder how the hillfolk cheer squad can explain all the primary recent upsets for bad dems by Berniecrats?

Also Trump presidency is only half-way completed, with more weak grovelling bad dem more Berniecrats will win.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

i interpret "I'm not really sure you can look at the historically poor performance of establishment candidates across the board in primaries" as referring to past primaries, not primary polling. but even so, the only other person being polled that any knows is biden. most people still do not recognize warren, booker, etc. and biden is usually running about even with bernie in the low 20s or teens. i think people are very open to an alternative to either.
have you fed video reels of biden being creepy around children into your computer yet

this isn't a hypothetical mental exercise

i literally saw fox news making fun of biden w/ these video reels over the last thanksgiving holidays lol

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

etalian posted:

Also Trump presidency is only one-fourth completed.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

etalian posted:

I wonder how the hillfolk cheer squad can explain all the primary recent upsets for bad dems by Berniecrats?

There haven't been that many upsets

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The only thing about packing the Supreme Court is that Republicans could do the same thing and appoint a dozen people who will vote to end democracy if they ever got >60 votes, or if Republicans decided to expand the exceptions to the nuclear option from just SCOTUS appointments to include court packing legislation, regardless of whether Democrats judge such a move to mean the death of the filibuster entirely. Republicans have always the ones to sink to new lows first when it comes to breaking norms, so I think this is probably the right thing to do. It'd need to be followed up with a constitutional amendment firmly setting the number of judges at a certain amount and guaranteeing that every president gets two appointees to make sure the consequences never boomerang back, though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H07ygGZxjE

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

galenanorth posted:

The only thing about packing the Supreme Court is that Republicans could do the same thing and appoint a dozen people who will vote to end democracy if they ever got >60 votes, or if Republicans decided to expand the exceptions to the nuclear option from just SCOTUS appointments to include court packing legislation, regardless of whether Democrats judge such a move to mean the death of the filibuster entirely. Republicans have always the ones to sink to new lows first when it comes to breaking norms, so I think this is probably the right thing to do. It'd need to be followed up with a constitutional amendment firmly setting the number of judges at a certain amount and guaranteeing that every president gets two appointees to make sure the consequences never boomerang back, though.

They don't need >60 votes. They could do it today. E. Oh, would it need actual legislation? They could still probably do it today, especially after the 5-4 decision that says that Democratic Senators don't get to vote on things any more.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

anime was right posted:

the absolute best part of the jungle primary is there's gonna be like 5 different rich idiots backing their favorite corporate dem so they're all gonna cancel each other out. none of them are gonna all get behind one person. obama coalition, clinton coalition, moderate republicans that hate trumps decorum. i mean they're all the same group, but there's different actors in them.

lol this is exactly how the GOP establishment ended up with Trump against their will. Would be hilarious if the same exact thing gets Sanders in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you don't have to worry about your policies being used against you if you never lose elections

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Why are Concerned Citizen and LinYutang in this thread again right now, is there no work for centrists while Congressional hearings are in progress

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Graphic posted:

lol this is exactly how the GOP establishment ended up with Trump against their will. Would be hilarious if the same exact thing gets Sanders in.
could the GOP have theoretically and formally ratfucked trump w/o breaking their own convention rules if he just got a huge plurality of the votes/delegates and not a majority through the primaries?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

docbeard posted:

They don't need >60 votes. They could do it today. E. Oh, would it need actual legislation? They could still probably do it today, especially after the 5-4 decision that says that Democratic Senators don't get to vote on things any more.

Yeah, I looked it up on the SCOTUS wiki article and the number last changed in 1869, after the Chief Justice requested it reduced from ten to seven as judges retire, probably as an administrative thing. Congress decided that was a bad idea a few years later and set it to nine.

The Republicans could do pass court packing legislation today, but they wouldn't at least until after midterms. I suspect that as long as the balance looks like it will firmly be in their favor, Republicans wouldn't pack the courts so they can keep the filibuster when they're the opposition.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

loquacius posted:

Multiple people in my Facebook feed have linked this article unironically

I got it linked to me by someone who said it’s a very damning and troubling account. I read the first few paragraphs laughed at it and was told I needed to read it, it’s important to save our democracy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

galenanorth posted:

Who gives one poo poo. If they want a worse 1861, except this time with gulags, let them try. Hey Poland, now has almost a hundred people on it's court.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

comedyblissoption posted:

could the GOP have theoretically and formally ratfucked trump w/o breaking their own convention rules if he just got a huge plurality of the votes/delegates and not a majority through the primaries?

the gop has the same rule as the dems, if no one gets a majority in the first round it goes to a brokered convention. one big difference between the gop and dem rules is that the gop has winner-take-all rules in a lot of states that make it much easier for a candidate with a plurality to end up with a healthy majority. they also have a rule that a candidate has to win a majority in 8 states to be nominated. there is not likely to be 2 candidates who meet that criteria. however, since convention rules are basically calvin ball, a motivated base of delegates could change that rule prior to voting.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 6, 2018

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

there will almost certainly be people trying to outflank bernie on the left, probably on guns and immigration. but i do not agree that "establishment candidates across the board" are performing poorly. the vast majority still won their races, mostly by a lot.

Probably should have amended that to "High profile establishment people losing races" rather than making a sweeping statement. I don't think guns will matter at all in the primaries (they will never matter probably), immigration though I wouldn't be surprised if Abolish ICE becomes the standard candidates are held too from the left because Bernie was basically on board with it and I don't think there will be anyone else running that agrees we should abolish ICE.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

they also have a rule that a candidate has to win a majority in 8 states to be nominated.

aka the ron paul rule

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the gop has the same rule as the dems, if donors like you you win

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

galenanorth posted:

the importance of court-packing isn't in the details. it's an acknowledgement from the Democrats that the court is openly partisan and has lost its legitimacy

once both sides are openly loving with the court, the status quo becomes unworkable and something has to give

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

loquacius posted:

Multiple people in my Facebook feed have linked this article unironically

Same. And only one person has pointed out that whoever this person is, they're a huge part of the problem and putting up with Grandpa Smooth brains because it gives them cover to take the country backwards by a century.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
that Democrats didn't respond to Republicans attempting to put party operatives in the Court ever since Bork's nomination is pretty damning to the competence of the party as a whole

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol @ the cognitive dissonance of this interview and the rest of msnbc cheerleading everything is great in the economy

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hedges quoting Marx on MSNBC

Tortoiseburger
Mar 27, 2007

The Finest of the Tortoise

Top City Homo posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hedges quoting Marx on MSNBC

Kept waiting for it, and there it was right at the end when she's trying to get him off the air. It's perfect. We need more people just hot dropping in marx quotes to interviews. Not a whole interview about marx, but just people saying "as Marx said." etc.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nothus posted:

Aside from Zuck, there has to be some tech dipshit(s) with more money than brains itching to give it a go.

Mark Cuban

Also no one mentioned Cuomo yet, do you even succ?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the best part is when he starts dunking on fracking she starts shutting down the interview

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

lmfao at trying to be taking seriously while holding a selfie stick eat poo poo you shameless self promoting binch

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

succ
The Intercept: Tom Carper Backs Re-Importing Drugs From Canada, After Voting Against It Repeatedly

quote:

Delaware Sen. Tom Carper portrayed himself as a health care populist at the Democratic primary debate this week, championing his role in writing and defending the Affordable Care Act and declaring, “We oughta re-import drugs from Canada.”

The policy announcement came as the senior senator has sought to recast himself before the September 6 primary.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The documentary that's going to be made about the next time the economy shits it's guts out is going to open with that Hedges interview. Assuming we still have electricity and aren't bartering ammo for canned goods, of course.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i really wanna read hedges' book now but it sounds insanely depressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

emigrate and then read it imho.