Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I feel like kind of an edge case when it comes to cord-cutting desires, but I actually don't care all that much about watching live TV (or any sports at all, except the olympics) but mostly about access to network's apps.

My wife is addicted to Investigation Discovery, so whatever service(s) I choose need to support that. Which means only Playstation Vue and Philo. And I said no sports, but every two years we go nuts for the Olympics via NBC's Olympics app. It looks like out of all the streaming services, Vue gives access to the most apps (including NBC and the Olympic Channel) except it doesn't have A&E & company. But Philo has access to A&E so I'm thinking... both? I'm currently paying $140 a month for cable so even at $50 for Vue and $16 for Philo I still come out way ahead.

I've got a new Amazon fire stick in the living room and an older fire stick on our second TV (it sometimes stuttered with Netflix so we upgraded) but for savings like that I think I can afford to get new devices for TVs if I need to.

Anyone have any thoughts on my plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sounds like you can wait until the next Olympics to sign up for Vue.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I wouldn't rely on any of today's pricing to still be in effect come 2020 anyway, so I'd take the cheap option now and layer on Vue or whatever when that time comes. Or just bum a login off a friend to use the Olympics app.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There are other channels I'm interested in that are Vue only, it's not just Olympics.

I could also do Philo and DirectTV Now instead of Philo and Vue. But then I lose TNT...

With something as important to the course of human history as how I get my favorite TV channels I have to make sure to over analyze everything before I make a decision.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 6, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know that YoutubeTV just announced today the ability to pause subscriptions. So, it may be worthwhile to stack with Philo if it has something you want since you could keep your sub and just put the sub on hold for periods.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The other thing is you aren't tied to them like you would be with a cable package deal. At the worst you're out a month of paying for the service.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FISHMANPET posted:

There are other channels I'm interested in that are Vue only, it's not just Olympics.

I could also do Philo and DirectTV Now instead of Philo and Vue. But then I lose TNT...

With something as important to the course of human history as how I get my favorite TV channels I have to make sure to over analyze everything before I make a decision.

People find that buying TV shows on iTunes (or whatever) is far less palatable than buying whatever services/cable, but think about it like this: you can buy full seasons of current TV shows for like $20 and keep them forever and watch them as they come out, or watch them on Cable and pay $100/mo with commercials. I can buy 5 full seasons of TV shows every month instead of buying a $100 cable subscription. That's a whole lot of Always Sunny.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jokes posted:

People find that buying TV shows on iTunes (or whatever) is far less palatable than buying whatever services/cable, but think about it like this: you can buy full seasons of current TV shows for like $20 and keep them forever and watch them as they come out, or watch them on Cable and pay $100/mo with commercials. I can buy 5 full seasons of TV shows every month instead of buying a $100 cable subscription. That's a whole lot of Always Sunny.

Entire seasons of new shows are closer to $40, but if you can wait a season the price will drop.

I don't know if it's still available, but I just snagged all 162 episodes of Magnum PI for $35 from iTunes last week. (don't buy it a season at a time, they specifically have a "Complete Collection" you can buy that gives you all the seasons)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

My wife is addicted to Investigation Discovery, so whatever service(s) I choose need to support that.

If she doesn’t need ID specifically, there is a ton of true crime content on various streaming sources. You can get all of Forensic Files on Youtube, which can keep you occupied for a bit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tk posted:

If she doesn’t need ID specifically, there is a ton of true crime content on various streaming sources. You can get all of Forensic Files on Youtube, which can keep you occupied for a bit.

I get an over the air sub-channel called "Escape" that runs crime dramas and true crime programs including Forensic Files.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tk posted:

There's also the CRIME and TRUE DETECTIVES Channels on the free Pluto.tv

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
If you've got an antenna you might be able to get the Justice Network. That's all it is.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Croatoan posted:

If you've got an antenna you might be able to get the Justice Network. That's all it is.

My local ABC affiliate has them as a subchannel and it has to be the lowest bitrate channel in my lineup. It's like watching something in RealPlayer

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mom requires Destination America for the stupid ghost programs which is only offered on like 2 services fml why am I a kind daughter

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheScott2K posted:

My local ABC affiliate has them as a subchannel and it has to be the lowest bitrate channel in my lineup. It's like watching something in RealPlayer

Same. In Atlanta I think it's also the same set of subchannels that further down the line play local radio stations for some reason. Just the sound, no picture or anything.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

Same. In Atlanta I think it's also the same set of subchannels that further down the line play local radio stations for some reason. Just the sound, no picture or anything.

Weirdly enough, a few years back, some of my local channels would just put the same feed as the main channel on a sub-channel, except it was in ST for reasons :iiam:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

My mom requires Destination America for the stupid ghost programs which is only offered on like 2 services fml why am I a kind daughter

Tell your mom that ghosts are not real.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ghosts and lifetime movies are a white womens kryptonite

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1037728817249492993?s=19

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Ghosts and lifetime movies are a white womens kryptonite

Buy her a copy of Ghost starring Patrick Swayze.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Buy her a copy of Ghost starring Patrick Swayze.

And some pottery clay

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Can anyone explain how to setup embycon? I've added a firestick to my basement tv which uses the emby app.
On my main TV, I have a shield tv with kodi. I installed the plug in, but I cannot figure out how to add the new source.
I always have kodi handle everything, I just want to sync watched status. Do I need the other kodi/emby plug in? The documentation kind of sucks.

Edit: scratch this question. The plug in autodetects the username, but does not pass it properly. Manual setup works.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 8, 2018

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

gently caress. My NFL Game Pass International subscription auto-renewed on August 1 (at the international price) but now I can't get to the international version of the site using Ad-Free Time, which has worked for years, or Unlocator, which I signed up for a trial to test out.

So they have my money, and I have no football. Since no Smart DNS services seem to be working right now for this, can anyone recommend a reputable VPN that'll get me to the international site?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
So my mother’s house is a cabin in the woods she bought like 10 years ago. She is using spectrum(NY) so she has that triple package deal, basically only for internet. She only watches Netflix and Amazon and doesn’t use the land line. There is not an antenna on the roof anymore, it was ugly and old or something, but there are literally 8 splitters in the basement and they all have a coaxil cable running up into each room of the house. My question is, is there a way to not have spectrum since they suck anyway?

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 15, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just checking in to say we've been using DTVNow + HBO on that launch deal still, and it's working a lot better. Otherwise we've got Netflix and Prime, and really we haven't been lacking for stuff to watch. All works out to under $60/month, which is drat great. Thanks for the heads up years ago, thread!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am using my brother’s ps Vue log in for tv everywhere channels on Roku. Recently, PS Vue raised the rates by $5 but gave a bunch of people free upgrades to their elite package.

This means that certain sports channels are now available to my brother but when I try to watch baseball or college football it says that he is not authorized to watch that content.

Has anyone heard of this or have a thought to solve it?

Along with this sports talk, Verizon is offering free access to all football games through their NFL mobile app regardless of who your carrier is. Just in case anyone was interested.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am using my brother’s ps Vue log in for tv everywhere channels on Roku. Recently, PS Vue raised the rates by $5 but gave a bunch of people free upgrades to their elite package.

This means that certain sports channels are now available to my brother but when I try to watch baseball or college football it says that he is not authorized to watch that content.

Along with this sports talk, Verizon is offering free access to all football games through their NFL mobile app regardless of who your carrier is. Just in case anyone was interested.

Some cable and streaming providers will only buy live broadcast rights and not the rights to the dedicated channel app. (I've seen this with Time Warner, where you weren't authorized to use the SyFy app, but had the channel).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Do you live in the same area as your brother? I think what's happening is that your brother lives in an area that has access to a particular sports channel, but you don't. So you have the channel because its on his account but when YOU go to watch it, the location check says, "Hey you're not in the right region for this channel," and it won't load.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you live in the same area as your brother?

Yeah, we live about 40 miles apart so same region.

Oh well, at least this showed me what would happen. I was going to pay him the difference to add the sports channels to his package but now I know that that would have been a waste.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Proteus Jones posted:

Entire seasons of new shows are closer to $40, but if you can wait a season the price will drop.

I don't know if it's still available, but I just snagged all 162 episodes of Magnum PI for $35 from iTunes last week. (don't buy it a season at a time, they specifically have a "Complete Collection" you can buy that gives you all the seasons)

poo poo, back to $70. Not a horrible price, but I woulda jumped all over that at $35.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I can't imagine this sells very well.

https://twitter.com/AndroidPolice/status/1042877828587372544

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Welp, Amazon's about to buy up local tv stations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Ugh, I miss Aereo

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Still baffled that "cheap TV antenna" still hasn't been disrupted

In order to do it right you'd need something like a button-sized antenna that you could place outside your house and have it send the TV signal to your Chromecast or Fire Stick via Wi-Fi - and then you'd have to figure out a way to power it (rechargeable solar battery?)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wouldn't be too sure. It would be a perfect companion to Prime and Netflix and it being headless lets you put it wherever in your house gets the best TV signal. It beats TiVo out by having no sub fees and it will likely be easier to use than the other more techie devices like Tablo.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Has anyone heard of Locast? Roku just added the channel but when it try to go to their website, it will not let me.

They work just like Aereo but claim non-profit status so they can claim that they are just boosting OTA signals which is allowed for non-profit organizations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My Fios contract is up in a few weeks and I was looking into getting a IPTV service to replace cable but there’s a specific problem I have, The main TV in the house doesn’t have HDMI.

Replacing the TV is a no go due to financial issues so I’m looking at options with existing equipment which almost restricts me to last gen game consoles. The PS3 obviously has Vue but seems to be virtually unusable based on reviews while the Xbox 360 only seems to have Hulu as a option which I don’t have. Also, I live in a dead zone of cell coverage with a alarm system so a landline is essential on top on the internet.

I would prefer hockey which here is MSG but only AT&T and Fubo have that. The woman of the house wants ABC, CBS and TBS.

Is the best option renewal with Fios or is there another way?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Your best up option is to save up and get a cheap 200 dollar tv that's been made in the last decade and therefore has HDMI.

You could probably get one off Craigslist, even.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The $35 Roku express+ still has composite output and should run all modern apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

bull3964 posted:

The $35 Roku express+ still has composite output and should run all modern apps.

The Issue is no HDMI, the TV is HD (1080i only)