Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Stalker is an essential Criterion, anyone who's missing that has a hole in their collection.

I don't know that I'd call Tarkovsky an acquired taste, his style is pretty clear immediately and speaking for myself I fell in love right away within the first 10 minutes of Solaris. Maybe it's a taste that can be acquired, but I didn't have to work very hard myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've only seen two Tarkovsky films - Ivan's Childhood and Stalker, but both I thought were amazing. They just pull you in.

I've been meaning to catch up on more stuff via Filmstruck...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The opening hour of Solaris is great, I love it because it plays a bit like a Lovecraft short story where you're hearing this crazy story second-hand, but if you really focus on what the person is saying the implications are baffling and disturbing. And of course our main character is headed there...

It's a perfect sci-fi set-up imo.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Stalker was my first Tarkovsky, which I watched for the first time about 7 years ago. I went into it thinking "science fiction", so my expectations were tugging in a drastically different direction than the movie was going. My opinion overall was positive, but it didn't quite click. Since then I've watched Andrei Rublev, The Mirror, Ivan's Childhood and Solaris. Last month I got the Stalker Criterion and rewatched it. Now that I "get" Tarkovsky and I knew what I was in for, this viewing of Stalker was absolutely mesmerizing and wonderful. It finally clicked, and now I think it's one of my favorite movies ever. I'm anxious to revisit all the others I've seen to see if I have a similar experience.

So yeah, at least for me Tarkovsky has been an acquired taste.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 4, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There's not a lot of filmmaker who do what Tarkovsky do, which is why his work may seem so off-putting at first. I had a similar problem with Bresson; I had to watch three of his films before he finally started to resonate with me.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't know that I'd call Tarkovsky an acquired taste, his style is pretty clear immediately and speaking for myself I fell in love right away within the first 10 minutes of Solaris. Maybe it's a taste that can be acquired, but I didn't have to work very hard myself.

In my experience, most people manage just fine with Solaris until they reach the highway scene, at which point they start to zone out. That kind of slow cinema is definitely an acquired taste for many.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 4, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I loved Antonioni before I'd ever seen a Tarkovsky film, so I suppose I'm probably just an outlier in that I was already primed to like films with a more meditative pace.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

In my experience, most people manage just fine with Solaris until they reach the highway scene, at which point they start to zone out. That kind of slow cinema is definitely an acquired taste for many.
Rewatching Solaris this year, I felt the opposite. That second-hand story told in a meandering way is where I started to lose focus because I don't recall another Tarkovsky movie where he spends so much time on the exposition, and it was the highway scene (now that I was expecting it, was a breeze to get through) where I was jolted back up, so to speak.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I don't disagree, but you're approaching the film as someone who's already accustomed to Tarkovsky's MO. If you're coming at it with a mindset primarily informed by the storytelling conventions of traditional Hollywood cinema, you may not love the exposition scenes, but they at least seem comfortably familiar (after all, starting your story with a meeting where characters explain the basic setup is sci-fi cliché #1), whereas characters wordlessly driving in a car for minutes on end very much don't. I'd go as far as arguing that its frequent exposition is what makes Solaris such a good introduction to Tarkovsky. It showcases his usual style while remaining relatively accessible in terms of plot and themes.

This isn't meant to be an elitist "dumb people just don't get it, man" screed; what I'm trying to drive at is that film-watching is much more of a skill than we generally assume, and like any skill, it's honed by experience. Most of us were trained in a very specific cinematic language from early on, so exposing yourself to a work that doesn't conform to some of our most basic assumptions (like "don't show a completely mundane act, such as driving along a normal road, if it doesn't serve to advance the plot") can seem very jarring.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't disagree, but you're approaching the film as someone who's already accustomed to Tarkovsky's MO. If you're coming at it with a mindset primarily informed by the storytelling conventions of traditional Hollywood cinema, you may not love the exposition scenes, but they at least seem comfortably familiar (after all, starting your story with a meeting where characters explain the basic setup is sci-fi cliché #1), whereas characters wordlessly driving in a car for minutes on end very much don't. I'd go as far as arguing that its frequent exposition is what makes Solaris such a good introduction to Tarkovsky. It showcases his usual style while remaining relatively accessible in terms of plot and themes.

This isn't meant to be an elitist "dumb people just don't get it, man" screed; what I'm trying to drive at is that film-watching is much more of a skill than we generally assume, and like any skill, it's honed by experience. Most of us were trained in a very specific cinematic language from early on, so exposing yourself to a work that doesn't conform to some of our most basic assumptions (like "don't show a completely mundane act, such as driving along a normal road, if it doesn't serve to advance the plot") can seem very jarring.
You know, now that I think about, those five minutes on the highway might have been used as a meditative break to process the implications of that previous twenty minute information dump that Tarkovsky carefully metes out.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I thought it was meant to symbolize the time to travel through space, otherwise it'd be just a weird jump cut from earth to landing on the station

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I loved Antonioni before I'd ever seen a Tarkovsky film, so I suppose I'm probably just an outlier in that I was already primed to like films with a more meditative pace.

I'm only just recently starting to gel with Antontioni. L'avVentura almost killed me a few years ago. I watched Blow Up last month and enjoyed it slightly more, and I watched L'Ecllise very recently and actually quite liked it.

I've never had much trouble with Bresson. His is less a languid pacing style and more a "bring your own emotion" style. If that goddamn donkey doesn't make you cry you have no heart.

And no discussion of slow cinema can be complete without mentioning Bela Tarr. Now there's a director whose odd style immediately resonated with me. Sitting through Satantango was a dream.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've never had much trouble with Bresson. His is less a languid pacing style and more a "bring your own emotion" style. If that goddamn donkey doesn't make you cry you have no heart.

Then call a cardiologist because you'd have to pay me to watch another Bresson film.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Then call a cardiologist because you'd have to pay me to watch another Bresson film.

Too bad. Which others have you seen?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samuel Clemens posted:

Understanding cinematic language is absolutely a skill, no question about it.

Similarly, even something as basic as reading is an incredibly complex adaptation of the plastic brain to symbolic language.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Spatulater bro! posted:

Too bad. Which others have you seen?

Balthazar twice, Country Priest, and most recently Pickpocket. He does nothing for me and I have absolutely no idea what other people see in his works. I understand the concepts, but they don’t hit me on any other level, so watching them is like eating shredded paper.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oddly enough, while it's usually considered one of his coldest films, L'Argent was the first Bresson that genuinely moved me. The ending is like a punch to the gut.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 5, 2018

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Balthazar twice, Country Priest, and most recently Pickpocket. He does nothing for me and I have absolutely no idea what other people see in his works. I understand the concepts, but they don’t hit me on any other level, so watching them is like eating shredded paper.

I feel similarly (didn't connect with either Balthazar or Pickpocket), but I still recommend A Man Escaped. If you don't like that one...never watch him again, haha.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oddly enough, while it's usually considered one of his coldest films, L'Argent was the first Bresson that genuinely moved me. The ending is like a punch to the gut.

I'm right there with you, I feel like it's pretty much a perfect movie while the best I'd say about any of the other three I've seen of his is that I didn't hate Pickpocket. I still need to see A Man Escaped and The Devil, Probably though.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
the soderbergh Solaris should be on Criterion too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does Criterion have any movie and it's remake too?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Detective No. 27 posted:

A Story of Floating Weeds / Floating Weeds

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh neat. I need to watch some Ozu.

Plus I just remembered I own Blow Up and Blow Out.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

In addition to the above, they have The Killers, which has the '46, '64, and Tarkovsky versions.

Their 12 Angry Men release also includes the original TV version. There's probably another one I can't remember right now, but those are the two I own.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Good Morning is a remake of I Was Born But...
Bottle Rocket includes the original short
His Girl Friday includes The Front Page (and if we're considering Blow Out a remake of Blow Up then The Awful Truth / HGF as well)
The Lower Depths, Magnificent Obsession, and Berlin Alexanderplatz all include two adaptations

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Depending how you feel what technically consists of a 'Remake', there's Blow-up and Blow Out.

Edit: I should actually read this thread before responding.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

You're a more open viewer than I am. Ordet is one of my favourite films, but every time I rewatch it, it takes me about half an hour before I manage to adjust to its idiosyncratic style.

Out of curiosity, which ones have you seen? There are definitely films by Tarkovsky which I find more laborious to watch than others.

I just really like human faces. If a movie has a cast with a lot of interesting looking people (and I don’t mean beautiful) and it shoots them well I’ll probably like it everything else notwithstanding

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I think the similarities between Blow-Up and Blow Out are kind of overstated. I wouldn't even say they're in the same genre. Like there's probably more of The Conversation in Blow Out's DNA than anything, and even then its hardly a 1:1 copy.

Blow Out is also not very good but whatever.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 6, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Lower Depths.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If Criterion finally put a decent Region A version of Far From Heaven out they'd have two remakes of All That Heaven Allows but not the original

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

But All That Heaven Allows is in the Collection. :confused:

Raxivace posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I Before E posted:

If Criterion finally put a decent Region A version of Far From Heaven out they'd have two remakes of All That Heaven Allows but not the original

Kino Lorber just announced it from their new Universal deal.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

m-m-mods!?!?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

I just really like human faces. If a movie has a cast with a lot of interesting looking people (and I don’t mean beautiful) and it shoots them well I’ll probably like it everything else notwithstanding

You must love Leone.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Saw Jonah who will be 25 in the year 2000 yesterday and it got me wondering - why is there no Alain Tanner in the collection?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Raxivace posted:

drat straight - it's amazing!

I'm really glad they rescued that movie from obscurity, because it is such a great thriller. It takes all the cool tricks from Dressed to Kill, but doesn't run out of steam before the end and aged really well.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

But All That Heaven Allows is in the Collection. :confused:

My mistake then

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber just announced it from their new Universal deal.

Oh hell yeah

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Cloks posted:

Saw Jonah who will be 25 in the year 2000 yesterday and it got me wondering - why is there no Alain Tanner in the collection?

If it's not a rights issue, probably because no one on the Criterion staff is a strong proponent of his work. Even among film buffs in continental Europe, Tanner isn't exactly a household name, and I assume he's even more obscure in North America.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Samuel Clemens posted:

If it's not a rights issue, probably because no one on the Criterion staff is a strong proponent of his work. Even among film buffs in continental Europe, Tanner isn't exactly a household name, and I assume he's even more obscure in North America.

That makes sense. If anyone is in Columbus, there's a month long retrospective of his work at the Wexner Center, after seeing that first film I can't recommend it enough.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Couldn't resist the TCM sale...

Tootsie
Blood Simple
The Breakfast Club
Midnight Cowboy
Bull Durham

A lot of it was stuff I was planning to eventually get but I wasn't sure when. I figured the sale was the best opportunity. Watching Bull Durham right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Is it just me or does the Sisters criterion blu-ray look pretty bad? Some shots look fine, others look terrible.