Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is true that the basically unregulated state of dietary poo poo is due to hatch
it's racked up quite the body count now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Kind of short on details but whatever

Bought An Expensive House. In Over My Head..

quote:

I'm a first time owner and I practically bought our dream home. I have great credit and a good job but even at the time a mortgage payment was about half of my monthly income. My company is on hard financial times and it seems inevitable I will lose this job soon. I make way above market rate and have been looking for something comparable but it every recruiter (when I do finally get a call) reminds me that I'm way out of the market rate, and unlikely to find something that will pay similar (I live in San Diego County, not a ton of tech jobs for my field).

Not a week goes by where I'm not freaked out about what happens around the corner... What do I do here? The anxiety is crippling.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Real comment from OP: "Hypothetical scenario -- I lose my job and am unable to pay the mortgage for a few months at least. What happens in this case?"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My Aunt is in very deep with a MLM company called Juice Plus.

Obviously, MLMs are BWM and I'm fairly sure she has lost money on it (she gives the family super positive email updates about making $2,000 a month in "sales" and "commitments" and not profit).

She just paid some unknown amount of money to go to a convention for Juice Plus that was *EXCLUSIVE* for top purchasers. So, she paid money to go to a convention because she had already paid them a lot of money.

She is not involved in politics or a news junkie at all. I'm pretty sure she has never voted and has definitely never given money to a political campaign.

At one of the seminars she attended, the representative from Juice Plus gave a huge speech about how great the company is, what miraculous health benefits it has, how it has changed lives, etc.

Then, they started talking about how all of these blessings are only able to change lives because of one amazing man - Senator Orrin Hatch from Utah. How he fought for the right to allow people to choose what to put into their bodies and protected vitamins from the processed food industry and government. In her latest update, my Aunt told us that she donated $500 to Orin Hatch's campaign.

She lives nowhere near Utah and I'm 99% sure that she had no idea who he was before this.

I'm p sure hatch isn't going for another term either lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Bwm: paying on full for your Tesla that definitely exists for real

smackfu posted:

How is the Tesla 100% paid off AND has a second payment coming up?

Vox Nihili posted:

He means that Tesla has received payment in full in anticipation of delivery, rather than a deposit. Presumably, making the payment required a loan, which he is now paying down on a monthly basis.

In Texas the free market has regulated that only dealerships can sell vehicles. This means Tesla takes all of your money in advance, titles the car in another state, and then transfers it to you. As I recall.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

CmdrRiker posted:

If that's what it is like purchasing the car, then I don't want to know what it is like getting the car serviced.

Whoa, we need to know what this guy's hobbies are. We can't expect anyone to give him sound advice until we're playing with the full deck of cards here.

Please be Funko Pop's

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, I WISH I lived in this fantasy world where model 3's are vaporware

I have to lay eyes on like 10 of those ugly bitches a day

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, I WISH I lived in this fantasy world where model 3's are vaporware

I have to lay eyes on like 10 of those ugly bitches a day

Way less ugly than many (most?) new cars on the road.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I just can't handle the Neo Matrix Mouth :negative:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elysium posted:

Mild BWM by this threads standards, but :lol: at this guy who thinks credit card rewards are only worth $100. I'll make sure to think of him from the $1400 hotel room I booked on points just this week or every time I book a flight on Southwest and get a second ticket for a companion free for the next two years.

The asterisk there is that people who go 100% cash tend to be more disciplined in their spending. For some people, the money they would avoid spending is higher than the value of the rewards they are foregoing.
All else equal though yeah, you're leaving money on the table if you don't use a rewards card for stuff.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

In Texas the free market has regulated that only dealerships can sell vehicles. This means Tesla takes all of your money in advance, titles the car in another state, and then transfers it to you. As I recall.

Michigan is definitely this way.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm p sure hatch isn't going for another term either lol

The MLM is way more BWM in the long run, but the announcement that she gave him $500 because the MLM lady told her to was completely out of nowhere and bizarre.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Erratic conduct from Tesla CEO Elon Musk has cost his investors some 20 billion dollars in the past 3 weeks. Talk about BWM.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Wasn't it zaurg exwife who was deep into juice plus and we found out because he had a separate budget line for "juice" that was way too much?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Odds on it actually being phenazepam?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Erratic conduct from Tesla CEO Elon Musk has cost his investors some 20 billion dollars in the past 3 weeks. Talk about BWM.

I was so close to pulling the trigger on shorting it after the FUNDING SECURED stable genius email. But then I decided not to travel down the BWM road of stock market gambling, and boy do I regret that wise decision!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Odds on it actually being phenazepam?

i mean at least you get some value out of that poo poo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

moana posted:

Wasn't it zaurg exwife who was deep into juice plus and we found out because he had a separate budget line for "juice" that was way too much?

Zaurgs wife was into candles and some kind of vitamin and women's clothing MLMs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Don't forget the wonderhangers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Haifisch posted:

Don't forget the wonderhangers.

I don't think the wonderhangers were an MLM. She was buying the MLM candles from someone and trying to sell the MLM clothes and vitamins herself.

Wonderhangers, gifts for family, bottled water, and expensive juice were all things she spent a ton on, but weren't MLMs.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Custom made chocolate bars. You know, those disposable wrappers and the quickly eaten insides? Bought for a 1 year old's birthday party, all while swimming in debt.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Custom made chocolate bars. You know, those disposable wrappers and the quickly eaten insides? Bought for a 1 year old's birthday party, all while swimming in debt.
What was custom about them. I dont understand. Did they spell the kids name when you bit into them? Did the wrappers contain some sort of game of chance? WHERE CAN I MAKE MY OWN?!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Suspicious Lump posted:

What was custom about them. I dont understand. Did they spell the kids name when you bit into them? Did the wrappers contain some sort of game of chance? WHERE CAN I MAKE MY OWN?!

Ask on Facebook and step back while a horde of Moms try to sell you theirs.

Half will be from an MLM. I just know that has to exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are those actually expensive?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Maybe she was just buying expensive MLM juice?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Operating under the reasonable principle "I'm rich and people bizzarely worship me, so I can do as I please" that got Steve Jobs through life.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Operating under the reasonable principle "I'm rich and people bizzarely worship me, so I can do as I please" that got Steve Jobs through life.

Just don’t rely on carrot juice if you follow this principle.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I wonder how hosed Jobs would have been if he could just blast any thought in his head immediately to 100 million people in 280 characters.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

He ended up pretty hosed by trying to cure cancer with fruit so

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Paul ReiserFS posted:

He ended up pretty hosed by trying to cure cancer with fruit so

The ultimate BWM

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Jobs was a loving rear end in a top hat so having the ability to tweet any random thought would have gone a long way to dispelling any good notions about his personality or managerial prowess. It would not have been a net positive.

I had a very short stint at Apple and during a training teleconference about HR policies and how we were supposed to treat co-workers I made a probably ill-advised comment that Steve Jobs violated all of these.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jobs was a loving rear end in a top hat so having the ability to tweet any random thought would have gone a long way to dispelling any good notions about his personality or managerial prowess. It would not have been a net positive.

Counterpoint: he didn't consistently have meltdowns during earnings calls, shareholder meetings, keynotes and other public events. I think he simply had a better handle on his public persona than 'ol Musky.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had a very short stint at Apple and during a training teleconference about HR policies and how we were supposed to treat co-workers I made a probably ill-advised comment that Steve Jobs violated all of these.
It wasn't ill-advised because you brought me joy here and now with it.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The ultimate BWM

Bad with mangos

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Motronic posted:

Counterpoint: he didn't consistently have meltdowns during earnings calls, shareholder meetings, keynotes and other public events. I think he simply had a better handle on his public persona than 'ol Musky.

Also that whole making money thing. That makes investors overlook a lot of other personality details.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

On a plane out to the oilfields today, sitting in front of two suits, one of whom is gushing about how his friend’s fitness store sells Herbalife shakes.

I want to be across the table for whatever deal they are coming to out here to make.

Update: educational consultants for the school district...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

crazypeltast52 posted:

On a plane out to the oilfields today, sitting in front of two suits, one of whom is gushing about how his friend’s fitness store sells Herbalife shakes.

I want to be across the table for whatever deal they are coming to out here to make.

Update: educational consultants for the school district...

Explains a lot, honestly.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i mean at least you get some value out of that poo poo

If you're gonna joose you need a "buying pianos on ebay" budget. And good health insurance for all the times the ocarina transports you to hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

gently caress MLMs, seriously