Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sounds like a Jaw Harp/Jew's harp for the buzzing. The instrument the guy is using appears to be a Hurdy Gurdy which sounds like a ren fair making GBS threads into your ear.

That was painful to watch lol.

E: welp that's what happens when I leave a window open for 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Every now and then, my phone (Google Nexus 5X) will be bluetooth'd into my car stereo and the volume will just drop suddenly. Trying to turn the volume back up will produce a warning message with the text "Are you sure you want to turn the volume up, you may damage your ears if using headphones?" with a choice of yes or no. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it does this. Is there a way I can turn that off?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Memento posted:

Every now and then, my phone (Google Nexus 5X) will be bluetooth'd into my car stereo and the volume will just drop suddenly. Trying to turn the volume back up will produce a warning message with the text "Are you sure you want to turn the volume up, you may damage your ears if using headphones?" with a choice of yes or no. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it does this. Is there a way I can turn that off?

I don't have a solution for you, but my Motorola Droid Turbo would do the same thing. I remember years ago having an MP3 player that had a volume limit with a warning on startup and it had to do with regulations in the EU market. Not sure if the phone thing is the same.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Qubee posted:

also, where can I find more music similar to this? I've listened to the bands other songs, but none of them sound as good to me as this one does. I really like the way the music is so sharp and jumpy, especially the flute bit.

As far as other music that sounds similar, it's giving me a lot of Blackmore's Night vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pSYRLZj8xs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoHfJaK5kcI

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Every now and then, my phone (Google Nexus 5X) will be bluetooth'd into my car stereo and the volume will just drop suddenly.

Along this same line... I listen to Spotify on my iphone in my car via bluetooth. Every single time I pass through a certain intersection in my town, Spotify will suddenly stop playing and prompt me to choose which device I want to use to listen to it (my iphone, tablet, or desktop). What could be causing this? The intersection houses a church, a couple of restaurants, and some stores. There's no cell phone tower or any other visible thing that could be causing interference. :iiam:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rabbit Hill posted:

Along this same line... I listen to Spotify on my iphone in my car via bluetooth. Every single time I pass through a certain intersection in my town, Spotify will suddenly stop playing and prompt me to choose which device I want to use to listen to it (my iphone, tablet, or desktop). What could be causing this? The intersection houses a church, a couple of restaurants, and some stores. There's no cell phone tower or any other visible thing that could be causing interference. :iiam:

Probably a wifi network that you're connecting to that has a wifi-enabled speaker or something that it wants to now play through. This happens to a lot of people I know locally who log onto a free xfinity hotspot once ever because basically every modem comcast rents has a wifi router in it that has a guest xfinity network running.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

This is a stupid question that can be answered by "smell it" but I won't be home for a while so...

I froze a package of ground beef in late July (package said freeze by July 31). I defrosted in my fridge Sunday night. It's now Wednesday... is it good to cook up? Looks fine. Can't smell for a while. Answer my stupid question, please.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WerthersWay posted:

This is a stupid question that can be answered by "smell it" but I won't be home for a while so...

I froze a package of ground beef in late July (package said freeze by July 31). I defrosted in my fridge Sunday night. It's now Wednesday... is it good to cook up? Looks fine. Can't smell for a while. Answer my stupid question, please.

Should be ok, however...

wait for it...

still waiting...

Smell it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Really silly question now. Just started using twitter (well following people more than using really).
What does #GTTO stand for?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Really silly question now. Just started using twitter (well following people more than using really).
What does #GTTO stand for?

Get To The Orifice

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Get To The Orifice

Thanks - and my next question.... what does that mean (sorry I'm an Old).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks - and my next question.... what does that mean (sorry I'm an Old).

If you're British, #GTTO means Get The Tories Out.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ulmont posted:

If you're British, #GTTO means Get The Tories Out.

That makes a LOT more sense :D Thanks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nighthand posted:

As far as other music that sounds similar, it's giving me a lot of Blackmore's Night vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pSYRLZj8xs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoHfJaK5kcI

You nailed it, I really like both of these. Thanks.

Completely random question, why is Chinese cuisine so weird? I mean, I know to Chinese citizens, it's not weird. But to an uncultured Westerner, a lot of what they eat seems stomach turning. I just watched a youtube video of a Chinese restaurant and the food looked awful. Historically speaking, why did their cuisine develop in such a way? Westerners find the thought of eating bugs and stuff disgusting, because they're insects. But Chinese people love it, along with pig's foot and stuff. They also eat tripe, which I didn't even know was a thing until I started playing Dwarf Fortress and fed my dwarves tripe since it was easy to get ahold of, but when I googled what it even was, it was gross.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Qubee posted:

Completely random question, why is Chinese cuisine so weird? I mean, I know to Chinese citizens, it's not weird. But to an uncultured Westerner, a lot of what they eat seems stomach turning. I just watched a youtube video of a Chinese restaurant and the food looked awful. Historically speaking, why did their cuisine develop in such a way? Westerners find the thought of eating bugs and stuff disgusting, because they're insects. But Chinese people love it, along with pig's foot and stuff. They also eat tripe, which I didn't even know was a thing until I started playing Dwarf Fortress and fed my dwarves tripe since it was easy to get ahold of, but when I googled what it even was, it was gross.

Availability. All cultures think that other culture’s foods are odd.

Americans didn’t need 5000 ways to eat grasshopper.

Chinese didn’t need 5000 ways to eat cow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Qubee posted:

Like which Chinese cuisine are you thinking of cuz there's at least a few dozen major regional cuisines with a whole bunch of subcuisines; and also a lot of the "out there" stuff is things that were popular in certain regions for certain time periods usually because of a shortage of "normal" food. And often that weird stuff isn't what people are eating day to day anymore but the restaurants will still make it for tourism and special events.

Also stuff like tripe and pig's feet used to be pretty popular in the west for the same reasons, and regions of places like France will still use them quite a bit.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I can only speak to Taiwanese cuisine, but bugs are not very common. You can get fried bees in the countryside, but most people generally think eating bugs is as gross as most Americans do.

Aside from the standard bromide answers (cultural tastes are different, offal is eaten out of necessity etc etc) something I think is notable is that cows traditionally in Chinese culture are considered draft animals, plough pullers. Eating a cow historically was a sign of either extreme wealth or extreme poverty.

unless you're a Chinese Muslim. or unless you come from a part of China with lots of grazing land. any time you're talking about China there's going to be a billion unlesses.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Robokomodo posted:

Availability. All cultures think that other culture’s foods are odd.

Americans didn’t need 5000 ways to eat grasshopper.

Chinese didn’t need 5000 ways to eat corn.

FTFY

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Humans are supposed to eat insects, the only reason we ever stopped was because the world was taken over by the humans that moved to the part of the world where there are no good insects for eating. Europeans only associated insects with decay and rot, and brought that attitude of disgust to the rest of the world when they colonized it.

Insects are by far a superior source of nutrition in pretty much every way to almost every other animal we eat, especially cows.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lobsters, crabs, and shrimp are basically bugs and westerners gobble that poo poo up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

A hell of a lot of Chinese people are poor. China also has a lot of people so they have to branch out into "icky" things by necessity. Even though people are saying "there are no good eatin' bugs in Europe" that also isn't entirely true. You can eat a lot of ant species and last I checked those are everywhere. Of course another difference is that Europe doesn't have huge piles of bugs year round; warmer, more humid places (like, say, most of China) do. That also means bigger bugs on top of more plentiful bugs. I think another issue is that most of the bugs you find in Europe gently caress up your crops something fierce so you hated the drat things with the notable exception of, of course, bees. Europe looooooves honey. Like was said Europe kind of exported that attitude with colonization.

The other thing is that bugs are perceived for whatever reason as a less than ideal food. As food becomes more plentiful people discard less appetizing but perfectly edible things like pig's feed and tripe. Believe it or not but that stuff was also consumed like crazy in Europe. Look up traditional recipes in various parts of the world; there is stuff that you very specifically cooked in a sheep's stomach. When colonization made Europe wealth all of the Cool and Good people (i.e., people with money) only ate the good bits and cast off the rest. This is why certain foods are viewed as only fit for poor people.

I'm going to assume that you're an American; believe it or not but the plenty we've seen in America after World War II is historically unheard of. Even in the 1950's people were still chowing down on basically everything. This was especially true of people that lived through the Great Depression. Once the post-war period really got into full swing and the prosperity of the 1960's and 1970's kicked in the "bad" parts of animals or even entire classes of food were discarded. Now you have people who don't know of a world where you have to eat a pig's food or a blood sausage because sometimes that's all you can afford. Incidentally that also gave us the idea of keeping up appearances. If you're eating bugs you must be desperate and that means you're poor which means something is very wrong with you. Of course good old racism plays a part too. Look at what those people eat! That's so gross. It's proof that they're inferior.

Meanwhile somebody that's grown up eating basically anything edible is like "what's the big deal?" Of course among some people getting away from those associations can be difficult. I love me some pickled beets but I've had a lot of people react to that with "...what is WRONG with you?!?"

Of course in America before the Europeans showed up the natives had all kinds of ways to eat bugs. If memory serves the Iroquois had a particular kind of basket they used to dig up ant nests. They'd hold it over a fire and roll it around until all the sand and dirt was gone but a bunch of roasted ants were left. Termites are apparently perfectly edible and they're often plentiful anywhere there's trees.

A prime example of how warped American diets ultimately are is how much meat we eat. The assumption is that you should have meat with every single meal. That is historically absurd. Vegetarians exist so you obviously don't specifically need meat but the amount of it you should eat is practically nonexistent. However we gravitate toward meaty and sweet things as those aren't exactly easy to get in natural human surroundings. You want to scarf down as much of it as you can get because who the gently caress knows when you'll see it next? Of course now you can eat nothing but sugar-covered meat every single meal if you want and, well, we often do. So because we are wired to eat that first we scarf it down then never get around to eating anything else because oh hey there's more sugar and meat!

A poor person in a less wealthy nation probably only eats like that occasionally. That person is way closer to a natural diet than we are. It's easy to get into the territory of "...but they're eating THAT ICKY THING!!!!" if you've never eaten it. If they were really that icky you wouldn't see a street vendor in China with 10,000 scorpions on sticks selling them to half the people that wander by.

edit: Also human taste is a weird thing; it's influenced most heavily by what you grew up eating. If you grow up eating bugs then that, to you is, perfectly normal. If you are exposed to few foods growing up then it's more likely that you'll be a picky adult.

Western culture right now seems to be dipping its toes in the water of bug eating for a lot of reasons. The big one was already mentioned; bugs are a very good source of protein. In America we eat downright absurd amounts of beef and that right there is one of the least efficient foods possible. A lot of people are looking at the inefficiency and the methane and thinking "there's got to be a better way." Some of these people try bugs and go "...hey this actually isn't bad."

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 6, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Mak0rz posted:

Lobsters, crabs, and shrimp are basically bugs and westerners gobble that poo poo up.

Also all that bullshit about how "lobsters were fed to prisoners in the 1700s and they rioted" is because before refrigeration and such, they basically died and rotted unless you ate them as soon as you caught them

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also all that bullshit about how "lobsters were fed to prisoners in the 1700s and they rioted" is because before refrigeration and such, they basically died and rotted unless you ate them as soon as you caught them

Well that and they only got leftovers once everyone else picked lobsters for use or further sell.

So find the last chunk of Lobster that didn't sell, and give meals of it to prisoners for cheap not so tasty food. Unsurprisingly leads to resentment.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Its hard because I have a lot of trouble with jobs where there is a lot of down time or I spend too much time in the office. For a long-term kind of job I need something that keeps me both physically and mentally active like 90% of the time. In terms of what I actually want to get into I've been looking at apprenticeships for things like electrician or jobs with electric companies that have apprenticeships. Does anyone know anything specifically about apprenticeships in WA state or in general and could give me some tips about what they're looking for? The listed minimum requirements are all extremely minimum and my understanding is they often have wait lists or are competitive, I just am not sure how to get an edge.

Has anyone here been a stay at home parent then gone back to work? I'm really interested in how I should spin my time at home during job interviews and such, my wife sent me an article that says just talk about it as little as possible without lying, but a three/four year gap in employment needs explanation in my opinion.

If you can piss clean and do halfway decent on a Civil Service exam, the Post Office is hiring.

If you're willing to work on Mercer Island, I hear they're desperate.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

As mentioned, it's all what you're used to. How many people here have no problem eating bee vomit? Or bottom feeders and filter feeders like catfish, clams, mussels? Most here would react with disgust at the notion of eating a spider but might eat a horseshoe crab which is more closely related to spiders than to other crabs. Why are arthropods like lobsters, crabs, and crawfish a-ok but arthropods like cockroaches aren't, and scorpions fall somewhere in-between? Egg whites are basically mucus, but I bet you have no problem eating eggs but wouldn't eat someone's nasal secretions.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A poll: when traveling in a country where English is not the native language but almost everyone speaks it (especially in hotels/restaurants), is it best to ask if a person speaks English (either in English or preferably their native tongue), or just assume it?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Traveling through Munich last year, I made the assumption that hotel staff would speak English, but did my best to communicate when I could in German. The locals seemed to appreciate it.

More often than not when I called a business I would have to ask if they spoke English – it just seems polite.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

kedo posted:

A poll: when traveling in a country where English is not the native language but almost everyone speaks it (especially in hotels/restaurants), is it best to ask if a person speaks English (either in English or preferably their native tongue), or just assume it?

I've always taken a moment to learn "do you speak English" in the native language. Even if it's a country where they surely do, it's just polite imo.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
"I always do this thing and it never works. I will keep trying though, because at some point it has to work." (betting on black, or picking up women e.g.)

What kind of logic error is that? Sunk cost fallacy?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

"I always do this thing and it never works. I will keep trying though, because at some point it has to work." (betting on black, or picking up women e.g.)

What kind of logic error is that? Sunk cost fallacy?

Gambler's Fallacy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Thanks, regulargonzalez!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
How did the word "babe" go from

"You remind me of the babe. The babe with the power"

To

"Whoa hot babes with big boobs awoooooga!!!"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

To

"Baby"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alan Smithee posted:

To

The "you remind me of the babe" bit predates Labyrinth, and I'm pretty sure that Magic Dance aside the meaning was the same then as in your second example. (Plus it's kind of ambiguous whether he's talking about Toby or Sarah in that song to begin with.)

e: this article suggests that calling other people "baby" as a casual endearment dates back at least to 1835 (although, hilariously, it was something you could call anyone), romantic use of the term is extant as far back as 1860, and morphs into "babe" by 1915

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 6, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: doublepost

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

If you can piss clean and do halfway decent on a Civil Service exam, the Post Office is hiring.

If you're willing to work on Mercer Island, I hear they're desperate.

how do you know where I live? Does the Post Office care about pot in the states that its legal? I was just checking out their website and the fedex/usps sites for that stuff. Claims adjuster seems like fun and almost exactly what I'd like but nothing in my area. Going to have to keep my eyes open on that one.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The Goon Doctor doesn't seem to have a general thread for small issues so this seems like the next best place.

Does anyone here have experience with using silicone gel for scar reduction? Specifically for treatment of relatively small keloids. Silicone gel was recommended to me to help reduce their size and discoloration, but I'm unsure if certain brands are more effective than others or if it doesn't really matter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Does the Post Office care about pot in the states that its legal?

It's federal dude, of course they care.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nearly any job that dug tests is going to hold pot against you regardless of whether or not it's legal in your state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deep socket isn't deep enough to access a bolt. Whats the right tool for the job? 15mm head.