Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, I ended up going by the GW store near me today, so I just ended up picking up the Deathwing Command Squad set with Caliban Green and some other colors. Still, I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to watch that Hobby Cheats paint guide video later.

What's a good choice for plastic glue? (I figured it wasn't worth buying the Citadel brand) Would I be okay with the Testors Liquid Cement?: https://www.amazon.com/Testors-3507AT-Liquid-Plastic-1-Ounce/dp/B00005CA7S/ref=sr_1_2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I bought that same liquid cement, since it's what I used to use as a kid, when it came with a metal tip. It works very well, but for some reason it takes forever to reach the tip of the applicator, and waiting for it to reach the tip takes up a lot of my building time, no joke.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Use a lighter to heat the tip and get things moving. Huff the fumes

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

always be closing posted:

I bought that same liquid cement, since it's what I used to use as a kid, when it came with a metal tip. It works very well, but for some reason it takes forever to reach the tip of the applicator, and waiting for it to reach the tip takes up a lot of my building time, no joke.

I came across an old 8oz tube of it, but when I think it was half dried, and whenever I tried to squeeze any out, it would just pour out without stopping. I don't know if I still have it or if it got thrown out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Forget needle applicators, Tamiya cement and extra thin cement are the best, after having only used contacta pro for years.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Will the ammonia in glass cleaner harm the seals on an airbrush?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Seen many posts swearing by it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cat Face Joe posted:

It'll weaken the rubber seals, yeah. Dries them out and they'll eventually deteriorate and become useless.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Not if you use it as a cleaner or whatever, basically as long as you don't soak your airbrush in Windex for hours it will be fine. There was an official statement from the dude who owns Badger to that effect.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I just use loctite for pretty much all my gluing, to be honest. Where it doesn't want to work I apply a little talcum powder with a toothpick.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Loctite Pro is good for resin/pewter, but HIPS is so much easier to work with when you use plastic cement. It has a much wider margin of error, and the final hold is a lot stronger too (which may be a bad thing if you like to rip your minis apart later to change stuff).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Avenging Dentist posted:

Loctite Pro is good for resin/pewter, but HIPS is so much easier to work with when you use plastic cement. It has a much wider margin of error, and the final hold is a lot stronger too (which may be a bad thing if you like to rip your minis apart later to change stuff).

True. I also have the complication that a lot of 1/72 soft plastics (which is, well, most 1/72 non-metals) don't take glue well, while Loctite's primer+glue combo usually works just fine on them as well as other plastics and metals.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

I use ammonia-free glass cleaner for that reason.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ijyt posted:

Forget needle applicators, Tamiya cement and extra thin cement are the best, after having only used contacta pro for years.

I decided to go with the extra thin Tamiya cement here instead: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMYWYC/

I know this is an odd question, but is there a thread for model kits like Gundams and whatnot? That was something that popped up in the related products, and was something else I thought about doing.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 6, 2018

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
I would absolutely second Tamiya extra thin cement, I was previously using some citadel glue and wanted something that I could use to form a more seamless join between parts. It's very effective, and my only worry is that the wicked fumes it gives off are slowly killing me (so I ventilate and use a mask if I'm slathering it on terrain).

-edit- For plastic to plastic applications, not suggesting you try to glue plastic to metal with it or anything.

BurlapNapkin fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 6, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Max Wilco posted:

I decided to go with the extra thin Tamiya cement here instead: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMYWYC/

I know this is an odd question, but is there a thread for model kits like Gundams and whatnot? That was something that popped up in the related products, and was something else I thought about doing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

BurlapNapkin posted:

I would absolutely second Tamiya extra thin cement, I was previously using some citadel glue and wanted something that I could use to form a more seamless join between parts. It's very effective, and my only worry is that the wicked fumes it gives off are slowly killing me (so I ventilate and use a mask if I'm slathering it on terrain).

To be honest, for big stuff I'd probably use regular Tamiya. It has a stronger hold.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

BurlapNapkin posted:

-edit- For plastic to plastic applications, not suggesting you try to glue plastic to metal with it or anything.

If you're really worried about the fumes, theres always this

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87113limonene_cement/index.htm

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

To be honest, for big stuff I'd probably use regular Tamiya. It has a stronger hold.

I’ve built terrain using extra thin and its held up fine, using the capillary action method.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Symetrique posted:

If you're really worried about the fumes, theres always this

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87113limonene_cement/index.htm

For like 20 years I've been trying to figure out why my blue-tube of model glue smelled like lemon jellybeans and now I know. Nice!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
How does it taste?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Eifert Posting posted:

How does it taste?

Revell Contacta tastes awful.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Eifert Posting posted:

How does it taste?

The orange-tube stuff I originally used smelled awful and the fumes made me feel dizzy so I got the blue-tube stuff that was labeled non-toxic. I never ate it though?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Eifert Posting posted:

How does it taste?
Unfortunately, gluing his mouth shut won't stop his constant poo poo-posting. :downsrim:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Thanks. Was getting ready to soak the brush and could not for the life of me get the seals off. After a lot of cautious yet dangerous work I managed to get them off in one piece.

darnon posted:

I use ammonia-free glass cleaner for that reason.

The only ammonia free ones were also scented so your windows can get that fresh breeze scent.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Schadenboner posted:

The orange-tube stuff I originally used smelled awful and the fumes made me feel dizzy so I got the blue-tube stuff that was labeled non-toxic. I never ate it though?

Was that the old orange-tube Testors glue?

Man, that stuff is the original old-skool glue huffers ambrosia. Wonder how many brain cells I killed getting a whiff of that stuff when I was a kid building models.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was that the old orange-tube Testors glue?

Man, that stuff is the original old-skool glue huffers ambrosia. Wonder how many brain cells I killed getting a whiff of that stuff when I was a kid building models.

Think so, yeah. The blue nontoxic one smelled like lemons. :3:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

For anyone who used and liked them, Reaper are discontinuing production of the MSP HD paint series

quote:

Dear Reaper Nation,

Please note that effective immediately that we are ceasing production of our MSP High Density (HD) Paint Line. We will not be mixing, pumping, or bottling any new MSP HD Paints.

The product codes affected by this are:
29801-29854 MSP HD Single Bottles
09961 MSP HD Set #1
09962 MSP HD Set #2
09964 MSP HD Set #3
09965 MSP HD Caddy Set
09972 MSP Essentials Set
00974: MSP High Density (HD) Countertop Rack
00971: MSP Essentials Paint Rack

We will continue to ship all existing MSP HD products in our inventory until the time when stock levels are depleted. After that time, these MSP HD Paint products will be considered Discontinued or Out of Print (OOP).

Just to be clear, this cancellation only affects the MSP HD line (29800 series) of paints; MSP Core Colors and MSP Bones Ultra Coverage paints will remain unchanged.cleardot.gif

Thank you!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

For anyone who used and liked them, Reaper are discontinuing production of the MSP HD paint series

LOL, good thing I already started moving over to Vallejo Extra Opaque!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I've really liked all the Scale75 paints I've picked up, if anyone needs another high-pigment alternative. They're sooo matte.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NTRabbit posted:

gently caress me, those are half the paints I use

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Do we know why they're discontinuing that line?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

X-Posting. Haven't finished a unit in ages.

ijyt posted:

Painted some boiz.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

Do we know why they're discontinuing that line?

I didn't see them give a reason

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Working on the Kill Team contents, love the Genestealer Cult models!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Finished the bulk of a skirmish force for Age of Sigmar, just need a couple archers and a leader.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Count_Brass posted:

Working on the Kill Team contents, love the Genestealer Cult models!

Awesome job!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm doing a Stalingrad army for Flames of War, and decided to put a little effort into the bases, for once. I almost always do lazy paint -> flock -> done bases.

The guys are obviously WIP. I think the bases are pretty decent, but I feel like they need a little something more, I'm just not sure what.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
About...half done with my Kill Team board. A couple more big terrain pieces to put together, and then it’s painting flocking and water effect’ing everything, plus a bunch of stacks of rusty barrels and boxes for smaller cover to throw everywhere. Also need to spray down and seal the bottom of the board in case it gets wet, MDF doesn’t like moisture at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Oops wrong thread

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 10, 2018