Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

RCarr posted:

Its hard to describe. Gunplay feels more arcadey, more CoD-ish. The graphics somehow look worse than BF4 and BF1. I dont get why DICE has such a hard on for contrast between pitch black shadows and blinding light. Everything is either too dark to see or too bright to see. Ive always had this issue to some extent with Bf games, but I CANNOT see enemies half the time, due to the crazy contrast of light/dark everywhere on the map. Im sure the beta will grow on me as I get used to it and learn the maps, but Im pretty underwhelmed so far.

fwiw I was pretty so-so on the beta for the first few hours but as Ive put in more time and adjusted to the gameplay changes Im starting to like the game a lot. Completely agree with you on it being difficult to spot enemies, although weirdly thats only an issue on console for me and I can see them just fine on PC. Probably just need to tweak some graphics settings in-game and/or on my TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Noctone posted:

fwiw I was pretty so-so on the beta for the first few hours but as Ive put in more time and adjusted to the gameplay changes Im starting to like the game a lot. Completely agree with you on it being difficult to spot enemies, although weirdly thats only an issue on console for me and I can see them just fine on PC. Probably just need to tweak some graphics settings in-game and/or on my TV.

After playing some more it's growing on me as well. I'm sure playing the full game instead of just a small sample will be infinitely better.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
Has bullet drop been eliminated? The gun play feels off.

General_Malaise
Dec 28, 2004

Try the clams... I insist.
College Slice
Really enjoying the beta so far. The only real criticism I've had is that it feels like the conquest flags flip very quickly. On points where there's several vertical levels (like B and D on the snow map or A and E on Rotterdam), there's often not a lot of time to find the enemy to engage before the flag flips just on population alone.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

RCarr posted:

After playing some more it's growing on me as well. I'm sure playing the full game instead of just a small sample will be infinitely better.

Yeah there's that too. The fact that I'm liking the beta this much despite it probably being a very limited version of what the full game will be has me very hyped for launch (which the beta makes painfully obvious why it had to be delayed).

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
It seems spotting was removed or at least significantly reduced? every time I try to Q something it puts a shield icon over where I aimed. I haven't seen anyone else's icons so I'm not even sure if I'm letting anyone know where enemies are.

Then I tried doing some strafing runs in planes and I couldn't tell where anyone was at all since there's no spotting icons anymore so that really sucks.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Only specific gadgets give the old school spotting. No more easy Doritos, DICE mentioned it as a specific goal for the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know, has there been any indication at all that the game will feature any nations besides Britain and Germany? I have to imagine the US will make it in because lol. But I haven't heard a peep or seen anything about Japan, Italy, Russia or anyone else, not even in their "Tides of War" preview for upcoming content.

I think people have just been taking it for granted the others will be in. But I dunno, the customization scheme may rule all.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 6, 2018

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
One of the pieces of concept art in the latest trailer was definitely German panzers on the Russian steppes. There's no way they won't be covering the eastern front. And of course we'll get US after D-Day, possibly also using them in North Africa mid war, and in Italy too.

I'd like to think, but can only speculate, they'd go Pacific theatre too. They'll have all the US voice files (honestly the most time consuming part of adding a faction IMO), plus Shermans. The only thing putting me off calling it for sure is that jungle maps are hard to get right, and the Japanese have terrible tank options. I'd love a jungle version of Argonne for the PTO though, that'd own.

I wouldn't even mind them being a bit cheeky, and replaying a couple of appropriate BF1 maps in BFV. Some locations have been fought over in multiple wars. Make it a limited event thing even, just update the assets to be appropriate for 194X and bill it as the Back to Empire's Edge event etc.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I chose to play destiny 2 foreskin over the beta for a second time, which I guess isn't a good sign.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Lmao you can spawn on a squad mate who is parachuting and drop to your death, hitting the ground before the game finishes zooming in on your dude

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Worried my controller was broke because i was getting thumbstick drift in the V beta. Played BF1 & overwatch to test but they were completely unaffected and it worked fine. Anyone else getting this? :iiam:

Sorry to repost but are other XBoner goons getting drifting aim in the beta? thiss bizarre as hell and as far as i can test my controllers fine.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Only specific gadgets give the old school spotting. No more easy Doritos, DICE mentioned it as a specific goal for the game.

Is a worthy goal if it comes with something else. In consoles very few people press Q. Is teamwork, and teamwork is a unheard of concept. Anything that nerf teamwork (for the very few people that care more about the team victory more than personal score) can be a good thing if is to achieve something else.

I guest this something else is a more "been there" feeling, where weapons feel like a complicate piece of iron you shot lead at deadly speeds... more than magic wands or pea shooters.

I dunno, I love almost all BF games, and I love them greatly, It would be weird if this one is the exception.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 6, 2018

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
This will only be the third BF game I've played but don't they all launch kind of buggy, unbalanced, and not nearly feature complete after a somewhat underwhelming beta?

As long as it hits that same BF sweet spot between action and scale it'll probably be fine.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

sunday at work posted:

This will only be the third BF game I've played but don't they all launch kind of buggy, unbalanced, and not nearly feature complete after a somewhat underwhelming beta?

My spies say that yes, not only that, but alpha/betas usually have very littel of the final game kits, so you can only appreciate the game once is released, the beta is a poor man version of it.

Anyway the news-piece is not that. A underwelming demo. But the lack of hype for this game. They have yet to show us something that have us saying "Yay, I want that!".

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've put a good amount of time into the beta now and it's just not good. I'll probably get the game just in hopes it's a better product than this, but man am I disappointed.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
trying to play with friends is seriously frustrating, how do you fix it not letting you change squads at all? and randomly splitting squads in 2?

game is fun when it works. the low ammo supplies are kinda weird.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

trying to play with friends is seriously frustrating, how do you fix it not letting you change squads at all? and randomly splitting squads in 2?

game is fun when it works. the low ammo supplies are kinda weird.

That's a beta thing that will certainly be fixed before the game releases. Or never fixed :dice:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

RCarr posted:

That's a beta thing that will certainly be fixed before the game releases. Or never fixed :dice:

wonder how they hosed it up, surely they can just cut and paste from bf1 or 4?

lol if you go on reddit theres a poo poo tonne of dog whistle racism and sexism.
they are really mad there's a black dude with an stg in some of the art because REE THE NAZIS WHERE WHITE MEN but not all of them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Arabian_Legion

Also lol:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

I love it when Reddit does this, especially for Battlefront 2. They really buy into the front page of the internet idea when actually they are maybe 1,000 people complaining about a game that sold/will sell millions.

E: btw how long is this beta? I downloaded it last night but havent played it yet.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I want evil turks in my videogames. Evil turks was enough a thing in some point of story that we had a evil turk with fez in one of the indiana jones movies. If BFV allow me to use a fez while I drive a panzer, it will be worth it, even if we all end in femnist extermination camps where males are exterminated before the end of the year.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Sorry to repost but are other XBoner goons getting drifting aim in the beta? thiss bizarre as hell and as far as i can test my controllers fine.

That posters sticks probably have drift, but the older games have a more generous default deadzone.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I will say that the default LMG is bad. 25 round mag and it takes forever to reload it because you have to admire the shape of the stupid magazine first.

Having slow look while ADS will take getting used to.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

E: btw how long is this beta? I downloaded it last night but havent played it yet.

Ends 7 AM PT on the 11th.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Jimbot posted:

I will say that the default LMG is bad. 25 round mag and it takes forever to reload it because you have to admire the shape of the stupid magazine first.

The EK7 or whatever it's called? I kinda like it. Mows down enemies pretty fast but yeah, could use a bigger mag.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Getting rid of spotting was such a bad choice. I tried being a recon and using the spotting scope as much as possible, but it just seems like a total waste. Half the guys I spotted, I would have been better off just shooting. And spotting, then switching to the sniper to shoot takes too long and is pointless. Spotting was probably my favorite feature of the BF series and it physically pains me that it's gone.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
OTOH, gently caress spotting.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Noctone posted:

Ends 7 AM PT on the 11th.

Tusen Takk

By the way in that one trailer where the Norwegian lady pushes that person off the bridge, does anyone here know if she was speaking nynorsk? I took Norwegian in college, but they only teach bokmal and it didn't sound like "Jeg elsker deg" for "I love you"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

RCarr posted:

Getting rid of spotting was such a bad choice. I tried being a recon and using the spotting scope as much as possible, but it just seems like a total waste. Half the guys I spotted, I would have been better off just shooting. And spotting, then switching to the sniper to shoot takes too long and is pointless. Spotting was probably my favorite feature of the BF series and it physically pains me that it's gone.

I also love spotting. But DICE has been making the same game since 1942. For BF to continue existing, BF have to shake up the formula with every version.

I am repeating myself, but maybe is worth it: is okay to drop a cool feature, if you add another cool feature at the same time that require the other to be removed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tei posted:

I also love spotting. But DICE has been making the same game since 1942. For BF to continue existing, BF have to shake up the formula with every version.

I am repeating myself, but maybe is worth it: is okay to drop a cool feature, if you add another cool feature at the same time that require the other to be removed.

I mean personally, I would rather they keep it the same gameplay wise, and just make new maps/weapons/vehicles/gadgets each game. The game play is perfect, that's why I love the series.

What is the cool new feature they replaced spotting with that makes it ok? Because I haven't found one.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
3D spotting is a plague and I'm glad they essentially abolished it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I love you drone, I would marry you if it where legal.

General_Malaise
Dec 28, 2004

Try the clams... I insist.
College Slice

Jimbot posted:

The KE7 LMG becomes very nice once you purchase the upgrades but before that it feels awful unless on the bipod. Once I bought better hip fire, higher fire rate, less vertical recoil and faster ads it becomes a much better gun.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I would be more ok with the removal of spotting if they also removed the awful lens flare effect from the sun. Though I haven't played the beta so idk if that's still in.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I like the birds in Rotterdam.
It's also pretty cool that all the stuff on the buildings etc is in Dutch.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

General_Malaise posted:

The KE7 LMG becomes very nice once you purchase the upgrades but before that it feels awful unless on the bipod. Once I bought better hip fire, higher fire rate, less vertical recoil and faster ads it becomes a much better gun.

I'll have to get the vertical recoil because even with the bipod it's ridiculous. They kept all the crappy thing about the LMG but took away its one defining feature - magazine size. I also really don't like the new squad size. 4 people is bad.

Edit: Despite my complains, I'm really enjoying it. The rhythm is different but aside from a few issues, it's a good Battlefield game. I do hope they add in the Henry-martini or the year equivalent because that game was really darn fun to use, even though I was pretty bad with it.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 6, 2018

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The game auto assigned me the name DantesTinyWeenis

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I rather like the beta, mostly because I dont totally suck at it, and the Sten rules. I also like that reviving someone feels much quicker than it did in 1 and it doesnt take up a gadget slot.

Sure, there are some mad bugs, but its :dice: (and a beta).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cultural Marxist posted:

I also like that reviving someone feels much quicker than it did in 1 and it doesnt take up a gadget slot.

Reviving in BF1 was instantaneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cultural Marxist posted:

I also like that reviving someone feels much quicker than it did in 1 and it doesnt take up a gadget slot.

:psyduck: