Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Queen Combat posted:

Maybe like three episodes prior, it wraps up some stuff. I generally liked season 10 as a whole. The finale is worth watching that past season, and I can agree orgalorg is poo poo.

I loved the way the finale wrapped up the whole Orgalorg thing as well "Gunther has the wish crown, everyone dogpile him! He's an evil space alien in the shape of a penguin ~ o wait nevermind, he just wanted to be the new Ice King. Also a drum kit I guess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The whole Orgalorg thing was the low point of the show, followed by Stakes, and the elemental stuff. The rest of the show was okay, but not entirely needed for the finale. All you need to really know is:

• During the "Elements" thing, they say that there are Fire and Ice elementals, and Slime and Candy for some reason (PB being the Candy one). She can shoot candy from her hands.
  • Marcaline can turn into this giant cloud that is Ram-shaped for some reason.
  • Also during "Elements", the world gets overwritten by each element. LSP reverses it in a big dumb way. This also undoes three of her relatives being transformed into candy citizens. They're seeking revenge (although one is transformed back into candy before the finale). This is the most important part of the finale.

I would watch the Islands mini though, because that lets you know what happened to Finn's mother.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Why was Orgalorg bad?

Also I liked Stakes. Can’t remember if I saw Elementals.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It's just a big fart of filler that really took what the show was working towards off-track. To me, it wasn't fun, and instead felt like trying to shovel serialized garbage down the viewer's throat for the sake of filling in backstory. And none of the backstory came back to mattering in the end, to the point where the finale makes fun of it.

Say what you want about Finn and Flame Princess, at least that two-season arc was full of zany fun, even within the specific episodes. Orgalorg was just kind of bleh with a bleh conclusion that didn't affect anything in the end. And I liked most of Adventure Time's serials, like Elementals and Stakes. Even Islands was able to balance comedy with backstory.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Finale was neat in that they apparently included every still living character on the show, and had a cute little epilogue sequence at the end.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Orgalorg was dumb because they took a one line joke from an early season as an excuse to make a big bad villian. It was a terrible design and they really reached to try to make it work with a penguin.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It was supposed to be a movie and got butchered down into episodes, small wonder it's all over the place.

But I feel like Stakes is unquestionably good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I personally also liked Elementals because I enjoyed how balls-to-the-walls crazy they went with their world, which is always fun.
Island was neat.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't want to derail this thread too much since there's an active Adventure Time thread. But I was just trying to give some context in case anyone wanted to watch the finale.

That said, I guess I was only soured on Stakes because the ending wasn't good imo. It turned into some kind of Naruto battle.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Are there any good resources for finding animation production cels other than eBay? Or am I just going to have to get lucky at a garage sale one day?

(Also really want to meet the person willing to pay $500 for an original cel from a Quisp cereal commercial. There are cels from NIMH and Disney productions going for less than that.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Depends on your price range. Gallery cels or like BS cels?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Not looking for anything too fancy or expensive, just wondering if there was a better site to browse through for options. eBay is fine because every once in a while there’s something cool for a relatively low price (even though I never actually took the plunge and bought something), but it’s so luck of the draw and I don’t care to own anything from Bravestarr.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Animation Sensations is very fair and he often has stuff he hasn't listed from the same sequence. I buy stuff from him fairly often.

eBay really is the commonest place for people to list stuff however, other than that you're in the thick with dealers.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks. I’ll check him out.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Renoistic posted:

I saw the first episode of the new Turtles and it was just too hyper active for me. It kind of felt like someone stood too close to me while waving their hands in front of my face while screaming bad jokes and snapping their fingers. Nicely animated but I won't watch more of it.

I got a strong "XXX-TREEEME!!!" vibe, like it was just a few skateboards away from being easily mistaken for a product of the '90s. Also, Splinter looks like he just crawled out of Mr' Slave's butthole.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Good news folks!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/09/trolls-world-tour-mcelroy-brothers-casting

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loving love Trolls.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I saw Next Gen on Netflix. Visually I'd say its a perfect movie. Finally Toronto artists can be proud of creating something visually stunning after years of working on aborted films and stuff like The Nut Job. Its also totally bizarre and full of story issues. There were moments of drastic tonal shift where something really funny/outrageous or incredibly violent would happen and then it was back to Disney-esque baseline. They also didn't land the emotional beats as well as a movie like Big Hero 6. In a lot of ways the movie feels like Big Hero 6 with less time put into the story development and worldbuilding.

But for a film made by a young studio for a fraction of a Disney film is definitely looks equal to the big players, and it was made in the free software Blender.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I also watched Next Gen. The cast seemed fine but I agree on the story issues. It started off pretty strong and just tailed off with plot threads that didn't work. It's a perfectly serviceable movie and I've watched a lot worse. It needed more work on the script, though. The fact that it was made in Blender makes the visuals all the more impressive. I noticed some stiffness in some of the animation on things like limbs and faces, but that's kind of inherent to first-time projects of a group coming together. I'd be very interested in seeing their sophomore effort because this is a good start.

Apparently the main character and a lot of the gags had their roots in Chinese rage comics, which explains a lot.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I liked the talk show host whose head was like a giant onion emoji thing. That seemed like something out of Chinese pop culture.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

don't play with my heart like this

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Looper posted:

don't play with my heart like this

quote:

But sadly, despite their résumé, the brothers have not been deemed important enough to voice actual trolls. Instead, their parts are a little more . . . creative: according to the brothers, they will be playing characters called Techno Beat Drop Button, Country Music Tear (as in, a teardrop that does country music), and Hard Rock Tear.

They're in the movie but they're probably just a cameo or a short scene, which makes sense.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Ccs posted:

I liked the talk show host whose head was like a giant onion emoji thing. That seemed like something out of Chinese pop culture.

In the most poorly concealed easter egg ever, the talk show host's head was the production company's logo. Baozou.
Which apparently is the website the 7723 comic was from. Ah, it's also a parody of the parody talk show the comic's creator and owner of Baozou does as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baozou

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Macaluso posted:

They're in the movie but they're probably just a cameo or a short scene, which makes sense.

I am very excited for Griffin to put on his best Douchey DJ Voice

I am just assuming that Griffin is the DJ, Justin is Country Tear and Trav is Hard Rock Tear. I dunno why

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i saw Night Is Short, Walk On Girl just now. the male lead kinda sucks for a lot of the movie but otherwise it's grrreat. vivacious colors and animation, really funny, excellent side characters who elevate the whole thing

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I feel like I remember them pitching the dj idea in an offhand comment the very first time they came up with the 'we the will be in trolls 2' bit, before they spun it off into its own running gag casts. Don't quote me on that though, it's been ages.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pick posted:

I loving love Trolls.

Minions Meets Trolls

Taking your money soon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trolls meets Troll 2

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trolls is a good movie you guys!!!!!! <:saddowns:>

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't troll.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Troll vs Troll Hunter

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I went to see the Dreamworks exhibit in Montreal before it closed. It was dominated by How to Train Your Dragon and to a lesser extent Kung Fu Panda. Shrek also had a pretty sizeable bit of attention, and there were clay models of a lot of the characters from the hand-drawn movies that the animators must have used to help with reference. Trolls was only given one wall though, the same real estate given to flops like Rise of the Guardians and Bee movie. Monsters vs. Aliens and Peabody and Sherman were totally absent.

KFP and HTTYD are great but they've both either ended or are ending soon as the movies complete the trilogy arc. I really don't know if Dreamworks plans on continuing the series beyond those trilogies but if they don't they have to make some new hits to keep the brand valuable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Surprised Megamind never got a sequel.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's better off without one

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've never watched any Last Airbender stuff, but I enjoyed The Dragon Prince a lot. The fantasy setting with elves and dragons is totally my poo poo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

teagone posted:

I've never watched any Last Airbender stuff, but I enjoyed The Dragon Prince a lot. The fantasy setting with elves and dragons is totally my poo poo.

Watch this if you haven't already.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The animation's kind of janky, but it got some fun charm, and I'm not gonna lie, I actually like Don McLean's song, and it does have pretty hilarious bits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's been a while since I saw it but I remember it being fairly decent. It's actually loosely based off of two separate books, the titular one basically being a "what if" study on how a dragon's biology might work if they were real while the plot and most of the characters came from another book called The Dragon and the George.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is Dragon Prince pretty standard kids’ fare, or does it have heavier themes despite the Y7 rating, a’la Avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ccs posted:

Rise of the Guardians

This is under-rated, I think. The animation was really nice in a lot of places.