Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
does anyone even use those dpi settings? most pro gamers rock 400-800 dont they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

I always thought it was supposed to be that a high DPI paired with low sensitivity in-game was the best for precision.

You only manually lower your mouse's DPI when you can't set sensitivity low enough in game.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

underage at the vape shop posted:

in FPS yeah, in RTS-like games i know some use like 1600. but rarely anything higher than that in any game

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I use low DPI because I'm too lazy to switch modes every time I start a game or go back to desktop. :shrug:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Anyone have any experience with Intellimouse Optical clones?

I've been using a Microsoft intellimouse optical on and off at work for the past 10 years and I love it but it's sadly on its last legs. I have a Logitech and Steelseries mouse that I use at home for gaming but I still love using the intellimouse at work and I've been looking for replacements. From what I've seen there are a lot of Chinese clones and resellers claiming that they have original intelli-mice but I'm skeptical.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these clones? Are any of them worth buying?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
There is no drawback to having high DPS and lower sensitivity. It just gives you higher precision for the cost of nothing.
This doesn't change depending of what genre of game you're playing. Then again I'm not a pro gamer so maybe I'm missing something.

isndl posted:

I use low DPI because I'm too lazy to switch modes every time I start a game or go back to desktop. :shrug:

Lower the sensitivity in your OS to match. :monocle:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Wooper posted:

Lower the sensitivity in your OS to match. :monocle:

Last I remember there's some interpolation bullshit going on when you don't have the Windows cursor speed at default. The MarkC Mousefix needs to be customized to your configuration if you do that, at least.

DPI x sensitivity = pixels moved. Unless you're playing games where literal pixel perfect precision is important, it doesn't matter much how things are configured when the end result is about the same. My FPS roots are Quake engine based games so half my aiming is done via strafing/movement anyways, and honestly the G502 I'm using is too heavy for millimeter precise adjustments (or I need to also invest in a fancier mousepad).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

isndl posted:

DPI x sensitivity = pixels moved.
This isn’t true in any FPS, this doesn’t even have the right units as the truth. Mouse events turn you in degrees and perspective means the ratio between apparent length and degrees depends on distance and field of view.

I’m a big fan of using the dpi you like on the desktop and the sensitivity that works for that DPI and your aim style. I will say that 400dpi is “enough” precision for some of the best in the world and claims that more is better are at least suspect.

isndl
May 2, 2012

kaschei posted:

This isn’t true in any FPS, this doesn’t even have the right units as the truth. Mouse events turn you in degrees and perspective means the ratio between apparent length and degrees depends on distance and field of view.

I agree it's not exact, and it wasn't really meant to be because different games have different implementations. Regardless of which DPI setting you use though you're still adjusting for the same end result: you want to be targeting x thing after y physical movement.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Wooper posted:

There is no drawback to having high DPS and lower sensitivity. It just gives you higher precision for the cost of nothing.
This doesn't change depending of what genre of game you're playing. Then again I'm not a pro gamer so maybe I'm missing something.

im at 750dpi and im very often in the bottom 2-3% of the mouse sensitivity slider in fps games to get something usable.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
People like different things film at 11

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Currently using 6400 dpi, which is pretty much the middle of the G603's dpi range. Windows sensitivity is down pretty low at 3 (out of 11). Feels pretty good.

Today I learned Windows mice speed goes to 11.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

isndl posted:

Last I remember there's some interpolation bullshit going on when you don't have the Windows cursor speed at default. The MarkC Mousefix needs to be customized to your configuration if you do that, at least.

While having the mouse speed in windows set to the middle notch is a solid practice pretty much because of this, keep in mind most modern games talk to the mouse in such a way that they circumvent the windows mouse settings entirely.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mouse sensors haven't really gotten much better in a long time and any 4 digit dpi number is essentially done in software with significant loss of precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7JVjcPzL0

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

dis astranagant posted:

Mouse sensors haven't really gotten much better in a long time and any 4 digit dpi number is essentially done in software with significant loss of precision.

I always figured as much and almost always keep my mice at 800dpi regardless. Every-time I've cranked up the DPI of my mouse all the way to see how accurate it would be I've been disappointed. I have noticed a pretty big jump in accuracy from 200-400DPI and 400-800 however.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My MS Comfort Mouse 6000 is 1000dpi. God's DPI.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Keep in mind this video was from 2013 so advances in sensor tech might have happened since then. Logitech's own Hero sensor might be one of them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm exremely cynical so I expect the main improvements in the Hero sensor are the name that marketing gave it. It'd be nice to be wrong.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just found out (a bit late) that Logitech have discontinued the G-13 Gamepad, shame. :d2a:

Glad i have two... now i just have to find out how to get them running in linux.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

kaschei posted:

4This isn’t true in any FPS, this doesn’t even have the right units as the truth. Mouse events turn you in degrees and perspective means the ratio between apparent length and degrees depends on distance and field of view.

I’m a big fan of using the dpi you like on the desktop and the sensitivity that works for that DPI and your aim style. I will say that 400dpi is “enough” precision for some of the best in the world and claims that more is better are at least suspect.

400 DPI is objectively enough if you play at a low res and want a really huge real-world 360 distance. It's objectively not enough if you play games at higher resolutions and want low-end 360s (for example, on a 4k monitor, 110 real hFOV, a 16" 360 on a 400 dpi mouse will only let you aim at every other pixel)

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just use what works you nerds

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Audax posted:

Just use what works you nerds

No, we have to argue about everything.

Some competitive people in CS do / did run their games at an intentionally lower resolution or FoV since they already know the angles to be aiming at and it makes the head hitbox relatively bigger. But that involves playing CS so their choices are already suspect.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just found out (a bit late) that Logitech have discontinued the G-13 Gamepad, shame. :d2a:

Glad i have two... now i just have to find out how to get them running in linux.

Oof, I didn't realize this. I also have a spare, and I knew it had been around for a long time but it seemed like they were going to produce it forever, without updates (those mushy keyswitches are definitely a negative.) At least there are alternatives by other manufacturers when mine finally wear out. :smith:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Logitech gamepads are pretty cheap and flimsy-feeling. Unlike the go-to Xbox controllers for PC they will wear out after heavy use. But I'd be lying if I said the Logitech pads don't have good D-pads. They are clicky, responsive, and require hardly any pressure to use. That sort of thing is really important with 2D stuff (retro or otherwise) if you prefer pad to arcade stick.

I currently use a XB1 pad. It's very nice and sturdy, and while I don't like the d-pad as much as the Logitechs I've used, but it's a vast improvement over that abomination they put in the X360 one.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Walmart sells PowerA brand, Nintendo licensed wired Switch controllers for $20-25. Best cheap PC controller option atm. Steam has native support for Switch Pro controllers.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Just Another Lurker posted:

The optimist in me hopes this means a new mechanical switched replacement. The realist knows the market for that type of product is probably prohibitively small.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Stormangel posted:

The optimist in me hopes this means a new mechanical switched replacement. The realist knows the market for that type of product is probably prohibitively small.

I've wanted something like this for ages. Razer made one but... Razer. And it was like $140

I even considered using half an Ergodox for gaming, since I really want to build an ErgoDox anyway.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ofecks posted:

Logitech gamepads are pretty cheap and flimsy-feeling. Unlike the go-to Xbox controllers for PC they will wear out after heavy use. But I'd be lying if I said the Logitech pads don't have good D-pads. They are clicky, responsive, and require hardly any pressure to use. That sort of thing is really important with 2D stuff (retro or otherwise) if you prefer pad to arcade stick.

I currently use a XB1 pad. It's very nice and sturdy, and while I don't like the d-pad as much as the Logitechs I've used, but it's a vast improvement over that abomination they put in the X360 one.

No offense but maybe Google the device we're talking about? It's actually marketed as a "gameboard" but everyone referred to it as a gamepad. It was originally fairly expensive and heavy-duty, actually, with a metal plate in the base for stability. A completely different product from what you're thinking of. It's not even really relevant to this thread, but it's this one-off Logitech product that doesn't really belong anywhere else.

Stormangel posted:

Horizontal Tree posted:

I've wanted something like this for ages. Razer made one but... Razer. And it was like $140

I even considered using half an Ergodox for gaming, since I really want to build an ErgoDox anyway.

Razer Orbweaver Chroma, RGB backlit, mechanical, and often available <$100 if you're OK with used/refurb'd/Warehouse Deal'd. It's still expensive, but the closest thing to a modernized G13 and likely of higher quality than the random, Chinese off-brand alternatives.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
My logitech g5 is old as poo poo and I hate its size and weight. I'm interested in getting a logitech g pro/g305/g pro hero but rocketjumpninja doesn't have a review for the g pro hero so I'm not really sure if it's worth $20 over the g pro for the g305 (probably) or $30 for the g pro hero (probably not?). In short do I care about the hero sensor on a wired mouse?

Otherwise I'd take reccomendations for small/light gaming mice, finalmouse ultralights are out of stock, and the zowie fc2 seems cool but it's way more expensive than a wired g pro.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Humerus posted:

Obviously ymmv but I was at Target yesterday and they had G603s on clearance for $48 and G903s for $104. I very nearly bought the 603 but I decided to hold out for a wireless 502 style mouse, because I feel like it will happen eventually.

Thanks for the heads up. I stopped at Target at lunch today and found the G603 for $34.95 and picked one up for work. I had been catching myself trying to press the sides of my mouse to go back and forth on web pages. Turns out that doesn't work if you don't have side buttons, but now I do!

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
A few weeks ago my G502 mouse started doing this thing where the button that makes the multidirectional scroll icon come up no longer does that, but it will come up with random times and after that I can't click out of my current window unless I hit ctrl alt del and click on "Cancel"

Does anyone have any idea wtf that could be

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Okay I did some testing and more specifically the G5 button just doesn't work at all and occasionally freaks out so I have to unassign it to prevent problems. Is this a normal thing to happen to these mice

isndl
May 2, 2012
Sounds like you have a hardware defect, contact Logitech support.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Sounds like an excuse to buy a new mouse

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Question Friend posted:

A few weeks ago my G502 mouse started doing this thing where the button that makes the multidirectional scroll icon come up no longer does that, but it will come up with random times and after that I can't click out of my current window unless I hit ctrl alt del and click on "Cancel"

Does anyone have any idea wtf that could be

Question Friend posted:

Okay I did some testing and more specifically the G5 button just doesn't work at all and occasionally freaks out so I have to unassign it to prevent problems. Is this a normal thing to happen to these mice

That sounds like "universal scroll" or whatever the function is called; by default I think it's mapped to the middle button (mouse 3?) Obviously if you don't need it just leave it unassigned, but any other weird mouse behavior you're describing is more difficult for me to visualize. If one of the buttons is indeed failing though, definitely get Logitech to give you a warranty replacement, they're very good about that.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
My current lovely chinese mouse is dying, so I made the trek over to Best Buy (lol) to try out a G502, thinking that would be a shoe-in, only to discover that it is too narrow and hurt my hand just resting on it. The G403/603 look like they might be a better shape for me, but they didn't have any on display. Are those a bit wider?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The G603's dimensions:

Height: 124mm (4.88")
Width: 68mm (2.68")
Depth: 43mm (1.69")

It's a big mouse. Especially depth-wise. I've discovered that an inch-and-a-half-tall and nearly 5-inch-long mouse isn't ideal for my hands. YMMV of course.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Ok, good. Thanks for confirming. I just wanted to double check because the specs for the G502 would lead you to believe it is actually wider than the G603:

Height: 5.2 in (132 mm)
Width: 2.95 in (75 mm)
Depth: 1.57 in (40 mm)

I'm guessing they're counting the little wing thing that your thumb sits on top of, which makes the measurement completely worthless for comparing.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah the G502 has a very weird, pointy & scalloped shape, so it's hard to make size comparisons. The 403/703 are definitely more "traditional" and I think either will work better than the 502 simply due to not requiring any weird hand contortions. For reference though, I have many mice including the 502, 703, and 903, and I can adapt to them all despite them being completely different sizes & shapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I ordered a G603 so we'll see how that goes. I think a more 'traditional' shape is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice, guys.