Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sell enough to cover your original purchase and let the rest ride to the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Uranium 235 posted:

you don't go broke by taking profit

This is actually a really bad saying. Not letting your winners run is ,in fact, exactly how you go broke in trading

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Sold some "real" stocks recently and put them into a nice safe ETF I was thinking about a while back... And woke up today to a 100% loss in it. It's suspended while becoming locally-domiciled, but the app wasn't very clear, and the market is down in general today so for a moment I genuinely thought it was crashing. On the other hand I sold one stock a day from the peak and it's down about 25% since, so :smugbert:

Meanwhile more funds took the cheap and slow way into your currency, but I haven't decided a fate for them yet. Amazon, Apple, AMD... Must be time for a stock starting with B. Boeing? BABA? Besla?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 16, 2019

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

uvar posted:

Sold some "real" stocks recently and put them into a nice safe ETF I was thinking about a while back... And woke up today to a 100% loss in it. It's suspended while becoming locally-domiciled, but the app wasn't very clear, and the market is down in general today so for a moment I genuinely thought it was crashing. On the other hand I sold one stock a day from the peak and it's down about 25% since, so :smugbert:

Meanwhile more funds took the cheap and slow way into your currency, but I haven't decided a fate for them yet. Amazon, Apple, AMD... Must be time for a stock starting with B. Boeing? BABA? Besla?

Berkshire?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

greasyhands posted:

This is actually a really bad saying. Not letting your winners run is ,in fact, exactly how you go broke in trading
i didn't say to sell 100% of the position

i think taking some profit after a 200% gain is compatible with "let your winners run"

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

mj stocks pre-market... :eyepop::420:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Do all these pot stocks assume the margins will stay high forever? Haven't we already seen pricing pressure in markets that are only a few years old? I don't get it all farm commodities drive down to low margin.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Elephanthead posted:

Do all these pot stocks assume the margins will stay high forever? Haven't we already seen pricing pressure in markets that are only a few years old? I don't get it all farm commodities drive down to low margin.

Tobacco was just a farm commodity too? Starbucks seems to have made a pretty good business from another commodity crop as well.

The farming is the least interesting aspect of this. It's all about packaging, distribution, marketing, and branding.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Elephanthead posted:

Margins in Oregon are very low. Farmers are overproducing and the only ones making boatloads of money is the government.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

idk but for some reason CIBC is loading up on Canopy Growth

over $50 mil net today so far

(they've been doing this the whole run but i think this is the heaviest day)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This seems normal :cool:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

This seems normal :cool:

lol

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
the time frame on weedstocks is very important imo, ive been holding since august to december last year - through the dec-jan run and then the dip after and then back up again to this one. Everywhere I've seen is predicting a shortage until the end of 2019 and then surplus after that. the smaller ones or ones without low margins probably wont survive. probably better off getting out around then and keeping some in a couple of big ones for long term USA/EU stuff

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 5, 2018

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Calls were a bloodbath, I was hoping the bounce back would've happened by now. There goes the option account for the rest of the year. My only solace is seeing JD and IQ going down 5-10% everyday.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I’m doubling down on my $TSLA short today in anticipation of Elon Musk’s double down interview on Joe Rogan’s Show which will be a gigantic effing train wreck.

Lote fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 5, 2018

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m holding onto my October puts for now I guess. They’re way up so I should probably sell

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

dougdrums posted:

Every AMD trade I've made is looking really petty today.

Feels good to be a bagholder for once.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lote posted:

I’m doubling down on my $TSLA short today in anticipation of Elon Musk’s double down interview on Joe Rogan’s Show which will be a gigantic effing train wreck.

Elon Musk smokes weed with Joe Rogan and says he is a flat earther, TSLA stock plummets.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Trump is also super mad right now and will probably sabotage the Canada NAFTA talks in the near future or surprise announce more China tariffs considering that’s just about the only thing he can do unilaterally.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Elephanthead posted:

i dont own any canopy but i thought today when people start selling off their canopy ill take it as the canary in a crow mine kind of thing

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
BERK is SUPER cash rich, a great buy to keep some powder dry into what looks to be a bumpy 8-10 weeks until the November midterms.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
FIRE/SPRWF is the only one I have rn. I think branding and exclusive products are gonna be the differentiator as far as :420: goes, since it's just so relatively easy to produce vs other intoxicants. I don't think any ad place has really figured out how to market to the mainstream without everything having a sort of grungy stoner vibe still, or just being insincere.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

imo successful mainstreaming weed marketing will look something like this

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

single-mode fiber fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 6, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Edit: Disregard!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 15, 2018

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

PBF comics are so good, and that was one of my favorites.

I see that weed is down big today. Which means we're getting a 10% pop tomorrow.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

LLCoolJD posted:

PBF comics are so good, and that was one of my favorites.

I see that weed is down big today. Which means we're getting a 10% pop tomorrow.

Which one?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Oscar Wild posted:

Which one?

CGC and CRON. Crazy stocks. Of course, they could crash 20% so don't take any advice from me.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

LLCoolJD posted:

CGC and CRON. Crazy stocks. Of course, they could crash 20% so don't take any advice from me.

Thanks, I understand these are speculative and that it would help to read the financial statements.

*puts all money on green*

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
I hadn't done anything (too) stupid for a while so I bought a few JD calls yesterday (Mar 2019 30C), on a total gut that the price drop reaction to the allegations against the CEO will have minimal enough impact on the company itself to recover to the break-even price by March.

Wish me luck!

Zerstorung fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 28, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
MU :negative:

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I bought the MU sell off, I’m sure buying into a sell off will be a great idea.

it wasn’t

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

I want that, so you’re right OP

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

freezepops posted:

I bought the MU sell off, I’m sure buying into a sell off will be a great idea.

it wasn’t

This is me with slv over the last couple weeks. Gld may finally be bottoming, had a higher low on Monday.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

Margins in Oregon are very low. Farmers are overproducing and the only ones making boatloads of money is the government.

Margins in farming/agriculture are low compared to other industries because there is a real input cost associated to it. The thing is it is useless to do any fundamental analysis on the value of these weed equities because it is pure speculation right now.

2019 estimate of total weed sales in Canada is 3bn. California did only 1bn last year and it is considered the capital of marijuana. Also California has the same population size as Canada, actually it is higher(no pun). That's just one factor but there are many more.

It is a mania right now, everyone and anyone is investing in it. It is like the crypto boom of earlier this year, I know so many friends and families who have 0 experience investing who are buying weed stocks just like they did with crypto. I mean there is money to be made but just don't be that guy who puts all his life savings into a stock hoping to become a weed millionaire or crypto millionaire.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

paternity suitor posted:

I want that, so you’re right OP

I would probably buy the one that is a white can with black letters that just says weed if it were legal for me to do so which it is not because my state just allowed beer sales on Sunday 4 months ago.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Finding Zillow (Z) puts in your portfolio are a great way to excuse day drinking.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Weed stocks are basically in a crazy bitcoin euphoria, buyer beware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Risky Bisquick posted:

Weed stocks are basically in a crazy bitcoin euphoria, buyer beware

"The trend is your friend"

Something a friend told me about momentum.