Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Been a while since I watched this but why did the engineer s leave maps to themselves on Earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Do you think would a squad of marines (ala Aliens) totally own the Engineer homeworld too?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

UmOk posted:

Been a while since I watched this but why did the engineer s leave maps to themselves on Earth?

They didn't.
It's inbuilt into the dna of all of us for whatever reason, and the humans from the different times drew them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

happyhippy posted:

They didn't.
It's inbuilt into the dna of all of us for whatever reason, and the humans from the different times drew them.

It's the same branding as how in both Blade Runner movies every cell of a replicated being has a serial number on it you can view under a microscope.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

UmOk posted:

I took it as a test. Seed some planets with life, leave a map, and when they are sufficiently advanced, they will come to you to be evaluated. Easier than trying to monitor every planet out there forever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's implied(and explicitly stated by Scott in interviews, if you're into that kinda thing) that a rogue Engineer took a liking to humans, and he's the one who gave us the map. But the map was a warning, like "never go here, death lives here" and humans simply lost it's true meaning over time. Kinda like how we debate today over how to most effectively mark nuclear waste so that future humans don't get curious and seek out our dump sites thinking it's lost treasure or something.

The idea is that the Engineers found out about this and didn't like it enough that they decided to return to Earth and exterminate us. As they were preparing to leave for Earth the outbreak occurred.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

I think a film focusing on xenomorphs on earth would be fun. Sort of an Area 51/Half Life approach where they have several specimens in a secure remote underground facility and need to stop them from breaking out and getting to the surface once all hell inevitably breaks loose. Get away from the complicated lore and convoluted backstory and back to the desperation, suspense and panic that made the first 2 films so great and where the stakes are "holy poo poo. We can't let these things get out".

A sequel could follow where of course they got out and are now colonizing and breeding in the mountains or some poo poo. I don't find the origin of the species all that interesting really and would like to see them get back to a basic monster movie.

It’s not set on earth, but the recent book ‘Alien: The Cold Forge’ is literally this and it’s loving great. The general consensus in the AvP community is that it’s the best Alien book written to date.
The protagonist is a Weyland Yutani auditor sent to check on a secret facility, and oh boy is he a hilariously awful corporate piece of poo poo. He makes Carter Burke seem like Mr Rogers and it’s amazing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

happyhippy posted:

Do you think would a squad of marines (ala Aliens) totally own the Engineer homeworld too?

Lol they would do exactly as well as they did in Aliens. They're walking allegory for military hubris.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

It’s not set on earth, but the recent book ‘Alien: The Cold Forge’ is literally this and it’s loving great. The general consensus in the AvP community is that it’s the best Alien book written to date.
The protagonist is a Weyland Yutani auditor sent to check on a secret facility, and oh boy is he a hilariously awful corporate piece of poo poo. He makes Carter Burke seem like Mr Rogers and it’s amazing.

Oh I’m kind sold.

The last book I read was that weird in betweenqual set between alien and aliens about Ripley going to some place, getting attacked by aliens and then getting bonked on the head to keep continuity.

It was lame.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SirDrone posted:

So why did Fifield turn into Sasquatch? Was there no better designs other then zombie bigfoot man because that whole scene is still randomly out there.

Because whomever thought that scene up was unimaginative as gently caress.

Just got the Alien: Covenant David's Drawings book this week and it's pretty dope, a lot of really good art in there but not as much as I thought there would be.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Since the newer movies do comics and stuff try to bring in engineers since they’re ~cannon~?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s a big cross over that’s Alien Vs Predator Vs Prometheus. They all have their own issues as well as crossover ones. I glanced at it a few times in the store, didn’t really feel it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Crimpolioni posted:

I've run into the idea (only on science fiction forums, for reason) that by doing death of the author type interpretations one is trying to 'steal' control of the work away from the author and its not only an arrogant but fundamentally immoral act. Takes all kinds, I guess.

Low Desert Punk posted:

nerds are loving insane, what else is new
What's actually new is the borderline-religious reverence for a corporation's intellectual property.

Invalid Validation posted:

I bet Star Trek writers did the same thing each episode.
What happens if the black goo touches the deflector dish?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I like this Fifield design a lot more. It's got a zany 50s sci-fi vibe going for it, and it's way more interesting than the final version.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ersatz posted:

I like this Fifield design a lot more. It's got a zany 50s sci-fi vibe going for it, and it's way more interesting than the final version.
Scott went with the other one because this one "lost the actor," which I can kinda see. It just looks like a CG monster.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I like that he turns into a lumpy wolfman.
It echoes the earlier scene of him howling while releasing his "pups"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

wyoming posted:

I like that he turns into a lumpy wolfman.
It echoes the earlier scene of him howling while releasing his "pups"

Plus when they're all eating before leaving the ship instead of eating like a human he literally drinks directly from a huge bowl.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
He says he’s not here to make friends, and the black goo makes him unfriendly. That, see, that’s irony.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

happyhippy posted:

I don’t think the marine ship would get the near the planet’s orbit. It would be blasted out of space by whatever advanced defenses the engineers have.

Though I really think the engineers died out and I wouldn’t be surprised if their homeworld is a ruin filled with xenos.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

General Battuta posted:

He says he’s not here to make friends, and the black goo makes him unfriendly. That, see, that’s irony.

Every single character in the movie got exactly what they passionately asked for.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm watching AvP Requiem, and I could have sworn I saw this movie in the theater. But, I'm pretty sure I'd remember a kid getting chestbursted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It happens in the first 15 minutes. In the first five the kid and his dad get face hugged.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I still think I'd remember that. It's not often kids get killed in horror movies.

Why am I spoilering this? Does anyone really give a poo poo?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hev58y1AYBw

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

When does the terrible darkness set it? It's night in the movie right now, but it's not awful dark. Could it make a difference having bought it in Vudu?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Leavemywife posted:

When does the terrible darkness set it? It's night in the movie right now, but it's not awful dark. Could it make a difference having bought it in Vudu?

Has the Predator gone in the sewers yet? I remember that being pretty dark in the home release.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Jesus Christ, who the gently caress decided on this lighting?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Poetry in two posts

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I maintain that AvP:R would be a lot better if it had a Giallo soundtrack.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
AVP and AVP2 are masterpieces.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

AVP and AVP2 are masterpieces.

they're certainly pieces (of poo poo)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

Every single character in the movie got exactly what they passionately asked for.
Fifield never got to gently caress those rocks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Fifield never got to gently caress those rocks.

A whole day passes where he's off camera. EU novel idea....

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

A whole day passes where he's off camera. EU novel idea....

I had an idea for a short story if they do another ‘Aliens’ short story anthology - it focuses on a scientist on Thedus Station, and he just has... the shittiest day possible. No hot water in his apartment, work overload from his boss, malfunctions in the lab, everything. At the end of the day, his ship assignment even gets switched up, totally derailing the rest of his year because of the planned transit time. What else could go wrong?

Turns out the scientist is the science officer that Ash replaced on the Nostromo, and he just dodged the biggest bullet of all time.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I had an idea for a short story if they do another ‘Aliens’ short story anthology - it focuses on a scientist on Thedus Station, and he just has... the shittiest day possible. No hot water in his apartment, work overload from his boss, malfunctions in the lab, everything. At the end of the day, his ship assignment even gets switched up, totally derailing the rest of his year because of the planned transit time. What else could go wrong?

Turns out the scientist is the science officer that Ash replaced on the Nostromo, and he just dodged the biggest bullet of all time.
I like it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dumb question, has there ever been more backstory on Apone?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dumb question, has there ever been more backstory on Apone?

I don’t think any of the Sulaco marines have too much backstory, off the top of my head. I know Vasquez and Drake enlisted in lieu of prison sentences.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t think any of the Sulaco marines have too much backstory, off the top of my head. I know Vasquez and Drake enlisted in lieu of prison sentences.

I want to say in the pre-Alien 3 version of Earth Hive the Vasquez equivalent talks a little more about their past too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I want to say in the pre-Alien 3 version of Earth Hive the Vasquez equivalent talks a little more about their past too.

Like, in the flashback/nightmare bits? I’ve got a copy of Earth Hive on my shelf, I can take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Didnt the Colonial Marine crew get a few short stories in that book of Aliens short stories that came out where they were going on bughunts against other stuff? I remember Apone was at least in one, I think.