Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tippis posted:

I think you might secretly be a horrible person. Why would you do this to poor innocent thread-reading people?

It's such a good movie, though :) it's like an entire movie made by a predictive text algorithm whose only guidance was the phrase "Pre-9/11 UPN"

I know we like to have a lot of fun in this thread, lots of jokes between friends, but tonight y'all should hit the bong like it owes you money and then settle in for a good time with your new pal Max :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCNSF7lsoSY

In Breaking Bad Jesse plays RAGE with a lightgun and it's kinda sorta appropriate even if it's presented in the, uh, wrong medium. I would say it was pretty relevant to how the character was feeling and what he was dealing with at this point in the show, hence the lightgun flashing to a real one. Would've been nice for them to pick a real lightgun game though.

edit: Someone in the comments points out that some of the random graffiti on the wall (0:35-ish) is custom made and reads the name of the character he killed backwards.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 5, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I don't know. These types of paid advertisement segments always take me out of shows.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

CJacobs posted:

In Breaking Bad Jesse plays RAGE with a lightgun and it's kinda sorta appropriate even if it's presented in the, uh, wrong medium. I would say it was pretty relevant to how the character was feeling and what he was dealing with at this point in the show, hence the lightgun flashing to a real one. Would've been nice for them to pick a real lightgun game though.

edit: Someone in the comments points out that some of the random graffiti on the wall (0:35-ish) is custom made and reads the name of the character he killed backwards.

Wasn't there an iPad version that was an on rails shooter? I just assumed he was somehow playing that on his TV.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Shoehead posted:

There's also an episode of Spaced were Simon's character doesn't sleep for a few days (because he took bad speed) and spends the whole time playing Resident Evil 2 and eventually has a freak out. Which is part of how Shaun of the Dead came about actually. It's weird to watch now considering it was nearly 20 years ago and he's playing on the old analog stickless psx controller.

Pretty sure it's an analog controller - look at the size of the L2/R2 buttons. I always liked how he held it like the shotgun he was hallucinating

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Convex posted:

Wasn't there an iPad version that was an on rails shooter? I just assumed he was somehow playing that on his TV.

Just wanted to confirm that yes there was a Rage game on the app store. I don't think it's available anymore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ToxicFrog posted:

It's probably in the archives by now.

Whenever this comes up, the scene that immediately springs to mind is the bit in Charlie's Angels that depicts two kids having a very intense two-player head-to-head match of...Final Fantasy 8.

That reminds me of an episode of Neighbours where..Toadfish I think, holds up two Duke controllers and says "I'll verse ya in Final Fantasy".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Final Fantasy being the last visions you have before your death by bludgeoning with two Duke controllers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The only correct portrayal of video game controls in media is the use of power gloves in the wizard

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

iZombie had quite a few scenes with characters just chilling and playing real games. There's even a fun bit with Just Dance.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Wamdoodle posted:

Just wanted to confirm that yes there was a Rage game on the app store. I don't think it's available anymore.
Man this made me remember that Doom Resurrection was a thing that existed

Looks like all the id stuff is still on the Apple App Store, but they haven’t updated any of it to work with the latest iOS :effort:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shadow Hog posted:

IIRC the Steam version is an updated one, "Rune Classic", that reworks some levels, cuts others, and tosses in some of the new monsters from the PS2 port that weren't in the original. The GOG version is also that, but its price of admission also includes Rune Gold, which is the original PC game and its multiplayer-only expansion pack, Halls of Valhalla, as it originally was, no cuts or edits (just the official v1.07 patch). The Steam version doesn't appear to offer that, looking into it; it's Classic or bust there.

Also, uh, hey, I know I'm shittalking Human Head Studios (or at least their naming conventions), but it looks like Rune Ragnarok hits Early Access this month, so that's cool?

Thanks! This game loving kicks rear end, I’m amazed I’d never heard of it before a couple weeks ago.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

site posted:

The only correct portrayal of video game controls in media is the use of power gloves in the wizard

Uh, excuse me, it's The Wizard. Show some respect.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wamdoodle posted:

It's still there. I remember this game well because I was playing it on the subway when some rear end in a top hat tried to grab my phone.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its not a shooter but The Floor Is Lava is basically the Mirror's edge sequel we always wanted.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

I remember this game well because I was playing it on the subway when some rear end in a top hat tried to grab my phone.

That would have sent me into a...Rage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Or maybe he wasn't playing a light gun game at all but he was just high out of his mind

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Red Faction 1 and 2 are 75% off on GOG

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1037697409911074817

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yea to RF 1, nay to RF 2 (it does have Lance Hendriksen and Jason Statham voicing NPCs).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 6, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
No, both are good. Play both.

This isn't FPS game but I finally found the name to a bunch of old games I've played. Found these among a bunch of others,

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you're gonna play Red Faction 1, be sure to check out the Pure Faction mod, which improves compatibility with modern systems and adds better support for widescreen resolutions.

Oh yeah, you'll also want to use the console to lower the FPS to prevent an annoying bug in a certain mission:

PC Gaming Wiki posted:

Sub explodes when it hits water

A bug that occurs at high frame rates, which causes the submarine to explode upon contact with the sub bay water.

Install Pure Faction.
During the Sub Bay section of the campaign, open the console with ~.
Type r_maxfps 30 into the console window and press Enter.
Press the button to drop the submarine into the water.
Once fully submerged, bring up the console once more.
Type r_maxfps 150 into the console window and press Enter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think Red Faction 2 is not good. It feels like a game designed for consoles first. The levels are short and all over the place thematically. The gunplay feels off. And the story is not really important, but yeah, not that great either.

Red Faction 1 on the other hand feels like it has a theme going on (even though the original Total Recall was an obvious inspiration). It’s a good Half-Life/PS2 era shooter.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Has anything done real geomod blow-up-the-level stuff like RF 1 did? Not just buildings but the actual ground geometry?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's quite a different genre, but the Magic Carpet games let you completely deform the landscape. It uses a heightmap + textures so it can be deformed in real time easily enough.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Has anything done real geomod blow-up-the-level stuff like RF 1 did? Not just buildings but the actual ground geometry?
Magic Carpet and I guess Minecraft are the only things that come to mind. If you’re going for a serious tone with realistic visuals it quickly becomes an intractable problem. You would have to model everything with a giant physics system.

Edit: :argh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No Man's Sky has fairly powerful terrain sculpting features by now.

vvvv They said "anything", not "anything good"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

haveblue posted:

No Man's Sky has fairly powerful terrain sculpting features by now.

Too bad about the rest of it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

There was some FPS that was all about manipulating terrain in what I believe was a team deathmatch.

I want to say it was late xbox or 360 era, and I think it did get released, but I heard of it all of one time and never again. Maybe it got cancelled.

Like you could shoot the ground to create craters or make it grow into hills.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
One of the things I've always liked about the Frostbite battlefield games, is that explosions make craters in the ground that actually affect the terrain.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

There was some FPS that was all about manipulating terrain in what I believe was a team deathmatch.

I want to say it was late xbox or 360 era, and I think it did get released, but I heard of it all of one time and never again. Maybe it got cancelled.

Like you could shoot the ground to create craters or make it grow into hills.

Fracture - one of the last games that Lucasarts published before it just became a licensing team.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ularg posted:

No, both are good. Play both.

This isn't FPS game but I finally found the name to a bunch of old games I've played. Found these among a bunch of others,

I've played Alien Legacy and it was a really cool concept, but also a really awkward UI and, as it later turned out, really buggy event triggers. I think I accidentally skipped an entire chapter of plot, because suddenly my bridge officers were talking matter-of-factly about aliens I'd never heard of and about a construction megaproject we had apparently started a while ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

Fracture - one of the last games that Lucasarts published before it just became a licensing team.

Thankyou! Yes that is definitely it. Didn't seems to get much attention at release, but looks cool.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ToxicFrog posted:

I've played Alien Legacy and it was a really cool concept, but also a really awkward UI and, as it later turned out, really buggy event triggers. I think I accidentally skipped an entire chapter of plot, because suddenly my bridge officers were talking matter-of-factly about aliens I'd never heard of and about a construction megaproject we had apparently started a while ago.

I need to find out an easy way to play a lot of these without having to have an entirely separate computer with appropriate hardware. Cause I kind of always wanted to go through and record gameplay from a lot of these old games. And wanted to go through my collection of PC Gamer demo discs.

I also refound the name of a demo I played to death, Conquest Frontier Wars. And found out it's $6 on GOG so I think imma go buy that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Too bad about the rest of it.

NMS is good.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
NMS has always been good :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ularg posted:

NMS has always been good :colbert:

Chaosapiant "likes" this post.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ularg posted:

I need to find out an easy way to play a lot of these without having to have an entirely separate computer with appropriate hardware. Cause I kind of always wanted to go through and record gameplay from a lot of these old games. And wanted to go through my collection of PC Gamer demo discs.

I also refound the name of a demo I played to death, Conquest Frontier Wars. And found out it's $6 on GOG so I think imma go buy that.

Alien Legacy is a DOS game, so you can just fire it up in dosbox and record from there. The stuff that's super awkward tends to be win95/98 games (like Deadly Tide), since those often don't work reliably in dosbox, don't work reliably (or, often, at all) on modern windows versions, and run rear end-slow in VMs. Historically I've had the most luck running those in Wine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Shattered Steel did in 96. With enough patience you could tunnel through the ground with most weapons and the big explosives make gigantic craters

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Astroneer. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

When I got bored with 7 Days to Die I just cheated up some explosives and ran around demolishing the ugly buildings and blowing holes in the ground. Things fall apart pretty weird, since they "take damage" and then die or fly off or whatever, then the bits that they are supporting fall, layer by layer, as the simulation figures out that they are hanging in the air. It's like everything in 7 Days is running on Wile E. Coyote logic.