Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

Poison is almost 100% a Dark Eldar and Imperial assassins thing.

I also know that a bunch of Drews Carey were trying to capture tyranids for their little circuses.

That could work, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nuntius posted:

Did you take In to account special rules like Skitarii Vanguard giving enemies -1 T in close combat. I think that would put their value up a lot.

Don’t know about other special rules. I guess it would be very hard to model things like <forge world> and canticles as they add too many variables.

Special rules like that are a complete bitch to incorporate since it's unique to only one unit. I might still do it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Special rules like that are a complete bitch to incorporate since it's unique to only one unit. I might still do it.

I mean if you’re going to mathhammer to get a semi-accurate assessment those special rules are necessary. It’s on par with Rending attacks etc.

Putting it all in formula might get to be a management nightmare at some point though, seems like something that might be fun to implement in some plang so special rules can be more explicit.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

jadebullet posted:

Managed to get a fun game in with my Death Guard Killteam versus my friends Orks. Game play wise, the match was pretty unremarkable, with my dice rolling pretty poorly and my poor Death Guard getting stomped.

Except for a single Pox walker who refused to die or break, and just kept killing. I think he took down 3 guys before finally succumbing.

I played Orks with GSC last night and it was utterly unfun. Orks don't care about the BS modifiers after the first so all the tough positioning, range, and movement decisions don't apply to them. 7 points gets you a boy with a big shoota who can do pretty much whatever he wants putting out 3 S5 shots, and he can still kick the poo poo out of you in assault. In a game where S/T 4+ feels king, and a GEQ army like GSC can be easily outnumbered by that, it feels broken.

Of course I'm Bad At Games and I'll keep playing it, but I don't really have an answer to it right now. At least not with that army.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I also know that a bunch of Drews Carey were trying to capture tyranids for their little circuses.

That could work, thanks!
Ohhh another new army concept! How thrilling.

Let us know when you've finished your first squad, failing that when you've bought and assembled your first model, failing THAT when you've picked an army.

FlamingFigs
Oct 22, 2015

These posts be hella gay

Schadenboner posted:

Are poisons more of a Nurgle thing or a Slaaneshi thing? Follow-up: what about botulism?

Nurgal has some poison but they are mostly the following.

Being tough as hell
Haveing lots of mortal wound generation
Making extra wounds spill to other units

genola
Apr 7, 2011
To me, anything organic (bacterial, viral, fungal, etc.) is Nurgle. Botulism is bacterial therefore Nurgle.
I like thinking of Nurgle as a twisted form of immortality, only you’re a slave to the will of whatever Nurgly microorganisms you’re host to and have no will of your own.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LightReaper posted:

Ohhh another new army concept! How thrilling.

Let us know when you've finished your first squad, failing that when you've bought and assembled your first model, failing THAT when you've picked an army.

Why so unhappy, tovarish?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

gently caress off retard

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Ayn Marx posted:

gently caress off retard

nice ableism

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I like nice models, I think they are cool and good.

Any rumors on more Ork stuff coming out? Or are the three new vehicles likely the only new models?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

He's French, he was just telling him to gently caress off slowly

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Schadenboner posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I like nice models, I think they are cool and good.

Any rumors on more Ork stuff coming out? Or are the three new vehicles likely the only new models?

Supposedly new boyz. And there are persistent rumors of a prim-ork sized Ghazghkull.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Probably going to have to get the Rogue Trader set now. Adding another tiny allied faction that eats up my detachments is something I'm unable to resist, and giving them the Inquisition's transport rule and a dog has sealed the deal.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

I mean if you’re going to mathhammer to get a semi-accurate assessment those special rules are necessary. It’s on par with Rending attacks etc.

Putting it all in formula might get to be a management nightmare at some point though, seems like something that might be fun to implement in some plang so special rules can be more explicit.

Rending attacks are relatively easy to incorporate. The AP is (5/6)*-1 + (1/6) * -3. Since I'm averaging everything and the bonus is to the unit I can easily accommodate it. I also incorporated modifiers to hit since those are also pretty crucial.

Because the Vanguard rule influences toughness it requires me to do a bit more. I'm not saying I won't do it, just that it's a pain for a single special rule for a single unit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Kataphron profile was selected to include the second weapon. Thanks for the feedback though, I do appreciate it.

I didn't realize SW were different and will add that.

Space Wolves (Grey Hunters and Blood Claws, anyway) can all take Chainswords and, since they're free and give you an extra melee attack, they'll always be taken.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jng2058 posted:

Space Wolves (Grey Hunters and Blood Claws, anyway) can all take Chainswords and, since they're free and give you an extra melee attack, they'll always be taken.

Makes sense. I can add that.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rending attacks are relatively easy to incorporate. The AP is (5/6)*-1 + (1/6) * -3. Since I'm averaging everything and the bonus is to the unit I can easily accommodate it. I also incorporated modifiers to hit since those are also pretty crucial.

Because the Vanguard rule influences toughness it requires me to do a bit more. I'm not saying I won't do it, just that it's a pain for a single special rule for a single unit.

Rending attacks (on Genestealers at least) are -4.

There's also Acid Maw, which is free for every four models if you want to factor that in, which is S:U AP:-3 D:1, so a quarter of the time you'll have AP two better than default value.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maneck posted:

Supposedly new boyz. And there are persistent rumors of a prim-ork sized Ghazghkull.

I wouldn't mind a box set of three Dethkoptas (assuming they're any good, and all).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Preview of the two mini-dexes in RT

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just got a Castellan and Helverins for my birthday :woop: although looking at my BA, I've now realized that I'm accidentally building the soup army that everyone hates. Doesn't really matter though, by the time I get them painted and on the table they'll probably be nerfed to hell anyway.

In any case, I need some help picking the right house for my big stompy boys. I am leaning Hawkshroud because the fluff meshes well with the BA and I intend to let the Castellan camp at the back of the table so the extra survivability is nice. On the other hand, everything I read says Raven is the best choice because of Cawl's Wrath and the bonus to advancing. The thing is, I'm not sure how useful those things are for this army as I'm mostly looking for a good gunline component to help balance out the melee of the rest of the army.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Just got a Castellan and Helverins for my birthday :woop: although looking at my BA, I've now realized that I'm accidentally building the soup army that everyone hates. Doesn't really matter though, by the time I get them painted and on the table they'll probably be nerfed to hell anyway.

In any case, I need some help picking the right house for my bug stompy boys. I am leaning Hawkshroud because the fluff meshes well with the BA and I intend to let the Castellan camp at the back of the table so the extra survivability is nice. On the other hand, everything I read says Raven is the best choice because of Cawl's Wrath and the bonus to advancing. The thing is, I'm not sure how useful those things are for this army as I'm mostly looking for a good gunline component to help balance out the melee of the rest of the army.

The core of the soup list is the CP farm. It's much less objectionable to just run BA and Knights, although I'm personally beginning to question a bit how effective it ends up being because you're so starved for CP

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

spacegoat posted:

I played Orks with GSC last night and it was utterly unfun. Orks don't care about the BS modifiers after the first so all the tough positioning, range, and movement decisions don't apply to them. 7 points gets you a boy with a big shoota who can do pretty much whatever he wants putting out 3 S5 shots, and he can still kick the poo poo out of you in assault. In a game where S/T 4+ feels king, and a GEQ army like GSC can be easily outnumbered by that, it feels broken.

Of course I'm Bad At Games and I'll keep playing it, but I don't really have an answer to it right now. At least not with that army.

Yeah, Orks are nuts. I realized that I probably lost the game first turn after I lost a plague marine to a lucky booby trap, and then lost my flail marine to the Ork strategem that gives out a mortal would on a 4+. We were playing the mission where you get vp for kills and for running off the opponents board edge. As soon as I lost two out of my five plague marines first turn I was really struggling to figure out how to stop the large amount of Orks remaining from just walking off.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
What color is a Salamander's beard?

(If they can even grow one)

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

In any case, I need some help picking the right house for my big stompy boys. I am leaning Hawkshroud because the fluff meshes well with the BA and I intend to let the Castellan camp at the back of the table so the extra survivability is nice. On the other hand, everything I read says Raven is the best choice because of Cawl's Wrath and the bonus to advancing. The thing is, I'm not sure how useful those things are for this army as I'm mostly looking for a good gunline component to help balance out the melee of the rest of the army.

I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, but I am a big fan of creating your own house to try both of them out and figure out what works best for your list. Make your own fluff to go with them. That's what I've ended up doing for my knights.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Technowolf posted:

quote:

Aximillion: The death of Aximillion is ignored for the purposes of morale tests.

loving. Monsters.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Technowolf posted:

Welp. That's awesome.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

loving. Monsters.

The death of aximillion should prompt an inmediate morale test :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Those concussion grenades would be great if there was a Grenadiers-like strat for them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

When I painted up a Marine with a Salamander skin tone I gave him a white beard for contrast. But I imagine almost anything goes but the dark grey skin is going to make some stuff pop like crazy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

House Raven is awesome.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hell it should be the opposite. Ignore morale tests while hes alive. A loyal dog.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

TheBigAristotle posted:

Paint them like flames, burning beard like a dark iron dwarf.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

papasyhotcakes posted:

I'm really hoping that becomes a standard, because my plague marines becoming real sad when the pox walkers die is stupid. Orks and gretchin too. Maybe even heretics marines and cultists and Thousand Sons and Tzaangors.

Speaking KT has anyone played against grey knights? On paper it seems completely and absolutely bonkers to me that they all get psybolt. It's insanely good even in Thousand Sons where only a single dude can cast it. Casting it five times in a round seems incredibly overpowered to me.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mikey Purp posted:

The Castellan doesn't really need to move very much, which negates the value of the Raven Advance. It's essential if you end up picking up a Valiant to go with your Castellan, but the Castellan on its own can do just fine with its base 10" movement.

Given that you've got entirely shooty Knights, you may want to look at House Vulker. They're Mechanicus too, so you can still get Cawl's Wrath, but the Vulker strat that lets every '6' count as 2 hits is devastating when you're throwing 2d6 Wrath and 1d6 Lance shots downrange every turn. The re-roll '1s' when shooting the closest target is just gravy at that point...though its actually pretty useful if you're sending your Helverins forward to knock enemy infantry off objectives.

Pendent posted:

The core of the soup list is the CP farm. It's much less objectionable to just run BA and Knights, although I'm personally beginning to question a bit how effective it ends up being because you're so starved for CP

Blood Angels have an okay CP farm ability of their own so even without the Guard element you won't be totally out in the cold for CP. Much less CP than with Guard, certainly, but not totally hosed.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I'm really hoping that becomes a standard, because my plague marines becoming real sad when the pox walkers die is stupid. Orks and gretchin too. Maybe even heretics marines and cultists and Thousand Sons and Tzaangors.

Speaking KT has anyone played against grey knights? On paper it seems completely and absolutely bonkers to me that they all get psybolt. It's insanely good even in Thousand Sons where only a single dude can cast it. Casting it five times in a round seems incredibly overpowered to me.

code:
Some models are noted as being a PSYKER on their
datasheet. Psykers can manifest their otherworldly
abilities and attempt to deny enemy sorceries. In the
Psychic phase, players take it in turn to choose a single
psyker from their kill team with which to attempt to
manifest one or more psychic powers, in the order
determined in the Initiative phase. Each player can only
choose a single psyker in each battle round, and once all
players with any psykers have done so (or have decided
not to), the Psychic phase ends and the Shooting phase
begins. Each attempt to manifest a psychic power uses
the following sequence.
I think this prevents it?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Harkano posted:

code:
Some models are noted as being a PSYKER on their
datasheet. Psykers can manifest their otherworldly
abilities and attempt to deny enemy sorceries. In the
Psychic phase, players take it in turn to choose a single
psyker from their kill team with which to attempt to
manifest one or more psychic powers, in the order
determined in the Initiative phase. Each player can only
choose a single psyker in each battle round, and once all
players with any psykers have done so (or have decided
not to), the Psychic phase ends and the Shooting phase
begins. Each attempt to manifest a psychic power uses
the following sequence.
I think this prevents it?

Oh drat, it does indeed. One power per player per phase, makes sense. I couldn't figure out how it wouldn't be insane otherwise.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I played them at nova they can only cast once per psychic phase but it can come from any member of the KT. They are real good but not crazy broken they suffer from having incredibly poor board control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Blood Angels have an okay CP farm ability of their own so even without the Guard element you won't be totally out in the cold for CP. Much less CP than with Guard, certainly, but not totally hosed.

There's a very big difference between making 2ish CP back per game from the Veritas Vitae vs the insanity that is the CP farm. This is particularly relevant when there are almost always 2 other relics you want to be taking.