Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Hi I just heard the wonderful news that the Koreans bought your spaceship game.

:laffo:

Well it was probably that or Tencent / Perfect World. What would you have preferred?

Tencent bought path of exile and that games doing just fine. Bdo is more pay for quality of life then anything. I don't think the company who bought eve will go too far In that direction seeing as how the remaining player base would just quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rutibex posted:

A pure FPS doesn't make much sense in the context of EVE. Why use foot soldiers when "planetary vehicles" only cost 90k isk? "Elite Slaves" sell for 300k+, it doesn't make financial sense to use waves of foot soldiers instead of vehicles.

They should have done a "space GTA" set on the four home worlds of the different factions.

Planetary invasions in general do not make sense. The amount of ressources requires would be astronomical and so would the time it takes.

The only way planetary invasions work, is if you do it like in Warhammer. Just wipe out all trace of life from the planet, then re-colonize. At least that's my understanding of how they do it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

Planetary invasions in general do not make sense. The amount of ressources requires would be astronomical and so would the time it takes.

The only way planetary invasions work, is if you do it like in Warhammer. Just wipe out all trace of life from the planet, then re-colonize. At least that's my understanding of how they do it.

True that makes even more sense. It only costs few million to set up a planetary colony, and that's fully upgraded. So why invade and poo poo? Just shoot a few antimatter cruse missiles at the planet from orbit until everything is dead then put down a new colony.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

NC and PL are going to use this an excuse and retire "undefeated" aren't they?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xae posted:

NC and PL are going to use this an excuse and retire "undefeated" aren't they?

already have, lawl

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/9dhz4y/another_bows_out_of_new_eden_o7_pl/

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Let WoW die. Let EVE die. I want a proper space MMO and/or RPG that isn't bogged down by 2003-era bullshit. Elite: Dangerous is skin deep and fighter-sized craft only, and Star Citizen has its own (aptly-named) subforum for a reason. Every other good sci fi game or IP that I've found is in the 4X genre. There basically is no game along the lines of "command a big starship ala Star Trek and go on a variety of combat and non-combat space adventures" and it makes me really sad. :(

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Kimsemus posted:

sorry if it's a stupid question but what do you mean by the 64 bit client? Are they working on converting from 32 bit? Blizzbois just did this with WoW.

wow's had a working, out-of-beta 64 bit client for more than five years now

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
Resubbed and immediately got tackled and had a carrier dropped on me by neutrals at a lowsec gate. That was definitely not something you had to worry about 10 years ago when I left.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Blazing Zero posted:

i just wanted to play the dust 514 part two: dust harder before tencent or a copycat company got a hold of it. dust was fun and i dont want to pay 4.95 per shootmans skill in a ps4 exclusive :(

Making dust 514 a playstation exclusive really was the dumbest decision ever. If it was released for PC you have an audience of 100k people who are at least marginally interested in the game. Would have been a nice thing to alt-tab to when you're waiting around in EVE. But nope.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

go for a stroll posted:

Resubbed and immediately got tackled and had a carrier dropped on me by neutrals at a lowsec gate. That was definitely not something you had to worry about 10 years ago when I left.

People are ratting in supercarriers (or motherships I guess, as you'd still know them) . It's a different world.

LesbianCharizard
Feb 1, 2012

Rutibex posted:

No one truly quits until they remove the EVE thread from their bookmarks.

Truth has been spoken.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

No one truly quits until they remove the EVE thread from their bookmarks.

Who needs a bookmark when the eve thread is every banner ad

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i'm looking forward to the new ccp employee, ccp anime tiddies, layin down the haps on eve's new direction

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Siets posted:

Let WoW die. Let EVE die. I want a proper space MMO and/or RPG that isn't bogged down by 2003-era bullshit. Elite: Dangerous is skin deep and fighter-sized craft only, and Star Citizen has its own (aptly-named) subforum for a reason. Every other good sci fi game or IP that I've found is in the 4X genre. There basically is no game along the lines of "command a big starship ala Star Trek and go on a variety of combat and non-combat space adventures" and it makes me really sad. :(

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is pretty neat. It goes from "walking around FPS" scale all the way up to capital ships. Its not a "proper" mmo like EVE, its more like Minecraft with lots of smaller persistent servers. You make the ships out of block parts, which means you can design pretty much anything. You can share blueprints too, so its fairly like EVE you just throw the right minerals into the the blueprint and a ship comes out an hour later. Because people can make whatever they want almost every EVE ship has been modeled, but not just the outside they have mde full interiors for each of the ships too. You can't do drone fighters in Empyrion, but you can dock fighter craft in you capital ships for other players to fly. Its still a bit early in its development but its already a really fun game:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849704

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Rutibex posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is pretty neat. It goes from "walking around FPS" scale all the way up to capital ships. Its not a "proper" mmo like EVE, its more like Minecraft with lots of smaller persistent servers. You make the ships out of block parts, which means you can design pretty much anything. You can share blueprints too, so its fairly like EVE you just throw the right minerals into the the blueprint and a ship comes out an hour later. Because people can make whatever they want almost every EVE ship has been modeled, but not just the outside they have mde full interiors for each of the ships too. You can't do drone fighters in Empyrion, but you can dock fighter craft in you capital ships for other players to fly. Its still a bit early in its development but its already a really fun game:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849704

Star citizen looking low-rez.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i'm looking forward to the new ccp employee, ccp anime tiddies, layin down the haps on eve's new direction

I wonder if they manage to enlarge tits, because nobody has beaten my alt so far.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

yogizh posted:

I wonder if they manage to enlarge tits, because nobody has beaten my alt so far.

Post the best eve tiddies u got.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Siets posted:

There's star trek online, actually :v:

Space combat in that game is more fun by the simple fact that weapons have firing arcs. Fast attack ships like the Defiant have forward-facing cannons that fire in limited arc, so you need to set up strafing attack runs and then come around for another run. Big cruisers on the other hand have a lot of 180 degree phasers spread over the hull, so you want to maneuver to get big broadsides in.

Something as simple as that would be nice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Star citizen looking low-rez.

Empyrion is basically Star Citizen, except it works and is playable. They spent their time making a game instead of helmet animations.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Hello, dumb black desert bittervet here. Y'all could have had companies far worse than pearl abyss buying out CCP. PA has been pushing the boundaries of how much P2W people are willing to put up with in the west, but that boundary is far behind the likes of companies like Trion/XLGames. And BDO is such a fundamentally different game than EVE to begin with. Whales can already swipe to buy plex to sell for ISK to buy whatever in eve. Skill injectors already exist. Whales can already poo poo out alt pilots to do whatever they want with skill injectors. I only briefly played EVE for a few months like 5 or 6 years ago, what was the outcry over skill injectors like? Did people scream P2W dead game over that? Someone mentioned PA investing into CCP for a long time already, which is interesting to me because skill injectors sound like a very pearl-abyssy thing to add.

If I had to guess, PA will add some cash shop elements that are better dollar to ISK ratios than buying plex, but in the grand scheme of things are still poo poo ratios. They will also probably add some "optional subscription" type of mechanics, like say an item that gives you a 2 week buff that makes your ratting ticks bigger by some percentage, or makes mission payouts better, or makes skill points train faster or something. They might add a way to speed up or instantly complete anything that currently takes real world time to finish (manufacturing jobs maybe?) I don't know the first thing about manufacturing in EVE, but if there is any sort of material that is a routine bottleneck, they could conceivably add a cash shop item that multiplies that bottleneck item. Current ship insurance only pays out a fraction of the ships value, right? I could easily see them adding premium insurance that pays out a more complete percentage. Stuff like that.

I really don't see them adding anything crazy like say, an item that hides you from local, or fancy ships that are only obtainable through the cash shop.

Essentially everything that provides an in-game advantage on the BDO cash shop is either dollars to silver at some ratio, some sort of time saver, or something that improves the efficiency of an in-game activity. Time saving elements being things like pets that pick up loot, or things that let you repair gear out in the field instead of having to go back to town. The most recent P2w uproar was a patch last week that added unlimited purchasing of an item that prevents your gear from downgrading when you fail an enhancement attempt. But the dollar to silver ratio on that is still so incredibly beyond lovely that only the biggest of whales are going to gain an advantage from it. Think $150-200 for 1 attempt at something that has a sub 10% chance of success. Even if it succeeds that is just 1 item out of 13 slots.

I want to say the biggest thing to worry about is PA loving with the balance of the game in completely nonsensical ways, and doing complete overhauls of systems that nobody asked for. They've already demonstrated their willingness to do this in BDO multiple times this year alone. But CCP already did both of those regularly from how EVE players describe it. :haw: So maybe that will just be the new boss being the same as the old boss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Also, CCP now has 425 million bucks more to burn. Everyone wins.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Libluini posted:

Also, CCP now has 425 million bucks more to burn. Everyone wins.

No it doesn't, the $425m goes to CCP's previous owners.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

J posted:

Hello, dumb black desert bittervet here. Y'all could have had companies far worse than pearl abyss buying out CCP. PA has been pushing the boundaries of how much P2W people are willing to put up with in the west, but that boundary is far behind the likes of companies like Trion/XLGames. And BDO is such a fundamentally different game than EVE to begin with. Whales can already swipe to buy plex to sell for ISK to buy whatever in eve. Skill injectors already exist. Whales can already poo poo out alt pilots to do whatever they want with skill injectors. I only briefly played EVE for a few months like 5 or 6 years ago, what was the outcry over skill injectors like? Did people scream P2W dead game over that? Someone mentioned PA investing into CCP for a long time already, which is interesting to me because skill injectors sound like a very pearl-abyssy thing to add.

I don't know how well you know about it, but skill injectors are a bit of a misnomer. At first people flipped their poo poo about CCP selling skill injectors straight out. But it doesn't actually inject skillpoints. You buy an extractor with PLEX and then you suck the skills out of your head, and then sell them to other people who inject them (usually at a slight loss of points) into their head.

If PA changes it to direct purchasing of skill points there will be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Also, CCP doesn't really overhaul systems no one asked they don't overhaul. Their thing is more "don't overhaul the systems that EVERYONE is asking for and overhaul systems that some people are asking for but are cheaper to overhaul"

Usually anyway. They royally hosed over the mission UI for absolutely no reason that anyone can determine.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Rutibex posted:

Welp, I guess it's time to start spending my isk. Its all going to be worthless soon, people are going to need "premium coins" or whatever to play EVE now.

I wouldn't say so quite yet. Acquisitions work out in favor of those acquired all the time. Two great examples are Drew Estate Cigars and Goose Island Brewing.

DE makes some of the best cigars on the market, and in 2015, they were acquired by Swisher, who makes blunt wraps. Their cigars haven't suffered in quality or price at all. In fact, I'd say now that they have a larger team, they've been coming out with more unique offerings at better price points with no compromise on quality.

Goose Island was acquired by Anheuser-Busch InBev, but they still release Bourbon County, Lolita, and all of their other craft beers with the same quality their customers are accustomed to.

An acquisition isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if the agreement provides for CCP maintaining their own creative direction and revenue model.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Post the best eve tiddies u got.

There you go.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The problem is that someone needs to stop CCP from doing their normal thing, so if they still have their freedom we're hosed.

Edit: Can we not tempt frozen pussy back to this here eve thread please.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Siets posted:

Any good 4X sci fi you can recommend?

Philonius posted:

There's star trek online, actually :v:

Space combat in that game is more fun by the simple fact that weapons have firing arcs. Fast attack ships like the Defiant have forward-facing cannons that fire in limited arc, so you need to set up strafing attack runs and then come around for another run. Big cruisers on the other hand have a lot of 180 degree phasers spread over the hull, so you want to maneuver to get big broadsides in.

Something as simple as that would be nice.

You just reminded me of StarTrek Bridge Commanders. drat I wish they're do another one of those.
Wait, no.. they'd follow the Startrek Discovery timeline. NVM

Dalael fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 6, 2018

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Pearl Abyss curing the cancer in EVE on day 1

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

CainFortea posted:

The problem is that someone needs to stop CCP from doing their normal thing, so if they still have their freedom we're hosed.

I dunno. Their normal thing is what got them through over a decade of keeping the lights on, not to mention cultivating a love for their game in thousands of fans that include the ones posting here.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

El Marrow posted:

I dunno. Their normal thing is what got them through over a decade of keeping the lights on, not to mention cultivating a love for their game in thousands of fans that include the ones posting here.

Plus, Eve is profitable. The proof of that is the countless failed projects that Hilmar funded by milking Eve. That right there is why I have a non-zero amount of hope for the future -- ostensibly, Pearl Abyss won't be using Eve as their sole source of cash to fulfill the fever dreams of a fart-water-addled maniac. They can gently caress things up a bunch of different ways, of course, but I'll take those odds compared to the alternative.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

El Marrow posted:

I wouldn't say so quite yet. Acquisitions work out in favor of those acquired all the time. Two great examples are Drew Estate Cigars and Goose Island Brewing.

DE makes some of the best cigars on the market, and in 2015, they were acquired by Swisher, who makes blunt wraps. Their cigars haven't suffered in quality or price at all. In fact, I'd say now that they have a larger team, they've been coming out with more unique offerings at better price points with no compromise on quality.

Goose Island was acquired by Anheuser-Busch InBev, but they still release Bourbon County, Lolita, and all of their other craft beers with the same quality their customers are accustomed to.

An acquisition isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if the agreement provides for CCP maintaining their own creative direction and revenue model.

I sure hope so. Just now I logged in and I finally ticked over another digit :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmXHvGZiSY&t=33s

I don't want all of my space money to turn into sand :(

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Plus, Eve is profitable. The proof of that is the countless failed projects that Hilmar funded by milking Eve. That right there is why I have a non-zero amount of hope for the future -- ostensibly, Pearl Abyss won't be using Eve as their sole source of cash to fulfill the fever dreams of a fart-water-addled maniac. They can gently caress things up a bunch of different ways, of course, but I'll take those odds compared to the alternative.

Honestly, I think the acquisition was primarily to tap into CCP's experience in scaling, being that CCP are scaling gods. People love to hate CCP, and I don't really get it. EVE is a technical marvel behind the curtain.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Rutibex posted:

I sure hope so. Just now I logged in and I finally ticked over another digit :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmXHvGZiSY&t=33s

I don't want all of my space money to turn into sand :(

Players like you make me angry about how much of a lazy pos I am. I don't think I broke 100b with all my 3 characters combined in like 9 years of (on and off) play

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The faint silver lining, I guess.

I mean, if they actually invest some of the money they've been throwing around into upgrading EVE, they have a fairly open-ended product on their hands.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just heard the news and all i gotta say is lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

El Marrow posted:

Honestly, I think the acquisition was primarily to tap into CCP's experience in scaling, being that CCP are scaling gods. People love to hate CCP, and I don't really get it. EVE is a technical marvel behind the curtain.

EVE's code is a dead language that is horribly obsolete, and what is interesting is how far they've pushed it not that it has useful stuff you can export to your other single-threaded python-coded games.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

El Marrow posted:

Also CCP's server infrastructure was built by the Department of Defense and their experts, no one in CCP's house.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

Also CCP's server infrastructure was built by the Department of Defense and their experts, no one in CCP's house.

i'm pretty sure CCP's server infrastructure is bog-standard x86 servers, just with the best single-threaded processor they could find because their mmo isn't multithreaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

i'm pretty sure CCP's server infrastructure is bog-standard x86 servers, just with the best single-threaded processor they could find because their mmo isn't multithreaded

While it probably is, I seem to remember in CCP's own press releases back in the day that the DoD helped to link all their poo poo together and do sorcery to reduce latency or something. I think becaue of the sheer number of servers.