Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
:smug: Haha you like {thing}?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1037408270225424384

I was trying to find this forever yesterday, finally found it in schad thread

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Why would you ever call yourself a gamer? Even if you’re not a pos no one else refers to themselves by their hobby like that.

Bikers do. Maybe vapers IDK?

Anyways guillotine anyone who's ever used the phrase "casual" in reference to playing games.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Sep 6, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jivjov's avatar doesn't lie

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anyways guillotine anyone who's ever used the phrase "casual" in reference to playing games.

Spoken like a true casual

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
If any group of people need a term like Gamers it's people who read books and don't shut up about how they read books. Bonus points if they're one of the "ebooks aren't books" types.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I also like how casual is used as a term of derision and scorn.

"You have other things in your life apart from Video Games? Loser."

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ularg posted:

If any group of people need a term like Gamers it's people who read books and don't shut up about how they read books. Bonus points if they're one of the "ebooks aren't books" types.

"Sapiosexual".

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh god, vapers are the loving worst - imagine if people got this obsessive about electric toothbrushes? 'Just got my new Oral-B Mouthblaster 5004x with the titanium head replacement and hardwood grip - it's not as smooth a 'brush as I'm used to, but the head rotation is 10x as intense as my old Colgate BrushmaticPlus'

Ugh.

edit: you know they'd have homebrew toothpaste too.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Pookah posted:

Oh god, vapers are the loving worst - imagine if people got this obsessive about electric toothbrushes? 'Just got my new Oral-B Mouthblaster 5004x with the titanium head replacement and hardwood grip - it's not as smooth a 'brush as I'm used to, but the head rotation is 10x as intense as my old Colgate BrushmaticPlus'

Ugh.

Have you tried brushing you teeth with one of those electric song toothbrushes playing Through the Fire and Flames? I think not!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ularg posted:

one of the "ebooks aren't books" types.

For any kind of research you still can't beat the UI of a big-rear end desk and books with bookmarks; for speed, comfort, or reliability. For just reading one book :shrug: but also if you're not looking for English-language books your selection will be really limited.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Can we just call ourselves gaming enthusiasts instead?

Maybe say we're..."gamey"?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

EmmyOk posted:

Why would you ever call yourself a gamer? Even if you’re not a pos no one else refers to themselves by their hobby like that.

During the 80's and 90s people who played videogames was sort of an oddity before all the bored housewives picked up mobile gaming.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ularg posted:

Have you tried brushing you teeth with one of those electric song toothbrushes playing Through the Fire and Flames? I think not!

I did.

Once

Nah I ha no teeff :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

During the 80's and 90s people who played videogames was sort of an oddity before all the bored housewives picked up mobile gaming.

That's... not true? Unless you mean people who were grown-rear end adults in the 80s.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i;m gamey

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe vapers IDK?

plz we prefer the term vapists

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, then they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

im pooping! posted:

plz we prefer the term vapists

More like vapid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seldom Posts posted:

Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, then they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.

Thanks, Lottery of Babylon.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Seldom Posts posted:

yeah old gamers weren't very cool either

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only cool gamers are kids that still play Minecraft.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I remember the times of "real gamer gurlz" when some young women suffered from all this internalized misogyny because they weren't like those other girls, they played REAL games and weren't just doing it to get attention from boys :rolleyes:

That doesn't seem to be much of a thing anymore and likely due to Gamergate making all women distance themselves from "gamers" in general.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyways she's wrong because she's completely ignoring the existence of cheap microcomputers which were abundant and had a flourishing game industry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I thought of a worse one: youtuber

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Thanks, Lottery of Babylon.

ehh, LOB's thing is more crazy quotes from non-famous people?

Funny thing is that when I looked up that quote I found an article blaming old man murray for gamergate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seldom Posts posted:

ehh, LOB's thing is more crazy quotes from non-famous people?

She hasn't been famous for decades. Unless, of course, you're a gamer :smugbert:

e: Oh gently caress yeah youtuber and blogger. But, worst of all, maker.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

zoux posted:

Oh I thought of a worse one: youtuber

Streamer

Viner

Goon

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does your house have games?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RoboRodent posted:

I like video games, I play video games, and I used to call myself a gamer because that made sense, but now I don't because "gamer" apparently means "I have no other interests or skills do the extent of being a sociopath" so there goes one perfectly good word.

It’s the difference between “someone who plays games” and “someone who primarily identifies as a player of games”

Sure in the before time there was maybe some nuance, but at this point the latter group has more or less poisoned the word. I’d blame capitalism for teaching us to craft our identities around the products we consume, but Gamers seem to have a whole extra level of bullshit going on too.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Krispy Wafer posted:

Can we just call ourselves gaming enthusiasts instead?

Maybe say we're..."gamey"?

A bunch of people I know have taken to using "gameing" instead of "gaming" on social media specifically to avoid the kind of idiots who search on the latter to Maintain Its Purity or whatthefuckever.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like the attitude that developers should be catering to hardcore gamerz and not "casuals," as if their goal isn't to sell as many games as possible.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

I like the attitude that developers should be catering to hardcore gamerz and not "casuals," as if their goal isn't to sell as many games as possible.

The problem is that whining about games not having hardcore rewards gets rewards. It works sadly. Even in WoW, an absurdly hardcore game by casual standards, there's hardcore gamer rewards to the detriment of other people playing the game because not having them leads to endless whining.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arivia posted:

Even in WoW, an absurdly hardcore game by casual standards

:lol: what?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WoW's time just to get to level cap, where the real game begins, is measured in DAYS of playtime. That's not casual, let alone the actual hardcore content like raids or arenas or whatever.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I am... a Pokemon master.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arivia posted:

WoW's time just to get to level cap, where the real game begins, is measured in DAYS of playtime.

Beating Candy Crush Saga takes months. Millions and millions of people play games like WoW exactly because it's a way to kill a lot of time by clicking on stuff to kill big-titted birds or whatever the enemies are nowadays.

e: To paraphrase: for normal people games are a pastime and WoW passes a lot of time.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Sep 6, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks, they're right, I'm clicking furiously and nothing is happening

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

WoW's time just to get to level cap, where the real game begins, is measured in DAYS of playtime. That's not casual, let alone the actual hardcore content like raids or arenas or whatever.

A lot of people play WoW extremely casually. Or did when it was at its height. These aren't people who are hitting level cap in a week, they might hit level cap in 4-5 months. To them the game doesn't start at level cap, thats where it ends, and they start a new character. WoW made inroads into some really unusual markets.
Had a coworker in her late 40's the played the game with her mom and other family members. They don't care about the end goal of the game, or in a few cases, probably didn't know it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀