Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Mister Sinewave posted:

Like, there are two kinds of people who look at a six inch tall 3D printed copy of the Thinker or whatever:

"How long did that take to print?"
"About six hours, hands-off printing."

Group 1's reaction: disgust and shock, six loving hours? that's just a plastic thing that looks like something I should be able to buy at the dollar store.

Group 2's reaction: *gears turning as they mentally compare to literally any other method of making it yourself* "gently caress that's pretty goddamned cool"

yep i have noticed this 100% among my students too

the grad students, mature students, veterans, etc -- people who've worked in the real world for a while, usually in jobs where they had to build things -- are all blown away that you can just push print and leave and pick up the part later, no painstaking manual labor with a mill and lathe and files and saws and such. i can do something else in the meantime and then just a little bit of sanding and it's good to go! amazing!

the straight-from-high-school undergrads, some of whom have apparently never even touched a screwdriver, apparently think that a 3d printer works like a star trek replicator because they go "twelve HOURS? uugghghhh that's so looooonggggg my class is in 45 minutes now what am i going to doooooo"

same deal with 3d rendering. i catch the kids sometimes bragging about a big rendering they did that took TWO HOURS omggggggg, and i'm like bitch when i was in school it was mind-blowing that you could start a render and pick up the 800x600 file 14 hours later instead of spending that time drawing it yourself with markers and pencils (and you'd still often opt to do it by hand because at least then if the computer crashed you'd still have something to hand in)

angry about the kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

duffmensch posted:

I wouldn’t expect it to hold up very well. I don’t have a v2 myself, but does your block have any holes like this: https://www.mpselectmini.com/howto/heater_block

Edit: what happens when you heat up the nozzle and clean the nozzle? I usually use a set of tweezers to scrape it clean and then try to extrude to confirm it’s working properly again

Ooh thanks, I was looking for that kind of diagram! I'll have a look tomorrow, much appreciated. Heating it up and scraping it up doesn't seem to do much, unfortunately.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
The Pallette Mosaic 2 actually looks really good. I watched the video on tested and 3d printing nerd a week or two back and looks like a huge improvement on the first generation.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
A bit pissed off at the Prusa and the 3d solutech filament right now. Something happened and the solutech filament stripped like a motherfucker and after removing it no filament would load correctly. Had to tear the head apart to get at the hotend assembly and it seemed fine. Reassemble and it now works for whatever reason. Only like an IKEA piece of furniture I now have an "extra" screw and one other part had the threads strip. Will have to track down a longer screw and a nut to fix that little problem.

The small test part I was printing had an assload of retractions because I didn't think to turn it off, that's probably the cause of the initial strip even though I've never had stripping with other filaments. Had to pull it out hard and I guess that is what hosed up whatever. Regardless I'm tossing that spool, the "transparent" looks cool but between it being spooled too tight, it having a tangle, and now this it just isn't worth the trouble.

:ughh:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Spray painting an object takes seconds, airbrushing takes similar amounts of time and can be done to look a fuckload better than any multi-color (Palette) print I've seen.

Yeah, if you're going to get tiny paintbrushes and try to Bob Ross it you're going to take forever. But even then the final product will look much better than the Palette/MMU prints I've seen offered as "You could make a print that looks like this!"

Yes, it takes seconds if you totally discount having to have a place to paint, getting the paint out, adding another step to your production process, oh, and having only a single color.

I mean, maybe the Palette sucks so bad that it isn't even worth it, but the concept is far superior to having to paint anything.

The videos I've seen of the Palette 2 would take a long time to manually recreate with paint.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
As a side note on painting, for those of you that do paint your models: what do you use to seal it after? I tried krylon but my models have complex surfaces and I'd prefer something I could paint on rather than trying to get a spray can's nozzle into the various nooks and crannies.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Listerine posted:

As a side note on painting, for those of you that do paint your models: what do you use to seal it after? I tried krylon but my models have complex surfaces and I'd prefer something I could paint on rather than trying to get a spray can's nozzle into the various nooks and crannies.

I would get used to spray priming and rotating it all around with thin layer. Brushing primer on a model where you want to preserve detail is very prone to applying too much .

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, it takes seconds if you totally discount having to have a place to paint, getting the paint out, adding another step to your production process, oh, and having only a single color.

Don't forget:

- waiting for it to dry
- having a place to put it while it dries

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 7, 2018

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I agree, the Palette 2 looks a lot better. I do wonder how much pre-video calibration they did. I'm going to restart the whole process from scratch, and see how it turns out. One of the things I want to try is using PVA as a support material. That to me is the bigger value of this kind of system. If I get this working well, I may drop the cash on the new one. $500 USD is not that bad. I wouldn't have paid for this version, though. $1000 is definitely too much.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
As with all modelling top coats, spray light, many coats.

Alternate directions on each coat. I normally do side to side and up/down.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You can also spray in a way that the coat falls onto the part rather than spraying directly. Just shoot a little in the air in short spurts and let it settle onto the model.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Thermopyle posted:

oh, and having only a single color.

Yeah, because airbrush painted objects can only be done in a single color. :rolleyes:

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I have zero skill with painting, so it's kind of a moot point.

I got pretty frustrated last night with the P+. I'm currently planning a new printer, so now I'm looking into a dual-carriage design so I can have two distinct hotends. Single nozzle multiextrusion is a huge pain and has a lot of waste. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, but those aren't done in mere seconds which is the very point I was criticizing.

I mean, did you actually think I thought it wasn't possible to paint things in multiple colors?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TwystNeko posted:

I agree, the Palette 2 looks a lot better. I do wonder how much pre-video calibration they did. I'm going to restart the whole process from scratch, and see how it turns out. One of the things I want to try is using PVA as a support material. That to me is the bigger value of this kind of system. If I get this working well, I may drop the cash on the new one. $500 USD is not that bad. I wouldn't have paid for this version, though. $1000 is definitely too much.

I went ahead and preordered Palette 2, will let you guys know how it is whenever it comes in. I print multiple colors a lot with a pause in between (coasters and such) and having it be able to do that for me would save a lot of time.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've had a problem where reels and reels of filament getting water logged because I absently-minded leave them out. Some abs reels, some of them still full, turned to dry spaghetti-like where the filament splits when there is any bend given.

I tried the oven method but the temps I see online do dry out the filament but also warps the spools. Maybe the temps were wrong but it is fiddly.

I found out a solution and I have turned several reels of spun spaghetti back into the bendy-bendy to using dehydration. Where are you going? Come back!

There are these cheapy dehydrators out there that instead of metal grates to put your various jerky/fruits it uses plastic. Presto makes one that looks like this.

I leave a reel in it overnight and the reel is back to normal (after letting it cool down a bit) All moisture is gone.

The mod I had to do was to buy two extra trays for 20 dollars for the pair and go all around the inner rim and cut out the mesh leaving the outer air duct/wall intact because you need to create the pressure difference to move the air out constantly.

I found putting an extra normal trap above and below the reel to move the most air and let the hot air spread more. I did some strawberries after I did a reel and I tasted no acrid smells like abs/nylon usually does. I just water rinsed the trays.

The other benefit I found was the peace of mind of not having to worry about filament busting out in flames. If things were set on fire in these dehydrators they certain would not be called dehydrators heh.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

TwystNeko posted:

I have zero skill with painting, so it's kind of a moot point.

I got pretty frustrated last night with the P+. I'm currently planning a new printer, so now I'm looking into a dual-carriage design so I can have two distinct hotends. Single nozzle multiextrusion is a huge pain and has a lot of waste. :(

LOL if you think dual nozzles won't be even worse. The problems those present are the reason so much work has gone into single-nozzle designs.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, but those aren't done in mere seconds which is the very point I was criticizing.

I mean, did you actually think I thought it wasn't possible to paint things in multiple colors?

No, but I can pretty well guarantee you that someone painting an object in multiple colors can paint it faster than current hobby-level printers can do it while achieving high-quality results.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EVIL Gibson posted:

I've had a problem where reels and reels of filament getting water logged because I absently-minded leave them out. Some abs reels, some of them still full, turned to dry spaghetti-like where the filament splits when there is any bend given.

I tried the oven method but the temps I see online do dry out the filament but also warps the spools. Maybe the temps were wrong but it is fiddly.

I found out a solution and I have turned several reels of spun spaghetti back into the bendy-bendy to using dehydration. Where are you going? Come back!

There are these cheapy dehydrators out there that instead of metal grates to put your various jerky/fruits it uses plastic. Presto makes one that looks like this.

I leave a reel in it overnight and the reel is back to normal (after letting it cool down a bit) All moisture is gone.

The mod I had to do was to buy two extra trays for 20 dollars for the pair and go all around the inner rim and cut out the mesh leaving the outer air duct/wall intact because you need to create the pressure difference to move the air out constantly.

I found putting an extra normal trap above and below the reel to move the most air and let the hot air spread more. I did some strawberries after I did a reel and I tasted no acrid smells like abs/nylon usually does. I just water rinsed the trays.

The other benefit I found was the peace of mind of not having to worry about filament busting out in flames. If things were set on fire in these dehydrators they certain would not be called dehydrators heh.
2 of my friends recently gor food dehydrators for their filaments, really works but its not a quick process. Apparently theres a "filament dryer" on amazon for $100 but then theres a $50 "food dehydrator" using literally the exact same product with a different label so he bought the food one.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

bring back old gbs posted:

2 of my friends recently gor food dehydrators for their filaments, really works but its not a quick process. Apparently theres a "filament dryer" on amazon for $100 but then theres a $50 "food dehydrator" using literally the exact same product with a different label so he bought the food one.

For sure, not a quick process at all but you always get good results from it and I feel good enough to leaving it running throughout the night since it just blows warm air. Not raging hair dryer warm, but sauna warm.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I've seen some pretty well designed dual nozzle systems. Possibly the simplest design I've seen uses just magnets and a couple sleds. The belt gripping part has a big beefy neodymium magnet on it, and there are carriages on either side of the x axis with opposing polarity.

The only issues I see are needing to power 2 hotends and extruders. Ramps can do that, just needs a little breakout for the fans. Then it's just levelling the hotends, which can be accounted for in the design. And most setups I see use wipers to keep the nozzles from oozing. It's basically a solved issue.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay, good luck!

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Is there some tool or utility out there that I can apply to my models to remove extraneous sections of the model to make it lighter?

I wanted to remove excess material but still keep it strong, like this person did with their FT Mini frame:

Is that something you do in OpenSCAD or is there a function in tinkercad?

mewse
May 2, 2006

johnnyonetime posted:

Is there some tool or utility out there that I can apply to my models to remove extraneous sections of the model to make it lighter?

I wanted to remove excess material but still keep it strong, like this person did with their FT Mini frame:

Never done it but you probably want to check out meshmixer

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TBH you're probably better off printing with less infill and/or layers. Putting small holes in like that can even backfire because you get a bunch of perimeters where there used to be infill.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

johnnyonetime posted:

This isn't just removing materials, so I'm sure there's other ways to do stuff like this, but a cool one is using topology optimization in Fusion 360. Stefan of CNC Kitchen did a video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAGFkWkqocI

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Rexxed posted:

This isn't just removing materials, so I'm sure there's other ways to do stuff like this, but a cool one is using topology optimization in Fusion 360. Stefan of CNC Kitchen did a video about it:

Wow that's pretty fancy. Definitely the correct way to do what I was asking. I found a much easier solution for my needs and I thought I'd share it. There's a "honeycomb grid" function for Tinkercad that you can drop in your shape generator. Just copy and paste from this page here:
https://api.tinkercad.com/libraries/foFAfjuDaPy/0/docs/index.html

It uses javascript and math to create the honeycomb for you :science: Then you can generate a grid for the size you're looking for and turn it into a hole. Pretty quick and painless!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

johnnyonetime posted:

Wow that's pretty fancy. Definitely the correct way to do what I was asking. I found a much easier solution for my needs and I thought I'd share it. There's a "honeycomb grid" function for Tinkercad that you can drop in your shape generator. Just copy and paste from this page here:
https://api.tinkercad.com/libraries/foFAfjuDaPy/0/docs/index.html

It uses javascript and math to create the honeycomb for you :science: Then you can generate a grid for the size you're looking for and turn it into a hole. Pretty quick and painless!

Rexxed posted:

BMan posted:

TBH you're probably better off printing with less infill and/or layers. Putting small holes in like that can even backfire because you get a bunch of perimeters where there used to be infill.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I've never understood the "speed holes" mentality. The wall would have to be pretty thin and the hole would have to be very large to save any time or weight, unless you're doing something weird. Like, "8 top/bottom layers and 1 vertical wall" or something.

Topology optimization is neat as hell though

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Tinkercad has some pretty inventive features. The honeycomb grid thing is neat, their Lego-ification is cool as well.

I always missed the intuitive way their Align tool worked, too.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mister Sinewave posted:

Lego-ification

You mean "shell"ing?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I believe it's actually called brick mode.

It'll render your model in (Lego) bricks, it's pretty neat.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Spray painting an object takes seconds, airbrushing takes similar amounts of time

Quoting for posterity.

ClassH posted:

The Pallette Mosaic 2 actually looks really good. I watched the video on tested and 3d printing nerd a week or two back and looks like a huge improvement on the first generation.

Definately. But compare it to the Prusa MMU and you can see why they’ve had to drop the price so much. The ‘goal’ of a voxel painting tool to make solid STLs multicolour and and a purge tower free multi-colour print are still a ways off. Once that’s solved I expect it to be more attractive.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 7, 2018

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Quoting for posterity.

So? At the current hobbyist level, you will never have a multicolor FDM print that looks half as good as even a cursory painted/airbrushed print.

quote:

Definately. But compare it to the Prusa MMU and you can see why they’ve had to drop the price so much. The ‘goal’ of a voxel painting tool to make solid STLs multicolour and and a purge tower free multi-colour print are still a ways off. Once that’s solved I expect it to be more attractive.

It is solved at the not-hobbyist level (high end SLS printers with multicolor ink systems that color the material as it is printed), the problem is copying the hardware/software setup to do it at a low enough price point for hobbyists.

Somebody was attempting to adapt full-color STL files for FDM slicing, but that project either died in 2014 for lack of funding or was successfully C&D-ed by whatever company held the licensing for it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What’s even the argument going on here? That multimaterial/multicolor printing is dumb because paint exists? I haven’t been keeping track.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Show me an SLS printer that prints in colour and I'll stop thinking your a massive contrarian idiot.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
But don’t you understand multi-colour miniature scale airbrushing only takes seconds?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Megabound posted:

Show me an SLS printer that prints in colour and I'll stop thinking your a massive contrarian idiot.

Google HP JetFusion for just one of them, full color STL file formats and printers that support printing them have been around at the industrial level for decades.

Stratasys Polyjets (J750 is the current model, IIRC), 3DSystems Projet CJP printers, etc.

I know everybody likes to pretend that the reprap movement has done things that the actual industrial 3d printing industry couldn't do, but thats just hobbyist marketing bullshit. Kind of like when Glowforge does their poo poo about pretending their laser is somehow a unique or new design.

The only barrier to people having full-color 3d printing at the hobbyist level is that the 3d printers that can actually do it use super-expensive technology to do it.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 8, 2018

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Sagebrush posted:

yep i have noticed this 100% among my students too

the grad students, mature students, veterans, etc -- people who've worked in the real world for a while, usually in jobs where they had to build things -- are all blown away that you can just push print and leave and pick up the part later, no painstaking manual labor with a mill and lathe and files and saws and such. i can do something else in the meantime and then just a little bit of sanding and it's good to go! amazing!

the straight-from-high-school undergrads, some of whom have apparently never even touched a screwdriver, apparently think that a 3d printer works like a star trek replicator because they go "twelve HOURS? uugghghhh that's so looooonggggg my class is in 45 minutes now what am i going to doooooo"

same deal with 3d rendering. i catch the kids sometimes bragging about a big rendering they did that took TWO HOURS omggggggg, and i'm like bitch when i was in school it was mind-blowing that you could start a render and pick up the 800x600 file 14 hours later instead of spending that time drawing it yourself with markers and pencils (and you'd still often opt to do it by hand because at least then if the computer crashed you'd still have something to hand in)

angry about the kids

As a Vet in school, can confirm.

There is as reason I am thankful for technology.That reason is that it doesn't make me do things the hard way anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
To add on to this rapid production chat.

I got a request from a family member to make them a bird figure for the house. I got the text at around 8 in the morning.

Downloaded the STL
hosed with some slicer settings
Pressed print.

Went and saw a movie with Miss Jestery (The Meg, good flick weirdly Chinese and preachy :shrug:)

Came home and nicked off the stringing with an exacting knife and sanded it.

Stained and sanded it this morning and was able to varnish and finish it in under 48 hours

Like, even as an enabling technology, it speeds the process up so much.

How else could I make that as good as it is with any other method, at all, let alone in under 48 hours (probably closer to 10 hours of work including print time)