Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, I definitely don't like the +25% autonomy for revoking an estate from a province. It makes giving provinces to estates kind of pointless.

I think on a global level it's worth having 25% autonomy permanently in some provinces in exchange for like 20% more tax and manpower and being able to squeeze out free monarch points and cheaper advisors from time to time. I like that you no longer have this wave of estate provinces slowly moving away from your best core provinces.

Unrelated, it's weird that the northern Hindu Indian states can only get cheap admin advisors from estates, and also all Hindu Indians only have access to 4 different estates compared to muslims getting 5. I guess someone thinks that being able to change personal god mid reign is super powerful. Though due to some of the tweaks to estates it feels like maybe having extra estates isn't necessarily a good thing now.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I changed the localisation for the cleanliness, and also, you can reorganize the effects in the event itself to make it easier to read.

I kind of like the way it looks, wish we could go all the way easily though.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Shah Rukh died in 1448, probably not timuriding hard enough :v: how long does the guy live usually? 1454 seems so far away, and I am scared of all my vassals with their huge liberty desire..

If you declare on Ajam 11th dec and take the maximum of your cores back at 99% war-score before Shah Rukh dies, you'll be big enough that Transoxiana will be the only vassal with a liberty desire over 50% when he dies.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

I changed the localisation for the cleanliness, and also, you can reorganize the effects in the event itself to make it easier to read.

I kind of like the way it looks, wish we could go all the way easily though.

Nice! That is so much more readable, or glancable if you will. What is this mod of yours?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jean Pony posted:

Nice! That is so much more readable, or glancable if you will. What is this mod of yours?

Hah, the mod itself is a TC; this was booting dharma up and doing some quick event/loc modification. Whole new world, new nations, new planet, etc. People wanted two things in this thread since time immemorial, a fantasy-ish EUIV, and some consolidation of mechanics. So I decided to shoot for the moon and do it :v:

That said, things like this and your wonderful quote are in for fun times.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Hah, the mod itself is a TC; this was booting dharma up and doing some quick event/loc modification. Whole new world, new nations, new planet, etc. People wanted two things in this thread since time immemorial, a fantasy-ish EUIV, and some consolidation of mechanics. So I decided to shoot for the moon and do it :v:

That said, things like this and your wonderful quote are in for fun times.

Cool :) Please post a screen shot when it's done, I laughed out loud at AnoHito's suggestion!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

OK I was kind of down on the balance between Hindus and Muslims re: estates, until I realised how loving good the Vaishyas estate is. This is the Hindu-only replacement for Merchants.

Firstly, instead of giving a 50% trade power provincial boost they give a 20% boost to trade value. This is absolutely huge because trade value is the figure which is used to calculate both production income and the amount of value which each province adds to the local trade node. This is similar to a goods produced bonus, only potentially stronger, because it is multiplicative on top of the existing goods produced amount; so it's pumped up even further in provinces with high production, or with manufactories. Also Vaishyas have more lenient province requirements; you can hand a wider variety of provinces over to them (requires 7 development, or at least 5 local trade power). And the global bonuses from the estate scale up to 33% production efficiency and 10% advisor cost reduction which are pretty solid economy boosts, though the trade efficiency bonus from the merchants is also very good.

Then you think well I'm going to miss the development cost reduction bonus from merchants. But at high loyalty you get a 20% local development cost reduction bonus from the Vaishyas, so if you want to develop provinces you just need to give the individual provinces in question to the right estate. This beats the poo poo out of the Merchants' 10% bonus (except for developing capitals, for obvious reasons)

And the fact that the Brahmin estate is kind of poo poo (replacement clergy that you can only use in Hindu provinces?) doesn't matter too much since you don't really need to use it for much other than getting your 20% tax bonus and maybe squeezing out some admin points occasionally.

The differences between the two different 'martial' estates is quite interesting as well. The Rajputs give you stronger unique troops (which can be boosted up even further if you want) and easy access to better generals, while the Marathas give cheap commandants and extra manpower. I think the rajputs are probably overall stronger but with the estate interaction Marathas can give a total of +58% local manpower boost which is pretty nice.

E:

My pick for 'sleeper interesting-but-difficult start' is Mysore:

Stronger than your garbage neighbours but once you've eaten a few minors you're still way outclassed by Vijayanagar

Good-to-great NIs

Has access to the pretty awesome south Indian government reforms

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 6, 2018

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Well now that the DLC is out, I want to try out the Mughals.

How do I Mughals?

Afghanistan. Ally Transoxonia and get Mamluks to support your independence. Take your independence + Cores. Fight whoever wins the Delhi war for the 2 provinces you need and form Mughals in like 1450.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Firebatgyro posted:

Afghanistan. Ally Transoxonia and get Mamluks to support your independence. Take your independence + Cores. Fight whoever wins the Delhi war for the 2 provinces you need and form Mughals in like 1450.

You make it sound so easy. In my current game, Multan blocked Afghanistan off from India within like a year of the game start and allied with Jaunpur. And Delhi won their war and are swole as gently caress.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The pro strat to forming Mughals is actually start as Genoa and conquer your way through to India and culture switch along the way

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
how can you scrubs have forgotten the absolute best way to form the minghals

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is...is there really a country in southern Tibet called "U"?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ü-tsang?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ü. Sometimes written as “dbus”, but pronounced more like “wü” (English value for w, but German value for ü).

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You make it sound so easy. In my current game, Multan blocked Afghanistan off from India within like a year of the game start and allied with Jaunpur. And Delhi won their war and are swole as gently caress.

The first couple of wars in India you have an insanely good strategic position because to get to any of your territory they have to go through the +2 fort in Roh.

This conquer all of India by 1550 achieve is looking questionable though. I'm at ~60/250 in 1484. I know things are going to speed up toward the end when I have to just yolo everything but holy poo poo there are a lot of provinces in India now.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

RabidWeasel posted:

I tried their start and got murdered 1 year in. Even with +2 diplo rep you get no allies.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
anyone who has played into the late 1500s/early 1600s in the new version: does it seem to chug a bit for you?

it is chugging for me, and my PC is far from a bad one

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Welp, turns out they finally fixed the exploit where you could state a territory, raise autonomy, and unstate it for 'free' unrest reduction. When you unstate it, the unrest reduction goes away.

Also am I crazy or did the dhimmi use to nullify the negative effects of a heathen province when assigned to that province? I swear you could use the dhimmi to get rid of the negative religious unity contributed by a province, but it doesn't seem like you can anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 7, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Welp, turns out they finally fixed the exploit where you could state a territory, raise autonomy, and unstate it for 'free' unrest reduction. When you unstate it, the unrest reduction goes away.

Yeah I noticed that one in the patch notes. They really want you to state your provinces now.

Blorange posted:

I tried their start and got murdered 1 year in. Even with +2 diplo rep you get no allies.

I'm gonna do some restarts to see if Vijayanagar ever starts as non-hostile. I did a couple of fast starts with other states in India to play around with some of the new mechanics a bit and Vij didn't attack Mysore in any of those but when I actually tried a serious playthrough I had this same issue.

E:

3rd restart had them start out as neutral and willing to make a royal marriage which should hopefully keep them off your back for a while, maybe I got lucky but it does look like this should be possible

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 7, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

RabidWeasel posted:

OK I was kind of down on the balance between Hindus and Muslims re: estates, until I realised how loving good the Vaishyas estate is. This is the Hindu-only replacement for Merchants.

Firstly, instead of giving a 50% trade power provincial boost they give a 20% boost to trade value. This is absolutely huge because trade value is the figure which is used to calculate both production income and the amount of value which each province adds to the local trade node. This is similar to a goods produced bonus, only potentially stronger, because it is multiplicative on top of the existing goods produced amount; so it's pumped up even further in provinces with high production, or with manufactories. Also Vaishyas have more lenient province requirements; you can hand a wider variety of provinces over to them (requires 7 development, or at least 5 local trade power). And the global bonuses from the estate scale up to 33% production efficiency and 10% advisor cost reduction which are pretty solid economy boosts, though the trade efficiency bonus from the merchants is also very good.

Then you think well I'm going to miss the development cost reduction bonus from merchants. But at high loyalty you get a 20% local development cost reduction bonus from the Vaishyas, so if you want to develop provinces you just need to give the individual provinces in question to the right estate. This beats the poo poo out of the Merchants' 10% bonus (except for developing capitals, for obvious reasons)

And the fact that the Brahmin estate is kind of poo poo (replacement clergy that you can only use in Hindu provinces?) doesn't matter too much since you don't really need to use it for much other than getting your 20% tax bonus and maybe squeezing out some admin points occasionally.

The differences between the two different 'martial' estates is quite interesting as well. The Rajputs give you stronger unique troops (which can be boosted up even further if you want) and easy access to better generals, while the Marathas give cheap commandants and extra manpower. I think the rajputs are probably overall stronger but with the estate interaction Marathas can give a total of +58% local manpower boost which is pretty nice.

E:

Stronger than your garbage neighbours but once you've eaten a few minors you're still way outclassed by Vijayanagar

Good-to-great NIs

Has access to the pretty awesome south Indian government reforms

Thanks I spent a lot of hours on getting things interesting with the estates. Brahmin do though act very differently if you are Muslim. There's also a lot of good reforms/events that interact with the various estates. Especially if you are muslim, you will be pitted against "Do I favor my Rajputs or the Amirs?"
You should also have a look at the Jain, while the Vaishyas focus on the trade, the Jain let's you boost your economy a ton but at the loss of a lot of manpower.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also am I crazy or did the dhimmi use to nullify the negative effects of a heathen province when assigned to that province? I swear you could use the dhimmi to get rid of the negative religious unity contributed by a province, but it doesn't seem like you can anymore.

Not intentional
Looks like a bug, we'll fix that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I decided to give the Afghan start a shot and it seems like you'd have to get really lucky to form Mughals within the first ten years. I managed it in like 1485. Would've done it a few years earlier but an ally dragged me into a dumb war. I also could've gotten it done like 15 years sooner if I wanted to eat like 110 AE all at once and was okay pissing off Jaunpur whom I promised land to. Ultimately I got cockblocked by another country getting between me and Delhi, and it took me a little while to get the power and allies for taking them down.

You really don't need to form Mughals all that quickly anyway unless you're going for the True Heir of Timor achievement, which you need all the speed you can get for. There's often a race for Delhi, but you have a little bit of time, usually. Enough time to take advantage of a couple Afghan missions first and to snag any cores you didn't get in the independence war. And also keep in mind that forming the Mughals gets rid of separatism for... some but not all of your provinces? I dunno if it's just the ones in your new culture group or what. But waiting to form the mughals until you can take good advantage of that isn't a bad idea.

Anyway, Afghanistan is a fun start. The initial independence war is easy if you get support from Mamluks and/or Ajam, and then you have a super obvious expansion path that is in my sweet spot for challenge.

Groogy posted:

Not intentional
Looks like a bug, we'll fix that.

Oh, okay. I thought it might have been because there's not a lot of point in the dhimmi otherwise, but I wasn't sure since so much else about estates have changed. I gave Lahore to the dhimmi when it was 15% of my total development and was confused when all that negative religious unity stuck around and they were still revolting.

edit: One thing I've been noticing lately, not just in this update but the previous one too (and maybe even further back) is that the AI seems a lot less gung-ho about initiating battles, even ones where they have the advantage. They'll just sit around and watch the enemy siege their provinces down instead of taking advantage of their larger numbers and the besieging army's terrain penalty. They usually wait until they have heavily overwhelming numbers... and in some cases, screw up the timing of their units' arrival and still lose. At least, that's what happened to Jaunpur multiple times when helping me take down Delhi. I was really frustrated with them until Delhi forced a separate peace on them which actually rocketed up the war score and allowed me to get exactly what I was planning for without giving Jaunpur anything. So I guess all's well that ends well. :v:

They'll also just ignore enemy armies rampaging in their borders that would be piss easy to take out and instead opt to siege down the enemy forts instead. They'll ignore their advantage in numbers and tech, and will reduce wars down into siege races where things are much more even. I dunno, maybe they've always been like this, but I seem to remember them being less passive in the past. In three of my major wars today, the only big battles in the first couple of years were ones I initiated.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 7, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Am I missing something, or does this decision do literally nothing?

Hinduism has no heresies as far as I can tell. Does the decision persist if I convert or something?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Might be that it has't updated the modifiers, run for a month and check again?
But yeah that decision is super old from when the Hindu was eastern I think Sikhs are the only heretics now I think?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ran it for longer, nothing has changed. I don't see Sikhism mentioned at all as either heretic or heathen, I guess it doesn't show up until it exists in the game.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Nope it won't show up until then

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Are there any changes to Sikh in this patch? I can’t recall it getting mentioned in the dev diaries

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There have been no changes to any of the religion mechanics afaik.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Groogy posted:

Thanks I spent a lot of hours on getting things interesting with the estates. Brahmin do though act very differently if you are Muslim. There's also a lot of good reforms/events that interact with the various estates. Especially if you are muslim, you will be pitted against "Do I favor my Rajputs or the Amirs?"
You should also have a look at the Jain, while the Vaishyas focus on the trade, the Jain let's you boost your economy a ton but at the loss of a lot of manpower.

I think I can see why you've done it but I'm still not happy that Hindus get stiffed a bit on cheaper advisors. If you have Rajputs instead of Marathas then you can only get admin advisors, since you don't have an equivalent to the regular nobility giving diplomats. Would be really nice if Jains gave access to some kind of diplo type advisor (trader?) but only for Hindus.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey why is recovering manpower from dismissing units still a thing you have to unlock via professionalism? Are you just executing all your dudes when you delete them for no reason?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is Dharma worth it if you don't play much in India?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey why is recovering manpower from dismissing units still a thing you have to unlock via professionalism? Are you just executing all your dudes when you delete them for no reason?

I figure with a non-professional army they just all go home to their farms while with professionals they're in the barracks chilling.

But yeah kinda depends on how you view what "manpower" represents.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Fister Roboto posted:

probably hard to convince them to re-enlist

e: but, yeah, this is more a quirk from the game modelling standing armies waaay before they became a thing

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Because they dont want to make EU5 yet.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pylons posted:

Is Dharma worth it if you don't play much in India?

No, unless you really like the fact that the AI will imperialism the poo poo out of everyone by purchasing their provinces

E:

In case anyone else got confused about how the Rajput estate works re: troops, the "maximum of 10" in the tooltip just means that 10 is the most that you can spawn in a single estate interaction. You can still have up to total-number-of-Rajput-provinces worth of Rajput units at once.

This is interesting because it makes Rajputs very well suited to controlling lovely 1/1/1 provinces - give them 20 garbage provinces and you don't really give a poo poo about the autonomy cap (and you still get manpower and FL) and in exchange you can have a sizable chunk of your army with extra discipline and at the press of a button even more extra discipline.

Also you can spawn 10 free units - 0 manpower or gold cost though reinforcing works like usual - every 5 years which is pretty amazing in the early game and never gets old.

I think this is the first "get extra troops instantly" interaction with absolutely no cost beyond actually using the estate itself, and in a pinch those troops are +10% discipline +10% fire damage +50% drill speed :getin:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 7, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Arg, I own all of South India as Vijayanagar, and I've fabricated a claim on the Maldives. Why can't I press it?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Arg, I own all of South India as Vijayanagar, and I've fabricated a claim on the Maldives. Why can't I press it?
The only thing that pops to my head is Regency Council but its been months since I last played so I'm not sure if I am missing anything. Can you post a screenshot of the diplo interface?

I doubt its related but I noticed last night that the Maldives are considered part of the East Indies now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wish Mughals had some kind of Burgher estate. You lose the old one and don't get an Indian replacement. No dhimmi either.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Wish Mughals had some kind of Burgher estate. You lose the old one and don't get an Indian replacement. No dhimmi either.

Jains are supposed to be the somewhat-uninspiring replacement for Muslim Burghers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

While I'm complaining about things, can we have so that if you're a war leader you can always reassign occupation of enemy provinces? It's really annoying to call in an ally with favors and then have them grab a bunch of provinces that they're never going to take. Yes I know I can tag the provinces before the war, but being able to reassign and then deal with the diplomatic fallout if you don't give an ally enough territory seems like a much better system.