Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

When I painted up a Marine with a Salamander skin tone I gave him a white beard for contrast. But I imagine almost anything goes but the dark grey skin is going to make some stuff pop like crazy.

richyp posted:

Paint them like flames, burning beard like a dark iron dwarf.

Hm... I like both of these. I've got a Watch Sergeant that has a beard and I'm considering popping his right arm off (bc xenophase blades are sort of a waste on a Sarge) and making him a Salamander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jng2058 posted:

The Castellan doesn't really need to move very much, which negates the value of the Raven Advance. It's essential if you end up picking up a Valiant to go with your Castellan, but the Castellan on its own can do just fine with its base 10" movement.

You don't take House Raven with a Castellan for the ability. You take it for the stratagem that let's you reroll every one in the shooting phase.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

richyp posted:

Paint them like flames, burning beard like a dark iron dwarf.

Welp, I know what I want to do at some point then.

I've got plenty of Baby Boi Marines to paint anyway so I guess another one is going to be a Salamander.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You don't take House Raven with a Castellan for the ability. You take it for the stratagem that let's you reroll every one in the shooting phase.

Order of Companions is great, no doubt. But if he isn't running a Guard CP farm, then at 2 CP a pop it's pretty expensive compared to House Vulker's Saturation Bombardment at 1 CP per usage. And being able to get the Endless Fury's ability on a gun with Cawl's Wrath's stats is nothing to be sneezed at. Especially since he only has a Dominus class and a couple of Armigers, which means it'll cost him a usurious 3 CP to Rotate Ion Shields on the only model that really matters. (Take Ion Bulwark for your Castellan, by the way. You'll need it.) He's going to be hurting for CP all game long and I'd argue that two Saturation Bombardments on a Castellan are going to be more valuable overall then one Order of Companions.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 6, 2018

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Cooked Auto posted:

Welp, I know what I want to do at some point then.

I've got plenty of Baby Boi Marines to paint anyway so I guess another one is going to be a Salamander.

An OSL glow around the upper part of the armour would look pretty cool too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jng2058 posted:

Order of Companions is great, no doubt. But if he isn't running a Guard CP farm, then at 2 CP a pop it's pretty expensive compared to House Vulker's Saturation Bombardment at 1 CP per usage. And being able to get the Endless Fury's ability on a gun with Cawl's Wrath's stats is nothing to be sneezed at. Especially since he only has a Dominus class and a couple of Armigers, which means it'll cost him a usurious 3 CP to Rotate Ion Shields on the only model that really matters. (Take Ion Bulwark for your Castellan, by the way. You'll need it.) He's going to be hurting for CP all game long and I'd argue that two Saturation Bombardments on a Castellan are going to be more valuable overall then one Order of Companions.

That's fair. An extra 15% of hits is definitely great and well worth the 1CP, and the Vulker ability is also pretty good and dovetails nicely with the stratagem (assuming your opponent doesn't screen things appropriately). That said in most competitive lists I don't think a Dominus is going to last long enough to get two rounds of shooting off. Knights are a prevalent threat in most games and most lists are going to have a way to deal with a centerpiece threat like that in one turn.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

richyp posted:

An OSL glow around the upper part of the armour would look pretty cool too.

Probably, but that feels way out of my league to pull off decently.

But I guess I'll be painting more Blood Ravens after I'm done touching up some Scions.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I like how every time I said I was running house Hawkshroud at NOVA people rolled their eyes like I was picking the obvious gimme choice but a lot of the other houses sound way more powerful to me. Raven is the one folks really complain about, and the Terryn Lancer I faced was horrifying.

If anyone wants to read about the NOVA Narrative, Joe Kopena, the event organizer, wrote a blog post about it here, with a few links to galleries therein:
http://www.rocketshipgames.com/blogs/tjkopena/2018/09/2018-nova-40k-narrative/
spot Dan's cool mans and my dumb bald spot

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hawkshroud was rapidly agreed to be the obvious strongest house on release and most people haven't caught on to Raven life yet despite it being the default choice at the top tier. As ever, most people are two steps behind the meta.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I play Taranis fight me

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I like Krast because I like smashing things :shrug:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

I like how every time I said I was running house Hawkshroud at NOVA people rolled their eyes like I was picking the obvious gimme choice but a lot of the other houses sound way more powerful to me. Raven is the one folks really complain about, and the Terryn Lancer I faced was horrifying.

If anyone wants to read about the NOVA Narrative, Joe Kopena, the event organizer, wrote a blog post about it here, with a few links to galleries therein:

I think it’s great that the first pic has my Darmok & Jalad tour shirt

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I play Taranis fight me

Taranis are objectively the coolest knights.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

I like how every pic of me is blurred as if I was constantly in motion.

Joe was a loving rockstar.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
My favorite house (Cadmus) is the worst but I don't care.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LightReaper posted:

Ohhh another new army concept! How thrilling.

Let us know when you've finished your first squad, failing that when you've bought and assembled your first model, failing THAT when you've picked an army.

Ayn Marx posted:

gently caress off retard

PantsOptional posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

this thread is lovely

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Tanaris is absolutely the coolest house. Dumbies are gonna be dumb.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

loving. Monsters.

Boycot gw.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I was playing Raven when everyone else was doing Hawksmoor, and kept playing Raven when everyone was doing three Gallant Terryn charge lists. Y'all came to ME. :colbert:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did a thing that looks at the efficiency of Troop units against all the other troop units.

It's a spreadsheet.

Be amazed.

I'm surprised at how good this makes the admech vanguard look. I guess a cheapish model, with 3 shots, good bs and a little extra damage quite makes up for the low str - I feel they're pretty underwhelming compared to most other troops in practice though. While it may end up looking good for efficiency purposes, I'm not sure the 'medium cost, medium damage, medium defence' is a good place to be in practice.

For the cool matrix, I'm not sure, but I still kinda think it makes sense to do an 'defensive average' on the columns, because reading table that way gives a sorta number on what the models are the least effective against, or rather, which units will take the least damage per point cost of the attacker. For the shooting it's a little weird that the 'melee only' units adds a zero to the average, but since the number is only relative to the other averages, it should be fine. It's obviously a little wonky because of the different damage ranges and ap differences and so, has different impact on different models with wounds and so on. It basically just ends up being how resilient is on average.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What the hell is the CP farm any ways?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Luminaflare posted:

Barebones Guard Battalion or (better) Brigade.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
And then you add on the "whenever anyone spends CP roll a dice, on 5+ you gain a CP."

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 7, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Luminaflare posted:

180 guard battalion with 3 guard squads and 2 commanders with Kurov's Aquila and the CP regen warlord trait.

It provides way more than 5 CP because Kurov's Aquila is broken.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, never forget the Guard Warlord trait. It is probably the most bullshit part of the entire thing. Even without the relics it can make pure Guard never run out of CP.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is that really broken in pure guard though? I'm extremely new to them but their strategems seem very situational.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
You don't use those points on your guard...

You spend them on your real army.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

moths posted:

Is that really broken in pure guard though? I'm extremely new to them but their strategems seem very situational.

Not necessarily! Which is why GW is in a bit of a bind. The guard codex is not itself broken; nor is the Blood Angels Codex. Knights seem to need some adjustment all by themselves. But put the three together, and there's a potent problem: guard warlord trait+Kurov's + Blood Angel's Veritas Vitae means absolutely stupid amounts of CP regen for a single army. And those Knight Stratagems (BA too) seem to be balanced around the idea of limited CP.

If they try to fix that by nerfing guard and blood angels, they might well break those armies as stand alone armies in the process.

Hence the popular (around here) opinion that an army should be allowed to field detachments from multiple codexes, but should only get access to a single codex's warlord trait, stratagems and wargear.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
An across the board reevaluation of CP regen and balance might do a lot but I don't know enough to know if that would make it all Eldar All the Time or something by dumpstering DE and Soup.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moths posted:

Guard basically don't run out of command points, but it's probably not broken.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’m buying a bunch of genestealer cult from the tooth/claw and kill team boxes while they’re cheap, and just sticking them in a closet until the codex comes out. Going by previous codexes, there will probably be some points adjustments and some nice stratagems, but big changes to play style or weapons probably won’t happen. Are there any real stinkers I should avoid or is everything pretty decent aside from being Index and currently hobbled?

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Apologies in advance if this is a really dumb question. I haven't played 40k in at least 10 years and I want to get back into it as Dark Eldar.

I was trying to design a patrol to purchase the models and designing an army is a bit bewildering. I wanted to try to make an all flying patrol to start with though. I'm not sure if im understanding the rule that every other choice can be a transport. Assuming it means every two choices gives me a dedicated transport then I think this would be a valid all flying list.

Archon in a venom
10 Kabalite Warriors in a Raider
2 Ravagers

So, is this a valid list? And then secondly, does this seem like an effective starter army? I'd be trying to put as many dark lances and pistols in as possible and dance around enemies. That's the concept anyway.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Prince Reggie K posted:

Apologies in advance if this is a really dumb question. I haven't played 40k in at least 10 years and I want to get back into it as Dark Eldar.

I was trying to design a patrol to purchase the models and designing an army is a bit bewildering. I wanted to try to make an all flying patrol to start with though. I'm not sure if im understanding the rule that every other choice can be a transport. Assuming it means every two choices gives me a dedicated transport then I think this would be a valid all flying list.

Archon in a venom
10 Kabalite Warriors in a Raider
2 Ravagers

So, is this a valid list? And then secondly, does this seem like an effective starter army? I'd be trying to put as many dark lances and pistols in as possible and dance around enemies. That's the concept anyway.

Every single unit you take gives you the option to take a Dedicated Transport for it. Even tanks. "Valid" is really easy in 8th.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
That was fast! So, not that I'd do this... but to make sure, I could just do the archon in a venom and the warriors in a raider?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Prince Reggie K posted:

That was fast! So, not that I'd do this... but to make sure, I could just do the archon in a venom and the warriors in a raider?

Yeah, that'd be a Patrol detachment. 1 HQ, 1 Troop, that's all you need.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

spacegoat posted:

I played Orks with GSC last night and it was utterly unfun. Orks don't care about the BS modifiers after the first so all the tough positioning, range, and movement decisions don't apply to them. 7 points gets you a boy with a big shoota who can do pretty much whatever he wants putting out 3 S5 shots, and he can still kick the poo poo out of you in assault. In a game where S/T 4+ feels king, and a GEQ army like GSC can be easily outnumbered by that, it feels broken.

Of course I'm Bad At Games and I'll keep playing it, but I don't really have an answer to it right now. At least not with that army.

It's less that Orks are particularly busted (though the Index was an enormous improvement over their 7th ed drivel) and more that GSC Index is underwhelming. There's no reason to use Hybrid Metamorphs, especially with how useless their weapon options are, when Tyranid Genestealers cost about the same and Purestrains cost just a point or two more. GSC Index makes things rough, but I think the codex will have us swinging back.

Badablack posted:

I’m buying a bunch of genestealer cult from the tooth/claw and kill team boxes while they’re cheap, and just sticking them in a closet until the codex comes out. Going by previous codexes, there will probably be some points adjustments and some nice stratagems, but big changes to play style or weapons probably won’t happen. Are there any real stinkers I should avoid or is everything pretty decent aside from being Index and currently hobbled?

Hybrid Metamorphs, as stated above, are sort of a trap; Tooth & Claw did not change their costs or profiles at all. For Acolytes, the Rock Cutters aren't wonderful for their points, but Heavy Rock Saws and Heavy Rock Drills own bones, the latter making GBS threads Mortal Wounds everywhere on the target.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 7, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Prince Reggie K posted:

Yes. Despite the name 'dedicated transports' aren't dedicated to anything. In your example list you could feasibly have 4 transports, because you have 4 other unit choices.

Don't put single characters in vehicles though unless you want them to randomly die a lot.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Corrode posted:

Yes. Despite the name 'dedicated transports' aren't dedicated to anything. In your example list you could feasibly have 4 transports, because you have 4 other unit choices.

Don't put single characters in vehicles though unless you want them to randomly die a lot.

To clarify: When a vehicle with passengers is destroyed, you roll a number of dice equal to the number of transported models. For each '1' you roll, you have to choose a model to be slain, regardless of how many wounds that model had remaining. So if your Archon is sharing a ride with five Warriors, and a couple of 1s are rolled, no problem, you kill a couple of Splinter Rifle Warriors. If, on the other hand, your Archon's riding alone and his ride crashes and burns and you roll a 1 then sorry, your Archon snapped his neck and you just lost your HQ.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just found out that the newer Castellan models are based on an old one

is there a source for old GW models? I'd like to see these old designs from the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Corrode posted:

Yeah better split might be to do 5 Warriors and Archon in the Raider, and then 5 Warriors in the Venom. And make 1 of your Warriors in each unit wield a Blaster or similar, and the other 4 act as ablative wounds for them if they ever get knocked out of the transport.