Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

The way that the SCOTUS is basically a panel of dictators is probably bad design.

Yeah I know that they basically invented that power for themselves immediately but it's not like anyone stopped them.

At the same time there have been many instances outside of andrew jackson where congress and the president just ignored the supreme court.

For example, the supreme court ruled that the sheppard-towner act was unconstitutional but congress and the president continued to give state and local governments grants covering maternal and neonatal health in the 1920s until the act expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

At the same time there have been many instances outside of andrew jackson where congress and the president just ignored the supreme court.

For example, the supreme court ruled that the sheppard-towner act was unconstitutional but congress and the president continued to give state and local governments grants covering maternal and neonatal health in the 1920s until the act expired.

Yeah the SCOTUS only has as much power as people choose to give it really. If you totally ignore them, frankly what are they actually going to do about it if you are in a situation where you can't be impeached (like if your party controls one of the houses of Congress)?

In practice ignoring that branch is probably Really Bad but the SCOTUS has already gone way out of its bounds with respect to a lot of stuff (Bush v Gore, destroying the VRA, Scalia and the 2nd Amendment, etc) so it's not like they haven't played their own part in the breakdown of our government.

I'm trying to imagine the political shitstorm of a Leftist President passing MFA with a Democratic Congress and the Republican SCOTUS making up some bullshit excuse for why it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL ("medical insurance wasn't around in 1775 so the government can't give it, oops we just made medicare illegal") and then the President telling them to pound sand.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 5, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/alexanderbolton/status/1037342454419218434

i have never hated the dems more than I do now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Listen you have to vote for them no matter what because they are the resistance of the kabuki theater that is our government.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
lol, her opponent in november is also a democrat who's challenging her from the left.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Instant Sunrise posted:

lol, her opponent in november is also a democrat who's challenging her from the left.

And she has an eight-figure war chest for re-election. November is gonna be ugly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bastard Tetris posted:

And she has an eight-figure war chest for re-election. November is gonna be ugly.

Let's hope most of it gets pissed away on grift and TV ads.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Let's hope most of it gets pissed away on grift and TV ads.

I mean, if 2016 taught us anything, it’s that establishment Dems are fantastic at this.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I'm can't fathom what kind of a power-mad hateful dickhead you have to be to keep being a Senator, or really hold any public office, well into your loving 80s when it's like, c'mon gently caress off and go play with your grandkids and pass the torch. About the only person I can give a pass on that is Notorious RBG, because she apparently wants to retire but knows the stakes (not sure about this though, she was due to bow out ten years ago and could have if she felt like it).

Anyway what I'm trying to say with this post is old people are the loving worst in general, but x1000 when they're politicians.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bastard Tetris posted:

Where from?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Supposing this got passed, would amazon get anywhere by calling it a bill of attainder because of the title?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ron Jeremy posted:

Supposing this got passed, would amazon get anywhere by calling it a bill of attainder because of the title?

I mean, I imagine not if our legal system was coherent and staffed by non-assholes but unfortunately

Edit: it won’t pass tho lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's also not a particularly good bill, it's just grandstanding. Which is fine, I'm not criticizing that.

Prefer a "Get Under It Loser, Labor's Owed Tons of Income Now, Eh?" (G.U.I.L.L.O.T.I.N.E) act

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMC78Xsr7wQ

https://www.apbspeakers.com/speaker/palin-brazile-bridging-the-political-divide/

It's going to take Sarah Palin and Donna Brazile to finally find unity between the two parties. This will be wonderful if it actually ever happens

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

steinrokkan posted:

Where from?

Several cycles of piss-easy wins over pushover Republican opponents. You can roll over your campaign money from cycle to cycle, so she's just let her donations accrue over the many, many years. This is her first time running under the new system, I think, which makes her have a non-zero risk of losing her seat.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Prefer a "Get Under It Loser, Labor's Owed Tons of Income Now, Eh?" (G.U.I.L.L.O.T.I.N.E) act
:wow:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Villanous Industralists Leave, Expropriate Needless Income Now (V. I. L. E. N. I. N.) act

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/kerriharrisde/status/1037777704496459776?s=21

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

It's going to take Sarah Palin and Donna Brazile to finally find unity between the two parties. This will be wonderful if it actually ever happens

I hope they talk about how Donna Brazile totally doesn't read comics and that super delegates are an oppressed minority.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Burning down my house to own the libs:

http://www.usatoday-go.com/2018/09/...-kaepernick-ad/

Edit: fake news

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 6, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Let's go Kerri! *clap clap clapclapclap*

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Let's go Kerri! *clap clap clapclapclap*

You rang?

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Has anyone ever asked one of the politicians who run on "A Green New Deal" what exactly that means and not gotten a vomit of buzzwords? Anything besides an absolute immediate freeze on all new fossil fuel drilling, prospecting, licensing, etc. is pissing in the wind.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Graphic posted:

Has anyone ever asked one of the politicians who run on "A Green New Deal" what exactly that means and not gotten a vomit of buzzwords? Anything besides an absolute immediate freeze on all new fossil fuel drilling, prospecting, licensing, etc. is pissing in the wind.

Fossil fuel drilling really isn't the issue. The issue is the entire economy is centered around the use of carbon emitting processes from electricity, to transport, to agriculture. Restructuring the electricity grid, the transportation infrastructure, even the way we raise cows will require massive amounts of new infrastructure. That's the opportunity for a green new deal, we're going to have to do endless work from now on to fight climate change, lets use this as a boon rather than a burden and give people jobs and invest in our communities.

We're going to choose a million times between putting up a smaller sea wall to protect the rich or putting more people to work and building a seawall to save the whole community. One can be pessimistic about which we will choose, but it is an obvious opportunity to push for since we can.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

extremely real and not fake site usatoday-go.com, lol

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Trabisnikof posted:

Fossil fuel drilling really isn't the issue. The issue is the entire economy is centered around the use of carbon emitting processes from electricity, to transport, to agriculture. Restructuring the electricity grid, the transportation infrastructure, even the way we raise cows will require massive amounts of new infrastructure.

I'm aware of this. What I was referring to is how "nothing new" is the absolute baseline starting point for trying to dodge the bullet that has been established by climate experts, and we can't even do that as part of "Green New Deal." What I've seen so far, it amounts to nothing more than having more solar pannels and higher fuel economy standards on our gigantic SUVs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Graphic posted:

I'm aware of this. What I was referring to is how "nothing new" is the absolute baseline starting point for trying to dodge the bullet that has been established by climate experts, and we can't even do that as part of "Green New Deal." What I've seen so far, it amounts to nothing more than having more solar pannels and higher fuel economy standards on our gigantic SUVs.

It doesn't matter if the US bans new oil wells if we import more oil from Canada instead. We need to decarbonize the economy and remove the processes that emit greenhouse gasses and in doing so we will cease expanding our fossil fuel resource extractions and mostly shutter the industry. Focusing on stopping new wells is putting the cart before the horse and isn't a really meaningful goal in and of itself.

But then again, even Obama tried to do more than what you're claiming so maybe you're just not really looking that hard.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

extremely real and not fake site usatoday-go.com, lol

Yeah, figured it out myself. I guess I was too eager to believe it.
It is me, I am the russian bot!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Calling it now, the anonymous New York Times guy is Rudy Giuliani.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
He's been yelling at us about trump crimes for a year now, and is growing more and more panicked as nothing is being done.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

drilldo squirt posted:

Calling it now, the anonymous New York Times guy is Rudy Giuliani.

No way its Rudy, the op-ed didn't contradict itself every other paragraph.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Zil posted:

No way its Rudy, the op-ed didn't contradict itself every other paragraph say 9/11 every other sentence.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Barack Obama praises “Medicare for All” in Election Speech

Thanks for your support, Obama! Too bad you were never in a position to push for MfA!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Barack Obama praises “Medicare for All” in Election Speech

Thanks for your support, Obama! Too bad you were never in a position to push for MfA!

Or being responsible for killing it!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://twitter.com/funder/status/1038280501444988928
There's something deeply ironic about Merrick Garland being the person they want to review this.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

loving :lol: if Kavanaugh goes down for lying about e-mails

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chud blood is in the water.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

The Maroon Hawk posted:

loving :lol: if Kavanaugh goes down for lying about e-mails

I may die laughing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

King of Solomon posted:

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1038280501444988928
There's something deeply ironic about Merrick Garland being the person they want to review this.

Dworkin is a loving grifter and this is misleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/salazarsenate18/status/1039542597411373056?s=21

The whole situation with Salazar confuses me but this is pretty poo poo.

• Locked thread