Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ginette Reno posted:

Didn't Numenoreans at the height of their power live to like 400?

Elros lived to be 500 and his descendants steadily died younger and younger. Pharazôn died at 201, at which time he was motivated by terror of his impending death. But Elendil lives for over 300 years and is still hale enough to wrastle Sauron at the end of it.

e: by the late third age though even morally upstanding Dunedain of the best possible birth didn’t live to 200 though, which is why it’s a big deal that Aragorn does. The stewards of Gondor by contrast lived only a little longer than moderns do.

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The orcs having an incredibly long lifespan and a semi-normal rate of reproduction, however it may be, goes a long way to explaining how there's always so loving many of them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Long lifespans seems to be the natural order of things in middle earth. If orcs are long lived then pretty much the only sub-century sentient beings are fallen humans (who, if their own oral folklore is to be believed, are being punished with said short lifespans)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Long lifespans seems to be the natural order of things in middle earth. If orcs are long lived then pretty much the only sub-century sentient beings are fallen humans (who, if their own oral folklore is to be believed, are being punished with said short lifespans)

Weren't Numenoreans rewarded with long life, while regular men live Earth-typical lifespans? I found http://lotrproject.com/statistics/ through googling, it seems like non-Numenoreans averaged 80 years while Numenoreans and their descendants averaged 237 years, with a standard deviation of 88 years, a full normal-man lifespan. The numbers are apparently pulled from characters described in the books.

In Middle Earth it seems like being extraordinary in any way tends to confer actual tangible benefits: a good king might live especially long and be strong until his death, a particularly evil beast will just get bigger and older. It's a world built on god-songs that's been reshaped from a flat plane to a sphere. Trees apparently grew/existed before there was any light but starlight.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elros is also the descendent of elves and a Maiar.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

Weren't Numenoreans rewarded with long life, while regular men live Earth-typical lifespans? I found http://lotrproject.com/statistics/ through googling, it seems like non-Numenoreans averaged 80 years while Numenoreans and their descendants averaged 237 years, with a standard deviation of 88 years, a full normal-man lifespan. The numbers are apparently pulled from characters described in the books.

In Middle Earth it seems like being extraordinary in any way tends to confer actual tangible benefits: a good king might live especially long and be strong until his death, a particularly evil beast will just get bigger and older. It's a world built on god-songs that's been reshaped from a flat plane to a sphere. Trees apparently grew/existed before there was any light but starlight.

I was referring to one of the essays in some volume of HoME, which says that the edain believed humans were originally immortal but were punished with mortality for worshipping morgoth

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Elros is also the descendent of elves and a Maiar.

Was every single Numenorean a descendant of Elros? Who got chosen to be one of them?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No but the House if Elros included many regents and lasted to Aragorn and his kids

So comparing them to the general population seems wrong. I can’t believe there is a Tolkien stats webpage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Was every single Numenorean a descendant of Elros? Who got chosen to be one of them?

Are you one of the Edain? Still in Beleriand after the gods beat the poo poo out of it (and Morgoth)? Ok you can come live on an island in the middle of the ocean and get out of this hellhole. Elros just got put in charge by default, he was like the only human(ish) royal left alive at this point. He was the male line heir of the House of Hador, his only relations had turned into elves or divinities, and the houses of Beor and of Haleth had gotten pretty much exterminated.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pham Nuwen posted:

Sunlight is just starlight from less far away.

Except the one star that's an Elf in a sailboat but that happened after sunlight, obviously.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sassassin posted:

Except the one star that's an Elf in a sailboat but that happened after sunlight, obviously.

The sun isn't a star in the published Silmarillion (though it is in some of the late-life revisions in the final volumes of HoME iirc)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sassassin posted:

But the sun's just a Maia in a sailboat carrying a big fruit.

And the brightest / best stars are the ones made from the dew of the trees that produced the fruit and flower that are the Sun and Moon, respectively.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The astronomical impossibility of the BOLT/QS sun was a major motivating factor in the whole concept behind the “Myths Transformed” stuff. Obviously all these things must be only mannish myths, because the elves (as Tolkien conceived of them at this point) wouldn’t have been wrong about such basic questions as heliocentrism.

e: might also be worth noting that at one point in the development of the Errantry/“Eärendil was a mariner” poem, specifically at the critical point where the comic protagonist of the original poem begins to take on characteristics previously ascribed to Eärendil, the poem represents the (still nameless) protagonist as traveling to the sun and undergoing some kind of transfiguration or apotheosis. This dropped out of the final text of course, and to my knowledge neither JRRT nor Chris ever wrote anything further about it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 5, 2018

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's something fascinating about the Sil's idea that the earth was originally flat, but became "bent" to shut off the true West. It's a really weird blending of ancient and, well, slightly-less-ancient ideas about the shape of the earth that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

There's something fascinating about the Sil's idea that the earth was originally flat, but became "bent" to shut off the true West. It's a really weird blending of ancient and, well, slightly-less-ancient ideas about the shape of the earth that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Elves are the original flat earthers

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ginette Reno posted:

Elves are the original flat earthers

Well, that explains why the entire southern hemisphere seems to have been left out...

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, that explains why the entire southern hemisphere seems to have been left out...

The southern hemisphere is exactly as important in Tolkien's fictional work as it was in the cultural and literary contexts he cared about in the real world.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone yet discovered good prose in the mythos?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes but it’s in HOME.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Has anyone yet discovered a good post in my history?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Me, I like the books that JRR Tolkien wrote. I think they're good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Are the books any good?"
"Well I like them."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

"Well I like them."

Hey, fans of these books, I don't like them, so please write an essay for my benefit on why they're good

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

"Well I like them."

Yes this is how subjective judgements work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Has anyone yet discovered good prose in the mythos?
Is good prose still considered to be about murder and cannibalism without punctuation or did the critical taste move on from McCarthy yet

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hold on, I'll check the Official List of Things That Are Definitely Good and get back to you

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

Is good prose still considered to be about murder and cannibalism without punctuation or did the critical taste move on from McCarthy yet

McCarthy’s writing rules whatever he’s writing about. Hes purple as gently caress and totally unashamed of it. The punctuation is just marketing/image.

quote:

He looked at a world of incredible loveliness. Old distaff Celt's blood in some back chamber of his brain moved him to discourse with the birches, with the oaks. A cool green fire kept breaking in the woods and he could hear the footsteps of the dead. Everything had fallen from him. He scarce could tell where his being ended or the world began nor did he care. He lay on his back in the gravel, the earth's core sucking his bones, a moment's giddy vertigo with this illusion of falling outward through blue and windy space, over the offside of the planet, hurtling through the high thin cirrus.

Come on, how can you not be entertained by that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skasion posted:

It’s sacerdotal work conducted by women of high rank. Tolkien’s description of the unusual method by which the Valinorean grain must be harvested (no blade can be used to harvest the ear, the grain must be stored in containers woven of the stalks of the plant) make its religious purpose clear enough. Lembas isn’t widely eaten, it’s a sacred bread for special purpose. The (exclusively female) masters of the art keep their baking practice a total secret from male loremasters such as Pengolodh, our author, and are named for a god whose conduct they are ritually re-enacting. Conclusion: elven noblewomen are not hippies but brahmins, which is also (explicitly) why they never go to war and (implicitly) why elven noblemen never, ever chase human noblewomen.

elven noblemen hardly ever chase human noblewomen because humans don't have tentacle vaginas

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

And we go now to live footage of Isildur, who is currently trying to transport a giant marble across Arnor

https://twitter.com/RaminNasibov/status/1038778772420481024

Speculation abounds that he will soon challenge the Dark Lord Sauron to a no-holds barred game of three-uppie keepsies, the winner to take the Ring for his own

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyjoyBastard posted:

elven noblemen hardly ever chase human noblewomen because humans don't have tentacle vaginas

That's just science and it's a good thing we got it all figured out

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Wait. What?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Marijuana posted:

Wait. What?

Ancient thread meme about how elven pussy looks like a Lovecraft monster

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Furthermore, positing that elf men can’t get a hardon, the elf woman junk is what makes their dick erect, explaining why if there were elf male/human female pairs they had no offspring

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xibanya posted:

Furthermore, positing that elf men can’t get a hardon, the elf woman junk is what makes their dick erect, explaining why if there were elf male/human female pairs they had no offspring

someobody find and relink the post so I don't waste half a day looking for it again

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

The hilarious thing is read this entire fuckin thread last spring, but I don't remember this at all.

e: It might be because my brain was like, "Ah, it looks the Bad Thread stopped by for a visit. Time to skim."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532243&userid=186607

wait nevermind that's the one about Elise's parents breaking up over the nature of the Istari

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Yeah, I didn't read any of that poo poo. Sorry, elise!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
http://pyrrhiccomedy.tumblr.com/post/152255810742/first-things-first-we-actually-do-know-what-elves No idea who this tumblr is or whether its properly credited, but I think this is Elise's original post in full.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

http://pyrrhiccomedy.tumblr.com/post/152255810742/first-things-first-we-actually-do-know-what-elves No idea who this tumblr is or whether its properly credited, but I think this is Elise's original post in full.

They do credit elise at the end of the post only its ascribed to the 'ask me about making fantasy dildoes' thread and not this one (where I believe it was reposted or a link was provided).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Elise’s OG post came from the fantasy dildos a/t because someone wanted a dildo based off elf physiology and you can’t unring that bell, lmao I forgot about that post, it’s hilarious